daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #7521
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokto14 View Post
Which are their other routes? I only know they fly their A380s to Heathrow.
Paris and Hong Kong
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #7522
higannn
the perfect guy

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
Paris and Hong Kong
Frankfurt too. A lot of their passengers on these routes originate on Australia/NZ, travelling on the Kangaroo Route. But since the two major incidents last year, their passenger numbers starts to decline sharply.
higannn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #7523
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62818

And the declining passenger numbers also have a knock on effect on the prices. In other words, the seats that are taken bring in less money then they used to. They have to discount the tickets to fill as many seats as possible.

btw, this is not something specific to Malaysian. You always have to take this into account with every airline. A full plane doesn't always mean a full profit.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #7524
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 51942

9V-SKI by Victor Pody, on Flickr

9V-SKI by Victor Pody, on Flickr

Emirates | Airbus A380-800 | A6-EDK | DXB by Nabeel A. Hashmi, on Flickr

patel2897, Rokto14, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #7525
Alex67

Likes (Received): 258

3rd A380 in MAD - by Norber

http://aviationspotters.net/user_pho...er_name=norber

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
Alex67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #7526
racso380

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex67 View Post

In Madrid??? Which ones are the other 2??? I know Emirates is flying there from the A380 from 1st August

Zaz965 liked this post
racso380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #7527
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62818

Lufthansa been there twice before, 1st when did introduction flights within Europe in 2010. A year later one landed at Madrid because of a medical emergency.

This Malaysian A380 was hired by Real Madrid to fly them to Asia for their Asian tour this summer.

I actually find it remarkable that Airbus never flew 1 of their prototypes to Madrid for a promotion tour or something.

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #7528
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

SQ A380 at SIN/WSSS

Zaz965 liked this post
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #7529
koresh

Likes (Received): 1365

Emirates A6-EDP Airbus A380-800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFU2gqZyx2Q

koresh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #7530
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Lufthansa been there twice before, 1st when did introduction flights within Europe in 2010. A year later one landed at Madrid because of a medical emergency.

This Malaysian A380 was hired by Real Madrid to fly them to Asia for their Asian tour this summer.

I actually find it remarkable that Airbus never flew 1 of their prototypes to Madrid for a promotion tour or something.
Madrid did not have the proper equipment to handle A380s at the time of when Airbus was doing promotion tours. BA was going to use MAD as a training airport when they were gettting their first A380 but due to the lack of proper equipment they chose FRA as the destination airport. Its nice that Emirates will be the first airline to fly the A380 airport on commercial flights.

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #7531
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18137

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/623/6232415.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

patel2897, Rokto14, Zaz965 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #7532
British Republic

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConteurDeGrues View Post
No, they are trying to sell (or is it to wet lease to other company?) 3 of their 6 A380 if I remember correctly. They have no issue filling the KUL-LHR and LHR-KUL flights and I think they plan to keep 3 for this route.
The problem is with their other routes which are not large enough to justify an A380.
British Airways has recently resumed flights to KUL using Boeing 777-200ER aircraft flying once daily. Both they and MH are members of Oneworld. Thus considering that MH is looking like they are pulling out of Mainland Europe perhaps they should consider pulling out of London as well and have BA compensate with 1-2 Daily flights using either 777-300ERs, 747-400s or even A380-800s?

Zaz965 liked this post
British Republic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #7533
British Republic

Quote:
The second most likely carrier to place an order is SQ. I haven't heard much of Singapore Airlines complaining about filling up the a380 so I assume they might be interested in a moderate stretch. If Airbus can make sure the aircraft can do SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR non-stop profitably, I believe SQ would be more than interested. And if SQ does place an order, it's gonna be at least for 20 frames.
On the possibility of a stretched A380neo being deployed on a non-stop SIN-LAX/EWR route. Do you feel that there is a business case for a daily non-stop flight with around 200 business/first class seats between SE Asia and North America?*

*For it to have a chance at working I assume you need to get Thai, United Airlines and Air Canada involved as well.

Quote:
One airline Airbus really needs to woo harder is Cathay Pacific, CX really has the network to support a quite large a380 fleet (5 daily LHR flights, multiple daily LAX, JFK, SFO as well as Australia). And with the constraints they are facing (slot-restriction at airports like LHR and limited number of flights to Australia), even the 777-9 is not big enough to support growth over time. The a380 is the only solution. A streched version means also better cargo capacity which might interest CX.
CX has expressed interest in ordering an extended A380, they did not order the 800 version because of its low cargo capacity compared to 2 X 777-300ERs. Considering the capacity issues at even their home base of Hong Kong, I do agree they need to have such a plane if not now then in the long-run.

Quote:
Whether it is stretched or not, what is sure is that US and European carriers won't be interested in it, which means that the stretch won't change much the number of orders Airbus will get.
British Airways might be if airport expansion at Heathrow continues to be put off the table.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 15th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #7534
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

No BA's plan is frequency over capacity. That is why they did not order a huge amount of A380s. Business travelers want options of frequencies instead of waiting for two flights a day on certain airlines and run the chance of missing their flights because of traffic or a meeting went late.

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #7535
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 51942

Emirates A6-EEP 14-7-2015 by Pan Master Flash (Enda Burke), on Flickr

Emitrates A6-EEP 14-7-2015 by Pan Master Flash (Enda Burke), on Flickr

Etihad Airways Airbus 380-861 A6-APC by Nishant Rao, on Flickr

Rokto14, WingTips, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #7536
British Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
No BA's plan is frequency over capacity. That is why they did not order a huge amount of A380s. Business travelers want options of frequencies instead of waiting for two flights a day on certain airlines and run the chance of missing their flights because of traffic or a meeting went late.
That might want that (and so do business travelers) but the problem is that Heathrow slot capacity is very limited, they operate half of all flights out of a 2 runway airport when the likes of Lufthansa have 70% of the slots out of a 4 runway airport and several other hubs they dominate (BA only have 20% of the slots at Gatwick and a leading position in Madrid). So they have in real terms less slots to play with than their rivals on Mainland Europe.

If Heathrow gets a 3rd Runway (it needs it right now considering levels of demand) or the British Government bribes Star and Skyteam Carriers to move their London Operations out of Heathrow then this issue might be addressed but until the BA's frequency options are limited.

Likewise the only Intercontinental Destination that needs high frequency is NYC, the rest don't need more than 3 flights a day.

Langur, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #7537
dirdam

Likes (Received): 5691

Some pics of the A380 of Malaysia Airlines in Madrid-Barajas airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post

sc4, Rokto14, Zaz965 liked this post
dirdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #7538
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

Emirates might start an A380 service between DXB/Dubai and DOH/Doha.

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين

Zaz965 liked this post
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #7539
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayyan View Post
Emirates might start an A380 service between DXB/Dubai and DOH/Doha.
It's a 1 off DXB-DOH A380 service

Zaz965 liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #7540
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Republic View Post
On the possibility of a stretched A380neo being deployed on a non-stop SIN-LAX/EWR route. Do you feel that there is a business case for a daily non-stop flight with around 200 business/first class seats between SE Asia and North America?*
I'm not sure whether you mean 200 premium seats for the overall SE Asia and North America (all routes combined) or 200 premium seats each for each major route (such as SIN-NYC, SIN-LAX...). If the former, then I would say there is a way more demand for premium seats than that. If the latter, I believe you assume that the aircraft will be configured with premium seats only. However, SQ has already mentioned it wants a plane than can to fly those routes non-stop with a mix of cabins (unlike with the a340-500). And I think it's not so challenging for Airbus to meet those requirements with the next-generation a380.

Moreover, SQ's 4-class A380 (with all-business class upper cabin) currently is only configured with 379 seats justifying my argument that a larger a380 should not be a problem at all for SQ. If I'm not wrong, all US 380 flights are using this configuration meaning a high demand for premium seats for the SE Asia - North America market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Republic View Post
*For it to have a chance at working I assume you need to get Thai, United Airlines and Air Canada involved as well.
For now, I don't see any of those carriers you mentioned interested in the a380, whether Airbus stretches it or not. If Airbus launches the a380neo, I don't think they will expect an order from any of those carriers, they will mainly(or solely) rely on the ME3 and the Asian 'leaders' (SQ, CX and maybe some others).

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Le Male; July 15th, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways