daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #501
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

And I'd like to point out how much I hate cheese. No offense, but I really think it's gross. And unhealthy.

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:03 AM   #502
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
It's important to note that of the 150 orders that Airbus has for the A380, 45 or nearly a third of them came from one airline--Emirates. The second biggest airline order is Lufthansa, I believe, at 15. So basically, without Emirates you would only have about a third sold of the total needed to break even. I hope Airbus succeeds and sells 600 A380s, if not more, but building a plane this big and getting it to fly was the easier problem. Selling another 150, at least, is a bigger one.
That's actually a good point. I've asked before what is Emirates going to do with all those seats. No answer was forthcomming. At this point, it think it's part of the whole "bigger is better" psycology that going through the UAE at this time. The Burj Dubai, The World (that over-the-top island thing) and the 45 plane A380 purchase are all the result of the same idea.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #503
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
And I'd like to point out how much I hate cheese. No offense, but I really think it's gross. And unhealthy.
... Two words: EAT IT!!!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #504
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

LOL... it's like a cluster of rolling wheels of cheese!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #505
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
... Two words: EAT IT!!!
Excellent reply. Really. Congratulations. I couldn't have worded a better comeback myself.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #506
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Yay! I made a joke one person liked! And I've completely derailed the A380 conversation LOL!

We need hkskyline to post an article or something to get back on track.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #507
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedyak
I know the A380 is bigger, but the 747 will always look...bigger...to me. I dont know why.
Maybe that will change when you see them side by side.
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #508
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

The A380 has a wider wingspan, is taller and holds more passengers, but the 747 is longer and more graceful looking. That's my honest opinion and I try not to be biased towards either Airbus or Boeing. I want both to succeed and nothing would please me more than seeing a row of Boeing 747s parked next to a row of Airbus A380s at some major airport.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #509
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ Will the A380-900 be longer than the 747-400?

Also... when will the first Singapore Airlines A380 make its first appearance? I'm anxious to see an A380 in a carrier's livery.
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #510
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11200

Dubai International Airport - The World's A380 Hub
April 25, 2005 15:44 PM

KUALA LUMPUR, April 25 (Bernama) -- Dubai International Airport's ongoing US$4.1 billion (RM15.58 billion) expansion plan to welcome the arrival of the Airbus A380 for Emirates Airline will not only be the largest A380 airport in the world, but also one of the friendliest to the new aircraft and its passengers.

The airport, of which the expansion include both for passengers and cargo, will be a true home for the world's largest of the new superjumbo as Emirates Airline starts building up its massive fleet of 45 Airbus A380s.

The plan included the construction of Terminal 3, exclusively dedicated to Emirates, which would be supporting Concourses 2 and 3, the airline said in a statement here Monday.

The terminal is scheduled for completion in 2006, coinciding with the arrival of the airline's first A380 in October the same year.

By the end of the decade, nearly 40 of the aircraft would have been pressed into service by the Dubai airline, it said.

Meanwhile, the new facility has been specifically designed to handle the very large number of passengers arriving and departing with each of Emirates' new huge planes.

Concourse 2 will have five gates specifically designed for the aircraft, with oversize seating areas and double-decker aerobridges, and another 18 similar gates will be available at Concourse 3.

The arrival areas also will be designed to handle the 500-plus passengers disembarking from each A380, with large-capacity baggage conveyor belts, a high number of immigration desks and large customs areas.

The statement said the airport's expansion plan also incorporated a Cargo Mega Terminal, designed to expand the airport's present annual cargo capacity of around 1.0 million tonnes to 2.7 million tonnes by 2015.

The first phase of the cargo terminal, due for completion in 2005, would enable it to handle the two Emirates SkyCargo's A380 freighters ordered so far, it said.

In the meantime, taxiways leading to the new Terminal 3 and the Cargo Mega Terminal are being constructed to accommodate the width and turning radius of the A380 while some existing taxiways will also be expanded for the aircraft.

Emirates Airline, the Dubai-based international airline which was among the 20 largest ones and the world's five most profitable, was both the first customer and is now by a large margin the biggest customer for this next generation aircraft with 45 aircraft on firm order.

-- BERNAMA
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #511
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:

Also... when will the first Singapore Airlines A380 make its first appearance? I'm anxious to see an A380 in a carrier's livery.

first scheduled flight should be first half of next year, but I reckon the plane will be rolled out way before that

time to make a part 2 for this thread soon though.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:10 AM   #512
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
The real question is will there be an A389?
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #513
MCarr
Future after Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
The real question is will there be an A389?
the real answer would be: why not?

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #514
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

i think A380-800 is longer than 747. And the A389 is definitely longer than 747 and A388.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #515
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

The A380 its longer than the 747. The worlds longest plane is the A340-600. The A388 and A389 arnt even planes!!!
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #516
Nephasto
Enlightened user

The 380-800 (the current model) is longer than the 747-400.
Only the 777-300 and the 340-600(world's longest airplane) are longer than the 380-800.
The 380-900 should be the longest plane in the world if ever made.
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #517
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #518
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3197

A few weeks ago I saw a comparison picture of the A380 with the 747 and the Antonov-225...Unfortunately I don't know where to find it now...

It is funny that the prototype was given the registration 'F-WWOW'. That is no coincidence, I guess...
Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #519
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

A380 airports: Known and guesstimates

The new double decker Airbus A380 that flew for the first time this week has many airports around the world questioning whether they should spend the money on larger taxiways, main deck and upper deck jetways for each A380 and other costs.

Atlanta's airport manager has said that they will not make any changes to the airport for the A380. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) will not be ready for Virgin Atlantic's stated desire to fly there from London as soon as they get their first A380. But Munich has already been certified as A380 capable.

Based on the list of orders for the A380 and the purchasing airport's hub, we can make a list of which airports will need to be capable of handling the A380. But, those planes have to fly somewhere and I'd like to know which airports you think will need to be capable of handling the A380.

Airlines with Firm Orders for passenger aircraft and their chief hub, which will have to be A380 capable:

Air France--Paris, France (Charles de Gaulle)
China Southern Airlines--Guangzhou, China
Emirates--Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Etihad Airways--Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Korean Airlines--Seoul, Korea (Incheon)
Lufthansa--Frankfurt, Germany
Malaysia Airlines--Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Qantas Airlines--Sydney, Australia
Singapore Airlines-Singapore
Thai Airways International--Bangkok, Thailand
Virgin Atlantic Airways--London, UK (Heathrow)

What I would like to hear from all of you, is where you think these airlines will fly their A380s to. Please list the name of the airline and it's likely A380 destinations.

Example: Qantas--Sydney to Los Angeles (LAX)

**I didn't include Federal Express, UPS and ILFC, because the first two have ordered A380 freighters, which aren't due out until 2008, and ILFC because it is an aircraft leasing company and it's not public knowledge who will be their customers for their passenger A380s.

Last edited by Nick in Atlanta; May 1st, 2005 at 05:57 AM.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #520
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

I'm pretty sure Amsterdam Schiphol will want to make changes to their airport, for two reasons. One is to keep their top10 airport ranking in the world, and two is so they can facilitate Air France A380's, should they need to. (Schiphol is the hub of KLM, who merged with Air France. I don't know if this will mean that Air France's A380's will use Schiphol as well though)

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways