daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #661
New York Yankee
member
 
New York Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 1,034
Likes (Received): 4

Emirates Airlines has in a couple of his a380's a 649 seats configuration.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #662
Ning
Registered User
 
Ning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 645
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
It maybe being built in France but most of the people working on it are from the US and the UK.

typical British answer

There are much more French and German workers on the A380 than UK workers. There are 2 A380 factories in France, only one for the wings in UK. The studies for the A380 were made in France and Germany, not in UK.

Moreover the Brits only own 20% of Airbus while EADS (French-German company) own 80% of Airbus.
__________________
I only visit this forum when drunk
Ning no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #663
Nephasto
Enlightened user
 
Nephasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 5,802
Likes (Received): 71

The 380 won't be configured fot 700 seats! Not in the beggining at least.

All the airlines that bought it said they will putt around 500 seats in the A380.
All of them, except one of emirates configaration, will have less than the designed 555 seats!

Emirates will have 3 configurations: 1 for loung haul with some 480+ seats, another for the regular not that long routes with 500+ seats, and a third one for some specific low yeld short routes (india and such) with more than 600 seats.
__________________
Long live rail freight!!
Nephasto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #664
andysimo123
wind-up merchant
 
andysimo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,960
Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning
typical British answer

There are much more French and German workers on the A380 than UK workers. There are 2 A380 factories in France, only one for the wings in UK. The studies for the A380 were made in France and Germany, not in UK.

Moreover the Brits only own 20% of Airbus while EADS (French-German company) own 80% of Airbus.
You dont have a clue what you are talking about. I watched the program on the building of the A380. The people who where putting it together where British American, French and Dutch. There werent any German workers in the Factories they went to. If you want the best. Where do get the best people to build the best planes? Well you go to the UK and USA.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #665
TipNTop
Chartreuse,Vodka,Orangina
 
TipNTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lyon
Posts: 578
Likes (Received): 287

^ You're so funny!...and just a little pathetic.

Sure there are some people from US and UK working on A380: it's a huge project.

But do you trust me if I tell you there are much people from France working on the boeing's planes? So I tell you that: when US want the best, they go to France!
TipNTop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #666
New York Yankee
member
 
New York Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 1,034
Likes (Received): 4

no, not from the us....
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #667
andysimo123
wind-up merchant
 
andysimo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,960
Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipNTop
^ You're so funny!...and just a little pathetic.

Sure there are some people from US and UK working on A380: it's a huge project.

But do you trust me if I tell you there are much people from France working on the boeing's planes? So I tell you that: when US want the best, they go to France!
Why Why Why!
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #668
New York Yankee
member
 
New York Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 1,034
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipNTop
^ You're so funny!...and just a little pathetic.

Sure there are some people from US and UK working on A380: it's a huge project.

But do you trust me if I tell you there are much people from France working on the boeing's planes? So I tell you that: when US want the best, they go to France!
that's bullshit, Boeing is always the best!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #669
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United States... Not For Long :-)
Posts: 579
Likes (Received): 4

Giant A380 Falling Short Of Big Billing
Weak Sales In Paris Raise More Concerns

By David Greising - Chief Business Correspondent
The Chicago Tribune
June 26, 2005


PARIS
-- The A380, the superjumbo jet from Airbus SAS, was billed as "The Queen of the Paris Air Show" by the public address announcer as it promenaded down the tarmac en route to its slow-moving flyover of the Le Bourget airfield.

But on the sales floor, the A380 was the prom queen that couldn't get a date.

The only taker for the A380, a double-decked giant that seats at least 550 passsengers, was start-up carrier Kingfisher Airlines of India. Kingfisher joined the stampede of Indian carriers ordering airplanes in Paris. Its flamboyant chief executive, Vijay Mallya, inked an order for five A380s.

And that was it.

The Kingfisher sale was the only A380 order by a passenger carrier since China Southern ordered five in April. It brought Airbus to 145 planes sold--far below the rosy expectations Airbus had encouraged when it launched the new airplane nearly four years ago.

The slight showing in Paris was the latest discouraging news for an airplane that represents Airbus' biggest gamble in its battle with Chicago-based Boeing Co. over the future of aviation.

Just before the air show, Airbus admitted what many aviation experts had long suspected: It will deliver its first A380 at least six months behind schedule, no sooner than April. The company can't get the A380 down to the weight promised to customers. And customization of the passenger cabin to meet airlines' demands has proven more costly and time consuming than expected.

The delay has angered Airbus customers. The chief executive of Qantas Airlines is threatening to extract severe financial penalties from Airbus. Other carriers say they expect compensation too.

A sign of success

Such troubles might prompt an air of contrition to most aerospace executives. But to John Leahy, the flashy sales executive who is Airbus' chief commercial officer, they're merely a somewhat difficult-to-interpret sign of success.

Customer unhappiness over the delays, even their threats of financial penalties, are merely an indication of the industry's need for the plane, Leahy said.

"It's comforting to hear them say how important this airplane is to them," Leahy said. "It's a game-changing airplane, and it's going to be difficult for them to make money without it."

Leahy paused for effect--or perhaps for creative thought--and added, "We're delighted at the reconfirmation of this airplane."

Salesmanship like that helped Airbus surprise industry observers with the strength of its performance at the air show: Orders for 280 airplanes, enough to overcome Boeing's early edge in the race to sell the most planes in 2005.

But the lack of orders for the A380 seemed to confirm a growing sense in the aerospace industry that the 380 isn't just a big, white airplane--it might be a big white elephant too.

"The A380 has become a tar baby for Airbus," said Aaron Gellman, a professor at Northwestern University's transportation center. "They can't get it off their hands, and they're going to lose money on every one they sell."

The A380 is the product of Airbus' $16 billion-plus program to build a superjumbo jet that can carry more than 800 passengers. The Airbus effort represents the polar opposite of Boeing's view of the future: the smaller, superefficient 787 Dreamliner.

But as the 787 began building orders last fall, Airbus switched gears and now offers a 787-style midrange jet, dubbed the A350. The A350 will carry slightly fewer passengers, and the two manufacturers debate which can be operated more inexpensively.

The A350 emerged as the surprise star of the air show, racking up 95 orders by five airlines. As a result, the A380 fell to the background, fueling intense debate over whether the plane can succeed.

While people at the air show marveled at seeing such a huge plane fly, they also picked at some of its apparent shortcomings. It was noted that a breakthrough material Airbus is using on the plane, called Glare, a lightweight sandwich of aluminum and fiberglass, is not being used on the A350. This indicates to some observers that Glare has fallen short of Airbus' initially high expectations. And the fact that Airbus flew the A380 with its landing gear down stirred suspicions that the aircraftmaker may be having a hard time perfecting the plane's landing gear. Airbus officials denied any problems, saying simply that the landing gear takes nearly a half-minute to retract--too much time to retract and open the gear during the plane's five-minute time in the air at the show.

Still, the carping seemed to reflect a mood of skepticism that has hung like a rain cloud over the A380 since Airbus started the program in August 2001.

Airbus at one point indicated it could sell as many as 2,000 of the superjumbo jets over 20 years. Lately, the figure has dropped to around 1,200. Airbus once had pegged breaking even on the plane at 250 copies, but that since has been increased to around 300 copies.

Boeing's market researchers see a much different future for the A380: roughly 300 of the planes in service in its first two decades.

Leahy doesn't see it that way.

"We've got four new orders the year before delivery, when you expect to have just about nothing," Leahy said.

Japanese and North American carriers for the first time are starting to seriously consider the plane, he added. United Airlines, which is not expected to buy any planes until it emerges from bankruptcy, has begun scheduling meetings with Airbus salespeople, Leahy said.

Leahy suggested that the best comparison for the A380 might be with Boeing's 747, the first jumbo jet and as big an innovation in 1969 as the A380 is today.

Boeing's sales force booked orders with 12 airlines for 28 of the 747s the year before Boeing delivered its first jumbo jet to launch customer Pan Am World Airways. Those sales brought the 747 to 175 orders before first delivery.

To reach the 747's sales pace in the year before delivery, Airbus would have to sell 30 planes before April. That would double the number sold since the beginning of the year, 10 of which were freighters sold to UPS.

The industry has changed substantially since the era when Pan Am and TWA ruled the international airways. Today, carriers in China, India and the Middle East are the main source of orders, and those carriers have shown a clear interest in the 787 and A350.

But to Scott Hamilton, managing director of the consulting firm Leeham Co., the 747 precedent is worth considering.

"Everything said about the A380 today was said about the 747," Hamilton said. "The 747 was a market mismatch, but the market grew into the airplane. We're in a world market that cannot support an 800-passenger airplane. But that doesn't mean the market can't grow into the A380."

Kingfisher boss confident

Vijay Mallya is one person who believes he might grow into the A380.

The leader of India's Kingfisher Airlines is that rare airline CEO with bling. Mallya sports a diamond stud in his ear, and his name is spelled in diamonds on a bracelet that would make a hip-hop singer proud.

And he left the Paris Air Show last week after ordering up the biggest bling of all: five A380s worth $1.5 billion at list prices.

Mallya's main business is UB Group, one of the world's largest liquormakers. He plans to use the A380s to build the brand name of Kingfisher, an airline named after UB's popular beer. Mallya envisions gambling tables and bars on the plane's upper decks.

"We want to bring the Kingfisher lifestyle to the airline," he said. "We sell [liquor] to the same people who can fly the airline."

Hamilton clearly wasn't impressed with the Kingfisher order. Mallya, flashy as he is, is unproven despite his family wealth and success in the liquor business.

What's more, Hamilton said that the A380 order from Mallya paled compared with Leahy's total sales in Paris of 280 aircraft worth $33 billion to 12 carriers.

"It's certainly not an order I would have cared to showcase," he said. "It doesn't have the cachet of, say, a British Airways."
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #670
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18192

Lufthansa wins go-ahead for Frankfurt A380 hangar

FRANKFURT, June 28 (Reuters) - Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa received the go-ahead to build a maintenance hangar to handle the Airbus A380 superjumbo at Fraport's Frankfurt airport on Tuesday.

The administrative court of Kassel, in Germany, rejected opposition to the project from local authorities and environmental groups, upholding the state of Hesse's approval of the planned building last November.

Construction of the hangar will be able to start as scheduled in the autumn. The court called for an additional report to be prepared on noise, but this was not expected to delay the project.

Lufthansa needs the hangar to be ready for when it takes delivery of the first of 15 A380s, due in the autumn of 2007. The carrier will be among the first customers to start operating the world's largest passenger airliner.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #671
Nephasto
Enlightened user
 
Nephasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 5,802
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
that's bullshit, Boeing is always the best!
Lol! This guy is so funny!

It's like having a 10 year old child in the forum!
__________________
Long live rail freight!!
Nephasto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #672
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United States... Not For Long :-)
Posts: 579
Likes (Received): 4

^ Don't worry he's changed his attitude... after I barked at the administrators for ruining the original A350 thread.

Expect to see a new, happier New York Yankee in the future.

Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #673
vincent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,380
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Giant A380 Falling Short Of Big Billing
Weak Sales In Paris Raise More Concerns

By David Greising - Chief Business Correspondent
The Chicago Tribune
June 26, 2005


PARIS
-- The A380, the superjumbo jet from Airbus SAS, was billed as "The Queen of the Paris Air Show" by the public address announcer as it promenaded down the tarmac en route to its slow-moving flyover of the Le Bourget airfield.

But on the sales floor, the A380 was the prom queen that couldn't get a date.

The only taker for the A380, a double-decked giant that seats at least 550 passsengers, was start-up carrier Kingfisher Airlines of India. Kingfisher joined the stampede of Indian carriers ordering airplanes in Paris. Its flamboyant chief executive, Vijay Mallya, inked an order for five A380s.

And that was it.

The Kingfisher sale was the only A380 order by a passenger carrier since China Southern ordered five in April. It brought Airbus to 145 planes sold--far below the rosy expectations Airbus had encouraged when it launched the new airplane nearly four years ago.

The slight showing in Paris was the latest discouraging news for an airplane that represents Airbus' biggest gamble in its battle with Chicago-based Boeing Co. over the future of aviation.

Just before the air show, Airbus admitted what many aviation experts had long suspected: It will deliver its first A380 at least six months behind schedule, no sooner than April. The company can't get the A380 down to the weight promised to customers. And customization of the passenger cabin to meet airlines' demands has proven more costly and time consuming than expected.

The delay has angered Airbus customers. The chief executive of Qantas Airlines is threatening to extract severe financial penalties from Airbus. Other carriers say they expect compensation too.

A sign of success

Such troubles might prompt an air of contrition to most aerospace executives. But to John Leahy, the flashy sales executive who is Airbus' chief commercial officer, they're merely a somewhat difficult-to-interpret sign of success.

Customer unhappiness over the delays, even their threats of financial penalties, are merely an indication of the industry's need for the plane, Leahy said.

"It's comforting to hear them say how important this airplane is to them," Leahy said. "It's a game-changing airplane, and it's going to be difficult for them to make money without it."

Leahy paused for effect--or perhaps for creative thought--and added, "We're delighted at the reconfirmation of this airplane."

Salesmanship like that helped Airbus surprise industry observers with the strength of its performance at the air show: Orders for 280 airplanes, enough to overcome Boeing's early edge in the race to sell the most planes in 2005.

But the lack of orders for the A380 seemed to confirm a growing sense in the aerospace industry that the 380 isn't just a big, white airplane--it might be a big white elephant too.

"The A380 has become a tar baby for Airbus," said Aaron Gellman, a professor at Northwestern University's transportation center. "They can't get it off their hands, and they're going to lose money on every one they sell."

The A380 is the product of Airbus' $16 billion-plus program to build a superjumbo jet that can carry more than 800 passengers. The Airbus effort represents the polar opposite of Boeing's view of the future: the smaller, superefficient 787 Dreamliner.

But as the 787 began building orders last fall, Airbus switched gears and now offers a 787-style midrange jet, dubbed the A350. The A350 will carry slightly fewer passengers, and the two manufacturers debate which can be operated more inexpensively.

The A350 emerged as the surprise star of the air show, racking up 95 orders by five airlines. As a result, the A380 fell to the background, fueling intense debate over whether the plane can succeed.

While people at the air show marveled at seeing such a huge plane fly, they also picked at some of its apparent shortcomings. It was noted that a breakthrough material Airbus is using on the plane, called Glare, a lightweight sandwich of aluminum and fiberglass, is not being used on the A350. This indicates to some observers that Glare has fallen short of Airbus' initially high expectations. And the fact that Airbus flew the A380 with its landing gear down stirred suspicions that the aircraftmaker may be having a hard time perfecting the plane's landing gear. Airbus officials denied any problems, saying simply that the landing gear takes nearly a half-minute to retract--too much time to retract and open the gear during the plane's five-minute time in the air at the show.

Still, the carping seemed to reflect a mood of skepticism that has hung like a rain cloud over the A380 since Airbus started the program in August 2001.

Airbus at one point indicated it could sell as many as 2,000 of the superjumbo jets over 20 years. Lately, the figure has dropped to around 1,200. Airbus once had pegged breaking even on the plane at 250 copies, but that since has been increased to around 300 copies.

Boeing's market researchers see a much different future for the A380: roughly 300 of the planes in service in its first two decades.

Leahy doesn't see it that way.

"We've got four new orders the year before delivery, when you expect to have just about nothing," Leahy said.

Japanese and North American carriers for the first time are starting to seriously consider the plane, he added. United Airlines, which is not expected to buy any planes until it emerges from bankruptcy, has begun scheduling meetings with Airbus salespeople, Leahy said.

Leahy suggested that the best comparison for the A380 might be with Boeing's 747, the first jumbo jet and as big an innovation in 1969 as the A380 is today.

Boeing's sales force booked orders with 12 airlines for 28 of the 747s the year before Boeing delivered its first jumbo jet to launch customer Pan Am World Airways. Those sales brought the 747 to 175 orders before first delivery.

To reach the 747's sales pace in the year before delivery, Airbus would have to sell 30 planes before April. That would double the number sold since the beginning of the year, 10 of which were freighters sold to UPS.

The industry has changed substantially since the era when Pan Am and TWA ruled the international airways. Today, carriers in China, India and the Middle East are the main source of orders, and those carriers have shown a clear interest in the 787 and A350.

But to Scott Hamilton, managing director of the consulting firm Leeham Co., the 747 precedent is worth considering.

"Everything said about the A380 today was said about the 747," Hamilton said. "The 747 was a market mismatch, but the market grew into the airplane. We're in a world market that cannot support an 800-passenger airplane. But that doesn't mean the market can't grow into the A380."

Kingfisher boss confident

Vijay Mallya is one person who believes he might grow into the A380.

The leader of India's Kingfisher Airlines is that rare airline CEO with bling. Mallya sports a diamond stud in his ear, and his name is spelled in diamonds on a bracelet that would make a hip-hop singer proud.

And he left the Paris Air Show last week after ordering up the biggest bling of all: five A380s worth $1.5 billion at list prices.

Mallya's main business is UB Group, one of the world's largest liquormakers. He plans to use the A380s to build the brand name of Kingfisher, an airline named after UB's popular beer. Mallya envisions gambling tables and bars on the plane's upper decks.

"We want to bring the Kingfisher lifestyle to the airline," he said. "We sell [liquor] to the same people who can fly the airline."

Hamilton clearly wasn't impressed with the Kingfisher order. Mallya, flashy as he is, is unproven despite his family wealth and success in the liquor business.

What's more, Hamilton said that the A380 order from Mallya paled compared with Leahy's total sales in Paris of 280 aircraft worth $33 billion to 12 carriers.

"It's certainly not an order I would have cared to showcase," he said. "It doesn't have the cachet of, say, a British Airways."
this is such a typical American-ego BS. Comparing market condition 35 years ago to today's post-911 era is just plain stupid. The author is stressing the point that 787 got more orders than A380. Hello?? 787 costs only half of A380 does. It is quite apparent to almost any airplane enthusist that smaller planes get significantly more orders than larger planes. This situation happens in both Boeing and Airbus.
As far as the expectation of sales go, i am sure Boeing significantly mis-calculated their projected orders because no one had expected the event of 911.
Not using glare for A350?? what's the problem with these American. It is very common for ANY engineering project in the world that whenever a material is not justified after cost-benefit analysis. It is a thoughtful decision rather than a "problem".
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #674
MCarr
Future after Past
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Albufeira - Algarve
Posts: 1,532
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Expect to see a new, happier New York Yankee in the future.
and Im sure flying the Airbus A350
__________________
www.marcocarrico.com - architecture in Algarve - MC-Domicilium

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #675
Tricky
Registered User
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berlin / Melbourne / Sydney
Posts: 1,133
Likes (Received): 150

News
Fraport: “Great Day for Aviation and the Frankfurt Region” – Green Light Given for Building A380 Maintenance Base at FRA
28.06.2005

41/2005

FRA/rap-th> "It's a great day for aviation in Germany and for the Frankfurt/Rhine-Main region." This was Fraport AG's comment following today's decision of the Hesse Administrative High Court (VGH) in Kassel, Germany, to allow construction of the planned A380 superjumbo maintenance base at the southern side of Frankfurt Airport (FRA). Fraport's executive board chairman Dr. Wilhelm Bender said, "This has cleared the way for a new generation of aircraft at Frankfurt Airport. This decision decisively strengthens the competitiveness and position of FRA in the future as a leading global aviation hub. It secures jobs and generates new employment. This is an extremely positive signal."

Lufthansa, Fraport's key customer, has ordered 15 double-decker A380s, the first of which are scheduled for delivery in 2007. By that time, the maintenance base for Airbus superjumbos at Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub must be completed and operational. Due to plans for the new Terminal 3, alternative locations for the maintenance base throughout the airport site are not available, including the existing U.S. Rhein-Main Air Base or other areas.

The new facility will provide for the stationing and servicing at FRA of what by 2015 will be the world's second-biggest A380 fleet. Construction of the new maintenance base and the associated relocation of "Okrifteler Strasse" road are scheduled to start at the beginning of November. Lufthansa recently filed the building application for this new maintenance facility. All parties concerned are confident that the building permit will be available on time in the fall.

If the Administrative Court in Kassel had decided against Fraport, Lufthansa would have been forced to station its A380 aircraft elsewhere, for example, at Munich Airport. As a result, the jobs associated with maintaining this aircraft would not have been created in Frankfurt.

"Immediately after the vegetation period – i.e., from September – we will now be able to start cutting trees and clearing the site for construction," said Prof. Manfred Schölch, Fraport AG's executive board vice chairman. He reiterated that Fraport had abstained from immediate enforcement of the zoning decision, thus tacitly accepting considerable difficulties for the project schedule.

Respect of the court and the desire to avoid emotional tensions for airport neighbors made this necessary, Schölch further explained. Now, it is hoped that the plaintiffs, citizens' action groups, and other organizations will also accept the court's decision and will not disturb the start of the project with any impediments.

Fraport had expected the orders to hear evidence – also pronounced in the proceedings involving the communities of Mörfelden-Walldorf, Raunheim, and Neu-Isenburg. "During the oral proceedings, the VGH court made it clear that there is still need for clarification regarding the aircraft-engine test runs, which in individual cases may be required after maintenance," Prof. Schölch explained. Depending on the results of the evidence hearing, it is conceivable that the court will decree noise abatement measures. However, this will not affect realization of the maintenance base. Even so, Schölch expects that the expert noise studies, which Fraport submitted for the zoning procedure, will be confirmed. According to these studies, unacceptable noise blight is not expected in the neighboring residential areas.

In this connection, Prof. Schölch further indicated that Fraport, in the procedure on Frankfurt Airport's capacity expansion, has carefully made space provisions to accommodate a noise abatement structure for engine test-runs. The site of the current taxiway to the A380 maintenance base has been earmarked for this purpose. The taxiway will be relocated westward.

In the proceedings involving BUND (Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland), the VGH court has not recognized some of the environmental offset measures under the nature protection law and has ordered the State of Hesse to supplement the zoning decision accordingly. Fraport AG does not expect that this will result in any difficulties for the A380 maintenance base project.

Fact Sheet: Frankfurt Airport's
Planned A380 Maintenance Base

FRA/rap-th> By 2007, a new maintenance base will be built at the south side of Frankfurt Airport (FRA) for Fraport AG's key customer Lufthansa. This new facility will accommodate Lufthansa's A380 superjumbos. Here is a summary of facts concerning this interesting and vital construction project :

> The planned maintenance base must be seen independently of FRA's planned Northwest Landing Runway. Therefore, Fraport initiated a separate zoning procedure to obtain approval for this facility (application submitted in January 2003).

> Amount of forested area to be cleared for the project: approximately 21 hectares, including about 13.5 hectares of "protection" forest.

> As an environmental offset, Fraport has already reforested some 23 hectares (thereof: 20 hectares at Hof Schönau and 3 hectares at Hohenau) in the Rüsselsheim and Trebur districts.

> In the opinion of the VGH court, the zoning authority has to issue new orders for further environmental offset measures under the nature protection law. This will not present any problems for realizing the project.

> Fraport has concluded a long-term contract with the Lufthansa group for utilization of the site for the maintenance base.

> Maintenance Hangar: The hangar (approximately 350 meters long, 140 meters wide, and 45 meters high) will be capable of accommodating up to four A380 aircraft simultaneously.

> Warehouse: 140 meters long, more than 62 meters wide, about 10 meters high.

> Site: No alternative site was available within the existing airport boundary.

> Utilization: The new maintenance facility will be used for routine maintenance of Lufthansa's A380 superjumbos, as well as B747 jumbos.

> Design: The new hangar to be built on the south side of FRA was designed by Gerkan, Marg & Partner Architects of Hamburg, Germany.
Tricky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #676
cladiv
----
 
cladiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 上海
Posts: 363
Likes (Received): 0

From www.sundaytimes.co.za

SAA 'in talks' with Airbus


Tuesday June 28, 2005 11:45 - (SA)

TOULOUSE - Europe's largest aircraft maker, Airbus, has confirmed that it was in talks with South African Airways (SAA) about the possible sale of the world's largest and most expensive airliner with a list price tag of about R2billion.

Airbus thinks it will be able to sell six or seven of its new A380s, which it revealed in December, to SAA in as many years.

In terms of infrastructure, Airports Company SA said recently it would spend R400m in Johannesburg and Cape Town to enlarge airport infrastructure to accommodate the aircraft.

An "information" session was under way, but official negotiations had not started, says Airbus spokesman in SA Linden Birns.

The new aircraft can accommodate 35% more passengers and offers 15% lower direct operating costs compared with the next biggest airliner in the world, the Boeing 747-400, says Airbus.

SAA is likely to consider acquisitions of the new aircraft despite its poor financial shape.

The airline recently decided to cancel orders for 15 of 42 other aircraft it was buying from Airbus.

SAA CEO Khaya Nqgula said recently that the airline was looking at buying the A380 to meet heavy demand on the London route.

He said the flag carrier's decision would be influenced by its financial health.

The A380 could solve SAA's lack of sufficient slots at London's Heathrow airport.

Airbus said it had not received a cancellation from SAA, but it was looking at alternative aircraft with SAA, which has already paid the deposit for all of the 42 aircraft.

This is widely understood to be about a quarter of the total cost, which is estimated at between USD1,5billion and USD3,5billion.

Airbus, which is aggressively marketing the A380 to the national carrier and other airlines, has warned that SAA will lose market share to competitors that operate the bigger aircraft such as Virgin Atlantic.

More than 50 of the aircraft, each of which can carry 555 passengers, are expected to visit SA every week by 2010.

The A380 will also enable SA to handle the influx of visitors for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

It is too late for SAA to buy the new aircraft in time for the event, but would be able to lease the aircraft.

Airbus has already received firm orders for 132 A380s from a number of airlines.

This will keep its factories occupied beyond 2010.

The new, large airliner - Boeing is expected to soon follow suit by developing its own large plane - marks a new era in the global aviation industry.

A380 programme manager Charles Champion said large airlines would have to incorporate large new aircraft if they were to remain big league players.
cladiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #677
cladiv
----
 
cladiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 上海
Posts: 363
Likes (Received): 0

Have a look at these pics
cladiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #678
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United States... Not For Long :-)
Posts: 579
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
this is such a typical American-ego BS. Comparing market condition 35 years ago to today's post-911 era is just plain stupid. The author is stressing the point that 787 got more orders than A380. Hello?? 787 costs only half of A380 does. It is quite apparent to almost any airplane enthusist that smaller planes get significantly more orders than larger planes. This situation happens in both Boeing and Airbus.
As far as the expectation of sales go, i am sure Boeing significantly mis-calculated their projected orders because no one had expected the event of 911.
Not using glare for A350?? what's the problem with these American. It is very common for ANY engineering project in the world that whenever a material is not justified after cost-benefit analysis. It is a thoughtful decision rather than a "problem".
^ Agreed. I umm... didn't post the article to be 'anti-Airbus' but rather I couldn't find any other "news" at the time to post. Sorry
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #679
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United States... Not For Long :-)
Posts: 579
Likes (Received): 4

Does anyone else think the "747 Advanced" would be a really bad move by Boeing? Airlines pretty much said no to a derivative against an all-new plane with the 787 and the old A350 concepts, so how could this be anything but a disaster by Boeing to spend even MORE money on a larger derivative aircraft?
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #680
andrewSQ347
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Venice
Posts: 60
Likes (Received): 0

I am not sure if you are aware but the Delay is caused by the fact that airbus got more orders than expected ...

& for the A380 lovers here are some goodies
http://www.flightinternational.com/A...px?ItemID=9139
http://www.flightinternational.com/A...px?ItemID=9140
http://www.flightinternational.com/home/default.aspx

have fun it's a long read so save it and take your time

Last edited by andrewSQ347; June 30th, 2005 at 10:50 PM.
andrewSQ347 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium