daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #6021
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickycarter93 View Post
European plane maker Airbus on Wednesday announced 20 orders by Amedeo, formerly Doric Lease Corp, for its flagship A380 superjumbo worth $8.3 billion at list prices.

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regiona...-dollar83-bn-2
So which carrier are the 20 A380's operating under?

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #6022
rickycarter93

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
So which carrier are the 20 A380's operating under?
No idea. It wasn't stated in the press release just yet. Found out the news via Airbus's twitter acc..
rickycarter93 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #6023
EK413

Quote:
No idea. It wasn't stated in the press release just yet. Found out the news via Airbus's twitter acc..
I'm guessing the top 3 contenders would be UN, TK, or EK.
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #6024
rickycarter93

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
I'm guessing the top 3 contenders would be UN, TK, or EK.
From the news last year, TK seems to be opting for the 777 instead of the A380. EK has voice out that they always wanted more. I am not sure about UN thou. I last heard TG and MH does show interest for more, but no updates so far till today. Hope they would announce it soon. The suspense is kinda killing me. Haha..
rickycarter93 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #6025
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 752

I'm hoping TK, that would look goood
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #6026
EK413

Quote:
From the news last year, TK seems to be opting for the 777 instead of the A380. EK has voice out that they always wanted more. I am not sure about UN thou. I last heard TG and MH does show interest for more, but no updates so far till today. Hope they would announce it soon. The suspense is kinda killing me. Haha..
I wouldn't be surprised if its EK considering a number of the earlier frames would be due for retirement by the time these are delivered. TK like every other carrier use this tactic to get a better deal from the manufactures.
Regarding TG & MH I've heard both positive & negative news.
TG don't require a large fleet with the 6 frames occupied on the BKK-HKG, FRA, NRT, & CDG routes. There was plans to serve SYD but TG opted for European destinations. Same can be said for MH opting to operate the aircraft to LHR, CDG, HKG, & again shelved plans to operate the aircraft into SYD in favour of frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarkti View Post
I'm hoping TK, that would look goood
that makes 2 of us!!!
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #6027
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3332

News from CNA.

Quote:
Airbus gets first A380 order for 2014 with US$8.3b deal
POSTED: 12 Feb 2014 14:09

Airbus on Wednesday received its first order of the year for its flagship A380 when leasing firm Amedeo signed an $8.3 billion deal for 20 of the superjumbos.

SINGAPORE: Airbus on Wednesday received its first order of the year for its flagship A380 when leasing firm Amedeo signed an $8.3 billion deal for 20 of the superjumbos.

The purchase agreement, signed at the Singapore Airshow, put the European manufacturer on track to meet its target of 30 orders for the world's largest passenger plane in 2014.

Airbus had suffered some setbacks last year with the discovery of cracks on some of the giant jetliners' wings.

But John Leahy, its chief operating officer for customers, said: "This firm order from Amedeo is a clear recognition of the A380's long-term market appeal.

"The A380 is the best tool for airlines to capture growth and increase profits."

Amedeo, formerly Doric Lease Corp, is the world's biggest manager of leased A380s.

"As world air traffic continues to double every 15 years and airport infrastructure and slots do not, the A380 is the best solution for airlines to capture that growth," said Amedeo chief executive Mark Lapidus.

The orders will be delivered from 2016 to 2020. Amedeo will announce its engine selection later.

"Put it in the right routes at peak traffic times and it is an unbeatable profit-generating machine for airlines," Lapidus said.

Airbus said more than 120 A380s are now in operation worldwide following its launch in 2007.

Leahy said the company wants about 30 orders for the A380 this year.

Despite the lift for Airbus from the Amedeo deal, one analyst said it should look beyond the A380.

"It's more an exception than the rule because we don't see a huge demand for this aircraft," said Shukor Yusof, with Standard and Poor's Equity Research.

"This is a niche aircraft meant for a small market. Airbus would do much better to focus on the A350," he said, referring to a new generation of long-range aircraft.

Airbus says it has received 814 orders so far from 30 countries for the A350-XWB, a wide-body plane due to begin service with Qatar Airways in the fourth quarter of 2014.

The Amedeo order was the second major deal announced by Airbus at the Singapore trade show.

On Tuesday fledgling carrier VietJetAir ordered 63 Airbus A320 jets with a list price of $6.4 billion in an expansion programme that underscores Asia's central role in the future of world aviation.

The deal also covers rights to acquire or lease 38 more A320s, potentially boosting the budget carrier's current fleet of 11 A320s tenfold.

Another European plane manufacturer, ATR, secured important contracts on Wednesday.

It signed a nearly $500 million deal with leasing firm Dubai Aerospace Enterprise for 20 ATR 72-600 planes.

It also signed a $150 million agreement with Bangkok Airways for six ATR 72-600s, with an option for the Thai carrier to buy two more.

Dubai Aerospace is the biggest aviation leasing firm in the Middle East, with an aircraft portfolio of about $3.3 billion comprising Boeing B737s and B777s, as well as Airbus A320s and A330s.

It has an option to buy 20 more of the ATR aircraft.

In another deal unveiled at the Singapore show, Thai budget carrier Nok Air on Wednesday committed to buy 15 B737s from Boeing worth $1.45 billion.

The commitment is for eight next-generation 737-800s and seven 737 MAX 8s, Nok Air and Boeing said.

- AFP/jl/de
source: CNA

cfredo, Ulpia-Serdica liked this post
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #6028
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Considering Airbus sold 70 A380's in the last four months I'm confident to say that the SJ program is doing well for now.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #6029
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if its EK considering a number of the earlier frames would be due for retirement by the time these are delivered. TK like every other carrier use this tactic to get a better deal from the manufactures.
Regarding TG & MH I've heard both positive & negative news.
TG don't require a large fleet with the 6 frames occupied on the BKK-HKG, FRA, NRT, & CDG routes. There was plans to serve SYD but TG opted for European destinations. Same can be said for MH opting to operate the aircraft to LHR, CDG, HKG, & again shelved plans to operate the aircraft into SYD in favour of frequency.
I read an article concerning MH considering getting more a380s a few months back. So, I am confident they are one of the potential lessees.
As for TG, they deployed more a380s to Japan during the current Winter period (2 daily to Narita + 1 daily to Osaka) and I heard they are doing pretty well there (much better than on their european routes). So, if they want to keep the a380 on those routes, they might need a few more for London and Sydney, and maybe to go all-a380 to Narita and Osaka. So, it is possible that they will get some from Doric. However, considering the current political situation and the management instability at TG, I doubt that will happen.
For both airlines though, if this is confirmed, I am 100 % sure they will get at most 6 each.
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #6030
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Considering Airbus sold 70 A380's in the last four months I'm confident to say that the SJ program is doing well for now.
The sales goals are still a bit low, around 30 for this year and 30 for 2015.
The re-engining will hopefully give a strong boost to the sales.
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #6031
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62956

Flightglobal reports that Amedeo has not placed any of the 20 yet.

Quote:
Lapidus confirms however that the lessor has not yet secured customers for the A380s, as it is a "speculative order."
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-a380s-395828/
They said that the firming up came with some big news, I guess that was only the name change.

As for the possible takers. For the earliest deliveries I can only see existing customers (including the airlines that will take delivery of their 1st this year). But I don't see all the 20 placed with the current users (unless Emirates takes even more), it's going to be interesting if they can find a completely new airline.

ps.
With the 8 cancellations their net total sold was 62 in the last 6 months. They still need even more orders then todays order to fill up all the non Emirates production slots at the end of the decade. The replacement market might start a bit too late for Airbus to keep the rates going. But then again, with 30 deliveries per year it remains very much a niche airplane. A reduction won't have a huge effect on the whole supply chain.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6032
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

Emirates to commemorate 10 years at Glasgow Airport with one-off A380 service

Emirates will celebrate 10 years at Glasgow Airport with a one-off A380 service - the first time a Scottish airport has welcomed the world's largest passenger aircraft.
Emirates will operate the one-off flight from Glasgow Airport on 10th April 2014 to celebrate a decade of carrying Scotland’s passengers to Dubai and beyond.
The occasion is set to be an equally huge milestone for Glasgow Airport as it becomes the first airport in Scotland to welcome the A380, which stands over 24 metres high and has a wing span of nearly 80 metres.
Since Emirates began operations at Glasgow Airport on 10th April 2004, it has carried 2.3 million passengers across its global network which now covers 141 destinations.
Emirates currently offers over 43,000 passenger seats per month to and from Glasgow, following the upgrade of its second daily service to a Boeing 777 in 2012.
Whether stopping in Dubai or connecting to another destination, passengers embarking on this unique A380 flight from Glasgow can expect a spacious aircraft, with a cabin that is two-and-a-half feet wider than a Boeing 777; a peaceful journey in the world’s quietest long-range jet; on-board Wi-Fi; world-class in-flight menus and the award-winning ice entertainment system.
Laurie Berryman, Emirates Vice President UK, said: “As the largest A380 operator in the world, it is a historic moment to see one of our A380s take flight from Glasgow Airport for the first time. Celebrating 10 years in Glasgow is a landmark occasion for us and it demonstrates our continued commitment to Glasgow and Scotland, which is an extremely important passenger and cargo market for Emirates.”
Amanda McMillan, Managing Director of Glasgow Airport, also commented: “Since its arrival in 2004, Emirates has been one of Glasgow Airport’s biggest success stories and its decision to introduce a second daily service to Dubai in 2012 confirmed its status as Scotland’s leading long-haul airline. To bring the A380 to Scotland for the first time will be a hugely significant milestone in our country’s aviation history and an exciting day for the passengers who will have the opportunity to fly on the aircraft and the staff who have worked hard to make it possible.”
The one-off A380 flight will operate as EK028 and will depart Glasgow at 15:35hrs arriving in Dubai the following day at 0200hrs.

http://www.glasgowairport.com/about-...f-a380-service
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #6033
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Asiana Airlines on their facebook page posted this.

Asiana Airlines
2 hours ago
Asiana Airlines’ President Soo Cheon Kim revealed the company’s plans and strategy for introducing the A380 on February 10, 2014 at a press conference in Seoul.

Asiana will receive two A380 aircraft which will commence operations to Los Angeles from July 30, 2014. These aircraft are expected to further enhance the quality of one of Asiana’s most popular long haul destinations. Prior to being introduced on the Los Angeles route, Asiana plans to temporarily utilize the A380s on short and medium haul international destinations like Tokyo Narita, Osaka, Hong Kong and Bangkok from June.

Asiana’s A380 strategy will place primary focus on the maximization of seat efficiency and the enhancement of premium seat quality. The new aircraft will consist of a total of 495 seats--12 First Class, 66 Business Class, and 417 Travel Class seats. Asiana specifically designed this new aircraft to enhance seat efficiency and to meet the demands of each class.
Photo: Asiana Airlines’ President Soo Cheon Kim revealed the company’s plans and strategy for introducing the A380 on February 10, 2014 at a press conference in Seoul. Asiana will receive two A380 aircraft which will commence operations to Los Angeles from July 30, 2014.These aircraft are expected to further enhance the quality of one of Asiana’s most popular long haul destinations. Prior to being introduced on the Los Angeles route, Asiana plans to temporarily utilize the A380s on short and medium haul international destinations like Tokyo Narita, Osaka, Hong Kong and Bangkok from June. Asiana’s A380 strategy will place primary focus on the maximization of seat efficiency and the enhancement of premium seat quality. The new aircraft will consist of a total of 495 seats--12 First Class, 66 Business Class, and 417 Travel Class seats. Asiana specifically designed this new aircraft to enhance seat efficiency and to meet the demands of each class.

So Osaka will have one temporary A380 service from Asiana and they also get THAI service too.

Equario liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #6034
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

skymark is gorgeous.....

but I believe a380 could be used permanently in any short and medium haul airports....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #6035
wwc234

Likes (Received): 5110

wwc234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #6036
Le Male

After EK's introduction of a 2nd daily a380 service to BKK last October, it's interesting to see BKK getting a 3rd already.

Dubai – Bangkok eff 01MAY14 EK374/375 A380 (38M; 517-seater) replaces 777-300

So I have no doubt EK will go all-380 on their Bangkok route. It's just a matter of when.

Last edited by Le Male; February 13th, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #6037
GTR66
GTR66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
After EK's introduction of a 2nd daily a380 service to BKK last October, it's interesting to see BKK getting a 3rd already.

Dubai – Bangkok eff 01MAY14 EK374/375 A380 (38M; 517-seater) replaces 777-300

So I have no doubt EK will go all-380 on their Bangkok route. It's just a matter of when.
I am also surprise that THAI has not introduce their own A380 on the route. They could always pull one from another route or they could lease or buy more A380s for the routes.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6038
Le Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
I am also surprise that THAI has not introduce their own A380 on the route. They could always pull one from another route or they could lease or buy more A380s for the routes.
As you know, most EK's passengers on this route just transited in Dubai, they are mostly from Europe. You can't really compare EK and TG on this route.
EK's increase in capacity on DXB-BKK route, in fact, mainly means for TG a loss of customers in the european market. So if they really want to compete with EK, they should be more aggressive in Europe (by sending better aircraft and flying to new destinations).
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #6039
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Exactly EK has a superior network feeding they're Dubai-Bangkok service which is expanding each year.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #6040
GTR66
GTR66

Qatar to take first A380s in June, plans Farnborough extravaganza

Qatar Airways has pushed back its Airbus A380 deliveries to the middle of this year to coincide with the opening of the new Doha airport. Meanwhile the airline is aiming to steal the limelight at this year’s Farnborough air show by displaying no less than four airliners including an A380, an A320, an A350, and a 787.

“We will receive our first three A380s in June, which were supposed to be delivered in April, May and June,” says Qatar Airways chief executive Akbar Al Baker. “This delay is due to the opening of Doha’s new Hamad International Airport.”

Qatar Airways will bring its first A380 to the Farnborough air show in July, where it will also display a Boeing 787-8 and a sharklet-equipped A320. Al Baker says the airline’s line-up will be completed by Airbus displaying A350-900 MSN4 adorned in a hybrid scheme with Qatar Airways titles and branding.

The opening of the new airport – which has been delayed by over a year due to wrangles over completion contracts with suppliers - is expected to take place in the coming months.

“The chairman of the steering committee has already announced that the airport will open in the second quarter of 2014,” says Al Baker. “Qatar Airways, as airport operator, would prefer to have a soft opening to not put too much load on new systems and gradually ramp up the use of the airport.”

Doha and Qatar Airways play host to this year’s IATA annual general meeting in June and it has been the intention to ensure that the new airport is operational when this high profile event takes place.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways