daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #2201
Tawny

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suissetralia View Post
hope so! anyway they will have one less plane so maybe they substitute my flight with another plane which route was this A380 flying? London-Sydney?
Yeah, London to Sydney and it had just taken off after a refuelling stop in Singapore.
Tawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #2202
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=rss

Quote:
Qantas, Singapore Airlines ground all A380 flights
Published 11:15 PM, 4 Nov 2010 Last update 2:10 AM, 5 Nov 2010

Reuters

SINGAPORE - Qantas Airways and Singapore Airlines suspended flights of Airbus A380 superjumbos after engine failure forced an emergency landing in Singapore.

One passenger reported hearing a "massive bang" before the aircraft turned back and Indonesian TV showed pictures of debris on the ground near Batam airport which it said belonged to the Qantas plane.

Authorities said none of the 459 people on board the Qantas flight was hurt in the most serious incident for the world's largest passenger plane in three years of commercial flight.

"This was a significant engine failure," Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce told reporters in Sydney. "We are not underestimating the significance of this issue."

Qantas A380s use Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines. Rolls-Royce, whose shares were down more than 5 per cent, said it was working with authorities to understand the incident.

Planemaker Airbus said it will provide full technical assistance to Australian and French accident investigators.

One of the Airbus A380's four Rolls-Royce engines failed minutes after it had left Singapore for Sydney. Qantas chief executive Joyce said the plane was capable of flying on two engines.

Passengers said they saw parts of the engine fall off.

"I just heard this massive bang, like a shotgun going off," Tyler Wooster told Australia's Network Nine television. "Part of the skin had peeled off and you could see the foam underneath, pieces of broken wires sticking out."

The flight had begun in London.

Qantas, which operates six A380s, said it was grounding the aircraft pending a full investigation. Three A380 flights scheduled for Thursday, one originating in Sydney and two in Los Angeles, have been scrapped.

"We will suspend all A380 takeoffs until we are fully confident we have sufficient information about (flight) QF32," Mr Joyce told reporters.

Singapore Airlines said it will delay all flights on its A380 fleet pending precautionary checks recommended by Airbus and Rolls-Royce.

It was not immediately clear how many flights would be affected or for how long.

Investigation

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was leading the investigation into the incident, Mr Joyce said. Passengers will stay in Singapore overnight and another plane will be dispatched for them on Friday morning.

Initial media reports said the plane had crashed after an explosion over the Indonesian island of Batam, near Singapore.

There have been no fatal incidents involving A380s since they were launched in 2005 as the greenest, quietest -- as well as the biggest -- jetliner. Shares in Airbus parent company EADS were down more than four per cent by 1245 GMT. Qantas shares were little changed.

Emirates [EMIRA.UL] said it was not considering suspending flights as its engines are from a different supplier. European airlines Air France and Lufthansa said they would continue to use the aircraft as normal.

The plane involved in the incident was built in 2008.

More than 200 orders have been placed for the A380, and 37 are in operation worldwide, according to Airbus. The plane cost $US17 billion to develop and has been dogged by production delays.

Qantas has never had a fatal accident. A mid-air explosion blew a minivan-size hole in the side of a Qantas 747-400 in 2008 which Australian air safety investigators blamed on an oxygen bottle.

One of the planes operated by Qantas burst two tyres this year when landing in Sydney, and in September 2009 an A380 was forced to turn around in mid-flight and return to Paris.

"This is probably the most serious incident involving the A380 since it began flying in commercial service," said aviation expert Tom Ballantyne, chief correspondent of Orient Aviation magazine. "There have been minor engine incidents before but nothing like this."

Singapore's Channel NewsAsia said the plane circled Singapore to burn fuel before making an emergency landing.

Former aircraft engineer Neil Shephard was on board.

"Four or five minutes after the flight (took off) there was a loud bang," he told Reuters. "The pilot said there was a technical issue with the plane and then we circled around for an hour to dump the fuel. During the landing, it was a bit wobbly."

Passengers were kept informed at all times, others who were on board said.

"It appears from the images of the plane that one of the engines has experienced a failure and it looks to be a fairly massive internal failure at that," said Peter Marosszeky at the University of New South Wales' aviation department.

"This failure has caused some of the engine ducting known as bypass ducting to depart from the engine. This type of incident has been seen previously but it was a long time ago and with much older planes than the A380."

A Reuters reporter said the plane was surrounded on the ground by emergency vehicles but there was no sign of any smoke or fire. One of the four nacelles -- structures that house the engines -- was missing and there appeared to be charring around that area of the plane.

Mr Rusdi, a witness in Batam, told Indonesia's Metro TV: "After an explosion, the plane was still moving but smoke was trailing from one of its wings."

Indonesian volcano Mount Merapi has erupted several times in the past week, spewing ash into the sky, but is several hundred miles from the A380's flightpath.

Thursday's incident came just days before Qantas was due to celebrate its 90th anniversary with a special open day in Brisbane.
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2203
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18158

Damage was rare but potentially life threatening
5 November 2010
The Sydney Morning Herald

THE damage suffered by Qantas flight 32 en route to Sydney has been described by leading aircraft engineers as potentially life threatening and extremely rare.

The federal president of the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association, Paul Cousins, said photos of a damaged engine casing were evidence of an explosion that could have damaged the wing and flight controls, which would have made it difficult to land the plane.

An aircraft engineer, Peter Marosszeky, from the University of NSW, said the aircraft's appearance suggested a chain reaction leading to massive engine failure.

A dark patch near the top of the exposed turbine was probably a hole caused by the ejection of a turbine blade from the engine, and heat marks on the white casing showed the engine had overheated. "I rarely ever see a failure like this on any engine," he said.

It was unlikely that debris from the explosion had damaged the body of the aircraft because the speed of air travelling over the wing would force projectiles away from the aircraft, Mr Marosszeky said.

Mr Cousins said that after the damage occurred the crew members would have received warning of excessive vibration.

They would have followed strict procedures to shut off fuel supply and electricity to the engine to prevent further damage. "This is where a pilot's instinct takes over as well," he said.

Mr Cousins estimated that fewer than 5 per cent of engine failures involved debris leaving the casing of the engine.

The initial cause of the failure might have been a fracture to a turbine blade or other part caused by general wear and tear, a bird strike or excessive heating.

"Once they have a fracture and a breakage occurs, they can certainly unbalance the engine and cause it to fail," he said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2204
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4959

It takes that long to dump fuel! Pretty surprised by that.
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2205
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8963

"We have a technical issue with no.2 engine."

"In other words no.2 engine blowed away its fairing due to an internal explosion. Furthermore some debris penetrated the wing and caused some damage to no.1 engine. We don´t know exactly how serious the damage is but we will return to Singapore immediately. In the meantime please enjoy the view on Batam Island, the new home of the missing parts of our airplane. Thank you and goodby!"
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2206
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
"We have a technical issue with no.2 engine."

"In other words no.2 engine blowed away its fairing due to an internal explosion. Furthermore some debris penetrated the wing and caused some damage to no.1 engine. We don´t know exactly how serious the damage is but we will return to Singapore immediately. In the meantime please enjoy the view on Batam Island, the new home of the missing parts of our airplane. Thank you and goodby!"
That's awesome, definitely helps to clam the pax. On the other hand, this is an extremely serious incident, even when an external force call the turbine fan blade to separate it shouldn't penetrate the fairing and strike other parts of the aircraft. If the debris indeed damaged No1 engine and cause it to lose power then the captain will be forced to reduce power on No4 engine and full thrust on No3 engine, making things a lot more complicated.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2207
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8963

Don´t get me wrong. The second part of my post was totally fabricated by me.
I tried to show what a downplaying and understatement the captain´s sentence with the "technical issue" was.

However if I was the pilot I would tell my passengers exactly the same what I have written beneath the youtube video.
Black humour is always the best way to calm down people in such situations.

EDIT: Oh, and the damage to no.1 engine was reported by some media. They couldn´t shut this engine down after the landing and there was fuel leaking out of this engine too.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #2208
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 989

No point telling the passengers that they're doomed & to say their prayers!
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #2209
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
That's awesome, definitely helps to clam the pax. On the other hand, this is an extremely serious incident, even when an external force call the turbine fan blade to separate it shouldn't penetrate the fairing and strike other parts of the aircraft. If the debris indeed damaged No1 engine and cause it to lose power then the captain will be forced to reduce power on No4 engine and full thrust on No3 engine, making things a lot more complicated.
It could have been a terrible accident, but fortunately that hasn't been the case.
As I've read passengers were calm at every moment, and the plane still didn't land until two hours after the "explosion".

I guess that Qantas and Singapore are now going through serious difficulties, as a result of grounding their whole A380 fleet.
We must admit that these companies' real number one priority is security.

Let's hope this situation is solved soon.

Cheers.
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #2210
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

I wonder if the emergency landing options for A380s are significantly diminished due to its infrastructural demands of sizing of facilities airports that only a small number can accommodate.
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #2211
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #2212
spongeg

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #2213
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6456

*cough* results of offshore servicing *cough*
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #2214
manila_playa87
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The big one's not far away for Qantas based on a string of recent incidents...
manila_playa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #2215
spongeg

Old November 5th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #2216
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I doubt outsourcing has to do with it, since those companies service other airlines and you don't see their engines exploding and falling apart.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #2217
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6456

You know that Qantas rarely had problems and was the worlds safest airline before they subcontracted servicing outside of Australia.

They're now having to deny outsourcing in the problem,

Quote:
"The accusations that somehow we're damaging safety by taking shortcuts on maintenance is just outrageous and it's not true.''
Quote:
ALAEA federal secretary Steve Purvinas said safety was a growing concern for Qantas engineers, with continued outsourcing of maintenance work.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/qan...-1225948039132
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #2218
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Qantas blasts claims
5 November 2010
Sydney MX

The boss of Qantas today angrily hit out at ``outrageous'' union claims that outsourced engine maintenance was responsible for the mid-air engine explosion on one of its new A380 superliners.

CEO Alan Joyce said the airline strongly denied outsourced maintenance had anything to do with engine failure on QF32 soon after takeoff from Singapore.

``To actually say that this is an issue because of overseas maintenance is outrageous,'' he told Melbourne radio's 3AW.

``The fact is that these aircraft are . . . new aircraft, the engines are new, the engine has been maintained by Rolls-Royce, the manufacturer, since we have been given the engine.

``This is not an issue with overseas maintenance and it's the union making these outrageous claims for an industrial relations agenda that I think is quite outrageous and quite damaging in the current environment.''

The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association today claimed that sending engineering operations overseas to countries such as Singapore and Germany was harming Qantas's safety record and putting lives at risk.

``We have seen some pretty horrid results of maintenance from the overseas facilities, things that aren't reported in the press,'' association secretary Steve Purvinas said.

Meanwhile, Singapore Airlines' A380 fleet will return to service this afternoon after overnight checks cleared its Rolls-Royce engines of any defects.

The airline had grounded its 11 A380 aircraft on advice from the engine maker in the wake of yesterday's Qantas incident.

The port inboard engine of the double-decker A380 exploded six minutes after takeoff from Singapore's Changi Airport.

The super jumbo returned to Singapore two hours later.

Four Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigators travelled to Singapore to lead the investigation.

Old November 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #2219
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Qantas CEO Joyce Blames Rolls-Royce For Engine Failure
5 November 2010

SYDNEY (Dow Jones)--Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN.AU) Chief Executive Alan Joyce on Friday blamed the design of Rolls-Royce Group Plc (RR.LN) engines for a technical failure that forced one of its A380 super jumbos to make an emergency landing in Singapore soon after taking off for its destination of Sydney.

"This issue does not relate to maintenance. This is an engine issue and the engines were maintained by Rolls-Royce since they have been installed on the aircraft," Joyce told reporters at the company's headquarters in Sydney. "We believe this is most likely a material failure or some kind of design issue," he said, averting the gaze from Qantas firmly to the Trent 900 engine made by the U.K.-based engine manufacturer.

"Rolls Royce have identified a number of potential areas where (the problem) could have occurred," Joyce said. "We have sufficient information now, of looking at what happened on the engine, to make a view of the likely causes."

Shares in Rolls-Royce traded sharply lower in London yesterday following the incident. The Derby, U.K.-based engine manufacturer is locked in a struggle with the combined partnership of United Technologies Corp. (UTX) of the U.S. and General Electric Co. (GE) to supply engines to the new breed of super jumbos launched by Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic Defence & Space Co. (EAD.FR).

The dramatic midair incident Thursday--which occurred over Indonesian territory--tore apart the plane's No. 2 engine, causing damage to the wing and leaving a string of debris in its wake.

The airline has since grounded its fleet of six A380s for engine inspections by Rolls-Royce and Qantas engineers, a process expected to be completed within 48 hours.

"We are working closely with Rolls-Royce and Airbus," Joyce said, adding he expects the A380s back in service in "days, not weeks".

Joyce confirmed the aircraft's No. 1 engine could not be not shut down on landing and linked it to the impact of the No. 2 engine blow out. He said some of the aircraft's tires burst on landing due to the plane's weight and confirmed parts of the engine went into the wing of the aircraft and fell elsewhere.

Ian Sangston, general manager, aviation safety investigations at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, said there was no evidence to suggest foul play in the incident or no reason to believe the maintenance workers were at fault. He expects to have a factual report within four weeks but the entire investigation could take up to a year. He said the black boxes are back in Australia for analysis.

When Joyce was asked if Qantas had any prior information about an issue with the engine that malfunctioned, he said the airline did not.

The Qantas CEO said claims by some unions that the problems were linked to cutbacks in maintenance were "false and, in some cases, particularly outrageous by one particular union group", adding the "vast majority" of the airline's heavy maintenance is conducted in Australia.

The impact Thursday's incident will have on Qantas' bottom line is contingent on how long the A380s are out of commission.

From an operational perspective, a Macquarie analyst said the impact of the A380s not flying would be less than A$1 million a day on the earnings before interest and tax line, a result that wouldn't add up to a material impact on earnings at this stage.

Deutsche Bank said if the A380s were grounded for six months, international passenger numbers would fall by 378,000. Assuming the six-month scenario played out, the broker said that would spell an 11.5% reduction in fiscal 2011 per-share earnings.

Qantas share were down 1.4% to A$2.85 as of 0502 GMT in a broader Australian market was up 1.1%.

In the meantime, the airline is utilizing spare aircraft and hiring aircraft--some from rival British Airways Plc (BAIRY)--to maintain its services and is paying for passenger accommodation if they are stranded. The airline delayed Los Angeles and London flights today and will provide hotel accommodation for 1,000 passengers in Los Angeles and 200 in London. Qantas' fleet of A380s make up some 17% of the group's international business and the company is the second-largest buyer of the Airbus aircraft.

Old November 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #2220
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

If it could be a Engine problem then it should have occure the time of Delivery of Aircrafts or during 6-7 times of flights duration...it seems it didnt problem of Engines made by RR since Emirates is using the same Engines....It could be either Maintenance or other reason...
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways