daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:35 PM   #8481
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62847

Air France have now officially dropped their last 2 A380s on order with Airbus, they converted the order to 3 A350-900s on January 18.

http://www.airbus.com/company/market/orders-deliveries/

patel2897 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:27 PM   #8482
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
So bad Airbus hasn't planes to compete with B777 and B787 - oh wait, what about the A350 and the A330neo ?
Oh, I have no doubt of that. It's just that the money Airbus plowed into the A380 program (that it's clearly never going to get back) could have been directed elsewhere.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #8483
camfloss

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
Oh, I have no doubt of that. It's just that the money Airbus plowed into the A380 program (that it's clearly never going to get back) could have been directed elsewhere.
The money wasn't spent in a vacuum though, even if the A380 project turns to be a commercial failure, which looks certain, Airbus will have gained a whole lot of tech and knowledge from it. They they can use this in future designs or to improving current ones I'm sure...not a total waster over the longer-term...

GEwinnen liked this post
camfloss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #8484
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

While the A380 project was not exactly the success that Airbus intended (due to the "tech bubble" financial crash of 2000 and the stock market crash of 2008), a lot of the technology learned from the A380 project was applied to the A350XWB, A320neo and A330neo projects. Indeed, the A350XWB's structural design is very close to what was developed for the A380.

Shenkey, GEwinnen, EduardSA, Equario liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #8485
KaneD

Likes (Received): 322

I'd be interested to know what primary city/metro/urban area has the lowest population out of all airports served by a regular scheduled A380 flight? From what I can see, all metro areas served by an A380 flight are well over 1 million people. The smallest I can find is Christchurch, New Zealand which Emirates started flying it's A380's too a few months ago. Christchurch metro area is about 400k.

Are there any other cities smaller served by A380s? I only ask because I can't see how flying an A380 into Christchurch is sustainable in the long run given the relatively smaller population base.
KaneD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #8486
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneD View Post
I'd be interested to know what primary city/metro/urban area has the lowest population out of all airports served by a regular scheduled A380 flight? From what I can see, all metro areas served by an A380 flight are well over 1 million people.
I would think Christchurch is seasonal as its demand peak is Dec-Jan. Otherwise you are right. There ain't enough demand ex DUB to Dubai at any time of the year unless EK go single daily and DUB is serving 2.5m people in its effective catchment.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #8487
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62847

The main reason for the switch from 777 to A380 is most likely the Dubai - Sydney leg of this flight, just to serve Sydney only with the A380.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #8488
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneD View Post
I'd be interested to know what primary city/metro/urban area has the lowest population out of all airports served by a regular scheduled A380 flight? From what I can see, all metro areas served by an A380 flight are well over 1 million people. The smallest I can find is Christchurch, New Zealand which Emirates started flying it's A380's too a few months ago. Christchurch metro area is about 400k.

Are there any other cities smaller served by A380s? I only ask because I can't see how flying an A380 into Christchurch is sustainable in the long run given the relatively smaller population base.
EK will eventually serve all Australian destination on A380 metal its always been the plan. CHC is a stopover services which saves EK ground handling costs in SYD plus they carry belly freight across the tasman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I would think Christchurch is seasonal as its demand peak is Dec-Jan. Otherwise you are right. There ain't enough demand ex DUB to Dubai at any time of the year unless EK go single daily and DUB is serving 2.5m people in its effective catchment.

CHC is not seasonal this is a scheduled upgauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The main reason for the switch from 777 to A380 is most likely the Dubai - Sydney leg of this flight, just to serve Sydney only with the A380.
Spot on.

Manazir, Orion602 liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #8489
jam5

Likes (Received): 534

Another body blow to the A380 program:

Boeing's Singapore Airlines deal might signal death for Airbus A380: analyst

Feb 9, 2017, 5:04pm PST

Quote:
Boeing's tentative deal to sell 39 wide-body jets to Singapore Airlines "almost certainly" signals the death-knell for the Airbus A380 jet, an aerospace analyst said Thursday.

Other analysts said it's premature to write an obituary for the European-made jumbo jet.

The debate emerged after Boeing (NYSE: BA) said Singapore Airlines made a commitment to buy 20 Boeing 777-9s and 19 787-10 Dreamliners in a deal worth $13.8 billion at list prices, excluding discounts of 50 percent that often accompany such deals. Boeing said the deal has not been finalized.

But the deal "is as good as done" because Singapore Airlines is a high-quality customer, said Saj Ahmad, chief analyst for StrategicAero Research of London.

Singapore Airlines last fall returned the first of five A380s leased from Airbus 10 years ago. Boeing's 777-9 jet will slash fuel and operational costs far beyond the A380s, making the Airbus double-decker "economically obsolete," Ahmad said.

"It almost certainly signals the death-knell for the aging and less fuel efficient A380 fleet," Ahmad said. "There doesn't seem to be appetite to buy more and add yet more capacity into its network when the entire (Asia-Pacific) region is battling to make money and generate better yields, despite cabins being fuller as a result of cheaper air fares."

Emirates has orders for 175 Boeing 777X jets so it can eventually retire its "gas-guzzling A380s," Ahmad added.
Anyone think that Airbus will kill the A380 program at about the same time as Boeing pulls the plug on the 747?

patel2897, mwinyi liked this post
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #8490
Sorvete na Testa
Bracho. Paola Bracho!

Likes (Received): 7020

Life is getting tougher for the Emirates E380. Airbus' shareholders will be happy when the plug on that airplane is finally pulled.

brewerfan386 liked this post
Sorvete na Testa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 04:54 AM   #8491
mwinyi

Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorvete na Testa View Post

Life is getting tougher for the Emirates E380. Airbus' shareholders will be happy when the plug on that airplane is finally pulled.
Why?
mwinyi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #8492
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4257

Maybe they can convert A380 to twin engine aircraft?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #8493
BluskyH

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
no..... just.. no

Spam King, anvv liked this post
BluskyH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #8494
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Sure, if you're willing to spend 10+ billion dollars developing the most powerful engines in the world, redesigning the aircraft wing, retooling the production facilities....

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #8495
Manazir

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinyi View Post
Why?
Because EK is the only airline still excited about the A380 out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluskyH View Post
no..... just.. no
How to make an ugly aircraft 101

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #8496
Le Male

Likes (Received): 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
Because EK is the only airline still excited about the A380 out there...
Well, with the growth slowdown they are facing right now. I don't think they are as excited as they were for the last few years. EK is even deferring deliveries of some frames.

I want the a380 to succeed, I really do, but I have to admit that the slowdown that EK is facing and SQ's choice of the 777X (even though they are considered as replacement for the 777-300ER, it is clear to me that they waited to see how the a380 program develops before they made that decision) sadly mark the end of the a380.
Le Male no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #8497
komatek

Likes (Received): 177

Regardless if the A380 is a good plane or not one should analyse what's its main purpose. A380 is basically a plane designed for slot constrained airports since the cost per seat is higher (or will be) than other current planes and nearby future.

So A380 will only survive in the particular case mentioned or if the cost per seat keeps low (because Airbus decides to sell them cheaper for instance)
komatek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #8498
openminded1978

Likes (Received): 3

Follow your dreams...
openminded1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #8499
derUlukai
✪ ALPHA-KEVIN ✪

Likes (Received): 5334

any chance to build a longer version and reduce the cost-per-seat this way?
derUlukai está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #8500
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Is that true that the first prototype of A380 is heading to museum?

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways