daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #5081
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Eleven across. That is insane. I hope you don't feel claustrophobic after an eight hour flight.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5082
adymartianul
Make Europe great again

Likes (Received): 3357

Where? I can only see 10.
adymartianul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #5083
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62928

It's not in the picture. They just say that it's possible, but it's unlikely that any airline will use it. Unless Emirates will unleash a super high density version for their India routes, but since India still bans the A380 from it's airports it's not going to happen.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5084
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Why is India banning the A380 from its airports?!
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5085
michael.m stark

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

Why is India banning the A380 from its airports?!
"the Airbus A380 has been barred from flying commercially in India because it may stretch the existing infrastructure at Indian airports and undermine local airlines that do not have the aircraft in their fleet".

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
michael.m stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #5086
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

OK, I understand. So it´s pure protectionism by the Indian government.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5087
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2754

It should be "A380 banned India"

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5088
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Eleven across. That is insane. I hope you don't feel claustrophobic after an eight hour flight.
11 abreast? Dang, I wonder what the configuration would be... a 3-5-3 perhaps? I recall the "densest" configuration currently stands at 3-4-3 (which equals 10). A 3-5-3 would mean the least likely seat would be the middle seat of the 5-seat aisle configuration since you'll need to squeeze through 2 passengers either way in the process. It would be a bad configuration if it is used on a long-haul (6+ hour) flight since it'd mean passenger comfort issues later on.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Highcliff liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #5089
michael.m stark

[QUOTE=Deadeye Reloaded;104060424]
OK, I understand. So it´s pure protectionism by the Indian government. [/QU

pretty much yeah, but they are opening up and soon they might allow a380 flights.
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5090
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hopefully so because India is a huge aviation market... and I'm surprised that there isn't any A380 flight serving that nation.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Old June 7th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5091
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

India is overrated!
Tourists are chinese ,americans!

All this fuzz about asian markets have to be moderated.
China yes but the rest...

desertwarrior liked this post
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5092
michael.m stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Hopefully so because India is a huge aviation market... and I'm surprised that there isn't any A380 flight serving that nation.
yeah its huge second to china, but i think they have some on order so they might be allowed in first then allow the foreign companies
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #5093
iheartcities

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Basically Emirates have created a superior brand through their hard and soft product, add to that great sponsorships and an out of this world PR machine.

Plus relentless organic expansion with multiple flight times from each destination, a five star hub and bingo you have your self a winner.

They have brought back the chic of flying, something Pan Am had back in the day.

Dubai also attracts pax like a magnet for some reason.

I for one would avoid transiting in Dubai. I had done it three times all with Emirates and there were just so many people and not enough immigration counters opened (this happened everytime), had to queue over an hour just to get from one flight to another. The airport itself was a bit chaotic for me I thought.
iheartcities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #5094
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
India is overrated!
Tourists are chinese ,americans!

All this fuzz about asian markets have to be moderated.
China yes but the rest...
Remember, though, that China is one huge market, and India is another. But there is a larger region that holds a lot more: Southeast Asia. Yes, that region is home to three airlines already operating the A380 (Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, and Thai Airways), and it is a very fast-growing region that it shouldn't be ignored. The only thing lacking for SE Asia would be infrastructure, particularly in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam. Those three, coupled with Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand, hold pivot to the region's diverse economy, and they will be engines for future aviation growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcities View Post
I for one would avoid transiting in Dubai. I had done it three times all with Emirates and there were just so many people and not enough immigration counters opened (this happened everytime), had to queue over an hour just to get from one flight to another. The airport itself was a bit chaotic for me I thought.
How about transiting in Abu Dhabi, Doha, or Istanbul instead? All of them have very good to excellent airlines to start with...

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5095
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Exactly. Dubai's geographical location is the key to EK's successful business model. EK can serve all 4 continents non stop from Dubai.

They can serve ALL 6 continents non stop.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5096
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
They can serve ALL 6 continents non stop.
Then they could really serve ALL 7 if you would like to count Antarctica

Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America.
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5097
iheartcities

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post

How about transiting in Abu Dhabi, Doha, or Istanbul instead? All of them have very good to excellent airlines to start with...
I don't know if I will ever be needing to transit through the Middle East, however if I were to choose I'd go for Abu Dhabi. Flown Etihad once and the airport was much more efficient for its size. Never been to Doha so cannot comment.
iheartcities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #5098
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

image hosted on flickr

A380 flightline / Hamburg von XFW-Spotter auf Flickr

A380 Korean Air HL7621
image hosted on flickr

A380 Korean Air HL7621 von XFW-Spotter auf Flickr

Equario, Deadeye Reloaded, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Elktest; June 8th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #5099
rickycarter93

Likes (Received): 274

Malaysian Air to Add A380 Jets to Aid Turnaround: Southeast Asia

Malaysian Airline System Bhd. (MAS) plans to add more Airbus SAS superjumbos to its fleet as modern, fuel-efficient aircraft will assist a turnaround from two consecutive years of losses.

The flag carrier, which has six A380s, may order “a few more” double-decker planes, Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in an interview in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. Malaysian Air will arrive at a decision by the yearend, he said.

Ahmad Jauhari needs new aircraft to cut fuel expenses, the airline’s biggest cost at 37 percent, end losses and take on competition from Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA) (SIA), which also boosted its A380 orders last year. Asian carriers may help spur demand for Airbus’s superjumbo, whose sales have suffered in recent years as a weak global economy and a flaw with a wing component damped orders, leading to some unsold production slots.

“It’s better late than never,” said Mohshin Aziz, an analyst at Kuala Lumpur-based Maybank Investment Bank Bhd. “I believe the company will be profitable by the end of this year because by then it would have substantially refitted its fleet with brand new aircraft.”

Malaysian Air (MAS) will take delivery of 24 new aircraft this year and another 25 over the next two years, said Ahmad Jauhari, who became the CEO in September 2011. The carrier ordered 15 Airbus and 35 Boeing Co. planes in 2011.

Malaysian Air currently flies its A380s to London, Hong Kong and Paris. The carrier has fitted the superjumbos with first-class seats bigger than single-bed mattresses as part of efforts to win more premium traffic. Flights with the 494-seat plane began in July last year with a service to London.
Airbus (EAD) got nine orders for the superjumbo last year against a target of 30. In January, the planemaker said it aims to win 25 A380 sales this year.
‘Flying Aggressively’

“The A380s have been successful with passenger load factor of above 80 percent, sometimes even full load,” Ahmad Jauhari said. “We have been flying the A380s aggressively, 17 hours a day.”

Malaysian Air is also retiring 30 aircraft from its fleet this year to cut costs. New planes typically consume less fuel than older aircraft. With the retirement of old planes and new aircraft coming, the average age of Malaysian Air (MAS)’s fleet of 110 planes will be 5.4 years by end of 2013, Ahmad Jauhari said.

The airline is targeting to achieve a passenger load factor of more than 80 percent for the rest of the year from the current 78 percent, he said. The company’s focus will be on Asian capitals and major tourist destinations in the region.

Wider Loss
Competition is increasing for Malaysian Air, part of the Oneworld Alliance, as budget airlines expand in Southeast Asia and Singapore Air boosts plane orders. Singapore Air last month ordered 60 planes worth $17 billion from Boeing and Airbus.

Discount carriers in Southeast Asia ordered at least 1,000 new aircraft in the past five years as economic expansion across the region enables more people to start flying in countries such as Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam. Some 15 low-fare carriers started flying in the past decade across Asia.

Increased competition and rising costs pushed Malaysian Air into two straight years of losses. The carrier’s loss in the first quarter of this year widened to 278.8 million ringgit ($89 million) as fares declined, eroding gains from carrying more passengers.

Shares (MAS) of Malaysian Air have fallen 7.2 percent this year, underperforming a 5.4 percent advance in the benchmark FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI Index. The stock declined 4.6 percent to close at 31 sen in Kuala Lumpur yesterday. AirAsia Bhd. (AIRA), the region’s biggest discount carrier, has gained 30 percent this year, while Singapore Air dropped 4.5 percent.
Capital Spending

Malaysian Air may post a loss of 187.6 million ringgit this year and report a profit of 191 million ringgit in 2014, according to the average of 12 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Ten of the 13 analysts tracked by Bloomberg recommend selling the stock.

The company has over 4 billion ringgit of cash, sufficient to fund its working capital requirements for the next two to three years, Ahmad Jauhari said. The airline plans to have a capital spending of 10 billion ringgit this year and six billion ringgit next year, he said.

Carriers in the region are planning capacity expansion because traffic is growing, Ahmad Jauhari said. For Malaysian Air to emerge a key player, the company must expand, he said.

Asia-Pacific’s total traffic will grow 6.4 percent a year during the next 20 years, according to Boeing (BA). In that period, almost half of the world’s air traffic growth will be driven by travel to, from or within the region, it said.
“Remaining static means you will be shrinking when the market grows,” he said. “We have to grow at least in step with the market. We are very positive, moving forward.”

Source : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...east-asia.html

Deadeye Reloaded, Highcliff liked this post
rickycarter93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5100
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 886

MH is doing well with its A380 routes. It seems that people are still drawn to the big whale. Look at Emirates.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

Last edited by CxIxMaN; June 12th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways