daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #161
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Having seen the clip with the Green Line ride (post #130) it seemes to me that the line goes from nowhere to nowhere. There are only few houses seen from the train, not really dense populated area along the whole route at all. Let's hope, they will develope this zone soon, so that there will come ppl to use this new line.
DART has been built very heavily around the Park and Ride model, and Texas doesn't really have much in the way of zoning regulation. Nevertheless it should get some pretty good ridership (By US standards) because it hit several good destinations along it's route, the way the ROW is oriented just makes it difficult to see.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #162
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I should also note that alot of Transit Orientated Development has been built/sprouting up around the stations (ala Arlington, VA). Which has been very effective in spurring ridership increases.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #163
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Having seen the clip with the Green Line ride (post #130) it seemes to me that the line goes from nowhere to nowhere. There are only few houses seen from the train, not really dense populated area along the whole route at all. Let's hope, they will develope this zone soon, so that there will come ppl to use this new line.
The areas served, especially north of downtown Dallas, are actually quite dense. I wouldn't be surprised if ridership rapidly exceeds expectations. This is definitely not a line to nowhere.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #164
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I should also note that alot of Transit Orientated Development has been built/sprouting up around the stations (ala Arlington, VA). Which has been very effective in spurring ridership increases.
Now if only we could get the line to go to Arlington, TX. Supposedly it is the nation's largest city with absolutely no public transit.
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #165
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

^ That is truly bizzare. Doesn't it even have wheel trans for the disabled and elderly?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #166
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
^ That is truly bizzare. Doesn't it even have wheel trans for the disabled and elderly?
The platforms at stations have short raised areas to allow Wheelchair users to board the train. And the recent retrofit of the DART trains added a new Low-Floor segment in the middle to allow people to get on without climbing up steps, though oddly enough, Wheelchairs still have to use the little raised platforms to board. If you were asking about bus service, well DART provides that to most stations as well, they're just a bit difficult to see given the chosen angle of the video.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #167
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2244

Usa cities in general don't have transport system that rocks like the rest of the world! It's a pity but it is normal because historically people use much more cars
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #168
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
Usa cities in general don't have transport system that rocks like the rest of the world! It's a pity but it is normal because historically people use much more cars
So ur judging the entire country by one city....very pathetic....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:02 AM   #169
Axelferis

excuse me i don't want to polemic but i don't see even in Dallas trhread a solid stunning new project of urban deplacement.

if you have please give me the link! i'm a fan of what is well done worldwide! i have no preconceived ideas
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #170
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Quote:
excuse me i don't want to polemic but i don't see even in Dallas trhread a solid stunning new project of urban deplacement.

if you have please give me the link! i'm a fan of what is well done worldwide! i have no preconceived ideas
go to www.dart.org
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM   #171
Axelferis

sorry but i don't see what i call a 21st century metro like in Asia, paris or barcelona.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #172
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
sorry but i don't see what i call a 21st century metro like in Asia, paris or barcelona.
look at Philly , LA , DC , Nova , Seattle , Portland .....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #173
Axelferis

gimme the link please
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #174
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
gimme the link please
Washington Metro
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #175
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
There's a grain of truth to what you're saying. American transit systems generally don't look "spectacular" like Moscow's immaculate neo-classical stations or Naples' "modern art"-looking stations. New York and Boston, in particular, have some pretty awful-looking subway stations. Washington DC, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Los Angleles (all of which have much newer systems) have more attractive facilities.

Getting funding to build and maintain these systems in the U.S. is tough as it is; attempts at beautification would be regarded as a waste of taxpayer money. Americans are pretty conservative when it comes to design trends in general (for fun, compare American banknotes with Euros and see what I mean), so anything we build is likely to lack the "knock your socks off" edgy appeal of some newer European or Asian projects. We're more concerned with functionality, and the public realm has become far less important to American life post 1950, for a variety of reasons, hence the banal-looking buildings and infrastructure we typically construct today.

As far as building new Metros, we seem to be taking the most economical route and building a lot of light rail instead of heavy rail like most of the rest of the world. Once again, it's due to lack of public interest in funding these projects. Subway construction costs far more in the U.S. than anywhere else it seems, and construction in general is subject to lengthy environmental and community reviews (and is often scuttled by vested interests hostile to public transportation). And of course, highways and roads are generally seen as more important than mass transit, so comparatively little funding goes towards these types of urban rail projects. I think our use of light rail is a mistake in many cases (Los Angeles and Seattle, in particular) as it doesn't scale up well, and isn't "future proofed" against an increase in demand, but it seems to be the best we can do for now.

Add into all this the current political and economic situation of the U.S. and it's a wonder any big rail projects are happening at all (witness the cancellation of the ARC project in NJ and the scuttling of HSR in the Midwest). Give Dallas some credit; they're doing well enough under bad circumstances and have built the largest interurban rail system in Texas (puts Houston's one-line train to shame), even if they're not building a massive heavy-rail subway like Shanghai at breakneck speed.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #176
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Please define what a 21st century metro looks like.

In America, the best subway systems, Boston, New York, Chicago and Washington, D.C. all are great. D.C. is the nicest of them, then again it is also the youngest and by a large margin. For example the Metro was built over 60 years after the T was in Boston.

Having nice subway stations doesn't matter. Having clean stations, with service that is reliable and extensive is more important. You look at a city like Seattle, they have a nice gleaming new system, but it is very small and not nearly as useful as the the system is in Chicago.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #177
Axelferis

Modern metro?

Line 14 Paris
Line 9-10 Barcelona
Beijing
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #178
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Modern metro?

Line 14 Paris
Line 9-10 Barcelona
Beijing
Again the US also has modern subways/heavy rail systems.

Aside from the Washington Metro, we also have the BART in San Francisco, Metrorail in Miami and Los Angeles, and MARTA in Atlanta all of which are recently built.
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #179
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

Here is some information on the Green Line Station Art & Design Program:

http://www.dart.org/about/publicart/...tgreenline.asp

The Green Line opens this weekend! http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/...turday2010.asp

or VIEW THE PDF BROCHURE: http://www.dart.org/about/publicart/...ineArt2010.pdf

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; November 30th, 2010 at 12:20 AM.
dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #180
dfwcre8tive

Likes (Received): 26

Green Line service (and Lake Highlands Station on the Blue Line) began today!

New Green Line 'starts to complete' DART vision
09:08 AM CST on Sunday, December 5, 2010
By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]ews.com
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.1bf8a3c.html

After nearly 30 years – and $7.4 billion in sales taxes collected – Texas' most ambitious experiment with public transit enters a new era Monday, when Dallas Area Rapid Transit trains begin running full-time on the new Green Line from southern Dallas all the way north to Carrollton.

The new line makes DART the largest light-rail system in the United States, an accomplishment that comes just a generation after the agency's creation. With larger trains, a longer route and stops at two of Dallas' largest medical centers, the $1.8 billion Green Line is more than just big: It begins to deliver on three decades of promises to make rail relevant throughout its service area.

"The Green Line really starts to complete the rail service" as envisioned in the 1980s, said DART president Gary Thomas, who has overseen the agency for nearly a decade. By connecting southeast Dallas, the Parkland hospital district, Love Field and beyond, "it really starts to complete the system."

INTERACTIVE MAP: http://www.dallasnews.com/database/2010/greenline.html

DART INFORMATION: http://www.dart.org/news/news.asp?id=942

Last edited by dfwcre8tive; December 6th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.
dfwcre8tive no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas, dart, light rail transit, texas