daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2015, 09:41 AM   #7781
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
Until then, the Hub/Spoke design will carry on for decades to come, and is the total bain of my life as i have to take at least 4 flights to wherever i wish to go, or as i have worked out for a potential trip next year, one way was as many as 4 flights there and 4 flights back.
The point of fragmenting markets with smaller aircraft that can fly longer distances (such as the 767 and A330 did with the trans-Atlantic market and the 787 is now doing with the trans-Pacific market) is not that one can fly nonstop between cities that are both small and distant but rather that one can fly to more places from each hub and therefore fewer hub-to-hub flights are needed. Someday your four flight route might become a three flight route. The A380 was a bet that the fragmentation of markets had come to an end. Airbus lost that bet and the A380 program has lost more money than any other program in commercial aerospace history. Fortunately, the A330neo and the A350 are very capable aircraft that will continue to fragment markets.

Last edited by mcarling; November 24th, 2015 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Specified _commercial_ aerospace history since there is no way to know how much government programs lose.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #7782
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52017

Emirates A380 by Airbus Group, on Flickr

Frecce Tricolori over the wing of the Emirates A380 by Airbus Group, on Flickr
Old November 22nd, 2015, 08:21 PM   #7783
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
However for those in the UK, you need to travel to their major Hub in LHR in order to travel to those destinations. Or if you wish to travel from Mumbai to Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or next year Inverness, you need to travel via LHR. So you need to travel via a Hub with a 787 leg.

Yes, the 787 is a good aircraft for this non hub/spoke design. However, I think that all 'Flag Carriers' like BA should be diversified to the top 5 Airports in the country with more 787s flying direct routes that those airports do not connect to. So for BA id have 12 based aircraft at GLA & EDI, 20 at MAN, 40 at LGW and the rest of the fleet to LHR.

Until then, the Hub/Spoke design will carry on for decades to come, and is the total bain of my life as i have to take at least 4 flights to wherever i wish to go, or as i have worked out for a potential trip next year, one way was as many as 4 flights there and 4 flights back.

However, i do realise that carriers need to run a business and also they need to support the hub they fly through as thats a business as well and people need jobs and companies need my money.
BA uses the 787s for Houston, Austin, San Diego, Oakland, and I am sure a few other places.

I think flying directly to Heathrow / london is why people will fly that flight. They dont want to fly to an airport thats not as attractive of a flight to fly.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:51 PM   #7784
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2096

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The point of fragmenting markets with smaller aircraft that can fly longer distances (such as the 767 and A330 did with the trans-Atlantic market and the 787 is now doing with the trans-Pacific market) is not that one can fly nonstop between cities that are both small and distant but rather that one can fly to more places from each hub and therefore fewer hub-to-hub flights are needed. Someday your four flight route might become a three flight route. The A380 was a bet that the fragmentation of markets had come to an end. Airbus lost that bet and the A380 program has lost more money than any other program in aerospace history. Fortunately, the A330neo and the A350 are very capable aircraft that will continue to fragment markets.
A380 changed the development cycles in Airbus, introduced many technologies and other strategies. That was needed anyway and better it happened on A380 than A350 being delayed 5 years.

Now Airbus has A380 out and A350 is out only a few years behind 787, while they are working on other NEO versions at same time.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #7785
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Airbus lost that bet and the A380 program has lost more money than any other program in aerospace history. Fortunately, the A330neo and the A350 are very capable aircraft that will continue to fragment markets.
Well in fairness the F-35 is already $200bn over budget and is keeping going onwards and upwards from there.

And Concorde was a disaster in Civil Aviation terms and as good as bankrupted the participating companies so they could no longer develop new airliners....so off they went and founded Airbus so they did ( plus a few new members).

Compared to Concorde and the F-35 the A380 is small beer, honestly.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #7786
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Well in fairness the F-35 is already $200bn over budget and is keeping going onwards and upwards from there.

And Concorde was a disaster in Civil Aviation terms and as good as bankrupted the participating companies so they could no longer develop new airliners....so off they went and founded Airbus so they did ( plus a few new members).

Compared to Concorde and the F-35 the A380 is small beer, honestly.
I meant "commercial aerospace history". Sorry. Mea culpa. Yes, the F35 has cost over $200 billion, but there are arguments about the value. My own opinion is that the F35 is a boondoggle, but that is not an established fact.

I think you'll find the A380 has lost Airbus (about 20-25 billion euro, so far) at least double what the Concorde lost Aérospatiale and BAC (about 1.3 billion pounds, which is probably less than 10 billion euro after adjusting for inflation).
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #7787
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

It looks as if Airbus is about to face a wave of further order cancellations for the A380, shrinking its already underwhelming order list even further -here are some excerpts:

Quote:
After carefully analyzing the order book it can be concluded that a lot of orders are still listed, while airlines are looking for a way out of the deal. Airbus probably tries to keep the orders in the books to make the order book look robust, scratching these orders would show weakness and would show that demand for the Airbus A380 is low.
Quote:
Airbus claimed that it is currently talking with airlines to buy the Airbus A380. Potential customers probably are Saudi and Royal Air Maroc, both airlines are looking for a replacement for their Boeing (BA) 747-400 and could deploy the superjumbo during the Hajj pilgrimage. With these 2 new potential customers Airbus could add 30 units to the order book, which would be most welcome. However, it also shows the niche market for the A380.
Quote:
In the worst case scenario about 50 orders will be scratched from A380 backlog, while in the best case scenario it can sell 30 aircraft on the short term. All with all, for the short and long term Airbus is positioned poorly with its order backlog as well as with its entire superjumbo concept.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3707...-than-it-seems

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #7788
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Airbus A380 is not that bad. Although it's not as successful as expected, at least it is not a waste.

Zaz965, GEwinnen, Panzer_18 liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #7789
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Airbus A380 is not that bad. Although it's not as successful as expected, at least it is not a waste.
If you mean that the A380 is not as bad as the F35, then I agree.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #7790
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss

Likes (Received): 27934

I agree

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #7791
traindie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

a380 & a400 military same cockpit rite?
traindie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #7792
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

F-35 is a total waste, and I'm doubtful it would be a combat capable aircraft when compared to the likes of F-22, or even F-16 and F-15!

A380 on the other hand have scored some degree of commercial success. It has performed as what the engineers and airlines expected.

The downside of A380 is that it was born at the time when smaller airplanes like Boeing 777 or even Boeing 787 are capable to fly economically on a long haul distance. A feat that was only achievable during the heyday of Boeing 747 between 1970s until 1990s.

dirdam, Panzer_18 liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #7793
LdnNiko

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by traindie View Post
a380 & a400 military same cockpit rite?
They are similar (as all newer generation Airbus widebody cockpit design goes), however differences include:

- Electronic Flight Bag screens located behind the sidesticks on A380, not on A400M;
- On A400M, both ECAM screens located on main panel in front of pilots in arrangement of six screens, whereas A380 has one ECAM screen located on centre pedestal between MCDU screens.
- Overhead panel differences, external light and engine start switches located on a new extension from the A400M's overhead panel, more in line with pilots' sightline (unlike Airbus' civil cockpit designs).
- The blue-grey cockpit colour of civil cockpits has been exchanged for black and grey.
LdnNiko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #7794
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Airbus Pursues Saudia A380 Order With Super-Dense 615 Seater

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...nse-615-seater
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #7795
sponge_bob

I am really confused by this article on Bloomberg!!!

Quote:
Airbus sales chief John Leahy said this month at the Dubai Air Show that the company is in negotiations to sell as many as 32 A380s to two airlines, with one looking at as many as 20 aircraft and the other 10 to 12. The number of planes involved and the fact that they’d be new would appear to rule out Saudia as of the potential buyers. Leahy said the orders might be secured this year, though deals could equally come in 2016.

So Saudia are taking old aircraft and retrofitting them to the 2 class layout that EK are now taking delivery of (with 615 seats) by ripping out first class and some of the business class and replacing them with economy.

Or else they are new Amadeo planes on lease or old planes (ex Emirates or Singapore), on lease and obviously with some work done like ripping out first class.

Last edited by sponge_bob; November 27th, 2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #7796
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I am really confused by this article on Bloomberg!!!

So Saudia are taking old aircraft and retrofitting them to the 2 class layout that EK are now taking delivery of (with 615 seats) by ripping out first class and some of the business class and replacing them with economy.

Or else they are new Amadeo planes on lease or old planes (ex Emirates or Singapore), on lease and obviously with some work done like ripping out first class.
Have you tried contacting the authors of this article for clarification? I know one of them has a Twitter account.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #7797
sponge_bob

I'll go easy on them, they might have had a deadline after a pint at lunchtime.
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #7798
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62926

The Bloomberg article looks like a rather drastically abridged version of this German article.

http://www.aero.de/news-22975/Airbus...ration-an.html

Airbus is offering Saudi the same 2 Class high density lay-out which Emirates recently introduced. That's pretty much all what is said about a possible Saudi order. It doesn't say anything specific about the status or the details of this prospective order.

The 2nd part, where they talk with Amedeo makes it confusing. The German article links the 1st part about Airbus offering to the 2nd part about Amedeo wanting to create a 2nd hand market for the A380 in a creative way. They say that Saudi has remained very tight lipped about a possible order, not saying too much just that they are evaluating the A380 within their fleetplan. This means that they also haven't said anything about if they are open to take 2nd hand planes.

And then the article continues with the very desperate mr. Lapidus of Amedeo, trying very hard to create a market for "their" A380s after Emirates retire them early. Yes, the pilgrimage market to Mecca is a likely market for high density A380. But for now there's no connection between the possible Saudia order and Amedeo trying to push the A380 in this specific market segment. Mr. Lapidus is very opportunistic, sticking his nose anywhere there could be a potential A380 order. For example, at the time Delta was deciding between a Airbus and Boeing order he came along with a story that he was certain that Delta would go for the A380. Delta went with Airbus went with Airbus, but just for the A330 and A350. It's not that strange that when Airbus now is talking with Saudi he also jumps in and talks about the benefits of the A380 in specific market. But as I said, there's nothing to suggest that mr. Lapidus has anything to with this prospective order.

sponge_bob, Panzer_18 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #7799
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52017

China, HongKong, places-yucun-had-been-2014-12.jpg by Yucun Tang, on Flickr

China, HongKong, places-yucun-had-been-2014-11.jpg by Yucun Tang, on Flickr

Emirates A6-EDG 29-11-2015 by Enda Burke Photography, on Flickr

T R E N T - X W B 9 7 by Quentin, on Flickr

EK 241 arriving from Dubai direct by brent jackson, on Flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; December 2nd, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #7800
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

EK have recieved their 70th A380 registration number A6-EOR.

Everton44, Zaz965, Orion602 liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways