daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4221
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62994

they do have do have 2 services to secondary cities left:

St. Denis de la Reunion – Lyon – Nantes (1 weekly service)
St. Denis de la Reunion – Marseille – Toulouse (1 weekly service)

They would have been cancelled as of the end of last month, but that has been postponed until January 2013. But it's still a service reduction since both routes had a 2 weekly service. The St. Denis de la Reunion – Marseille – Bordeaux route was cancelled.

If they were financially healthy in 2009 they have gone downhill extremely fast, because they have serious financial troubles this year. That shows that the A380 is not the aircraft for such small airlines with limited routes that can have a complete financial negative turnaround within a couple of years. Air France isn't doing to good either, but unlike Air Austral they can still pay their new aircraft. So even if they won't officially cancel their A380 order they still can't pay for it, especially since an A380 is much more expensive then an 777-200LR. For all I can see it's obvious for me that they made some poor decisions over the last couple of years, ordering the A380 was one of those.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4222
knock_sideways
WHOA knocked me on my ass

Likes (Received): 1

Emirates A380 in a Sydney mid-air engine explosion

DISTRESSED passengers told how they survived a mid-air emergency last night when an Emirates A380's engine exploded at 10,000 feet and forced it to turn back for an emergency landing.
About 20 minutes after leaving Sydney, Emirates flight EK413 experienced an "engine fault'' en route to Dubai.

"I saw a flash,'' John Fothergill, 49, from Auckland, said. "I thought it could have been lightening but then we saw flames come out of the engine. The whole interior of the A380 lit up.

"You'd have to say there were two or three metre flames. (The) explosion shook the plane, there was a bigger judder.''

The grounded plane. Picture: Steve Harris Source: The Daily Telegraph

Emirates flight attendants responded by moving straight to the windows that faced out to the engine.

They observed the damaged and asked the passengers what they had seen.

Mr Fothergill's wife, Dr Amal Aburawi, questioned how the Emirates staff reacted and said, "The staff panicked more than the passengers.''

She said: "Everyone was running left and right (with) no one knowing what's happened.''

"I was in the same incident in 1988 when I was travelling on Alitalia, (so) it was (a) flash back to what happened (there). It was exactly the same (but) the way it was being handled on Alitalia was so organised and calmer than what's happened tonight.''
Emirates

Dr Aburawi furthermore criticised Emirate's flight attendants for not properly informing some non-English speaking passengers of the incident.

"I'm a frequent flyer on Emirates,'' she said. "Usually its Arabic announcement following the English, (but) this time no one mentioned anything in Arabic and there (were) many Arabic passengers, many of them old ladies.

"I held (an Emirates flight attendant) by the hand and said, 'Can you ask someone to do the announcement in Arabic because there are Arabic people who will not understand what's happening with this panic situation'.

"(She said she would) send Arabic speaking staff to tell them and calm them down. (But) I checked with them when we landed and no one spoke to them. They don't know why we landed back in Sydney.

"This is where I feel angry, I feel angry for the way non-English speaking passengers faced this situation.

"Emirates should be well trained in this.

"I hope Emirates will get some lessons out of this.''

Emirates said an "engine fault'' was to blame for the incident.
Emirates

The pilot contacted ground crew at Sydney Airport and a decision was made to dump fuel and turn the plane around.

Emirates said, "Passengers are being re-booked on alternative flights (and) Emirates apologises for any inconvenience caused to its customers.''

Source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/...-1226514824688
Old November 12th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #4223
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Looks not so bad on this one picture.

RR΄s engine explosions on the A380 look far more spectacular than EA΄s.

RR = Rolls Royce
EA = Engine Alliance

What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; November 12th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4224
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

ouch, that is a very unfortunate incident. I hope Airbus notes of this incident so that it can reinspect its engines and check them to make sure they are in working order. I think the engine was in extreme stress after a lot of long-haul rotations that could cause it to explode, but I'm not ruling out other causes.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #4225
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Don't think it's an Airbus problem. The engine manufacturer needs to figure out what happened.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4226
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hmmm... But with that engine trouble, will it affect A380 prices? And if so, by how much?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4227
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airlines are free to choose which types of engines to use. The fact that a GE or Rolls Royce engine failed doesn't mean Airbus needs to give discounts to sell their plane. Rather, it should be the engine manufacturers that need to worry.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4228
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah ok. It's just that Airbus should also be notified as well in case any side effects of the engine trouble occurred in the process. And by the way, what engine types are available for the A380, aside from GE and RR?

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #4229
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ Airbus would not have any input as to what engines an airline wants on its planes. This is not restricted to the A380, but any plane regardless of the manufacturer. There's nothing Airbus can do with its airplane design when an engine has a design flaw or malfunctions. I believe airlines can only choose between Engine Alliance and Rolls Royce for the A380 engine.

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #4230
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh ok. Is it true though that choosing one engine over another can change an aircraft's maximum distance range, especially for the A380?

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4231
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ That is true for any aircraft where engines can be chosen for fitting. Each brand of engine will have its own performance capabilities, although I'm not sure how big or small an effect on range that will be.

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4232
tompaw

That's simply amazing. I was just about to fight my fear of flying and jump on board the transatlantic A380 to JFK
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4233
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh ok. Is it true though that choosing one engine over another can change an aircraft's maximum distance range, especially for the A380?
Most types of aircraft have at least 2 different brands of engine to choose from although for some planes only 1 engine is available (A350XWB for instance). Airlines are free to choose the type they want. This is normally based on money and the airlines relationship the the engine makers.

Engines are designed specifically for each type of aircraft so the performance of each brand is generally pretty much identical. Plane manufactures specify the acceptable performance and the engine suppliers work to meet those goals.

Engines are purchased (or leased) directly from the engine manufacturers by the airlines.

Engines blowing up is not the responsibility of Airbus or Boeing.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4234
Clery

Likes (Received): 3615

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post
That's simply amazing. I was just about to fight my fear of flying and jump on board the transatlantic A380 to JFK
Go ahead. Your bathroom is far more dangerous than any airplane is (a lot more fatalities yearly, it's even more dangerous than road traffic). And you're not scared to slip while showering.
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4235
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
Go ahead. Your bathroom is far more dangerous than any airplane is (a lot more fatalities yearly, it's even more dangerous than road traffic). And you're not scared to slip while showering.

@tompaw: Indeed, it΄s perfectly safe to go on a flight in the A380. Just don΄t use the freaking shower.
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; November 12th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #4236
tompaw

Thanks guys. My wife wouldn't forgive me if I chickened out this one, so I'll probably be onboard soon And the shower looks VERY SIMILAR to the ones in trans-europe AutoZug cars!
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4237
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

@tompaw: Indeed, it΄s perfectly safe to go on a flight in the A380. Just don΄t use the freaking shower.
what:the EPA ?!?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4238
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded

Seriously? A shower on board an aircraft? Is that available on the A380 for F and C class passengers?

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #4239
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Seriously? A shower on board an aircraft? Is that available on the A380 for F and C class passengers?
First class only on board all the a380s.
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #4240
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah ok. That's like out of say 400 to 500 passengers, only around 8 to 12 have the privilege of taking a bath at 35,000 feet... Dang. I'd love to ride F class just for that.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways