daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #7141
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Where is the A380 flying?

I find it interesting that there is A380 service to Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, among other U.S. cities, but not Chicago. I understand Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, and New York, but I don't understand Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta without Chicago.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamili...y/a380-routes/
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:59 AM   #7142
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

I hear it's because Chicago doesn't have the terminal and gate capacity to handle regular A380 services, only on emergencies.
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:24 AM   #7143
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
I hear it's because Chicago doesn't have the terminal and gate capacity to handle regular A380 services, only on emergencies.
Other U.S. airports were able to make the appropriate adjustments to berth the A380. I wonder what the story is with Chicago.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:16 AM   #7144
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11251

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I find it interesting that there is A380 service to Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta, among other U.S. cities, but not Chicago. I understand Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, and New York, but I don't understand Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta without Chicago.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamili...y/a380-routes/

Maybe it's because the current gate layout at T5 (the main international terminal) needs to be adjusted to accommodate a Tri-door gate and let an A380 in. I know it already has an abundance of runways and large terminals to easily snug in an A380, but I think funding isn't there yet to rebuild a gate to allow the mega aircraft in.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:59 PM   #7145
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Maybe it's because the current gate layout at T5 (the main international terminal) needs to be adjusted to accommodate a Tri-door gate and let an A380 in. I know it already has an abundance of runways and large terminals to easily snug in an A380, but I think funding isn't there yet to rebuild a gate to allow the mega aircraft in.
Chicago now has the runway system and taxi way system to handle the A380. Under the Chicago modernization program they planned for the A380. The old runway/taxiway system was not safe and they would have to stop a lot of traffic just to get the A380 in without clipping any wings. They are either planning or have started work on making terminal five A380 capable.

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM   #7146
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Thanks for this! I think here in Miami we are only two A380 capable thus far (Lufthansa and Air France), but I can't be sure.

My photo threads:

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM   #7147
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

The A380 superjumbo, the world's first twin-deck, twin-aisle airliner.

Zaz965 liked this post
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:20 PM   #7148
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9402

Big news!

Emirates Would Buy 100 A380neos, Agrees To Amadeo Sale-Leaseback Deals

Emirates Airline would buy 100 Airbus A380neos if Airbus decided to launch the aircraft, according to airline President Tim Clark.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...easeback-deals

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM   #7149
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62957

It's no news, Tim Clark has said often enough last year that he will buy a X (large) number of A380s when Airbus launches a neo. It will be far more interesting to see if any other airlines will be as vocally interested in the A380neo as Emirates.

And the only real big news will be when Airbus actually launches the A380neo.

The influence of Emirates on the A380 program could mean that they will have to launch sooner then later, even when it's financially not the best decision. The 1st problem after launching the neo will be filling the open ceo delivery slots before the 1st A380neo will be delivered.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:36 PM   #7150
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post

Emirates Airline would buy 100 Airbus A380neos if Airbus decided to launch the aircraft, according to airline President Tim Clark.

Holy Crap. Sounds like what they did with the 777X program. Airbus needs to get other airlines on board before they waste the money on just Emirates. Cant wait for the Dubai airshow this year to hear any possible developments.

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #7151
Alex67

Likes (Received): 258

Qatar Airways - by László Berta

http://aviationspotters.net/user_pho...er_name=BERTAL

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Alex67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:32 AM   #7152
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Thanks for this! I think here in Miami we are only two A380 capable thus far (Lufthansa and Air France), but I can't be sure.
When is British Airways planning on flying its A380s to Miami?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:15 AM   #7153
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post

Thats not enough to justify the cost of building an a380 neo ....
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:51 AM   #7154
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

At this rate maybe Dubai should simply buy a license to build its own A380s.

Nmp31, brainsound liked this post
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:05 AM   #7155
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
Thats not enough to justify the cost of building an a380 neo ....
100 x A380NEO's doesn't justify building it?!?
Old January 23rd, 2015, 06:31 AM   #7156
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
The Research and development to build the NEO itself ...... wont come cheap.

- new Engines
- avionics
- carbon fiber body

and so on. That needs to be straightened out and put together.

100 380 NEOs is not enough ..... you dont build a new plane just for 100 or so sales. Its not worth it.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:28 AM   #7157
EK413

Quote:
The Research and development to build the NEO itself ...... wont come cheap. - new Engines - avionics - carbon fiber body and so on. That needs to be straightened out and put together. 100 380 NEOs is not enough ..... you dont build a new plane just for 100 or so sales. Its not worth it.
The current A380 wings have been designed with a -900 stretched version in mind. The power plants are constantly being improved from a performance & reliability perspective. As for the NEO it would simply be an improved variant with a carrier like EK keen to order the type Airbus would be foolish to give it a miss.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:32 AM   #7158
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Airbus hasn't released how much it would cost to develop a neo version of the A380 but based on the $3Bn development cost of the A330neo, I assume it would be similar to that.

Let's try to do the math. One a380, at list price, costs more than $400 million. So, 100 will cost more than $40Bn, at list price. Even with the usual huge discount of 50%, the order is still worth more than $20Bn.

So, more than $20Bn worth of order for $3Bn of development cost, doesn't that sound good? I believe Airbus would be able to pay for the development cost with an order of this size from Emirates. But if Airbus really wanna make money, they need to get orders from other airlines.

Actually, I read about this on some article some time ago. Wanted to attach a link to the article but didn't manage to find it.

Quote:
- new Engines
- avionics
- carbon fiber body
I believe what Airbus would do is very similar to what they did with the A330neo:
- new engines
- new wings, winglets
- avionics

Making the body in carbon fiber would cost too much. Even Boeing isn't doing it with the 777X (only the wings will be made of carbon fiber).
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM   #7159
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62957

1 order for 100 A380neo's a very big step in the direction of launching the neo, but 1 order is not enough to actually do it. Airbus needs to secure more orders to be able to reach the production rates needed to make a profit. For the current A380 it took 10 years and 150 deliveries before the 1st year that the costs of building one is lower then the average price the airlines are paying for it. And to maintain this Airbus needs to maintain a steady production rate. Right now they are at a rate that is financialy in the black (starting this year), but with the delivery gap and the investments needed it will turn again into the red for another period. If Airbus secures enough customers then it can produce the neo at the same rate as they do now it will be back in the black sooner then when they just have the Emirates neo's to delivered.

fieldsofdreams, Qtya liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:46 AM   #7160
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
Airbus hasn't released how much it would cost to develop a neo version of the A380 but based on the $3Bn development cost of the A330neo, I assume it would be similar to that. Let's try to do the math. One a380, at list price, costs more than $400 million. So, 100 will cost more than $40Bn, at list price. Even with the usual huge discount of 50%, the order is still worth more than $20Bn. So, more than $20Bn worth of order for $3Bn of development cost, doesn't that sound good? I believe Airbus would be able to pay for the development cost with an order of this size from Emirates. But if Airbus really wanna make money, they need to get orders from other airlines. Actually, I read about this on some article some time ago. Wanted to attach a link to the article but didn't manage to find it. I believe what Airbus would do is very similar to what they did with the A330neo: - new engines - new wings, winglets - avionics Making the body in carbon fiber would cost too much. Even Boeing isn't doing it with the 777X (only the wings will be made of carbon fiber).
Don't need to tell me, try telling that to the original Mr Buffalo who's living in a world of his own.

Le Male liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways