daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #461
Jlagu
Usuario de Honor

Likes (Received): 26

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #462
Hitesh

Likes (Received): 1

i just saw it take off on cnn.
its bloody huuuuuuge
Hitesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #463
Sumeet

Location: Hong Kong (HK) : Bangkok (TH) : Melbourne (Aus) : Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 0

i managed to catch the last 20 seconds of the live take off, damm it looks good. Will they be showing the landing aswell?
Sumeet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #464
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Sure hope so. I read somewhere its flying to the US and back?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #465
RTM84

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Airbus said that the aircraft will remain in a 160 mile radius of Toulouse.
And the states are not within that radius i believe.

BTW the aircraft looks really Bautifull when in the air, is was a awsome sight (on TV)

Last edited by RTM84; April 27th, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
RTM84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #466
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 990

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/825947/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/825948/L/
Check her out, 1st pics airborne already on www.airliners.net

The aircraft will not be flying to the US yet. It was over th Pyranese not all that long ago getting photos taken. It will stay within French aerospace.
Wezza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #467
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Oh...I read that in a media article. Apparantly I was fooled.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #468
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Yesterday's "official flight path" put out by Airbus was to takeoff from Toulouse, head over Bordeaux, then out to the Atlantic (technically the Bay of Biscay) for between 1 and a half and four hours and return to Toulouse, France.

I didn't check the above A.net links, but here is a Sam Chui photo at the moment of takeoff:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...=825471&size=L

Holy Sh!t that's a long link!
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #469
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Huaiwei, I think that article was jumping ahead in the testing protocol!
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #470
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1555

The landing was amazing!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #471
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
Huaiwei, I think that article was jumping ahead in the testing protocol!
Haha yeah. Too lazy to find it again, but I saw it when desperately trying to find out the flight time in the morning over here...which was in the early morning over in Euope. I waiting half a day for this!

Old April 27th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #472
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

That was a great take off

who can post a link to a downloadable video of take off and landing please ?

i'm actually in the process on downloading one on emule, but i guess it won't be ready before tomorrow or later today...
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #473
Nick in Atlanta

Any stats on how long it actually flew for?

I did read that to keep things simple on the first test flight they weren't going to retract the landing gear. I heard they were having problems with the landing gear, because no matter what Airbus say's about a greater dispersion of weight on the many additional tires, it's still a lot of weight to come down on the landing gear.
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #474
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

It was flying for about 5 hours and at 10,000 feet they did play about with the landing gear.
I watched it land on CNN, thought I had missed it. I knew it would fly since a bigger plane has taken to the skys. They are going to do silly things with it like flying it through storms to see how it handles.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #475
Nick in Atlanta

Airbus A380 Completes Historic 1st Flight
Wednesday April 27, 11:09 am ET
By Laurence Frost, AP Business Writer
Airbus A380, the World's Largest Passenger Plane, Makes Aviation History With Maiden Flight

BLAGNAC, France (AP) -- The world's largest passenger plane, the Airbus A380, completed a maiden flight Wednesday that took it over the Pyrenees mountains, a milestone for aviation and for the European aircraft-maker's battle with American rival Boeing Co.

The double-decked, 308-ton plane landed successfully to applause at 2:22 p.m (8:22 a.m. EDT) after a flight of nearly four hours. About 30,000 spectators watched the white plane with blue tail take off and touch down, 101 years after the Wright brothers achieved the first controlled, sustained flight.

Before it landed, its front lights shining, the A380 did a slow flyover above the airport in Blagnac, southwest France, where it had taken off at 10:29 a.m. (4:29 a.m. EDT).

The plane carried a crew of six and 22 tons of on-board test instruments. It can carry as many as 840 passengers on commercial flights.

"The takeoff was absolutely perfect," chief test pilot Jacques Rosay told reporters by radio from the A380 cockpit as he flew at 10,000 feet just north of the Pyrenees mountains, about an hour into the flight. He added that flying the plane was as easy as "riding a bicycle."

The pilots checked the plane's basic handling characteristics while the on-board equipment recorded measurements for 150,000 separate parameters and beamed real-time data back to computers on the ground.

Rosay, co-pilot Claude Lelaie and four fellow crew members took no chances -- donning parachutes for the first flight. A handrail inside the test plane lead from the cockpit to an escape door that could have been jettisoned had the pilots lost control.

In Paris, French Cabinet ministers broke into applause when President Jacques Chirac told them of the successful start to the flight. The head of competitor Boeing's French division, Yves Galland, said he watched the televised takeoff and, just this once, "shared the emotion of the people of Airbus."

"It's magnificent," said Jean Begue, who worked as an industrial director on the early stages of the A380 program and joined hundreds of past and present Airbus employees on the tarmac for the big day.

"Despite its size and the fact that it's being flown for the first time, the turning it has just performed proves it's more maneuverable than the Corvette following it," Begue said. "Hats off!"

The flight capped 11 years of preparation and $13 billion in spending.

Orville and Wilbur Wright, by comparison, spent an estimated $1,000 developing their skeletal flyer, which stayed airborne for 12 seconds on the sands of Kill Devil Hills, N.C., the morning of Dec. 17, 1903.

Built of spruce and ash covered with muslin, the Wright brothers' flyer weighed 605 pounds, according to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington.

The A380 weighed 464 tons on takeoff, including its bulky test equipment, fittings and fuel, Airbus said. That is about 75 percent of its maximum authorized takeoff weight for commercial flights.

Spectators camped out by the airport to be there for what some said was Europe's biggest aviation event since the first flight of the supersonic Concorde in 1969. About 30,000 people gathered around the airport to watch, police said.

Emergency services took no chances and stationed fire trucks at regular intervals along the runway, although aviation experts say modern computer modeling and wind-tunnel tests have made maiden flights safer than ever.

Problems are more likely, but still very rare, later in the test-flight program, when the pilots deliberately take the plane to its limits. An Airbus A330 prototype crashed here in July 1994, killing chief test pilot Nick Warner and six others as they conducted a simulated engine failure exercise.

Airbus says the A380 test-flight program is likely to take over a year and finish soon before the plane enters service for Singapore Airlines in mid-2006.

The A380, with a catalogue price of $282 million, represents a huge bet by Airbus that airlines will need plenty of large aircraft to transport passengers between ever-busier hub airports.

It was flying for four hours!
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #476
Pengui
Tallest on his iceberg

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
He added that flying the plane was as easy as "riding a bicycle."
Tricycle should be more accurate, reffering to a plane

I hope I have chance to fly on one of those next year on SIA :-)
Pengui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #477
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways hails first A380 flight

ABU DHABI, April 27 (AFP) - Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways, which has signed on to buy four of the new Airbus A380s, hailed the maiden flight Wednesday of the biggest airliner ever built.

"On the occasion of the Airbus A380 maiden flight, Etihad Airways, the official airline of the United Arab Emirates, congratulates Airbus for making aviation history," a statement said.

Etihad's Captain Werner Borchert was quoted as saying Wednesdays landmark event is quite significant for everyone at Etihad.

"As an airline committed to providing our guests the utmost in premium service, Etihad Airways welcomes the arrival of the Airbus A380. Everyone at Etihad commends Airbus on this maiden flight and for their innovation and achievement in developing a revolutionary aircraft that will carry more passengers, in greater comfort, and over greater distance."

"As the fastest growing new airline in the world, taking delivery of the A380 in 2007 will be a major milestone for Etihad, as it reaffirms our ambition to be one a world class, elite airline."

The mammoth long-haul airliner, which can carry between 550 and 840 passengers, is due to enter commercial service in mid-2006, debuting with Singapore Airlines.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #478
hkskyline
Hong Kong

French Govt Hails Airbus A380 After Plane's Maiden Flight
27 April 2005

PARIS (AP)--France's government, struggling to muster support for the European constitution before a hotly contested referendum, hailed the maiden flight Wednesday of the giant Airbus (ABI.YY) A380 as a shining example of European prowess.

Officials across the European Union celebrated the successful test of the world's largest commercial plane as a joint European accomplishment - a message French officials eagerly played up. Airbus is a European plane-making consortium headquartered in Toulouse, southwest France.

"Today," President Jacques Chirac said, "a new page of aeronautic history has been written."

"It is a magnificent achievement for European industrial cooperation and encouragement toward continuing in the path of building a Europe of innovation and progress," Chirac said in a statement.

He planned a special visit Thursday to Airbus headquarters to extend his congratulations in person.

Chirac's center-right government is battling to counter opposition to the E.U. constitution that will be put to voters in France's May 29 referendum. More than a dozen recent polls have shown a slight lead for the "no" camp.

The flight offered a timely opportunity to link French pride with the E.U.

Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin called Airbus "a formidable example for Europeans" that shows what "a united and ambitious Europe" can accomplish when it works together.

French ministers broke into applause when Chirac announced during their Cabinet meeting that Airbus' superjumbo jet was flying.

"The president told us that the plane had taken off at 10:29 a.m. (0829GMT) and there was, something which is quite rare, applause," said Agriculture Minister Dominique Bussereau.

The flight was a moment of "pride for the whole ministerial team, for all the French and, above them, for all Europeans," he said.

"This is a European production," said Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie. "It's certain that we would have had a lot more trouble obtaining such a result if we had not done it through Europe."

Spectators at the airport in Blagnac, a suburb of Toulouse, cheered the take-off and landing nearly four hours later.

The German government congratulated Airbus, hailing the flight as the result "of excellent cooperation in the European aviation industry and evidence of Europe's high technological capability."

"It is sensational to experience this...colossus lifting off the runway," said Ditmar Staffelt, the German government's aviation policy coordinator.

The E.U. industry commissioner, Guenter Verheugen, said the maiden flight was a European "success story."

"This 'Super-Airbus' proves that cooperation with the E.U. pays off," he said.

In Seattle, Boeing Co. (BA) spokesman Jim Condelles called the flight "an engineering accomplishment that Airbus should be very proud of." But he also reiterated the U.S. rival's argument that the A380 is "a very large airplane for a very small market."

"We just don't see a market for 1,250 of these airplanes over the next 20 years, as Airbus projects. Boeing projects the market for what we call the very large airplane market at about 270 airplanes," he said. "So there's a big difference there in the way we both look at this."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #479
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airbus A380, the biggest airliner in aviation history

TOULOUSE, France, April 27 (AFP) - The Airbus A380, the world's biggest airliner, made its maiden flight on Wednesday, opening a new chapter in aviation history.

The A380 double-decker touched down at 2:23 pm (1223 GMT) at the Toulouse-Blagnac airport near the southwestern city of Toulouse, home of the European aircraft maker Airbus Industrie, after a successful flight of three hours and 54 minutes.

Airbus is a fully consolidated subsidiary of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company. EADS owns 80 percent of the aircraft manufacturer and BAE Systems of Britain holds 20 percent.

Here are key Airbus facts about this "magnificent machine," as the prototype plane was described by one of the co-pilots on the milestone flight.

-- The prototype, carrying the registration F.WWOW, soared into the skies at a weight of 421 tonnes, the heaviest ever of any civil airliner at takeoff to date. The A380's maximum takeoff weight is 560 tonnes, the landing limit is 386 tonnes.

-- The prototype was powered by four Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines. Customers will have a choice between the British group's Trent 900 or the GP7200 of the Engine Alliance, a US-British joint venture between General Electric, and Pratt and Whitney.

-- The first version of the aircraft will have a baseline capacity of 555 passengers in a standard three-class configuration of first, business and economy classes, and about 840 in a charter configuration. In contrast, the Boeing 747-400, the only superjumbo jetliner in the skies since 1970, can carry 416 people with a three-class configuration.

-- Equipped with a double deck in the passenger version, the cabin will be capable of accommodating restaurants, shops, gyms and other inflight services.

-- The flight range is 8,000 miles (15,000 kilometers) non-stop, 10 percent greater than other large aircraft. The cargo version will be capable of transporting in a three-floor configuration up to 150 tonnes of freight and flying 10,400 kilometers without refueling.

-- The wingspan measures of 79.8 meters (264 feet) wide, almost the length of a US football field, compared with 70.6 meters for the B747.

-- Overall height is 24.1 meters.

-- Overall length is 72.7 meters.

-- Fuselage diameter is 7.14 meters, horizontally measured.

-- The A380 was launched in December 2004. The first airline delivery will be in mid-2006. The cargo version is to begin service in 2008.

-- Listed at a catalog price of between 263 and 286 million dollars (203-221 million euros), the A380 to date has attracted 154 contracts from 15 airlines, of which 144 are firm orders.

Old April 28th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #480
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A380, B787 incarnate two visions of long-haul air transport

PARIS, April 27 (AFP) - Airbus's giant new A380 double-decker, which completed its first test flight Wednesday, now faces a stiff challenge from a smaller plane that has yet to get off the ground, Boeing's B787 Dreamliner.

While the A380 -- the world's largest airliner -- was aloft over southwestern France, Airbus officials meeting journalists pointed to what they said was its superiority to Boeing's 747 family of jumbo carriers, which it is designed to supplant.

"A larger cabin, an aircraft that is quieter and more economical and a better performer," insisted one Airbus representative.

But Boeing this week nonetheless announced major orders by Air Canada and Air India for its B787, which represents its vision of the ntext major trend in air travel.

The South Korean flag carrier Korean Air has also said it will buy 10 B787s to upgrade its fleet.

Although the US group is still two years away from getting the B787 off a runway, it has already taken 217 orders from 18 customers in the past year.

Spending less on fuel has become an extremely important factor for airlines, said Hans Weber, the US-based president of Tecop International, a management and consulting agency.

"With the 787, the cost level is lower than any airplane. As soon as you fly a 787 you spend less money," he said, adding that the 787 also requires less maintenance, which means "more time flying with passengers that pay for it."

Yves Galland, head of Boeing France, said that the US manufacturer had "awakened" after a period of sluggish activity.

The two planes reflect differing philosophies on where the long-range market is headed, said Barbara Beyer, president of aviation consulting firm Avmark.

The A380 can carry between 550 and 840 passengers and fly 8,000 miles (15,000 kilometers) non-stop, while the basic Dreamliner model is to carry about 217 passengers over a slightly longer distance.

Airbus's A380 is aimed at point-to-point service between large hubs, while the Dreamliner is designed to cut operating costs while serving lower-volume long-haul routes.

But Boeing's bet on smaller planes may not have taken capacity problems into account, Beyer noted.

"The trend has been to move from larger planes to smaller ones, but if the skies and the airports are too crowded that philosophy isn't going to work well," she warned.

Dan Cohen-Nir, a Washington-based technical official for Airbus North America, said one of the key strengths of the A380 was that it would require a minimum of new construction at airports that already take the Boeing 747.

In the United States, aviation authorities are getting the Los Angeles, San Francisco and Miami airports, as well as New York's John F. Kennedy, ready for A380 passenger flights in 2006, according to Dave Bennett of the Federal Aviation Administration's Office of Airport Safety and Standards.

"I don't see major safety or technical problems," Bennett said early this month.

Chicago's O'Hare airport and Dulles outside Washington will be ready later.

Memphis, Tennessee, and Anchorage, Alaska, should be ready for the cargo version of the A380 in 2008. Federal Express has ordered 10 of the planes.

Meanwhile, Boeing underscored that orders to date for the B787 have been remarkably strong.

Mike Bair, vice president and general manager of the B787 program, said in a conference call Tuesday that his group had sold out its 2008 and 2009 deliveries and was close to doing so for 2010.

The Chicago-based company has already announced firm orders and commitments from 18 customers for a total of 217 airplanes, 69 of which are booked under firm contracts.

Despite these strong sales in the long-haul market, Boeing still lags Airbus overall. In a recent industry report card, Standard and Poor's forecast that Airbus will deliver 350 to 360 airplanes compared to 320 at Boeing in 2005.

"In 2003, Airbus delivered more airplanes than Boeing for the first time and aims to maintain this leadership in the next few years, aided by its larger backlog and initial deliveries of the A380 double-decker, super-jumbo airplane in 2006," Standard and Poor's wrote.

"Still, both competitors are likely to roughly share a duopoly market over the long term."

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways