daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2701
Vrooms
threeyearson.
 
Vrooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 9,676
Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...aily-with-a380
Quote:
Lufthansa to serve Beijing daily with A380
Published: 31/03/2011 - Filed under: News »

Lufthansa has obtained traffic rights to operate its A380 superjumbo on a daily basis between Frankfurt and Beijing from from April 10.

The German carrier currently serves Beijing with the A380 three-times weekly (departing Frankfurt on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday), with the other days being operated by Boeing 747 aircraft.

But from April 10 Lufthansa will increase this to a daily A380 service, stating that “Traffic rights have been secured with the support of Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Development up to 29 October 2011”.

German website airliners.de reports that the reasons for the previous limit included fire department regulations and a lack of appropriate de-icing equipment for the A380 aircraft at Beijing airport.

The news will be of interest not only to travellers based in Germany, but also those connecting via other European services at Lufthansa’s Frankfurt hub.

For more information on the carrier’s A380 aircraft and configuration, along with those of other A380 operators, click here.

Visit lufthansa.com.

Report by Mark Caswell
__________________
🔥🚀
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM   #2702
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,913
Likes (Received): 18181

Boeing: WTO Ruling Exposes Massive Airbus Advantage From Illegal Subsidies
31 March 2011

CHICAGO, March 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- A World Trade Organization final case ruling published today confirms the massive market advantage Airbus has enjoyed from billions in illegal government subsidies provided to fund the company's commercial airplane product line since its inception more than 40 years ago.

"This WTO ruling shatters the convenient myth that European governments must illegally subsidize Airbus to counter U.S. government assistance to Boeing," said J. Michael Luttig, Boeing (NYSE:BA) executive vice president and general counsel. "The ruling rejects 80 percent of the EU's claims against the U.S., finding no more than $2.7 billion of impermissible subsidies to Boeing not previously remedied. That amount includes $2.6 billion in NASA R&D funding, which is but a small fraction of the total amount challenged," Luttig said.

Today's ruling resulted from the European Union's attempt to counter a U.S. case that successfully challenged illegal subsidies to Airbus. Last June, the WTO upheld approximately 80% of the U.S. claim, finding Airbus had received more than $20 billion in illegal government subsidies, which harmed the U.S. aerospace industry and resulted in the loss of billions in exports and tens of thousands of U.S. jobs.

Illegal government subsidies to Airbus included:

* $1.5 billion in R&D subsidies,

* $1.7 billion in infrastructure subsidies,

* $2.2 billion in equity infusions, and

* $15 billion in launch aid (including $4 billion for the A380) - a subsidy that is unique to Airbus and is the most pernicious and market-distorting subsidy under the law.

"Comparing today's decision with the decision last June reveals a market distorted by Airbus' practices, with illegal launch aid being the key discriminator," Luttig said. "The WTO ruling on launch aid goes to the heart of the Airbus business model, which now must change. In contrast, there are no comparable findings or consequences to the U.S. or Boeing from today's decision, as the WTO has now fully and finally rejected most of the EU's claims."

Both sides may appeal today's ruling. Once any appeal concludes, Boeing will support whatever steps the U.S. government deems necessary to fulfill its WTO obligations, and expects the same commitment to compliance from Airbus and its sponsor governments.

"Illegal launch aid must end. Airbus must take immediate steps to withdraw the outstanding prohibited subsidies provided to the A380, and it must finance the A350 and all other future programs on commercial terms," Luttig said.

"With $16.6 billion of cash on hand, EADS/Airbus can, and now must, develop its products without illegal government subsidies," he added.

Luttig said the WTO had done an outstanding job adjudicating the subsidy dispute.

"An impartial arbiter has spoken, and has set important precedents for all nations with ambitions to grow their aerospace industries. Compliance with WTO rules is essential to fair play and to the public's confidence in the global trading system," he said.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #2703
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,913
Likes (Received): 18181

FAA Issues AD For Trent 900 Engine
28 March 2011
Air Safety Week
Vol. 25; Issue 13

FAA has issued an airworthiness directive (AD) covering Rolls-Royce RB211-Trent 900 series turbofan engines in the aftermath of an uncontained engine failure of a RB211 Trent 900 last November on a Qantas Airbus A380.

Investigations determined that an oil fire in the High Pressure/Immediate Pressure (HP/IP) structure cavity may have initiated a sequence of events leading the drive arm of the IP Turbine (IPT) disc to rupture, according to the AD.

Applicable to RR model RB211-Trent 970-84, 970B-84, 972-84, 972B-84, 977- 84, 977B-84, and 980-84 turbofan engines.

The engines are commonly installed on Airbus A380 aircrafts.

Following the Nov. 4 uncontained engine failure on the Qantas A380 operating from Singapore to Sydney, the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) issued AD 2010-0262, dated December 13, 2010 mandating new inspection requirements for the Trent 900.

FAA evaluated EASA's information, determining the unsafe condition is likely to exist or develop on other products of the same type design.

The FAA directive, announced March 18, is aimed at preventing overspeed of the intermediate pressure turbine, which could result in loss of disc integrity, an uncontained failure of the engine, and damage to the aircraft.

Rolls-Royce developed a modification of the Engine Electronic Controller (EEC) software, featuring an IPT Overspeed Protection System (IPTOS), detecting engine conditions that may potentially lead to an IP turbine overspeed causing an engine shutdown before the level of overspeed reaches the disc burst speed, the AD states.

The final rule is under authority described in Subtitle VII, Part A, Subpart III, Section 44701: General Requirements. This section allows Congress to charge the FAA with promoting safe civil aircraft flight through regulations, practices, methods, and procedures the Administrator finds necessary for air safety.

The AD, issued under 14 CFR Part 398, is filed in Docket No. FAA-2011- 0176. It becomes effective April 4.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:35 AM   #2704
Rachmaninov
Registered User
 
Rachmaninov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Posts: 3,188
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Boeing: WTO Ruling Exposes Massive Airbus Advantage From Illegal Subsidies
31 March 2011

CHICAGO, March 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- A World Trade Organization final case ruling published today confirms the massive market advantage Airbus has enjoyed from billions in illegal government subsidies provided to fund the company's commercial airplane product line since its inception more than 40 years ago.

"This WTO ruling shatters the convenient myth that European governments must illegally subsidize Airbus to counter U.S. government assistance to Boeing," said J. Michael Luttig, Boeing (NYSE:BA) executive vice president and general counsel. "The ruling rejects 80 percent of the EU's claims against the U.S., finding no more than $2.7 billion of impermissible subsidies to Boeing not previously remedied. That amount includes $2.6 billion in NASA R&D funding, which is but a small fraction of the total amount challenged," Luttig said.

Today's ruling resulted from the European Union's attempt to counter a U.S. case that successfully challenged illegal subsidies to Airbus. Last June, the WTO upheld approximately 80% of the U.S. claim, finding Airbus had received more than $20 billion in illegal government subsidies, which harmed the U.S. aerospace industry and resulted in the loss of billions in exports and tens of thousands of U.S. jobs.

Illegal government subsidies to Airbus included:

* $1.5 billion in R&D subsidies,

* $1.7 billion in infrastructure subsidies,

* $2.2 billion in equity infusions, and

* $15 billion in launch aid (including $4 billion for the A380) - a subsidy that is unique to Airbus and is the most pernicious and market-distorting subsidy under the law.

"Comparing today's decision with the decision last June reveals a market distorted by Airbus' practices, with illegal launch aid being the key discriminator," Luttig said. "The WTO ruling on launch aid goes to the heart of the Airbus business model, which now must change. In contrast, there are no comparable findings or consequences to the U.S. or Boeing from today's decision, as the WTO has now fully and finally rejected most of the EU's claims."

Both sides may appeal today's ruling. Once any appeal concludes, Boeing will support whatever steps the U.S. government deems necessary to fulfill its WTO obligations, and expects the same commitment to compliance from Airbus and its sponsor governments.

"Illegal launch aid must end. Airbus must take immediate steps to withdraw the outstanding prohibited subsidies provided to the A380, and it must finance the A350 and all other future programs on commercial terms," Luttig said.

"With $16.6 billion of cash on hand, EADS/Airbus can, and now must, develop its products without illegal government subsidies," he added.

Luttig said the WTO had done an outstanding job adjudicating the subsidy dispute.

"An impartial arbiter has spoken, and has set important precedents for all nations with ambitions to grow their aerospace industries. Compliance with WTO rules is essential to fair play and to the public's confidence in the global trading system," he said.
Good on Boeing eh? Luttig's logic seem to say "Airbus is worse so we (Boeing) are totally right in receiving no more than $2.7 billion of impermissible subsidies"

O God.
__________________
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2705
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,913
Likes (Received): 18181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Good on Boeing eh? Luttig's logic seem to say "Airbus is worse so we (Boeing) are totally right in receiving no more than $2.7 billion of impermissible subsidies"

O God.
Well, this isn't surprising. Bombardier has argued for years its Brazilian competitor Embraer also receives subsidies, although Bombardier itself isn't exactly the best example to showcase the world either.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM   #2706
babribeiro
Registered User
 
babribeiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 36
Likes (Received): 0

WTO condemns massive illegal Boeing subsidies
31 March 2011

http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news11_e/353r_e.htm

Boeing received “at least $5.3 billion” in “pervasive” and “distortive” subsidies causing $45 billion in harm
31 March 2011 Press Release

The World Trade Organisation (WTO) today publicly condemned the United States for giving Boeing massive illegal subsidies that caused Airbus to lose $45 billion in sales. This follows years of unfounded accusations and attempts to demonise Airbus, especially during the protracted campaign to win the US Air Force contract for Tanker aircraft.

“Finally the truth emerges: Boeing has received and continues to receive subsidies which have a significantly greater distortive effect than the Reimbursable Loans to Airbus, “ said Rainer Ohler, Airbus’ Head of Public Affairs and Communications. “Taking the cases together, the WTO has now specifically green-lighted the continued use of government loans in Europe and ordered Boeing to end its illegal cash support from US taxpayers. It’s time for Boeing to stop denying or minimizing the massive illegal subsidies it gets”.

The WTO-report published today confirms Airbus’s earlier predictions:

1 - Boeing would not have been able to launch the 787 without illegal subsidies.

“What is clear to us is that, absent the aeronautics R&D subsidies, Boeing would not have been able to launch an aircraft incorporating all of the technologies that are incorporated on the 787...” (para. 7.1775)

“[T]he R&D subsidies ... contributed in a genuine and substantial way to Boeing’s development of technologies for the 787.” (paras. 7.1754, 7.1773 and 7.1794).

2 - Boeing has received “at least $5.3 billion” of US taxpayer dollars which has been determined illegal.

“[W]e have estimated that the amount of these subsidies to Boeing’s LCA division was at least $5.3 billion.” (para. 7.1433).

3 - An additional over $2 billion in state and local subsidies that Boeing will receive in the future are illegal.

“[T]he Panel finds that the Washington [tax credits] are specific subsidies to Boeing.” “[W]e recommend that ... the United States ‘take appropriate measures to ... withdraw the subsidy’.” (Paras. 7.302, 8.9).

4 - The effect of the subsidies is significantly larger than the face value of the subsidies in light of their particularly pervasive nature.

“Precisely because the nature of this kind of subsidy is that it is intended to multiply the benefit from a given expenditure, the Panel considers it unlikely that the effects of such expenditure ... would be reducible to its face amount.” (para. 7.1760)

5 - The pervasive subsidies have thoroughly distorted competition within the aviation industry, directly resulting in significant harm to the European aerospace industry.

“[W]e would characterize the NASA R&D subsidies as strategically-focused R&D programmes with a significant and pervasive commercial dimension.” (para. 7.1764)

“[The subsidies] enabled Boeing to lower its prices beyond the level that would otherwise have been economically justifiable.... [T]his led to it securing sales that it would not otherwise have made, while in other cases, it led to Airbus being able to secure the sale only at a reduced price. (para. 7.1818)

6 - The effect of these subsidies will continue in the future, putting Airbus at a significant disadvantage.

“We note further that, to the extent that these subsidies have enabled Boeing to win sales from Airbus in the past, they have served to entrench Boeing as the incumbent supplier, thereby putting it at an important switching cost advantage over Airbus in future sales.” (para. 7.1818)

“Boeing has shot themselves in the foot with the WTO proceedings,” indicates Rainer Ohler. “The company has achieved a massive condemnation of its U.S. funding mechanisms – provided the U.S. is willing to implement the ruling - while the European mechanism has been approved as a legal instrument. The only result of this anachronistic battle is that it limits America’s and Europe’s ability to compete with emerging competitors that have access to unlimited government funding.”

Airbus is pleased with the findings of the WTO report, but understands that the European Commission may appeal a number of issues relating to legal interpretation. Airbus fully supports the European Commission in this respect.

Full version of the report: www.wto.org (search item DS353)
__________________
---------------------------------
---- What is Signature ?????? ----
---------------------------------
babribeiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2707
Vrooms
threeyearson.
 
Vrooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 9,676
Likes (Received): 1641

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothy...he/5578437345/
__________________
🔥🚀
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #2708
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,913
Likes (Received): 18181

Source : http://www.aviation-friends-hamburg-...d.php?tid=3566

[img]http://img.******************************/bild.php/768,dsc8778RQ3OR.jpg[/img]
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Last edited by hkskyline; April 9th, 2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Source corrected.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2709
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店
 
siamu maharaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,188
Likes (Received): 4965

It has always amused me how Europeans keep demonizing Emirates for subsidies which are actually legal (not that there's any proof, but if there actually are subsidies, they'd be legal), but both Germany and France (two of the biggest whiners) themselves ILLEGALLY subsidize Airbus all the time, but that's A-OK.
__________________
ho ho to pa ki ho
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2710
Rachmaninov
Registered User
 
Rachmaninov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Posts: 3,188
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
It has always amused me how Europeans keep demonizing Emirates for subsidies which are actually legal (not that there's any proof, but if there actually are subsidies, they'd be legal), but both Germany and France (two of the biggest whiners) themselves ILLEGALLY subsidize Airbus all the time, but that's A-OK.
Indeed the whole world is doing the same thing. The amusing ones are those who can whine about others illegally subsidising with a straight face
__________________
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #2711
ALLAN92
Registered User
 
ALLAN92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 615
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Awesome
__________________
when you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you will have been and there you will always long to return.
ALLAN92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2712
Space Invader
Registered Alien
 
Space Invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris / Southampton (New Forest)
Posts: 408
Likes (Received): 193

BBC Fast Track : On board the Airbus A380

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ck/9150320.stm
Space Invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2713
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,983
Likes (Received): 52040

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2714
Rachmaninov
Registered User
 
Rachmaninov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Posts: 3,188
Likes (Received): 24

Lufthansa is a bit unexciting...
__________________
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2715
Rohne
Schwarzkutte
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Franconofurd
Posts: 831
Likes (Received): 361

This thread is about A380 and not about your poor opinion about LH, EK, subsidies and stuff!
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2716
Rachmaninov
Registered User
 
Rachmaninov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Posts: 3,188
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
This thread is about A380 and not about your poor opinion about LH, EK, subsidies and stuff!
You talking to me?

LH does have quite a plain interior. As for EK/subsidies I didn't start it...?



__________________

Last edited by Rachmaninov; April 4th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2717
sidney_jec
Complex Equation
 
sidney_jec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
This thread is about A380 and not about your poor opinion about LH, EK, subsidies and stuff!
so people can't have opinions pinned down about A380 in here?
__________________
ye bik gayi hai gormint

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2718
sidney_jec
Complex Equation
 
sidney_jec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Lufthansa is a bit unexciting...
i actually like the subtle interiors as compared to the loud interiors of Emirates/Qantas.
__________________
ye bik gayi hai gormint

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #2719
Vrooms
threeyearson.
 
Vrooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 9,676
Likes (Received): 1641

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5582173276/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/griffs0000/2875029582/
__________________
🔥🚀
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2720
Space Invader
Registered Alien
 
Space Invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris / Southampton (New Forest)
Posts: 408
Likes (Received): 193

Yesterday, Lufthansa received it's 6th bird.

MSN066 saying goodbye to Hamburg :

Space Invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium