daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM   #7481
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Any one who fly's EK on a regular basis will of gotten use to full SJ's.

Zaz965 liked this post
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2015, 06:26 AM   #7482
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_filipino View Post
Boeing fanboy spotted in this thread
I think I have made a few fair points ...... if you were right. Airbus would be selling 380s left and right. But the reality is, airlines havent bought them in what 2 years?
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM   #7483
chuboy

Likes (Received): 89

The only new aircraft selling worse than the A380 is the B748

Not a fanboy one way or the other, just some perspective.

rickycarter93, Zaz965 liked this post
chuboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:40 PM   #7484
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I've been on a fully packed A380 before.
Me too! Watch all the videos of the A380 on yt, they all show fully booked A380's!

Deadeye Reloaded, Zaz965 liked this post
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 01:52 PM   #7485
Squirty

Likes (Received): 78

The aircraft itself is very good but can be made better.
The problem is there are too many airlines that simply aren't good enough at what they do to make it work for them.

Zaz965 liked this post
Squirty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 04:25 PM   #7486
Bjarki

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
I really do think airbus is clueless ...... Stretching the plane and adding seats isnt necessary. If Airbus could put the A380 on a diet and lose some weight.

More weight loss = fuel savings
New Engine Options = Fuel savings
Lighter materials = fuel savings

The fuel savings would less the cost of what it takes to run the plane and create more revenue per flight. But hey .... stretch the plane out and add more empty seats per flights!
The stretch version would accomplish fuel savings as well. More seats with minimal additional structural weight. If my understanding is right, the stretched 900-variant should really be considered the base model while the 800-variant is really a shrunk version that carries a lot of structural weight that is actually designed for a bigger frame. An A380-900 that also has new more efficient engines would surely be the most efficient aircraft ever.

Deadeye Reloaded, Zaz965 liked this post
Bjarki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 06:58 PM   #7487
dirdam

Likes (Received): 5692

That's true as long as you can fill the aircraft. If it is difficult to fill an A380-800, imagine how difficult it is to fill an A380-900.

Zaz965 liked this post
dirdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #7488
chuboy

Fair point, although if the seat-mile costs are lower then you can fill the aircraft more easily. You can maintain the same yield while charging a lower price to attract more passengers.

This assumes the city pair is limited by supply. If there aren't at least 500-600 per day willing to travel between the two airports (assuming no competition from other airlines) then the A389 is not an effective aircraft.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 24th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #7489
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdam View Post
That's true as long as you can fill the aircraft. If it is difficult to fill an A380-800, imagine how difficult it is to fill an A380-900.
I can't agree more with that. But since Emirates will still be the major operator of the updated a380 (I believe at least 70% of the orders Airbus will get will be from Emirates) and a stretched version is what Emirates really wants, so why not do it?

The second most likely carrier to place an order is SQ. I haven't heard much of Singapore Airlines complaining about filling up the a380 so I assume they might be interested in a moderate stretch. If Airbus can make sure the aircraft can do SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR non-stop profitably, I believe SQ would be more than interested. And if SQ does place an order, it's gonna be at least for 20 frames.

I believe Etihad and Qatar will also place a modest order whether it is stretched or not.

One airline Airbus really needs to woo harder is Cathay Pacific, CX really has the network to support a quite large a380 fleet (5 daily LHR flights, multiple daily LAX, JFK, SFO as well as Australia). And with the constraints they are facing (slot-restriction at airports like LHR and limited number of flights to Australia), even the 777-9 is not big enough to support growth over time. The a380 is the only solution. A streched version means also better cargo capacity which might interest CX.

Whether it is stretched or not, what is sure is that US and European carriers won't be interested in it, which means that the stretch won't change much the number of orders Airbus will get.

Zaz965 liked this post
Le Male está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #7490
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
I can't agree more with that. But since Emirates will still be the major operator of the updated a380 (I believe at least 70% of the orders Airbus will get will be from Emirates) and a stretched version is what Emirates really wants, so why not do it?

The second most likely carrier to place an order is SQ. I haven't heard much of Singapore Airlines complaining about filling up the a380 so I assume they might be interested in a moderate stretch. If Airbus can make sure the aircraft can do SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR non-stop profitably, I believe SQ would be more than interested. And if SQ does place an order, it's gonna be at least for 20 frames.

I believe Etihad and Qatar will also place a modest order whether it is stretched or not.

One airline Airbus really needs to woo harder is Cathay Pacific, CX really has the network to support a quite large a380 fleet (5 daily LHR flights, multiple daily LAX, JFK, SFO as well as Australia). And with the constraints they are facing (slot-restriction at airports like LHR and limited number of flights to Australia), even the 777-9 is not big enough to support growth over time. The a380 is the only solution. A streched version means also better cargo capacity which might interest CX.

Whether it is stretched or not, what is sure is that US and European carriers won't be interested in it, which means that the stretch won't change much the number of orders Airbus will get.
So how many can a 11 abreast in lower cabin and 9 abreast in upper cabin A380-900 seat. Assuming that business class is in lower deck with 8 abreast and seat pitch for economy is at 31 inches and 17 inch wide seats with no premium economy. Some Asian airlines may be interested in this high density version.

Zaz965 liked this post
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #7491
anonymous_filipino

Likes (Received): 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post

I remember reading a few years ago that Cathay Pacific is actually interested in a stretched version of the A380. Maybe the stretched version would make some airlines becoming interested with the A380.

Zaz965 liked this post
anonymous_filipino está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #7492
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

welocme in DXB or XFW?
A380 flightline by XFW-Spotter, auf Flickr

nossiano, patel2897, xJamaax, Munwon, GEwinnen and 2 others liked this post
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #7494
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52207

Emirates Airbus 380-861 A6-EDG by Nishant Rao, on Flickr

Emirates | Airbus A380-800 | A6-EEB | "Rugby World Cup England 2015" | DXB by Nabeel A. Hashmi, on Flickr

Munwon, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #7495
ConteurDeGrues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
A fully packed A380 ...... how often does that happen? Rumor has it that the A380 just to break even for the flight has to be atleast 80% full.
Where this numbers come from?
1/A380 is profitable far below 80% load factor.
2/A380 average load factor is above other planes on the same routes.

Zaz965 liked this post
ConteurDeGrues no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #7496
chuboy

An A380 flight with 0.2% load factor (one seat filled) can be profitable if the passenger paid $1M for their ticket...

Load factor 100% can lose money for the airline if the tickets are sold for $100 each.

Profitable simply depends how many passengers want to travel and how much they are willing to pay, nothing to do with the number of seats filled.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #7497
N830MH

Likes (Received): 79

Don't you know about A380-800neo? Is that capabilities? What is the range? Is that 9,000nm?

Zaz965 liked this post
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #7498
Elktest

A380 Flightline by XFW-Spotter, auf Flickr

patel2897, Munwon, Zaz965 liked this post
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #7499
savoyard74

Likes (Received): 528

Emirates the first user of A380

Zaz965 liked this post
savoyard74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #7500
Elktest

Sinapore was the frist Airlines with the A380

P05, patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways