daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #8501
bsg75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
Is that true that the first prototype of A380 is heading to museum?
Yes, F-WWDD is currently in Le Bourget museum
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
bsg75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2017, 02:32 AM   #8502
Spam King
Make America Great Again!
 
Spam King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Polanco, Distrito Federal
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by derUlukai View Post
any chance to build a longer version and reduce the cost-per-seat this way?
You'd probably need to up-rate the engines eliminating any efficiency gained from more seats.
__________________
In the heart of a busy metropolis skyscrapers are a vivid reminder of the constant yearning of the human spirit to rise to God


MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 03:20 AM   #8503
Danfer21
Registered User
 
Danfer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Moca
Posts: 23,350
Likes (Received): 4939

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg75 View Post
Yes, F-WWDD is currently in Le Bourget museum
final flight:

Ferry to LBG 14/2/2017 by A380_TLS_A350, en Flickr

Final flight msn4 F-WWDD 14/2/2017 by A380_TLS_A350, en Flickr
__________________
Danfer21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:10 AM   #8504
Halimi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Likes (Received): 8

Can anyone explain to me why Emirates seems to be so uniquely keen on the A380 relative to other carriers?
Halimi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM   #8505
SSMEX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 111
Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimi View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Emirates seems to be so uniquely keen on the A380 relative to other carriers?
Emirates's Dubai hub uniquely positions them to serve as a one stop hub between most major markets (Asia-Europe, North America-South Asia, South America-Asia, Anywhere-Africa, etc.).

Their approach is to compete on price by operating A380s to every major city (and 777s to the rest). Let's say you want to go from Milan to Bangkok. Some airline may find that market big enough to operate a mid-sized widebody, but Emirates can compete on price in that market by operating an A380 to Milan and an A380 to Bangkok. Despite gains in efficiencies in the 787 and A350, the A380 still wins on a CASM basis because it's so much bigger (although this might change with the 777X), so Emirates can be the cost leader in that market, despite not flying it directly.

Emirates has structured its fleet and schedule around such a strategy, and the A380 is almost perfect for them. While other airlines struggle to fill an A380 every day, Emirates's extensive connection network means their A380s are effectively competing with all flights out of one airport, rather than just one route.
__________________
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #8506
noir-dresses
bling bling
 
noir-dresses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto-Zagreb-Zrce-Dubai
Posts: 5,745
Likes (Received): 2346

ANA new A380 livery.

An A380 livery symbolising good luck and prosperity in Hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW36L97c1iU
__________________

patel2897, Orion602, artevelde, Zaz965 liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #8507
Ultros
Evil Octopussy
 
Ultros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 274
Likes (Received): 332

So it seems that 4-engine double-deck jumbo airplanes may go the way of the Concorde. I understand why, but it still feels like a loss.
__________________
Ultros farts in the general direction of this post

Zaz965 liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #8508
ardial
Registered User
 
ardial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 2,619
Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
So it seems that 4-engine double-deck jumbo airplanes may go the way of the Concorde. I understand why, but it still feels like a loss.
Concorde max speed 2.10 mach
Meanwhile a380 max speed 0.96 mach
Almost 3 times than 737, which produce 0.78 mach
ardial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #8509
Ultros
Evil Octopussy
 
Ultros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 274
Likes (Received): 332

I'm not comparing speed, but technology. Not saying the 777X, 787, etc, aren't technological marvels.. but there's just something about an airplane that goes faster than the speed of sound. Or an airplane with two full levels of seating and/or four big engines.

Eventually commercial airplanes may look more or less the same: one level, two engines.. with length and width being the only noticeable variation. Just seems kinda boring.
__________________
Ultros farts in the general direction of this post

Zaz965, LdnNiko, camfloss, aquaticko liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #8510
abrandao
Paris, France.
 
abrandao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maceió, Paris, Budapest
Posts: 13,722
Likes (Received): 3846

Yesterday (March 26th 2017) Emirates began its daily operations to Sao Paulo Guarulhos International Airport with the A380. It's the first scheduled operation of the aircraft in South America.

http://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/notici...ja-video.ghtml

Video of the spotters' celebration in GRU:

__________________

patel2897, Munwon, Orion602, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by abrandao; March 27th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
abrandao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #8511
TallBox
Registered User
 
TallBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,129
Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
Emirates's Dubai hub uniquely positions them to serve as a one stop hub between most major markets (Asia-Europe, North America-South Asia, South America-Asia, Anywhere-Africa, etc.).

Their approach is to compete on price by operating A380s to every major city (and 777s to the rest). Let's say you want to go from Milan to Bangkok. Some airline may find that market big enough to operate a mid-sized widebody, but Emirates can compete on price in that market by operating an A380 to Milan and an A380 to Bangkok. Despite gains in efficiencies in the 787 and A350, the A380 still wins on a CASM basis because it's so much bigger (although this might change with the 777X), so Emirates can be the cost leader in that market, despite not flying it directly.

