daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #761
Mike

Likes (Received): 12

Video of the A380 landing in Frankfurt: mms://od.wm.t-bn.de/t-bn/od/fraport/a380.wmv

Fast forward to 05:30min to see the actual landing. Before that are 5min chit chat in German that you might not understand anyways.
Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #762
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Friday October 28, 10:18 PM
Frankfurt's Turn To Watch The A380 Fly

By Howard Wheeldon
A DOW JONES NEWSWIRES COLUMN

LONDON (Dow Jones)--With the huge Airbus A380 prototype arriving at Frankfurt's main airport Saturday compatibility testing finally begins.

For most Germans, it will be the first time they have had the chance to clap eyes on the superjumbo, and no doubt crowds will turn out to view this miracle of modern aircraft engineering.

The test run is designed to see whether taxiways and reinforced runways can cope with the 211-foot long plane with a 232-foot wingspan, plus the empty 400,700 pound weight, docking systems, boarding bridges, cargo handling systems and fuel wagons. A host of other airport infrastructure systems will also be checked to see if they can handle the A380.

In short, a lot hinges on these tests.

Frankfurt is the first airport chosen, but Airbus aims to run them at others including Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney and Dubai, and presumably New York-JFK, Paris CDG and San Francisco thereafter.

With the second of five test aircraft flown just this week and with firm orders from 16 airlines for 159 A380s, the plane is set to begin operational service with Singapore Airlines in late 2006.

That means the 60 airports across the world now gearing up for the basic 555-seat aircraft haven't got much more time to get ready for the massive plane. And as they spend more millions doing that, they need to take into account that the proposed A380-900 stretch version will have 656 seats. And there's also a proposed A380-800 freighter version to plan for.

Airbus wants to complete the basic certification process by early 2006, though this could still be a challenge.

Air traffic control operations have to take into account other matters, such as the effects of the A380's wake turbulence and how much separation space it needs in the air, which could delay other traffic.

Indeed, ATC separation standards may need to be rethought, and that could be costly for airport operators.

Observers have long worried about the impact of A380's entry into service on runways, taxiways and ramps. In some cases A380 could be limited to specific runways and taxiways and because of the restricted 15 mph taxiway speed of A380 after landing, other departures could be held back.

Push back too could cause delays, and docking procedures are likely to take much longer than for existing planes.

The A-380 isn't the largest airplane in the sky - that distinction goes to Antonov's six-engine, Russian-built military cargo plane An-225 Mriya - but its impact will have considerable bearing on airport operations worldwide.

But A380's coming, like it or not, though whether it will ever be profitable for either its maker or its buyers remains an open question.

Airbus forecasts a need for 1,235 craft with capacity for 400+ passengers through 2020, and it comfortably expects to sell 700-750 of the list-price $250 million A380s during that time.

Though Middle East and Far East airlines have been the most significant buyers, European operators such as Virgin, Air France and Lufthansa are all members of the A380 club.

U.S. airlines have been far more circumspect, aside from FedEx and UPS which are taking the aircraft for cargo.

Indeed, most doubts about the A380 emanate from the U.S., so it's hardly surprising the FAA formed several working groups to study the impact of operating A380s at U.S. airports.

So far so good - and even executives from Airbus rival Boeing hailed the plane when it made its first landing at the Paris Airshow in June, amid jokes about dents in the runway.

A380 is certainly a great achievement for Airbus, and when it finally does get to the U.S. it would be a pity if it suffered the same backlash that greeted Concorde when that plane first arrived in New York in 1976.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #763
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Hi Tom, I was there too! But I didn't see you, though I know how you look like.

Unfortunately the police has blocked all walk ways around the A380, and even the visitor area in Terminal 2. Only VIPs were allowed in. As ordinary visitor you couldn't legally get closer to the A380 then 2km away which was pretty shit in itself and was made even worse by the foggy weather.

However, I didn't give up and began to change tactics: I resorted to drive-by-shooting from the car cruising around the streets close to the A380. That's how I could finally beat the police and get some closer shots (keep in mind that I was in motion while shooting, so the quality is not always the best):
I was the guy with the diggicam

Where did you stand during the landing ?
I was very close to the bus station.

The distance was very disappointing. So many people came from far away to see this event. I saw some people from Hamburg and the Netherlands.You drive so far to see this event and you get dissapointed. They could at least drive the A 380 close to the Airbase so everyboddy could make a good picture.

Will you go tomorrow, too ?

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #764
AFL

Likes (Received): 243

i now get the picture of how the aerobridges will be connected to the two decks plane...
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #765
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green
I was the guy with the diggicam
No, I was the guy with the digicam.

Quote:
Where did you stand during the landing? I was very close to the bus station.
I was standing more in the direction of the cargo city because the speakers around the video screen at the bus station were a little bit too loud for my taste.

Quote:
The distance was very disappointing. So many people came from far away to see this event. I saw some people from Hamburg and the Netherlands.You drive so far to see this event and you get dissapointed.
I absolutely agree. People coming from far away must have been very dissapointed. I got the impression that they clearly tricked the spectators away from the plane. I also don't like the fact that the parking position is pretty much hidden behind buildings. What the hell do they want to hide? Extremely dissapointing. At the same time they had reserved the best parts of Terminal 2 for VIPs, however from what I can see in the video there are almost none present (which VIP likes to get up at 6 o'clock in the morning ). They should have better thought about the ordinary plane enthusiasts.

And speaking about the weather, during the landing it was foggy and now a few hours later. the sky is clear and blue and the sun is shining.

Quote:
Will you go tomorrow, too ?
At what time will the take-off be?
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #766
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFL
i now get the picture of how the aerobridges will be connected to the two decks plane...
If you watch the video you can see the bridges docking onto the plane at 19:40min.
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #767
Mike

As a background: they are testing bridges, catering and towing the whole day.
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #768
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

It's grown on me some...
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #769
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3502

Quote:

I absolutely agree. People coming from far away must have been very dissapointed. I got the impression that they clearly tricked the spectators away from the plane. I also don't like the fact that the parking position is pretty much hidden behind buildings. What the hell do they want to hide? Extremely dissapointing. At the same time they had reserved the best parts of Terminal 2 for VIPs, however from what I can see in the video there are almost none present (which VIP likes to get up at 6 o'clock in the morning ). They should have better thought about the ordinary plane enthusiasts.
Have you been in terminal 2 ? It was very interesting. Robin Wood made some protest against the expansion of the airport. A local TV Station from Frankfurt interviewed me.
I shouted " Save the nature, down with the work places"
[IMG]http://************/f2snkj.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
At what time will the take-off be?
At 8 o`clock in the morning. It`s too early for me. I will not come.
Do you know when the A 380 comes again to Frankfurt?

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #770
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green
Do you know when the A 380 comes again to Frankfurt?
No I don't. But one of my sisters is flight attendant and my brother is working in the Lufthansa IT department so I will get warned early on when the A380 comes the next time.
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #771
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

great photos, nice one...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #772
fairul
VAMOS RAFA

Likes (Received): 240

cool pics guys..thx for sharing..
cant wait for the A380 to land at KUL next two weeks..hope that the weather will be fine..
fairul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #773
LuckyLuke

Nice pics! Just saw it in the news. They said that the next stop for the A380 will be Dubai someday next year.
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #774
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

@KUL? What for?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #775
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

if god wanted men to fly, he would have created us with wings....
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #776
il fenomeno
♥ helfen statt hetzen ♥

Likes (Received): 22611

good photos.
the plane is not german enough for me though. no bomb bays or grenade machine guns, totally useless for any blitz-actions
il fenomeno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #777
AFL

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE
@KUL? What for?
because MAS buy six of those aircraft and the CEO and other at Malaysia Airlines managament wants to look closer at the plane
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #778
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

the next stops of the A380 after frankfurt will be kuala lumpur, singapore, sydney, dubai and after that new york-jfk, paris cdg and san francisco.

http://cmsbak1.fraport.de/a380_landung/Landing_A380.mpg
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM   #779
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

^Yes... but it will return to Toulouse before that.
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #780
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Video of the A380 landing in Frankfurt: mms://od.wm.t-bn.de/t-bn/od/fraport/a380.wmv

Fast forward to 05:30min to see the actual landing. Before that are 5min chit chat in German that you might not understand anyways.
Can you tell me what the Lufthansa chiefpilot said about the interior configuration of the future Lufthansa's 380?
I seem to have understood than business and first will be on the main deck... have I got it right?? No business or first on the upper deck?? That would be weird... I probably didn't understood it right.

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways