daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #6401
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I've heard the A380 take off and it was a bit disappointing to me. You get the whoosh, but you don't get the roar and the rumble. To be as big as it is, it is pretty quiet.
That's why the A380 is successful when you compare the size vs "noise" it is an amazing sight. Leaves you questioning how an aircraft the size of the A380 1) is quiet 2) gets off the ground...

Cadîr liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #6402
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

The A380 is quieter than the A340-600 because the front fan on the A380 engines turn slower than that of the A340-600. Slower front fan speed means a lot less engine noise--so much so that the A380 is one of the few planes that meet the very strict Quota Count 2 certification for nighttime operations out of London area airports.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #6403
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

On April 27th 2005, the Airbus A380 made it's first flight, nine years ago today:

Le Male liked this post

Last edited by Black Watch; April 27th, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6404
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52107

Qatar Airways A380 First Class

by Qatar Airways
Oasis-Bangkok está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #6405
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Nice, but I don't think the first class should be on the upper floor. The width and the windows would be nicer on the bottom floor. Leave the upper deck for business class.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6406
Alex67

Likes (Received): 258

Lufthansa - A380 Towing Frankfurt Main

http://aviationspotters.net/user_pho..._name=toto1973
Alex67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #6407
nawa87

Likes (Received): 267

nawa87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #6408
nawa87

9 years ago the Airbus A380 made its first flight.

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #6409
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Can't believe it has been 9 years, I remember the release of the A380 being years away.

The A380 I was in was incredibly quiet. I was on the lower deck above the wing and it was still very quiet. I think that having the first class on the upper deck in front of the engines is a good idea, it is probably extremely quiet. Most flights to and from Doha on an A380 will be long haul flights and the passengers will be more concerned about sleeping than looking out the window. This is in great contrast to the 777, I flew a Delta 777 in business class from Detroit to Shanghai, and even people in the Biz cabin thought the engine was about to explode. It was making a ton of noise at takeoff. Also I didn't sleep the entire flight because it was noisy eventhough I had earplugs.

Cadîr liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #6410
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
That's why the A380 is successful when you compare the size vs "noise" it is an amazing sight. Leaves you questioning how an aircraft the size of the A380 1) is quiet 2) gets off the ground...
3) very cheap to operate for the aircraft of such size

EK413 liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #6411
Black Watch
Labore et Scientia

Likes (Received): 2107

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14047526871
©: Welshman62

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14047391212
©: Marc Melander
Black Watch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #6412
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Finally...
Quote:
Qatar Airways to debut its first A380 on London Heathrow route on June 17

Qatar Airways’ highly anticipated arrival of its A380 fleet moved one step closer today, with the annoucement that from 17th June the aircraft will commence operations on the popular London Heathrow route from Doha’s new hub, Hamad International Airport.

With a customised interior meeting the high-demand specifications of Qatar Airways, the airline’s new A380s will undoubtedly be the talk of travellers at Qatar’s new Hamad International Airport when the first aircraft enters service.
The first of 13 such aircraft on order, Qatar Airways is set to receive three A380 aircraft in quick succession this summer and the new aircraft will commence operations on the QR003 and QR004 London-Heathrow route.
Featuring a tri-class configuration of seating in First, Business and Economy Class, over two decks, the A380 is the largest passenger jet in the world and will provide a superior traveller experience to the airline’s customers.

The new First Class A380 seat, recently revealed at the world’s leading travel show, ITB Berlin, features a 90-inch seat pitch, transforming into a fully flat bed, together with an expansive choice of entertainment options displayed on individual 26-inch television screens.

hief Executive Officer of Qatar Airways, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said: “It is a significant moment in our airline’s history to welcome these aircraft into our rapidly expanding fleet. Operating on the Doha to London Heathrow route, these aircraft, with their customised cabins, will set a new level of comfort for our passengers, who will also benefit from a smooth and pleasant passenger experience at the world’s newest airport, Hamad International Airport, the soon to be opened new home of Qatar Airways.

“We are committed to offering our passengers the best possible experience when it comes to travelling with the airline, not only in terms of custom-built comfort features across all of our cabins, but with the continued expansion of our young and modern fleet.”

The arrival this year of the airline´s first A380 marks a significant milestone for the airline, whose future home, Hamad International Airport (HIA), has been specially designed to cater to the aircraft, with six contact gates designed specifically for the superjumbo. In addition, the maintenance hangar at HIA – which is the largest in the world – is able to accommodate two A380s simultaneously.

Qatar Airways is also celebrating a year of intensive fleet growth and recently becoming a member of the oneworld global alliance network. In addition to the 13 A380 aircraft the airline currently has on order, Qatar Airways is also set this year to welcome the first of 80 A350 aircraft, the world’s newest aircraft, as Airbus’ launch customer. This forms part of Qatar Airways plans to significantly expand its fleet with 300 additional aircraft on order, worth more than US $50 billion, including the Boeing 787 and 777X.

Qatar Airways has seen rapid growth in just 17 years of operation, to the point where today it is flying a modern fleet of 131 aircraft to 137 key business and leisure destinations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific, North America and South America.

Over the next few months, the network will grow further with Larnaca, Cyprus (April 29), Al Hofuf, Saudi Arabia (May 15), Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen Airport, Turkey (May 22, 2014), Edinburgh, Scotland (May 28, 2014), Miami, USA (June 10, 2014), Haneda, Japan (June 18, 2014) and Dallas/Fort Worth, USA (July 1, 2014).

Source: gulfnews.com
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #6413
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

A380 in the powerbox

A380 Lufthansa D-AIML von XFW-Spotter auf Flickr

A380 Air France F-HPJJ

A380 Air France F-HPJJ von XFW-Spotter auf Flickr
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #6414
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
The A380 I was in was incredibly quiet. I was on the lower deck above the wing and it was still very quiet. I think that having the first class on the upper deck in front of the engines is a good idea, it is probably extremely quiet.
I flew the 380 upper deck front cabin and while it was very quiet (landing in New York I thought the engines were off the last 10 minutes) I also wandered downstairs during the flight and could not tell a difference. I walked the whole length of the plane both decks front to back. I found the 'lounge' area (Air France) at the very front upper deck to have more wind noise than expected.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #6415
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
This is in great contrast to the 777, I flew a Delta 777 in business class from Detroit to Shanghai, and even people in the Biz cabin thought the engine was about to explode. It was making a ton of noise at takeoff. Also I didn't sleep the entire flight because it was noisy eventhough I had earplugs.
I was wondering, whether if you flew with the early generation of Boeing 777 which uses rather noisy PW 4000 engine?

The later generations Boeing 777 are almost as quiet as Airbus A380.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #6416
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post

Qatar Airways A380 First Class

by Qatar Airways
that pic shows my biggest complaint about the top deck (not idea if the lower is the same) namely the huge depth of the windows.

I was sat slightly behind the last window, and I couldn't see out at all unless I leaned forwards.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #6417
nawa87

A380s in Heathrow

http://t.co/zEFHKTKkE3

Le Male, klm.b777, patel2897, EK413, sujith85 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #6418
nawa87

Qatar Airways to debut its first A380 to London Heathrow Airport from June 17

Quote:

Doha, Qatar – Qatar Airways’ highly anticipated arrival of its A380 fleet moved one step closer today, with the annoucement that from 17th June the aircraft will commence operations on the popular London Heathrow route from Doha’s new hub, Hamad International Airport.

With a customised interior meeting the high-demand specifications of Qatar Airways, the airline’s new A380s will undoubtedly be the talk of travellers at Qatar’s new Hamad International Airport when the first aircraft enters service.

The first of 13 such aircraft on order, Qatar Airways is set to receive three A380 aircraft in quick succession this summer and the new aircraft will commence operations on the QR003 and QR004 London-Heathrow route.

Featuring a tri-class configuration of seating in First, Business and Economy Class, over two decks, the A380 is the largest passenger jet in the world and will provide a superior traveller experience to the airline’s customers.

The new First Class A380 seat, recently revealed at the world’s leading travel show, ITB Berlin, features a 90-inch seat pitch, transforming into a fully flat bed, together with an expansive choice of entertainment options displayed on individual 26-inch television screens.

Chief Executive Officer of Qatar Airways, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said: “It is a significant moment in our airline’s history to welcome these aircraft into our rapidly expanding fleet. Operating on the Doha to London Heathrow route, these aircraft, with their customised cabins, will set a new level of comfort for our passengers, who will also benefit from a smooth and pleasant passenger experience at the world’s newest airport, Hamad International Airport, the soon to be opened new home of Qatar Airways.

“We are committed to offering our passengers the best possible experience when it comes to travelling with the airline, not only in terms of custom-built comfort features across all of our cabins, but with the continued expansion of our young and modern fleet.”

The arrival this year of the airline´s first A380 marks a significant milestone for the airline, whose future home, Hamad International Airport (HIA), has been specially designed to cater to the aircraft, with six contact gates designed specifically for the superjumbo. In addition, the maintenance hangar at HIA – which is the largest in the world – is able to accommodate two A380s simultaneously.

Qatar Airways is also celebrating a year of intensive fleet growth and recently becoming a member of the oneworld global alliance network. In addition to the 13 A380 aircraft the airline currently has on order, Qatar Airways is also set this year to welcome the first of 80 A350 aircraft, the world’s newest aircraft, as Airbus’ launch customer. This forms part of Qatar Airways plans to significantly expand its fleet with 300 additional aircraft on order, worth more than US $50 billion, including the Boeing 787 and 777X.

Qatar Airways has seen rapid growth in just 17 years of operation, to the point where today it is flying a modern fleet of 131 aircraft to 137 key business and leisure destinations across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific, North America and South America.

Over the next few months, the network will grow further with Larnaca, Cyprus (April 29), Al Hofuf, Saudi Arabia (May 15), Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen Airport, Turkey (May 22, 2014), Edinburgh, Scotland (May 28, 2014), Miami, USA (June 10, 2014), Haneda, Japan (June 18, 2014), Dallas/Fort Worth, USA (July 1, 2014) and Djibouti (July 27, 2014).
http://t.co/bpzo8H1IfH
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6419
nawa87

Morning L.A

http://t.co/KUP4RXi2h3

michael_n_ liked this post
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #6420
nawa87

A380 destinations map

http://t.co/NyXQH7vlk5

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways