daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #7041
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

An A380-900 would be gorgeous. Finally get rid of the only reason I don't like the A380, its stubbiness.
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #7042
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2101

Airbus should have known to not let a German Finance people speak.

Streched A380-900, with NEO engines should be a blast.

hseugut liked this post
Shenkey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #7043
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Don´t worry my Slovakian friend. Herr Dr. Thomas Enders, the German CEO of the Airbus Group, has everything under control.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #7044
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

He is not Slovakian. Either way, I don't get why being German has to do with financial decisions.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #7045
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I think that the biggest problem (literally) that affected the A380 was the need to do a lot of very expensive airport upgrades just to handle the plane. Airports had to widen taxiways and build bi-level jet bridges just to accommodate the A380, for starters. I believe that Airbus needs to convince the likes of Cathay Pacific and a US-based airline like Delta to buy the A380neo in addition to the Middle Eastern carriers buying them.

Meanwhile, the Boeing 777-300ER continues to sell well, and I believe that besides the 777-8 and 777-9, Boeing may build a lower-weight "777-5"--essentially a 777-8 but with a lower MTOW so the range is more like 7,500 nautical miles--to capture the majority of the world's long-range airliner needs. It appears Boeing has hit the better "sweet spot" in terms of a true 747-400 replacement.

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #7046
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
He is not Slovakian. Either way, I don't get why being German has to do with financial decisions.

The problem is Shenkey herself. She is still devastated that Lufthansa doesn´t serve Bratislava - Munich anymore.

And back to the A380:

I think we can all agree on that the international air travel will increase over the next decades enormously as more and more people on our blue ball can afford air tickets.
At one point in time it won´t be possible to expand the mega airports anymore and the only solution will be to use bigger airplanes to handle the millions of passengers.

And that´s where the A380 kicks in! Therefore Airbus should develop the A380-900neo as soon as possible to be prepared for this situation in which size will be the most important sales argument.

What Is Love?

jam5, patel2897, EdnilsonQ, Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #7047
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2101

Is there to much truth as your jimmies are so rustled?
Shenkey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #7048
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenkey View Post
Airbus should have known to not let a German Finance people speak.

Streched A380-900, with NEO engines should be a blast.
The A380-900 NEO RIGHT NOW .... would be a such a waste of money. Airlines are having a hard time filling up planes and now arent buying them.

The neo would only add addition seats (that wont be filled) and wont be better on fuel because you stretched the current model.

Sorry airbus fans, Boeing read the market wayyyyy better then airbus did with the 787 and 777x.

The idea of the a380 / A380-900 NEO should good on paper but in reality, the world isnt ready for a plane of this size.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #7049
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4973

A380-900 is gonna be a disaster. We've been hearing this "when traffic grows" argument since 2000, that's 15 years. Still hasn't grown to even make the -800 a proper success. It's plain and simple that most airlines are happy without using larger planes. Traffic HAS grown, by a lot, but not enough airlines are interested in a larger plane.

NatFan9 liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #7050
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63053

It's interesting how John Leahy said at the investors meeting that the A380-900 made sense because air traffic is only going to grow and the capacity of the airspace and airports won't grow as fast. But at the same time dismissing the market of the largest twin, the Boeing 777-9 because the market doesn't demand a plane of such size.

I know that Airbus and Boeing both do everything to downplay their opponents products, but such blatant contradiction is still remarkable. Something that they don't need to do, there's nothing wrong with Airbus's product portfolio.

As the remark was made in relation to the possibilities of a stretch of the A350-1000 it only told investors that the current financial position of the company is not rosy enough to start all these new programs all at ones. The cost of the production ramp up of the A320neo and the A350 and the development costs of the A330neo are already high enough to prevent the profits growing in the next 2 years. With this artificial battle being created by Airbus and Boeing it does gives a message to investors that the companies have to do anything to capture all the market segments. And that has resulted in a paradox from an investors standpoint. If the company doesn't evolve it's catalog enough to capture the entire market they won't be satisfied = declining stock prices. But when the company does do everything to capture all markets, and thereby starting too many new projects all at once it will hurt the profits of company = declining stock prices.

The declining stock prices of not just Airbus but also Boeing after the completely failed Airbus investors meeting show that the investors might just want both companies to focus on their own profitability and not just on this competition between each other.

The A380 neo and the A380-900 if the market actually demands it. And the market will only be proven by solid orders by a larger number of airlines. The current market for the A380-800, based on multiple solid orders shows that this market is currently not there. A neo or -9 might change this, but is it worth the investment risk with the small market for the -8. I think it's good that Harald Wilhelm tells it like it is and that the termination of the A380 program could be an option if the outlook beyond 2018 doesn't change drastically for the better.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #7051
brizguy

Likes (Received): 161

If the A380neo has the fuel efficiency of the 777x like Leahy is saying then I could see a number of orders. It really depends on how fuel efficient they can make it. Even then with the A380neo chances are emirates would put down orders for at least 100 to replace their current fleet.
brizguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #7052
ConteurDeGrues

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizguy View Post
If the A380neo has the fuel efficiency of the 777x like Leahy is saying then I could see a number of orders. It really depends on how fuel efficient they can make it. Even then with the A380neo chances are emirates would put down orders for at least 100 to replace their current fleet.
The current A380 already has the same efficiency (per seat) as the 777X will have. The A380neo would be there to recover the advantage the current A380 has over current 777.
But all this doesn't solve airlines shyness when it comes to VLA...
ConteurDeGrues no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #7053
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It's interesting how John Leahy said at the investors meeting that the A380-900 made sense because air traffic is only going to grow and the capacity of the airspace and airports won't grow as fast. But at the same time dismissing the market of the largest twin, the Boeing 777-9 because the market doesn't demand a plane of such size.

I know that Airbus and Boeing both do everything to downplay their opponents products, but such blatant contradiction is still remarkable. Something that they don't need to do, there's nothing wrong with Airbus's product portfolio.

As the remark was made in relation to the possibilities of a stretch of the A350-1000 it only told investors that the current financial position of the company is not rosy enough to start all these new programs all at ones. The cost of the production ramp up of the A320neo and the A350 and the development costs of the A330neo are already high enough to prevent the profits growing in the next 2 years. With this artificial battle being created by Airbus and Boeing it does gives a message to investors that the companies have to do anything to capture all the market segments. And that has resulted in a paradox from an investors standpoint. If the company doesn't evolve it's catalog enough to capture the entire market they won't be satisfied = declining stock prices. But when the company does do everything to capture all markets, and thereby starting too many new projects all at once it will hurt the profits of company = declining stock prices.

The declining stock prices of not just Airbus but also Boeing after the completely failed Airbus investors meeting show that the investors might just want both companies to focus on their own profitability and not just on this competition between each other.

The A380 neo and the A380-900 if the market actually demands it. And the market will only be proven by solid orders by a larger number of airlines. The current market for the A380-800, based on multiple solid orders shows that this market is currently not there. A neo or -9 might change this, but is it worth the investment risk with the small market for the -8. I think it's good that Harald Wilhelm tells it like it is and that the termination of the A380 program could be an option if the outlook beyond 2018 doesn't change drastically for the better.
Well, the product portfolio is narrowbody + widebody. You must be in both categories because narrowbodies provide a healthy cashflow and widebodies provide the fat profits.

In widebodies, a single product failure can set you back 20 years. So you must at least be in two - 787 + 777 or 330 + 350 - to hedge the bets.

What remains is the VLAs and we all know where that's headed.
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #7054
ESPImperium

Likes (Received): 147

Personally, i think that Airbus should concentrate on a core of models to these specifications:

Short-Medium Haul: A320neo Family & A320 conventional only
Medium-Long Haul: A330-600neo
Long Haul Widebody: A350-900XWB & A350-1000XWB
High Capacity Heavy: A380-900neo

Thats 8 jets in its catalogue. Delete the present A318/A319/A321/A330 Family/A380-800.

Airbus i think have a little too much choice in my opinion, they need to condense and concentrate on as much commonality between different families as well as in own family as they can. The common cockpit is a great example, is there any other electrical items that can be shared between the A320s and the A380s? Hydraulic components? This reduces costs and also reduces the spare parts that a carrier needs to have to cover. I know that Aircraft are hugely complex mechanical birds, but i think there can be more commonality between aircraft as well. Or is that a naive view?
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #7055
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
Personally, i think that Airbus should concentrate on a core of models to these specifications:

Short-Medium Haul: A320neo Family & A320 conventional only
Medium-Long Haul: A330-600neo
Long Haul Widebody: A350-900XWB & A350-1000XWB
High Capacity Heavy: A380-900neo

Thats 8 jets in its catalogue. Delete the present A318/A319/A321/A330 Family/A380-800.

Airbus i think have a little too much choice in my opinion, they need to condense and concentrate on as much commonality between different families as well as in own family as they can. The common cockpit is a great example, is there any other electrical items that can be shared between the A320s and the A380s? Hydraulic components? This reduces costs and also reduces the spare parts that a carrier needs to have to cover. I know that Aircraft are hugely complex mechanical birds, but i think there can be more commonality between aircraft as well. Or is that a naive view?
Extremely naive. First of all, the A321 is one of airbus' most successful products so ceasing to offer it as you suggest would be a woefully bad decision.

Secondly, the A320 and A380 have two completely different hydraulic systems so even without thinking about the size difference, I doubt there are any interchangeable parts.
And lastly, in the highly regulated world of aviation, changing things just for the sake of it is not practical.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #7056
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Airbus' problem is that it actually was too ahead of its time with the A380. Inevitably the world will turn to such super jumbojets as the airports and runways become overly congested and there is virtually no room left to expand them -but (apparently) we are not there yet.

And when that time comes, Boeing will come out with its own superjumbo (another doubledecker in all likelihood), while Airbus will be too seared by its last foray (after cancelling the whole program) to try again.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #7057
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

its coming home delivery A380 Etihad A6-APA
A380 Etihad A6-APA delivery by XFW-Spotter, on Flickr

patel2897, klm.b777, EdnilsonQ, Zaz965 liked this post
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #7058
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Cant wait to see it in Abu Dhabi!
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #7059
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

A video from my flight from Singapore to Shanghai Pudong on the Airbus A380-800:

Flight: Singapore Airlines Flight SQ830
Departure from: Singapore Changi Airport, SIN, Terminal 3, Gate A10, Runway 02L
Arrival To: Shanghai Pudong International Airport, PVG, Terminal 2, Gate 68, Runway 34
Lounges used at SIN:
Krisflyer Gold Lounge, Terminal 3
Distance: 2,357 miles, 3,793 kilometers
Duration: 4 hours and 30 minutes
Travel Class: Economy Class on the Upper Deck
Plane: Airbus A380-800
Delivered to SQ: May 2009
Engines: Four Rolls-Royce RR Trent 970

Old December 18th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #7060
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Quote:
Etihad Airways receives first Airbus A380

Unmatched service and comfort on two decks

18 December 2014 Press Release

At a ceremony in Abu Dhabi, Etihad Airways, one of the world’s leading airlines, welcomed the first of its ten new Airbus A380 aircraft. Etihad Airways is the thirteenth airline to operate the A380, and the aircraft is the 150th A380 delivered by Airbus.

The delivery is set to boost capacity on several of Etihad’s most in-demand routes, taking the airline to new heights as it continues to redefine the flying experience. Setting new benchmarks in onboard product, service, hospitality and style, Etihad Airways has invested in enhancing the passenger experience through the acquisition of Airbus’ game changing A380.

The A380 offers airlines increased capacity, long-haul range, fuel efficiency and improved performance but also immense flexibility in cabin choices, as yet again demonstrated by Etihad Airways. The aircraft is a firm favorite for passengers as it brings an exceptional in-flight experience with a smoother flight, quieter cabin and the highest level of comfort available in the sky.

“Since its inception, Etihad Airways has experienced exponential growth and we’re pleased to have contributed to that success. I am convinced that our flagship, the A380, will provide an efficient solution to support Etihad’s continued expansion,” said Airbus President and CEO, Fabrice Brégier.

Etihad’s A380 is designed to carry 498 guests in four living spaces on the aircraft, including two VIP guests in The Residence by Etihad™, nine guests in the First Apartments, 70 guests in the Business Studio, and 417 guests in Economy SmartSeats. Equipped with the latest entertainment systems and the plush surroundings of Etihad Airways’ interior, passengers can expect an exceptionally comfortable journey.

Etihad Airways’ President and Chief Executive Officer, James Hogan, said: “The Etihad Airways A380 will offer a world class travel experience across all cabins. We are delighted to launch this first A380, with nine to follow, which will set a new benchmark for air travel, particularly with the introduction of the Residence by Etihad™, the only three room cabin in the sky.”

Etihad’s first A380 will make its debut on the popular London Heathrow route, from Abu Dhabi International Airport, in December. By the end of 2015, Etihad Airways will have five A380s in operation, with plans to introduce the aircraft on the airline’s Sydney and New York JFK routes.

What Is Love?

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways