daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #7541
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Besides Cathay Pacific, do you think the main Chinese and Taiwanese airliners (China Southern, Air China, China Eastern, China Air, EVA Air) would be interested in a stretched A380?

Zaz965 liked this post
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #7542
Alrayyan
كعبه المضيوم

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
It's a 1 off DXB-DOH A380 service
Which acts as a trial for a possible future A380 route

فوقك سماوات العظيم، وتحتك رفات المخلصين
اكفخ بنبض ارواحنا، يدعم على مر السنين

Zaz965 liked this post
Alrayyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #7543
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
Besides Cathay Pacific, do you think the main Chinese and Taiwanese airliners (China Southern, Air China, China Eastern, China Air, EVA Air) would be interested in a stretched A380?
China Southern has the A380 and there have been articles that it has not performed as expected. So I don't expect the stretched version to go well when structural / regulatory issues are still unresolved.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-deter-387390/

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...allenges-83737

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ng-talks-stall

patel2897, Rokto14, Zaz965 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #7544
MX-BNE
Keep Walking

Likes (Received): 651

A new airport welcomes the A380: MEX.

"On 16 July 2015, Frédéric Gagey, Chairman and CEO of Air France, and Gilberto López Meyer, General Director of Mexico’s Civil Aviation Authority, signed a partnership agreement formalising the arrival of the A380 to Mexico. From January 2016, Air France will offer three flights a week with its super-jumbo jet between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Mexico. From the end of March 2016, the aircraft will fly between the two cities daily".

Here's the proposed schedule:
AF 438: leaves Paris-Charles de Gaulle at 1:30 p.m.; arrives in Mexico at 6:40 p.m.;
AF 439: leaves Mexico at 9:10 p.m., arrives at Paris-Charles de Gaulle at 2:25 p.m.

Source: http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...g-to-mexico-1/

Congratulations to MEX and AF!

Old July 17th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #7545
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

A380 Emirates A6-EOL by XFW-Spotter, auf Flickr

patel2897, klm.b777, Equario liked this post
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #7546
Alex67

Likes (Received): 258

Singapore Airliners - decorative painting - by Tan Eng Keong C.

http://aviationspotters.net/user_pho...+Tan+Eng+Keong

patel2897, Rokto14, Zaz965 liked this post
Alex67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #7547
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX-BNE View Post
A new airport welcomes the A380: MEX.

"On 16 July 2015, Frédéric Gagey, Chairman and CEO of Air France, and Gilberto López Meyer, General Director of Mexico’s Civil Aviation Authority, signed a partnership agreement formalising the arrival of the A380 to Mexico. From January 2016, Air France will offer three flights a week with its super-jumbo jet between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Mexico. From the end of March 2016, the aircraft will fly between the two cities daily".

Here's the proposed schedule:
AF 438: leaves Paris-Charles de Gaulle at 1:30 p.m.; arrives in Mexico at 6:40 p.m.;
AF 439: leaves Mexico at 9:10 p.m., arrives at Paris-Charles de Gaulle at 2:25 p.m.

Source: http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...g-to-mexico-1/

Congratulations to MEX and AF!

What A380 route is Air France canceling to make this happen? Or are they taking delivery of another A380?

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #7548
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 690

Airbus commits to new A380

The Sunday Times reports:

Quote:
THE boss of Airbus has ended months of speculation by confirming that the plane maker will build a new version of its superjumbo, the A380.

Fabrice Brégier told The Sunday Times that the A380neo, which will have new engines, could be ready for sale in five years.
Bloomberg expands (and is not behind a paywall):

Quote:
the planemaker plans to offer an improved version of its A380 for service by 2025 although no decision has been made on whether to offer new engines. [..] stretching the A380 into an even-longer superjumbo is among possible options
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #7549
jam5

Meaning that Airbus apparently sees enough new airliners willing to buy the new and improved version of the A380 (that didn't before) to make this investment worthwhile.

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 20th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #7550
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52207

Thai Airways A380 by Oliver Louis, on Flickr

Rokto14, Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #7551
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
The Sunday Times reports:

Bloomberg expands (and is not behind a paywall):

Wow, this is great news! Personally, I think it's a terrible financial decision for Airbus, but at least EK will happy.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Zaz965 liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #7552
British Republic

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Male View Post
I'm not sure whether you mean 200 premium seats for the overall SE Asia and North America (all routes combined) or 200 premium seats each for each major route (such as SIN-NYC, SIN-LAX...). If the former, then I would say there is a way more demand for premium seats than that. If the latter, I believe you assume that the aircraft will be configured with premium seats only. However, SQ has already mentioned it wants a plane than can to fly those routes non-stop with a mix of cabins (unlike with the a340-500). And I think it's not so challenging for Airbus to meet those requirements with the next-generation a380.
I was thinking in terms of Premium Seat Numbers for those wanting to fly from SEA to North America altogether. Considering that they would be more likely to pay for the convenience of reducing the number of connections they need to make.

Likewise I suggested Premium only configuration because of the length of such non-stop flights. Remember such flights would last 18 hours long and after traveling 12-13 hours from London to Hong Kong in Y I don't think there are many people that would be willing to buy Y tickets for a Non-Stop flight of this length. Either because it is too uncomfortable or there are cheaper options out there in this market.

So I do agree that Airbus can deliver SQ a A380 which can do the route non-stop, the problem is if there is going to be a mix of seats, then it should be First/Business/Premium Economy.

Quote:
Moreover, SQ's 4-class A380 (with all-business class upper cabin) currently is only configured with 379 seats justifying my argument that a larger a380 should not be a problem at all for SQ.
True, however that still means there are 245 Y Seats in the plane. If you convert the Y sections into Premium Economy then perhaps it might work. Ultimately my issues is not if they can sell out a bigger A380 on this route, it is rather can they do it when it comes to Y

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, all US 380 flights are using this configuration meaning a high demand for premium seats for the SE Asia - North America market.
That does seem to be the case and I agree there is strong premium demand for these Singapore-USA flights. However do you think it applies to Y demand as well on these flights, if so then perhaps you are correct on this matter...

Quote:
For now, I don't see any of those carriers you mentioned interested in the a380, whether Airbus stretches it or not. If Airbus launches the a380neo, I don't think they will expect an order from any of those carriers, they will mainly(or solely) rely on the ME3 and the Asian 'leaders' (SQ, CX and maybe some others).
I am not talking about United Airlines* or Air Canada getting A380s (Thai already has some as you know), rather that they codeshare on these SQ Singapore-USA (Non-Stop) flights when it comes to passengers who want to travel from North America to South East Asia. Likewise I would agree that the A380neo will be ordered mainly by ME3 Carriers plus SQ and CX, although BA, AF and LH might also order some at least to replace the A380s they have in the long run.

*Personally I can only see American Carriers flying the plane if there is further consolidation within the sector such as United Airlines merging with American Airlines (which would not be a bad merger idea if one the DOJ is sadly unwilling to do). Then flights can be consolidated without reducing overall frequency and this will mean that some A380s might be needed.

Zaz965 liked this post
British Republic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #7553
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63053

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Wow, this is great news! Personally, I think it's a terrible financial decision for Airbus, but at least EK will happy.
It depends if Emirates are happy, it will come too late for them if the EIS will be closer to 2025 then to 2020.

And from 2025 it will need the new engines to still compete with the by then re-engined 787s and A350s.

We still have to wait and see what will happen. The first date is the Dubai Airshow, which might not turn out to be as spectacular as some people would like it to be.

Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:05 AM   #7554
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It depends if Emirates are happy, it will come too late for them if the EIS will be closer to 2025 then to 2020.

And from 2025 it will need the new engines to still compete with the by then re-engined 787s and A350s.

We still have to wait and see what will happen. The first date is the Dubai Airshow, which might not turn out to be as spectacular as some people would like it to be.
It all depends on orders. Only the Middle Eastern airlines order at the Dubai airshow so it depends on if they have orders lined up. EK is rumored to be making an order for around 100 aircraft, and maybe QR or EY have orders to make. FZ might as well but I doubt it.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Zaz965 liked this post
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 01:22 AM   #7555
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4267

Very good news for aviation. There will be massive future demand in India and China.

IMO, Turkish airlines will be the next candidate get A380.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Zaz965 liked this post
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 07:43 AM   #7556
jam5

I strongly doubt that Airbus is only doing this for Emirates' sake. They are a business, for God's sake. They would only be pushing for an extended version of the A380 if there was actually demand for it beyond those who already have them. Apparently, there is. But we aren't privy to those kinds of internal discussions, so we have no way of knowing for sure who.

Otherwise, this announcement makes no financial sense.

Old July 21st, 2015, 10:00 AM   #7557
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
Apparently, there is.
Which airlines are you having in mind?

Zaz965 liked this post
Le Male está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:58 AM   #7558
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63053

Airbus doesn't have any other customers (except for Emirates) as this really wasn't an announcement or news at all.

It was just the same story as before, the Airbus sales team has stated many times already that they are still committed to an improved A380. This is no different, again no specifics were given on how they are going to do it and when exactly. By mentioning 2025 as a possible EIS it even looks like they are already anticipating that it won't be launched anytime soon.

Again, it's just sales talk, we don't know what's happening behind the scenes.. A real launch of the A380neo could be imminent, let's say at the Dubai Airshow, but it could also be 2020.

Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:50 AM   #7559
British Republic

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
It all depends on orders. Only the Middle Eastern airlines order at the Dubai airshow so it depends on if they have orders lined up. EK is rumored to be making an order for around 100 aircraft, and maybe QR or EY have orders to make. FZ might as well but I doubt it.
They almost certainly will not, they serve destinations which cannot sustain flights operated by EK's A330s, 777s or A380s. But I agree that EK, EY and QR will likely order the plane along with SQ, CX, BA and TK in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
IMO, Turkish airlines will be the next candidate get A380.
From what I have read they are waiting for the New Istanbul Airport to be built since Ataturk Airport cannot take A380s.

Zaz965 liked this post
British Republic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:05 PM   #7560
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Airbus says its going to take at least five years for the A380NEO to be built and delivered after design studies and flight testing and certification even if they started today. The new Istanbul airport will be open by then and TK will be even a bigger player on the international market for air and cargo than they are today. They will need the A380 its only a matter of time. Of course we know that EK will order the aircraft no matter what. EY said that they are not going to take any more A380CEOs and i dont expect them to get the A380NEO. CX would be good candidate since HKG is getting more crowded by the year and QR is a good possibility

Zaz965 liked this post
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways