daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3941
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
I have a feeling BA are going to have the hottest looking A380's flying around!
agree!! Love the BA livery!!

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3942
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18158

Would look much better if the old BA crown can grace that huge tail.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #3943
Vrooms
threeyearson.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7623410210/
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3944
A380 Flyer

Likes (Received): 5

^ is that LAX, FRA or HKG? I presume LAX but want to be sure.

Anyway, it's my laptop wallpaper now.
A380 Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3945
A380 Flyer

Likes (Received): 5

Has anyone ever considered RTW trips on A380s?

You could almost do it with SQ now (SIN-NRT-LAX/JFK-FRA-SIN), but I often wonder is it possible to do it using every A380 carrier at least one, without backtracking or using the same airport twice.

Now it is not possible (MH mess it all up ). But when they start serving SYD or PEK, then we can have another go, and I think it will be possible for sure.
A380 Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3946
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3947
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer View Post
^ is that LAX, FRA or HKG? I presume LAX but want to be sure.

Anyway, it's my laptop wallpaper now.
That's definitely not HKG.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #3948
Vrooms
threeyearson.

its LAX
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3949
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/567/5676282.html

Old July 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3950
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

i think thai a380 looks the best do you guys agree???

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3951
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Without a doubt LAX!!! I bet my LH 1:200 scale A380 on it!
Old July 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3952
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

This is not Hong Kong and definitely not Franktfurt, you can keep your 1:200 scale LH 380
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3953
TheNewYork_er

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
I have a feeling BA are going to have the hottest looking A380's flying around!
It's strange that there's absolutely no info on BA's website about their A380. It's like they have never ordered. So far most of airlines keep pushing messages about seating, interiors routes and so on regarding their A380. Strange
TheNewYork_er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #3954
Bangroma-sky
from east to west

Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
i think thai a380 looks the best do you guys agree???
I agree especialy if you check the photo from Elktest
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3955
Bangroma-sky
from east to west

Quote:
Originally Posted by น้องฟ้า View Post
Wow , geat video, like like, like
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #3956
Bangroma-sky
from east to west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elktest View Post
Posted by Elktest
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #3957
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Qantas captain recalls A380 near disaster
AAP
July 24, 2012, 3:44 pm

It could have been one of the world's worst air disasters - a Qantas A380 had left Singapore on its way to Sydney when a mid-air explosion shattered one of the aircraft's engines.

Despite the chaos that could have ensued, captain Richard de Crespigny remained calm and landed the plane, bringing all 469 passengers and crew safely to the tarmac.

That was November 4, 2010. Now, upon the release of his book QF32, the 55-year-old pilot recalls the motions he went through on that potentially-fatal flight.

"The sound of the engine failure was really like a backfire in a car - like a boom - so that is something we just react to instinctively with procedures that we learn in the simulator..." de Crespigny told AAP.

"So that is not a surprise, it's not shocking. It doesn't cause a panic reaction at all."

A second boom, however, about half a second later, was unusual. It brought up questions of whether one or two engines had been affected, he said, and how severe the damage was.

"But it really doesn't matter about those thoughts," de Crespigny said: "What you have to do is fly the aeroplane; you have to aviate.

"There's no fight or flight syndrome.

"In the flight I didn't think about my wife or children when I was in the air. We weren't panicking."

After the near disaster, Qantas temporarily grounded its A380 fleet and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau began investigations.

QF32 was just four minutes out of Singapore's Changi Airport when the explosions occurred on what was the largest and most advanced passenger plane ever built.

A fire was sparked and the engine disabled, while three other engines were degraded. The hydraulics, electrics, brakes, fuel, flight controls and landing gear systems were all compromised.

During all of this, de Crespigny and his crew focused on keeping the plane at a controlled speed and above nearby mountains.

"Although these explosions had happened there was absolute silence in the flight deck while we sorted out that the aircraft was flying," said de Crespigny.

"Then we went into our procedures, which is just standard. Every pilot knows them and again we were busy but there was no panic."

De Crespigny and the other Qantas pilots with him went through about 125 checklists, an amount they don't train for in the simulator.

"We were all in a state of disbelief that this could actually be happening," de Crespigny writes in his book. "We were worried, but our training kicked in."

As the flight deck went through procedures, public addresses were made to calm the passengers.

De Crespigny, who had been flying for 35 years, said foremost in their minds was that the passengers had concerns and needed information.

"About every 10 minutes we made a public address; the whole time, over four hours," he said. "So the passengers were very informed and happy, well as happy as they could be."

Engine failures are very infrequent, explained de Crespigny, with one occurring every 300,000 engine hours.

Only one in every 3.5 pilots will ever experience an engine failure during their career, he added, while crashes are exceedingly rare.

He says that among the world's top 25 airlines, there is only one crash for every 13 million flights.

After disaster was averted and QF32 landed back in Singapore, it was another four months before de Crespigny would be at the helm of a Qantas plane.

"Qantas said `look Richard you've had a tough tough week, why don't you take a week off' and I said `thanks, I think I'll take four months'," he recalled.

"...I knew that I really wasn't fit to evaluate my suitability to go flying so I said to the fleet manager, `I have to ground myself, I'm not ready'... and you don't want to have a distracted pilot."

During that four months off, he saw a psychologist three times to talk about the incident and treat traumatic stress.

When asked if he ever suffered nightmares, he said never but that his mind was busy reenacting the flight, "recycling through".

"I thought `could I have done something better? Should I have done something differently'? And I think that's a normal reaction."

So was there anything he would have changed about his handling of the disaster?

"I managed to suck dry the brains of all the other pilots - every bit of knowledge came out of everyone and today I don't think I'd change anything. I'm very pleased with that."

De Crespigny said he felt great when he finally got back into the cockpit.

"At the end of three months I was looking up at aircraft that flew overhead, which is really a good sign for pilots.

"I then spent a month getting ready to go back flying, working in the simulator, and so at the fourth month I had been trained back up to the standard I was happy with and I was really keen to go back flying and I've had a great time ever since..."

* QF32 by Richard de Crespigny is published by Pan Macmillan, rrp $34.99.

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3958
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

A380 engines
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:58 AM   #3959
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

British Airways looks interesting, cant wait for it. Also I have flown with the Lufthansa A380, Frankfurt am Main D-AIMA, a few weeks back. I took an in flight video.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:56 PM   #3960
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/568/5683790.html

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways