daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM   #7701
Panzer_18

Likes (Received): 727

Ive just found out that Airbus plans to stop the production in 2018... If sales will be better and airline companies will still choose A380 ...

This make me sad actually

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:33 PM   #7702
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Because Airbus A380 lacked the flexibility of smaller airplanes. It can be said that the likes of Airbus A350 or its rival, Boeing 787, does truly kill the market for jumbo aircraft like Airbus A380.
These days, airlines does not need to purchase jumbo airplanes just to fly the routes between Asia to Europe. A Boeing 787-8 which is around the same size as Airbus A300 can fly the distance that was once only achievable by the likes of Boeing 747.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:53 PM   #7703
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I would have liked to see an A380-neo. One full A380-neo is far more efficient per passenger than several A350s and/or 787s.

Although I do understand why airlines like A350s and 787s.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #7704
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
One full A380-neo is
....Vapourware. That's what it is. 1 in 7 of the non emirates A380 global fleet is as good as grounded now. (10 out of 70).

The only airlines that have properly integrated the A380 into their routes, on a large scale, are themselves looking at full central hub airports before the end of the decade. Barring a massive airport expansion campaign between now and 2020-22 there is nowhere to put these new A380s of yours and the production line is more than likely going to shut down by then.

The A380s built so far have already changed the global game but to change it even more will require stupendously large new airports and I don't think even Dubai has the money for one to be honest....the mega airport would cost half their annual GDP .

Only if Emirates and Airbus agree to slow production to a veritable trickle might the production line survive until those airports are ready, my 2c anyway.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #7705
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I understand the situation, I just like efficiency. One big full aircraft instead of 2 smaller full aircraft just makes sense to me
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #7706
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer_18 View Post
Ive just found out that Airbus plans to stop the production in 2018... If sales will be better and airline companies will still choose A380 ...

This make me sad actually
Where did you hear that? Can you provide a news link?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #7707
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

Airbus should just pimp the A380 with the trent xwb engines!
What Is Love?

patel2897, TallBox liked this post

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; October 24th, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:48 AM   #7708
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
....Vapourware. That's what it is. 1 in 7 of the non emirates A380 global fleet is as good as grounded now. (10 out of 70).

The only airlines that have properly integrated the A380 into their routes, on a large scale, are themselves looking at full central hub airports before the end of the decade. Barring a massive airport expansion campaign between now and 2020-22 there is nowhere to put these new A380s of yours and the production line is more than likely going to shut down by then.

The A380s built so far have already changed the global game but to change it even more will require stupendously large new airports and I don't think even Dubai has the money for one to be honest....the mega airport would cost half their annual GDP .

Only if Emirates and Airbus agree to slow production to a veritable trickle might the production line survive until those airports are ready, my 2c anyway.
Why exactly would they need "stupendously" large airports for A380? These planes basically replace the B747s which take just as much physical space. And many of the midsize airports (Munich, Dusseldorf, Manchester, Stockholm, Brisbane, Auckland etc) have A380 positions and they are easily constructed with a little investment if required.

And keep in mind, using larger planes requires actually less runway capacity than many smaller planes.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; October 24th, 2015 at 02:56 AM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #7709
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
And many of the midsize airports (Munich, Dusseldorf, Manchester, Stockholm, Brisbane, Auckland etc) have A380 positions and they are easily constructed with a little investment if required.
Dublin is getting an A380 spot next year and Copenhagen has one too.

But none of those airports above are the HUBS the A380 fly to are they???? The problem is with the hubs and you just gone and listed the spokes!!
Old October 24th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #7710
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

So what exactly is the problem with the hubs? Usually bigger planes are better for hubs as the runway capacities and slots are the major limiting factor.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #7711
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

They are not SJ hubs, but EK fly there SJ there from there super hub.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #7712
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
So what exactly is the problem with the hubs? Usually bigger planes are better for hubs as the runway capacities and slots are the major limiting factor.
Terminal capacity. Dubai is maxed out by 2019 or so at 90m pax. The new 380s will each deliver 600 pax per plane in 2 class config. Lets say (for argument) they each do 1.5 inbound sectors a day...that is 900 people per plane....6.3k a week and over 300k pax per annum.

3 A380s will therefore land 1m pax in Dubai between them per annum, soon adds up does it not??? Emirates have another 70 on order...wanna do the math for us??
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #7713
ESPImperium

Likes (Received): 147

If the A380 had 4 97XWBs on its wings, with it developing more thrust than the Trent 900s, could it mean shorter take offs and quicker landings? Thus enabling the A380-800neo by default. And meaning that something like that would engage more potential customers and also entice Emirates as well? I guess they will need the A380-900neo for future operations.

I was trying to workout how many spaces Emirates would need at a A380 terminal at a new DWC airport, and i came to the conclusion that they would need 150 in order to be able to plan for future demand, and they would need the same for 777s as well with another 80 for other aircraft types.

If they got the 900neo with 850 on it every journey with every stand being used twice a day, it would mean that it would be 618,800 per gate, that would mean that Emirates would be able to eek out 92m+ passengers a year from the A380, 43m+ from the 777 and another 35m+ from other aircraft, Emirates in theory would be able to cater for 170m+ pax a year. Thats a bloody crazy number for one carrier. Who would have thought that DXB would hit 90m in their lifetime. Anyone who thinks that, if DWC is built and operates from day 1 at optimal capacity, and it won't reach 250m+ per year, is clearly not thinking towards the future. Give it 30-50 years and i think it will happen/happened.

sponge_bob liked this post
ESPImperium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #7714
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
If the A380 had 4 97XWBs on its wings, with it developing more thrust than the Trent 900s, could it mean shorter take offs and quicker landings? Thus enabling the A380-800neo by default.
Asian routes tend to be very fully loaded, people bring nearer the max luggage with them and it is an important Air Freight route. Most big Asian airports are hotter than big European ones too. Form wise the XWB 97 will fit the existing wing and undercarriage but is the wing strong enough for the substantial extra thrust, that I cannot say.

Another factor is that the last 50 or 60 or so A380 deliveries to EK are changing over from the GE engines used so far to Trent 900 starting next year.....I wonder if some of the final 50 may have XWB engines in the end...but which XWB engine??

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that, if DWC is built and operates from day 1 at optimal capacity, and it won't reach 250m+ per year, is clearly not thinking towards the future. Give it 30-50 years and i think it will happen/happened.
No point building the new DWC (I mean The EK terminal(s) for less than 120m pax on day 1 and rising to 150m fairly soon afterwards. There is a small c.10m capacity terminal there already for other airlines like Wizz. Three runways for parallel operations too.

The modular terminal design at DWC is a bit of a secret right now...which is why I said here some time back that probably the single most important announcement this year at the airshow in DWC is one about DWC itself.

And I would not bet against DWC hitting 250m pax per annum any more than you would, probably not in my lifetime though. 25 years ago when the second Gulf War had just ended I would not have bet on Dubai being the biggest international passenger airport in the world by now, come to think of it.
Old October 25th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #7715
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
Emirates, the biggest customer for Airbus Group SE’s A380 superjumbo, said it has presented the manufacturer with a 20-year operating program for the aircraft, stepping up its campaign for a re-engined version of a model that’s struggling for orders elsewhere.

“We had several meetings with Airbus this year on the A380neo, on what we want and how many, right up until 2035,” Emirates President Tim Clark told reporters Monday at an aviation conference in Dubai.

While Emirates has 140 A380s on order and is interested in at least 100 more worth $43 billion, it’s struggling to convince Airbus of the merits of upgrading a plane that last won a new airline customer in 2012.

The manufacturer is struggling even to deliver ordered jets, with Skymark Airlines Inc., which wanted six, suffering financial meltdown, Transaero Airlines, buying four, on the verge of collapse, and Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. unsure if it needs six.
Two-Class A380

Emirates will take 21 superjumbos next year, according to Clark, and has specified 15 high capacity two-class variants which “will go on routes that can take it, of which there are many,” he said. Also arriving in 2016 will be 15 Boeing Co. 777-300ERs, of which it is also the world’s biggest operator.

Clark said Sunday that Emirates is still studying the Airbus A350 and rival 787 from Boeing and won’t make a decision on a potential order before next year, ruling out the possibility of an announcement at next month’s Dubai air show.......

Dubai International airport will become the world’s busiest within three years, overtaking Beijing and Atlanta, Dubai Airports Chief Executive Officer Paul Griffiths predicted at the conference. It will reach 100 million passengers a year before the new Al Maktoum airport is ready, and may hit capacity limits.

In 2020, once Emirates has moved to Al Maktoum, the airports will swap roles, with the new site becoming a mega-hub for transfers and Dubai International catering to passengers who begin or end their journey in Dubai, he said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ilization-plan
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #7716
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 51908

Airbus A380-841 Asiana Airlines - cn 179 F-WWAF -> HL7634 by Jujug Spotting, on Flickr

Equario, patel2897 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #7717
sponge_bob

EK is 30 today. Nice piece by CAPA here. If you search it for "scheduling" you might see why HOT performance is so vital going forward.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...changes-245140

This graphic from elsewhere on CAPA helps even more.

http://centreforaviation.com/images/...2_nov_2014.png
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #7718
noir-dresses
bling bling

Saudi Airlines Considering A380 Superjumbo Order as 747s Near Retirement

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ear-retirement

Equario, firoz bharmal, Panzer_18 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #7719
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62800

Saudia is a prime candidate to take the Skymark frames plus maybe some of the Transaero delivery slots.

They just have to throw a high density lay-out into the planes and use them on all those short hops between Riyadh and Jeddah. They can't go wrong with that, although you could argue it would be a bit of a abuse of the capabilities of an A380.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #7720
noir-dresses
bling bling

I also always said they could buy a few

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways