daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Talls: Other Skyscrapers

Rate Our Talls: Other Skyscrapers for other notable highrises

Old September 23rd, 2002, 10:13 PM   #21
Vesle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonhouse
I will soon create a special announcement for this forum that will list the 100 tallest highrises in the World, so that folks may be able to include the ranking and basic statistics as part of thier threads...
Good idea. -And may I suggest every forumer who can afford it, and has a little self respect to buy 100 of the world's tallest buildings -This book fits so well into the subjetc. It's a "must buy book" for every "rate our tallest" fan.
Vesle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 26th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #22
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

so, now there's a rate Our Talls. Can I start a new trend out of rate our talls?

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #23
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

YAY!
I've been waiting for the TOP 100 buildings!!!

Just curious, what will happen to all the other buildings that aint in the top100??
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 11:16 AM   #24
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Vesle, if I'm not wrong that book is out of print. Amazon claims a new version is coming out in Aug 2002 but no news so far.
I could only contend with borrowing it from the library
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:27 PM   #25
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 509

Buildings not in the Top 100 will have thier own ROT forum that will be open to new threads. the Top 100 ROT forum will be a closed forum that can only receive replies and votes, but not new threads (unless a mod does it)...This probably won't occur for some time though, for varying reasons...

BTW, I was going to create an announcement with a list of the TOP 100 buildings, but I am having trouble locating multiple lists (I want more than one source). I will likely use the list that Skyscrapers.com has compiled, so long as they don't object (I doubt they will, so long as a cite them and provide a weblink for them)...

I also want to use the official Council on Tall Buildings list... Does anyone have record of it? I don't want to have to pay for a membership just to get a little info.
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #26
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I would have thought that skyscrapers.com got their list from official Council on Tall Buildings.

Previously DMac based his ranking on the skyscraperpage.com diagrams based on roof heights. Are u not using that?
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:14 AM   #27
Jasonhouse

I don't know. I was going to post 2 or 3 sources, and then sorta try to get a consensus from everyone on what they felt was the fairest, most logical way to measure hieght. But I guess that we don't need a building list to decide that...

My vote goes to using roof hieghts, but that isn't necessarily the standard.
Old September 27th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #28
Vesle

I'd go for the roof hight too...

@Raffles, I hope a new book by Urban Habitat on Tall Buildings is on its way, but the old one was also good... a bit dated, I know...

A 100 tallest list in here would be nice to see, but a 200 or perhaps 300 tallest list would be much better.

Actually a list about all buildings from the 100th-200th tallest would be better than a list from the tallest to the 100th tallest, because we already know about most of the 100 tallest, if not them all.
Vesle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #29
RafflesCity
By Spirit

We should and can do 101-200, however we should like label them Showcase1, Showcase 2 etc.

I'm fine with any list we use, and you'll be surprised how much people love to see their favourite skyscrapers again
The most exciting thing of this top100 is that we want to see which are the MOST POPULAR buildings based on OUR choice. (of averaged scores). This is something that cannot be found in any book.

The spires vs roof debate will NOT end if thrown open to the public.

I say put the foot down and start the ball rolling!
Old September 27th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #30
D-Mac
Old School

Likes (Received): 5

Well at the old forum the threads were done in order based on roof height, but that was CityGod's idea when he started the threads. I would like to do it based on structural height (i.e. the skyscrapers.com top 100), since that is the standard that tall buildings are ranked using, as decided by the CTBUH. I couldn't do it before since the series was already under way when I took over.

I'm also a bit reluctant to use the skyscraperpage.com list because during the series at WSF, the order of buildings actually changed at one point! Some people may have noticed that First Canadian Place appeared out of order, that was because for some reason that building moved up the ranking from a number coming up in a week to a number that was already done a week prior!

Vesle, I would also like to see the list go past 100. I figure I'll start with 100, then at a slower pace (since it is very time consuming to prepare all these threads) go on to 200 and maybe even more. It's all part of the great plan.

I would like to get started on this as soon as possible, as I told Jasonhouse before, but apparantly there will be some delays. It's kind of too bad, since if I had just continued with the threads the way it was going before, we would be getting close to finishing by now. Anyway, I completely agree, Raffles, let's get going!
D-Mac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #31
Jasonhouse

OK... We will use STRUCTURAL hieght... And that's the end of that...

As far as the whole modding/forum thing, I still don't know what is going on with that. Jan doesn't want to create any new space or forums until he gets the server issue settling once and for all, and that should be quite soon. He gave up on hosts, and is moving to a costly dedicated server within days.

DMAC, you can create those threads all you want and place them in the current ROT forum. It will be no trouble at all to move them to the dedicated Top 100 forum that I will create at a later time.

I'm going to re-rank the few that are already up, since we are gong to use the "structural top" standard.
Old September 27th, 2002, 11:58 PM   #32
D-Mac
Old School

Likes (Received): 5

If it's only a few days, I can wait. It will be easier to do everything at once on the separate forum where I can put in the votes from WSF at the same time.

A dedicated server eh? $$$$
D-Mac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #33
Sunflower

Likes (Received):

Why are there now 2 'rate our talls' forums?
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #34
Jasonhouse

Because one will contain the World's Tallest 100, and the other will be an open forum, for folks to create thier own "Rate Our Tall" threads of thier favorite buildings that aren't part of the World's Top 100. We will open the Top 100 forum when it has been filled with at least the top 25 buildings or so...
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:44 PM   #35
RafflesCity
By Spirit

a) Will the Top100 be closed after each building receives a given number of votes?

b) Will voters be limited to 3 per week as previously?

(I am impatient )
Old October 1st, 2002, 08:56 PM   #36
Jasonhouse

All 100 will be posted as soon as we can get them up. Since we have been delayed a bit, I will likely open the forum as soon as we have about 25 or so ready to go... People will be able to vote and comment on each and every building (only once, of course)...The forum will be closed so that no other threads can be created within it, though I will create a sticky thread for folks to leave comments about the concept itself....
Old October 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM   #37
DrumCorpsAlum
Phoenix, AZ/Camden, SC

About the rate our talls section.

Man, what a great way to learn more about skyscrapers, as far as building identification goes. Hard to explain, but you know what I mean. I'm sure you all agree.

Cheers!
DrumCorpsAlum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2002, 06:27 AM   #38
Caledon1981
---------

yeah man . . i would never thought of Columbia until I heard of you!
Old October 9th, 2002, 07:40 PM   #39
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I want to thank all the mods who had the vision to create ROT100 and this section. And especially DMac for painstakingly searching for pictures to create the thread.
I hope anyone who has unique pictures contributes..I will if I can find some myself. This forum rocks!!
Old October 9th, 2002, 11:47 PM   #40
Sunflower

Likes (Received):

agreed