Emirates has structured its fleet and schedule around such a strategy, and the A380 is almost perfect for them. While other airlines struggle to fill an A380 every day, Emirates's extensive connection network means their A380s are effectively competing with all flights out of one airport, rather than just one route.
As I understand it, EK also favours the A380 because the entire top deck is business and first-class, which generates a lot more margin than ferrying economy passengers
__________________
Nous sommes tous Ronnie Pickering

camfloss liked this post
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #8512
deepblue01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 859
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
As I understand it, EK also favours the A380 because the entire top deck is business and first-class, which generates a lot more margin than ferrying economy passengers
Very interesting observation - I've always wondered though, the footprint of a business class seat is pretty big compared to economy seats, yet it sells for 4 times the price. So are we saying that for 4 times the price, the foot print will only be twice the amount of economy seats? hence making twice the profit etc?

Hopefully the A380 gets a revamp. Maybe new engines (making it longer range) plus better marketing strategies. An airline operating with bigger seats yet making the same profit margin as normal sized seats will certainly put LCCs in their place.

I understand point to point - but there must be "golden" times for certain routes which everyone prefers (i.e. mid-night flight with morning arrivals) - where instead of flying 2 flights an hour apart - they fly a jumbo?


What about hybrid A380s which has a higher cargo capacity?

Or when point to point cities are between 2 hubs?
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #8513
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր
 
bagus70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surabaya. The City of Hot Headed Heroes.
Posts: 3,903
Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
ANA new A380 livery.

An A380 livery symbolising good luck and prosperity in Hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW36L97c1iU
I wonder if ANA actually took former Skymark's order or do they get completely brand new planes?
__________________
Visit Indonesia and enjoy the railway tour, volcanoes tour such as visit to mount Bromo and Ijen. Click: http://www.indonesianrailwaytour.com/
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #8514
SCWTC4
NYC fan
 
SCWTC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: roma
Posts: 1,633
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I wonder if ANA actually took former Skymark's order or do they get completely brand new planes?
Yes and no. ANA took over three of the six orders for the A380 Skymark had. But the two airframes that got built before the whole Skymark/ANA/Airbus story happened will not go to ANA, they will be taken by Emirates.
__________________
- You were once led to believe, You were young and so naive ... -

- ... And now no longer ! -
SCWTC4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #8515
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店
 
siamu maharaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,188
Likes (Received): 4966

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
Very interesting observation - I've always wondered though, the footprint of a business class seat is pretty big compared to economy seats, yet it sells for 4 times the price. So are we saying that for 4 times the price, the foot print will only be twice the amount of economy seats? hence making twice the profit etc?

Hopefully the A380 gets a revamp. Maybe new engines (making it longer range) plus better marketing strategies. An airline operating with bigger seats yet making the same profit margin as normal sized seats will certainly put LCCs in their place.

I understand point to point - but there must be "golden" times for certain routes which everyone prefers (i.e. mid-night flight with morning arrivals) - where instead of flying 2 flights an hour apart - they fly a jumbo?


What about hybrid A380s which has a higher cargo capacity?

Or when point to point cities are between 2 hubs?
Probably because the luggage is not 4x, and you save a lot of weight on luggage (probably upwards of 100kg). And also the weight of the pax themselves.
__________________
ho ho to pa ki ho
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #8516
Orion602
Registered User
 
Orion602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Prague
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 24

this thread has been quite for 5 weeks. Were there any new deliveries recently?
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #8517
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss
 
Zaz965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CCCP
Posts: 3,104
Likes (Received): 27979

here, all a380 deliveries
https://www.planespotters.net/produc...irbus/A380?p=5
__________________

Orion602, djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #8518
Orion602
Registered User
 
Orion602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Prague
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 24

Thanks for the link. I didnt know about that site.
So it looks like there was a delivery to Quatar airways yesterday if im reading it right. And before that 2 deliveries in march (Emirates and Etihad). + one in february to Emirates. , so, it would make a total of 4 A380s delivered this year so far.
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
Orion602 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #8519
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Anyone able to assist me locating the images of EK A380's which are currently stored. I do remember stumbling across those images in the A380 discussion but they appear to have been deleted.
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #8520
Sorvete na Testa
Bracho. Paola Bracho!
 
Sorvete na Testa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ciudad de México
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 7029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimi View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Emirates seems to be so uniquely keen on the A380 relative to other carriers?
Long story short. Emirates' economic model is based upon transiting as many passengers as possible through Dubai. A380 can offload hundreds of people at once, and take hundreds of people out of Dubai, decreasing the wait time for passengers in Dubai.
__________________
Dead people don't speak!
Sorvete na Testa no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium