daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #481
Chibcha2k
XPC Fagua chinanuca

Likes (Received): 464

its alive...its alive!!!!
Taya juwaralain wane lapü jumaiwajatü
Vito Apüshana
Chibcha2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #482
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

I think most people like to take sides on who is right about the A380, Boeing or Airbus. I think they're BOTH right... the 787 will be the new "workhorse" of fleets, while the old-sized workhorses like the 737 will be demoted to regional status. Let's face it... the # of travelers isn't ever going to decrease. The A380 will become the backbone of trans-continental travel, much like the 747 is currently and has been in the past.

I think it's important to note that Boeing's attacks on the A380, such as "Is there a market for a plane this big?" and "Will enough airports accomodate it?" and so on, THESE ARE THE EXACT SAME QUESTIONS POSED TO BOEING WHEN THEY FIRST BUILT THE 747! And look how marvelously they proved the doubters wrong. Their competitors at the time, Lockheed and MD, built trijets saying there wasn't a market for the 747. Look who won!

Airbus is doing quite well with 150+ orders, and keeping the budget relatively under control... Remember the 747 nearly bankrupted Boeing, they essentially based their company on its success. And today, I think Airbus has silenced the doubters.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #483
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
That was a great take off

who can post a link to a downloadable video of take off and landing please ?

i'm actually in the process on downloading one on emule, but i guess it won't be ready before tomorrow or later today...
Here is a good link for the takeoff:
http://www.melbournephotos.net/misc/a380C.avi
Thanks to dan from the Aussie forums.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #484
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

The Yanks over on SSP are saying things like, but is there really a need for such a large plane, what about disabled access, A380's ugly, Boeing got another multi billion contract. Anything to make themselves feel better. Envy is a terrible thing.
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #485
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengui
Tricycle should be more accurate, reffering to a plane

I hope I have chance to fly on one of those next year on SIA :-)
As I'm sure you know, the first plane goes to Singapore Airlines, and the first flight is going to be the "kangaroo hop," from London (Heathrow, I'm sure) to Singapore and then to Sydney.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #486
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
Here is a good link for the takeoff:
http://www.melbournephotos.net/misc/a380C.avi
Thanks to dan from the Aussie forums.
thanx ! nice video indeed !

for those who wanna dowload other great videos (and one of landing) go there :

http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2077970/
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #487
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengui
Tricycle should be more accurate, reffering to a plane

I hope I have chance to fly on one of those next year on SIA :-)
Will be quite some time to wait. I wonder if I can be part of the inaugural flights when it happens one year from now too!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #488
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
I think most people like to take sides on who is right about the A380, Boeing or Airbus. I think they're BOTH right... the 787 will be the new "workhorse" of fleets, while the old-sized workhorses like the 737 will be demoted to regional status. Let's face it... the # of travelers isn't ever going to decrease. The A380 will become the backbone of trans-continental travel, much like the 747 is currently and has been in the past.

I think it's important to note that Boeing's attacks on the A380, such as "Is there a market for a plane this big?" and "Will enough airports accomodate it?" and so on, THESE ARE THE EXACT SAME QUESTIONS POSED TO BOEING WHEN THEY FIRST BUILT THE 747! And look how marvelously they proved the doubters wrong. Their competitors at the time, Lockheed and MD, built trijets saying there wasn't a market for the 747. Look who won!

Airbus is doing quite well with 150+ orders, and keeping the budget relatively under control... Remember the 747 nearly bankrupted Boeing, they essentially based their company on its success. And today, I think Airbus has silenced the doubters.
Perfectly agree with that! In fact, it was the basis for some of my arguments in my "mini-thesis" completed only 2 weeks ago!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #489
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Lockheed and MD built trijets because the airlines ask both to do it. It had nothing to do with the 747. Unfortunately, the trijet market wasn't big enough for 2 manufacturers, so the airlines basically killed the trijet. The 747, safe in its monopoly, lived on.

And the reason why the 747 almost bankrupted Boeing is because Boeing never had government backing for the 747. Add in a downturn in the aerospace industry at the time, and Boeing's financials were bound to look bleak, even without the R&D expenditure of the 747. The 747 was just the straw that almost broke the camel's back,

As for A380, it has yet to silence its doubters. Well, it has silenced the idiots who said it'll never fly, but those people just don't trust engineers. You'll continue to hear people say A380 was a mistake until the A380 gets the 300 or so orders (can't be sure of the exact numbers due to the steep discounts AB and Boeing give to launch customers) needed to break even. But there's plenty of time for that, the A380, with its 150 orders, is already halfway there.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #490
Skyblade
Chasing the skies

Likes (Received): 27

Man after all these years of waiting....it's finally flying!!!!!!!!!!
Skyblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #491
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
As for A380, it has yet to silence its doubters. Well, it has silenced the idiots who said it'll never fly, but those people just don't trust engineers. You'll continue to hear people say A380 was a mistake until the A380 gets the 300 or so orders (can't be sure of the exact numbers due to the steep discounts AB and Boeing give to launch customers) needed to break even. But there's plenty of time for that, the A380, with its 150 orders, is already halfway there.
It's important to note that of the 150 orders that Airbus has for the A380, 45 or nearly a third of them came from one airline--Emirates. The second biggest airline order is Lufthansa, I believe, at 15. So basically, without Emirates you would only have about a third sold of the total needed to break even. I hope Airbus succeeds and sells 600 A380s, if not more, but building a plane this big and getting it to fly was the easier problem. Selling another 150, at least, is a bigger one.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #492
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Most of the companies that have ordered them also have also put in options to buy more. I can also see alot of other companies buying them in the next 5 years and I think British Airways could be one. Can anyone think of other companies which might put orders in for them.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #493
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18174

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #494
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Most of the companies that have ordered them also have also put in options to buy more. I can also see alot of other companies buying them in the next 5 years and I think British Airways could be one. Can anyone think of other companies which might put orders in for them.
True. And once Boeing is forced to drop this rediculous 747 Advanced idea, BA, Cathay, JAL, ANA... they'll all start buying the A380. I doubt they'd go out and buy 43 like Emirates, but they'll at least buy a few and start modernizing their aging 747-400 fleets with a smaller pack of A380s.

But again... don't expect orders of 15+ from these companies either. I think they'll slowly ween off the 747, not replace them all at once. The 747 was designed to be easily converted to cargo aircraft, so I expect a great deal of the passenger versions in service today to become cargo workhorses soon.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #495
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Does anybody know how many 747s (passenger version) are in service now? Just imagine these jets would be replaced by the A380 within the next ten years!
DiggerD21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #496
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ According to Airliners.net, there's been 1,356 built to-date, and that's every model. JAL is the largest operator of the 747 currently with 80+ in their fleet. I'm not sure about the total number in operation right now though...
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #497
Nick in Atlanta

Please do not miss checking out this photo of the A380. It captures the true enormity of this plane overhead at 1000 feet. The photo was taken by Sam Chui, who is one of the best aviation photographers in the business.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...=826019&size=L
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #498
nakedyak

Likes (Received): 0

I know the A380 is bigger, but the 747 will always look...bigger...to me. I dont know why.

We'll probably never see one in Atlanta though
nakedyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #499
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

I've checked the current 747 fleet size of some Airlines (data taken from the airline websites):

Lufthansa: 30
British Airways: 57
Air France: 23
Quantas: 36
Singapore Airlines: 29 (6 of them not in operation)
Iberia: 5
Thai Airways: 20
Air New Zealand: 8
---
total: 208 (202)

Just imagine all these aircraft replaced by the A380.
DiggerD21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #500
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ I'd just like to point out just how disturbing that banana icon is in your profile.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways