daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM   #441
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

^Lol!

If they consider morning something like 8am, it would be 2pm for you huaiwei...
Check it from that hour on.

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:11 AM   #442
drwho
slacker oui!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto
^Lol!

If they consider morning something like 8am, it would be 2pm for you huaiwei...
Check it from that hour on.
nah Huaiwei is like us nighthawks..sitting up all night
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM   #443
MCarr
Future after Past

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho
nah Huaiwei is like us nighthawks..sitting up all night
cambada de encostados...

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM   #444
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

Anybody know the route of the Maiden Flight? Is it just a flight above Toulouse or will it fly to Hamburg?
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #445
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Ah...thks thks. I will have to adjust my bioclock now! Oh and yes...I forgot to reveal. My "final yr paper"...of you call it a mini thesis if you like, was on the A380!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:03 PM   #446
cladiv
----

Likes (Received): 0

If you want to see a short video about the A380 moving click on this:

http://videojts.france3.fr/

Click on 19/20 Midi-Pyrénées and then in the opened window the "Mercredi 20 Avril" broadcast.

After the main news titles they show a small video about A380 rolling and accelerating!
These are the last setup test before the maiden flight of the next wek!
cladiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:52 PM   #447
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21
Anybody know the route of the Maiden Flight? Is it just a flight above Toulouse or will it fly to Hamburg?
Just around Toulouse i think. Definitely not to Hamburg.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:41 PM   #448
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Weather.com's predicting rain Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, with mostly sunny skies on Tuesday and Friday.

So a Tuesday or Friday flight perhaps?
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #449
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Business Times - 25 Apr 2005

Airbus' new A380 to make maiden flight on Wednesday

PARIS - Airbus said its new A380 super-jumbo, the world's largest commercial airliner, will make its maiden flight on Wednesday if weather permits.

The double-decker A380 will undergo its first airborne test at Airbus headquarters in southern France, near the city of Toulouse, the European aircraft maker said.

The four-aisle, four-engine aircraft has an 80-metre wingspan and a tail as tall as seven-story building. It will carry 555 passengers - 33 per cent more than rival Boeing's 747, the industry's current largest commercial plane.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #450
SKYLINEPIGEON
slightly used

Likes (Received): 0

World's largest jetliner readied for first flight

By Don Phillips International Herald Tribune

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2005

TOULOUSE, France Test pilots put the world's largest airliner through final ground tests Tuesday, preparing it to lift away from a runway for the first time and soar over the French countryside, possibly on Wednesday.

The A380, designed to carry 555 passengers in three classes but which can fit as many as 800 seats, has been undergoing weeks of ground checks, ranging from engine thrust tests to emergency braking tests.

Its test crew must be satisfied with every aspect of the plane's flight and control systems before it will attempt a takeoff.

The weather seemed to be cooperating with the test crew. Conditions were forecast to be clear with very light winds Wednesday morning. Winds are considered critical because the decision was made some time ago to take off only to the northwest over open countryside rather than to the southeast over the suburbs of Toulouse.

The first flight, as is traditional, will carry only the two-man chief test crew and the test chief.

If all goes well with the takeoff, the crew will fly at relatively low speeds for two to three hours before returning to land. The landing gear will not be raised during the flight, removing the possibility that a minor glitch could imperil the program.

Thousands of people, some of whom began camping out near the airport on Monday, are expected to witness the liftoff.

The A380's low noise level and low-pollution engines represent a bow to a strong anti-pollution movement in Europe.

The launching of the aircraft was delayed and its development cost increased by about €1 billion or $1.3 billion to redesign engines, at the insistence of customers, to make them less noisy.

And with wind passing over the airframe likely to be louder than engine noise on landing, the shape of the fuselage has been altered to hold down noise.

Airbus has also drummed home its boast that, on a seat-mile basis, the A380 will burn less fuel than a compact car that a passenger drives to the airport - about three liters or six pints of fuel per passenger per hundred miles.

Following many more months of test and development, the A380 is scheduled to make its first passenger flight late next year from Singapore to London with Singapore Airlines.

So far, Airbus has 154 firm orders for the A380, 27 of them for the freighter version.

Even though the two planes are of different sizes and have different missions, a publicity battle has developed between the A380 and Boeing's smaller 787, now under development.
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #451
Hoferat

Likes (Received): 1

I cant wait!

For all the people living in the german speaking world, it is being broadcast live on ZDF starting at 09:45 for takeoff and 14:15 for the landing.
Hoferat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #452
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

What time its happening in the English world aka the Uk.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #453
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1558

Tomorrow will be the day!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #454
Jlagu
Usuario de Honor

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dave
Tomorrow will be the day!
the flight will be approximately at 0800gmt, CNN international will broadcast it live! that's less than 2 hours from now!
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #455
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I am parked in front of my PC...2 hours more?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #456
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

27 April 2005

Airbus's giant A380 plane set for maiden flight

TOULOUSE, France : The Airbus A380, the world's largest commercial airliner, is poised for liftoff from southern France in a maiden flight that may launch a new era in civil aviation.

The gamble is equally momentous for Airbus Industrie, the European aircraft maker that has punched its way to the top of the civil aircraft industry, defeating long-time US champion Boeing.

Plane spotters take position on the outskirts of the Toulouse Blagnac tarmac

Airbus and its shareholders, parent company the European Aeronautics Defence and Space Company, with an 80 percent holding, and BAE Systems of Britain, with 20 percent, have already invested heavily in the program: more than 10 billion euros (13 billion dollars), and another 1.45 billion may be needed.

The A380 challenges the Boeing 747's long dominance of the jumbo jet market.

So far, the big plane has been a big draw: 15 airlines have already signed contracts for 154 planes, of which 144 are firm. The tally comes close to Airbus's forecasts of selling 150 planes by mid-2005.

The order book is massive -- the catalogue price of an A380 is between 260 and 290 million dollars. Singapore Airlines was the first to order, while the US and Japanese airlines have proven more difficult to lure.

Airbus announced the much-anticipated maiden flight date from Toulouse Monday, after several delays.

Weather and last-minute problems permitting, Airbus said, the A380's 22 wheels would lift off the ground Wednesday in mid-morning. No specific time was scheduled.

Parked at the Toulouse-Blagnac airport Tuesday, the gleaming white and blue A380 dwarfed its companions, mainly because of its towering height which houses a double-deck cabin.

The four-engine superjumbo can carry up to 840 passengers and fly 8,000 miles (15,000 kilometres) non-stop.

A team of 30 engineers made final adjustments on the new plane to prepare for its air debut.

The planned flight, mainly over the Atlantic, can happen only if visibility is perfect and the wind is not too strong, Airbus said.

The wind cannot be from the northwest, the company said, because the takeoff, the most critical phase of the test, is forbidden in a southwesterly direction, toward the city of Toulouse and its 700,000 inhabitants.

The plane is to touch down at the airport between one and five hours later, "depending on the weather conditions and how the plane feels to the pilots," Airbus program director Charles Champion said.

The Number One prototype plane does not resemble a passenger plane inside. It is strictly a test aircraft, equipped with about 20 tonnes of equipment, including work stations to monitor inflight data and other parameters.

A live satellite feed of onboard data would be watched by a team of experts on the ground, Champion said.

Flight commands and structural stresses on the 600-tonne behemoth would be closely studied.

The inaugural flight will have a six-man crew. The two test pilots, Claude Lelaie and Jacques Rosay, are Airbus veterans with a combined 13,500 hours of test flying.

They and their three navigators -- Fernando Alonso, Manfred Birnfeld and Jacky Joye -- and mechanic Gerard Desbois will be assisted by a ground crew.

This prototype, which debuted officially at an Airbus hangar in January, is to be used for decades as the test model for changes to the A380 model over the duration of the program.

Some 50,000 officials, spectators and media were expected to gather to watch history being made, officials said.

Airbus planned to halt most other activities to allow its 15,000 employees here to watch the historic moment.

Security was tightened on the ground and in the air. Two huge parking areas around the airport, enough to accommodate 15,000 cars, will be opened and traffic will be blocked on nearby roads to allow spectators to approach on foot.

Overhead, normal commercial traffic at the airport was to be suspended only during the 15 minutes before the A380 takeoff. The airspace will be patrolled to intercept any suspicious planes, officials said.- AFP /ct

Copyright © 2005 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #457
huaiwei
The Monkey King

My God! The video is up! Crew has boarded!

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #458
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

cool, I want to see it, but the site is too overcrowded that I can't go in. It seems that I will need to see it tommorow morning considering the fact that I am in Canada's Western Time zone.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #459
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Shitman....I jus restarted my PC, and now I cant get back in...haha!

Edit: Phew! just got in again. The plane has been towed out of its hanger, and is now parked just outside it. Ppl are gathering...

Last edited by huaiwei; April 27th, 2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #460
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Cool..I can see both now. The BBC one seems to be a few secs faster.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways