daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #4181
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
What if it actually happened? That would mean BA and VS would compete on A380 services.
Let's take a look at the odds of an A380 wearing the VS livery...

15 December 2000 Virgin Atlantic announce an order for 6 A380s plus 6 options... The order was firmed on 26 April 2001... The entry into service date has continued to slip now due in 2017...

27 September 2007 British Airways announce a firm order for 12 A380s plus 7 options with entry into service 2013...

An airline which jumped on the A380 band wagon will be operating the type way before a launch carrier...

I'll love to see the A380 in the VS color scheme but I highly doubt it would materialize...

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #4182
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

That's very interesting. VS ordered the plane earlier, but BA will get the aircraft before VS. how could that happen?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4183
EK413

Virgin Atlantic has orders for the Airbus A380-800 aircraft for delivery beginning 2014 and 2015, respectively. The A380 was expected in service in 2006 but was delayed until 2009 because of problems within Airbus. Virgin then deferred its order to 2013, arguing it wanted the aircraft to prove itself before it began it operate them.

Well the A380 has proven itself so what's the excuse...?
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4184
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I understand now. So I wonder where will VS send its A380s... And will it replace any of its A340s in the process?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4185
EK413

Quote:
I understand now. So I wonder where will VS send its A380s... And will it replace any of its A340s in the process?
Considering VS have recently taken delivery of A333s & placed orders for B787s I would say the fleet more than likely would consist of twins opposed to quads... The A346 leases are fast approaching and VS are currently evaluating the A350-900 & -1000... There has been discussion of a B77W order to replace the A346s fleet but B77Ws can very easily replace B744s too
It's anyone's guess...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5593746/
Old October 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4186
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah interesting. So it looks like VS is already considering more twin-engine jets, with the A380 as being the airline's flagship aircraft. But to get the B77W would be a good move too for Richard Branson indeed to trim down fuel costs and carbon emissions.

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4187
EK413

Quote:
Ah interesting. So it looks like VS is already considering more twin-engine jets, with the A380 as being the airline's flagship aircraft. But to get the B77W would be a good move too for Richard Branson indeed to trim down fuel costs and carbon emissions.
If and I hope VS take delivery of their A380s then yes the A380 will be the flag carrier... The B77W order is speculation...
I'll lean towards the A350-900 & -1000...

Follow the link in my previous post for more information...
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4188
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

just read the link myself, and it seems like the aircraft sweepstakes for VS has already begun. But I hope they get the A380, as well as the B77W because V Australia already operates them.

Old October 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4189
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Story with VS and their A380 is pretty simple - VS don't have enough financial support to handle A380 at the moment.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4190
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

so it looks like BA will get the A380 ahead of VS, even though VS purchased them earlier...

Old October 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4191
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Quote:
so it looks like BA will get the A380 ahead of VS, even though VS purchased them earlier...
Yes, you are right.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4192
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 889

Has any airline ever installed full internet WiFi access for Laptops/ipads etc for the A380? I know some US carriers have WiFi on the planes but most are regional flights.

It will be very good for the business passengers especially on long haul flights which can take almost a whole day 12hrs. A lot can be done in that time.

I am also curious how the internet is connected up because there is no physical cables. Is it all through radio and satellite or is it beamed to a ground station?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

Last edited by CxIxMaN; October 28th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4193
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think putting in WiFi on the A380 would be an optional thing for now unless Airbus finds a third-party contractor to set up WiFi as a standard feature for the super jumbo. The set-up for WiFi on board is basically, the aircraft will have transmitters throughout the plane, and since it is a pay-as-you-use service, it will only be used when passengers actually use them. Although Internet service may be slow due to flight movement, the signals would be transmitted via satellites above and ground stations below to facilitate Internet connection throughout the journey. Several providers, including OnAir and AirGoGo, provide such services: OnAir provides a very good description of this service, with a FAQ here: http://www.onair.aero/faqs

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4194
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 889

image hosted on flickr

Airbus A380 'F-WWAJ' Malaysia Airlines by evansaviography, on Flickr

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4195
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
Has any airline ever installed full internet WiFi access for Laptops/ipads etc for the A380? I know some US carriers have WiFi on the planes but most are regional flights.
I know that Emirates provides internet on their A380's, but if by full internet wifi access you mean free access, then no, you've got to pay and i think it's ridiculously expensive.
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4196
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Yes, that's true. EK's WiFi service is provided by OnAir.

And speaking of A380s, not the best picture of mine, but took it as it took off from SFO... this LH left way later than usual last Sunday -- around 1.5 hours late!

Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4197
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

Emirates A6-EEC, A6-EEB, A6-EEA
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #4198
PassarodeFerro
Passaro de Ferro

Likes (Received): 11

MH WONDERFUL
Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4199
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

when will there be an Emirates A380 to be registered A6-EES?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:45 AM   #4200
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ
when will there be an Emirates A380 to be registered A6-EES?
Hmmm... that would be 16 more A380s to go before the registration reaches A6-EES because as of now, it is on A6-EEC. And that's a ton of A380s indeed.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways