daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM   #561
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3240

What's so special about Emirates Airlines and the fact that they don't fly passenger flights to Amsterdam?

(There are Emirates flights to Amsterdam, although only operated with Boeing 747-400F freighters...)
Mojito está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:50 PM   #562
Chicago Hokie

Likes (Received): 0

New Bangkok International Airport will have 5 gates that will be able to handle A380s.
Chicago Hokie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:17 PM   #563
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito
What's so special about Emirates Airlines and the fact that they don't fly passenger flights to Amsterdam?

(There are Emirates flights to Amsterdam, although only operated with Boeing 747-400F freighters...)
Well Emirates flies to much smaller cities or catchment areas than the Randstad in the western Netherlands. For example Birmingham, England, Glasgow, Scotland and soon Hamburg, Germany. Because they do or will fly to these smaller market cities, I'm surprised they don't fly to Amsterdam.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:27 PM   #564
Sol

Likes (Received): 2844

Quote:
. The Emirates also bought some A380 freighters, so I expect them at Amsterdam too.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:10 PM   #565
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^Manfucturing-wise, there aren't many differences between producing 60 aircraft and producing 600. Both production runs would be done on assembly lines using mass-produced parts. The only real difference is in how long the production line remains open.

Hand-built planes, such as the An-225 Cossack, are a different matter as each is custom built using custom machined parts.

And yes, that is quite an irony. Though, Lockheed underbid for that contract, so Boeing, or McDD might have had the overall better proposal. This actually came back to bite Lockheed later when they bid for the Space Shuttle.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:14 PM   #566
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I have to admit, this plane is growing on me. It's still not a beauty, but I don't think it's ugly.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM   #567
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 753

Downunder
Apart from Sydney , Melbourne is constructing 2 special gates for the A380 (2x A380 or up to 4 smaller aircraft). Brisbane and Perth will likely be all set for A380s in the not too distant future.

Auckland is building an extra 4 A380 stands. Auckland gets 21 Emirates flights a week, as well as being a destination for A380 users Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, and Qantas. For an airport handling only 10 million passengers per year Auckland could potentially see alot of A380s coming and going as a proportion of its traffic. Christchurch gets daily Emirates and Singapore Airlines services so will also be a potential A380 destination and is making preparations to accomodate it.

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; May 2nd, 2005 at 09:24 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:34 AM   #568
Nick in Atlanta

^Auckland may be one of the smallest cities to have A380 service.^
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:25 AM   #569
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 1001

In terms of Runways and Taxiways Brisbane is aparently the only one in Australia ready for the A380 - being far enough apart. Construction of new airbridges and a major international terminal expansion is due to start soon if not already. The new third runway will also take A380s.

It looks like the only airlines to bring A380 to Brisbane are Emirates and Singapore Airlines. Singapore comes in 3 times daily while Emirates uses Brisbane as a Hub to points in New Zealand. Emirates has also expressed interest in flying the Brisbane to LAX route - which is one of the most profitable for Qantas.

jt
JayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:31 AM   #570
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32181

Nick, I heard recently on the news that Honolulu Internatioanl (HNL) has plans to upgrade for A380 to be able to service the Tokyo-Honolulu route from Japan Airlines. I beleive this is one of the busiest transpacific routes...I think there are like 10 flights a day from Japan to HNL.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:57 AM   #571
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3107

I understand Melbourne will be the first airport in Australia to be capable of handling the A380.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:15 AM   #572
Beacon
Beacon

Likes (Received): 3

It seems from most media reports, that it may not be the busiest routes where the A380 is most effective, but the long-haul, most profitable routes. It looks like an economies of scale issue, so if I were making an educated guess (which I'm not, really), I'd say the end-of-the-line airports in Australia, North Asia, California, and South America would be the most likely to make the changes. I'd look at the routes where packing more people onto fewer flights would increase profits in already profitable routes.

Sydney to Dubai to Heathrow would be a good example, or Melbourne to LAX. Or LAX to London, even more...

Not sure though.

You've got to wonder whether Heathrow will turn into a black hole one day, and collapse under its own mass, sucking all of England into its vortex...
Beacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:48 AM   #573
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Toronto's new terminal 1 Pier F will be A380 compatible. Does anyone know if any airlines are showing interest of flying their A380 here?
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:08 AM   #574
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip
Toronto's new terminal 1 Pier F will be A380 compatible. Does anyone know if any airlines are showing interest of flying their A380 here?
The most likely, and it is just a guesstimation because they don't even serve Toronto yet, is Emirates from Dubai to Toronto. It's real iffy though.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:09 AM   #575
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo
Nick, I heard recently on the news that Honolulu Internatioanl (HNL) has plans to upgrade for A380 to be able to service the Tokyo-Honolulu route from Japan Airlines. I beleive this is one of the busiest transpacific routes...I think there are like 10 flights a day from Japan to HNL.
It is a very busy route, but JAL or ANA have to place orders for the A380 first though.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:17 AM   #576
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

^ JAL, ANA, Cathay, BA are holding out hope for the 747 Advanced. Once the 747 production line is announced dead this summer they'll buy some A380s.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM   #577
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
What you will see is that the A380 will replace the 747. Virgin Atlantic are going to replace there 747 on busy routes because the they say that for them the A380 will do two 747 flights. So instead of two flights daily to some where it will be cut down to one. I recon this is what most airlines will do.
Or maybe the airlines will keep the frequencies and just use the A380 on the route instead of a 747.....
no name no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM   #578
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
Or maybe the airlines will keep the frequencies and just use the A380 on the route instead of a 747.....
It all depends on how many people use the route. Say you have 2 flights a day each carrying 250 on a 747. Why have two flight when you can save money and stick them all on one A380 flight and still have room to spare. but lets say there are 400 people on on two flights a day on 747, if you the changed over to a A380 you would still have to run 2 flights a day so you may as well just stick with your 747's.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM   #579
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
It all depends on how many people use the route. Say you have 2 flights a day each carrying 250 on a 747. Why have two flight when you can save money and stick them all on one A380 flight and still have room to spare. but lets say there are 400 people on on two flights a day on 747, if you the changed over to a A380 you would still have to run 2 flights a day so you may as well just stick with your 747's.
If they have 2 flights carrying 250 people on a 747 wouldn't they use a smaller plane, reduce it down to 1 flight or cut that route?
Well if the 747's on every flight are filled it means you can get more people on to those 2 daily flights with an A380, which would lead to more passengers, more cargo and usually more $$$.
no name no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #580
Nick in Atlanta

Singapore Airlines plans for the A380s?

All right, I'm going to ask a question here. Singapore Airlines will get the first A380 out of the assembly line and they have stated that they will use the A380 on the "Kangaroo Hop" from London (Heathrow) to Singapore and on to Sydney, Australia. But, Singapore Airlines has 10 firm orders for the A380. Of course they will be delivered over a few years time.

Will they use all ten A380s on the "Kangaroo Hop" or will some be used on other routes? If you think they will be used on other routes, what are they?

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways