daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM   #1141
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I love seeing the A380 "surrounded" by Southwest planes. That's cool.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1142
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Likes (Received): 2

huggeeeeee!!!!!1
ccfc-4-life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #1143
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

This plane is awesome. Although I could have seen its take-off to Munich by just looking out of the window I took the way to Frankfurt Airport and i didn't regret this decision.
While the A380 was taxiing to its take-off position it passed a 747... the Jumbo just looked like a toy! Must see some pics of this scene. Unfortunately i didn't have a cam with me.
It was a very cool experience seeing this monster lifting off only a few hundred meters away from me
Also, the sound is very cool. I already heard the A380 during its landing approach when visiting Frankfurt for the first time in 2005 (but didn't see it: too much fog) but now I also heard it taking off A 747 is much louder and sounds worse.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #1144
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Did they put a 747 near it to see the difference?
In Chicago, the corporate HQ of Boeing? Seriously doubt it!

OK, this thing IS impressive. No doubt. But from a practical standpoint, will this effect much of US aviation? My guess, not much. Only a handful of airports are building to accomodate it.

Time will tell, but will this plane be the norm in world aviation in 2027? I doubt it.

But kudos for the guts to build it,, albeit with serious delays, and get it off the ground.

(BTW, trivial, but the video from Chicago was not from Chicago TV, it was from a local tv stations website.)
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1145
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

A380 @ MUC

yesterday it came, finally....

more: http://www.flughafen-muenchen.de/DE/...380/index.html

Last edited by pflo777; March 29th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1146
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

very nice pics, this plane is huge! the future of flight is here, but how long until it becomes the past?...
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1147
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

well, the A80 dates back to the 80`s, when the first serious thoughts about building such a huge plane were made in Europe.

Thats 25 years untill today---a quarter century !!!!

So even if the would start today, it will take another 25 years, untill we will see the next generation Superjumbo, which will be a flying wing...

10 years basic research---10 years development and testing the plane to make it ready for the market + another 5 years for unconsidererd problems.

I think thats realstic...and 25-30 years is exactly what the A380 and747-800 are designed for.

pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #1148
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
So even if the would start today, it will take another 25 years, untill we will see the next generation Superjumbo, which will be a flying wing...
I have doubts about the flying wing. Next time you are experiencing turbulence in an airplane, look out at the wingtip and tell me if you want to be sitting there. And banking the aircraft, even in smooth air, the amount of displacement would be enough to keep passengers in their seats.

The next generation Superjumbo should be supersonic.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1149
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

the flying wing will not happen, even if the technology advances (it probably exists already lol) because the airports will not be able to take such a beast, new taxiways, terminals etc would need to be built, and im not entirely convinced it would be a smooth ride...
Old April 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1150
MCarr
Future after Past

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
the flying wing will not happen, even if the technology advances (it probably exists already lol)
The flying wing configuration has been seriously considered by many aircraft designers since the early years of aviation, probably due to its natural appeal as a minimal design solution. Some examples of early flying wing aircraft are the Dunne series of biplane aircraft and Waldo Waterman's Whatsit.

The configuration was studied extensively in the 1930s and 1940s, when it was seen as a natural solution to the problem of building an airliner large enough to carry a reasonable passenger load and enough fuel to cross the Atlantic in regular service. The flying wing's potentially large internal volume and low drag made it "a natural" for this role, and was studied in depth by Jack Northrop and Cheston L. Eshelman in the United States, and Alexander Lippisch and the Horten brothers in Germany, where Hugo Junkers had in 1910 patented a wing-only air transport concept.

Junkers started work in 1919 on his "Giant" JG1 design, intended to seat passengers within thick wings, but in 1921 the Allied Aeronautical Commission of Control ordered the incomplete JG1 destroyed for exceeding post-war size limits on German aircraft. Junkers conceived futuristic flying wings for up to 1,000 passengers; the nearest this came to realization was in the 1931 Junkers G-38 34-seater Grossflugzeug airliner, which admittedly had a short fuselage ending in a double tail, but for the restconsisted mainly out of one large thick-cord wing which provided space for fuel, engines and even two passenger cabins (inside the leading edge of the inboard wing panels). The biggest land plane of its day, and nicknamed 'The Flying Hotel' one G-38 entered service with Lufthansa; It was not a comercial succces however. Only two passenger planes were built although Mitsubishi in Japan acquired the licencing rights and built several (Some sources state 6) G-38s, as bombers under the designation Ki-20 or Type 92. Of Junkers own G38's one was grounded, the other was put to military use as a heavy transport and destroyed by a British air raid in Athens in 1941.

Several late-war German military designs were based on the flying wing concept (or variations of it) as a proposed solution to extend the range of the otherwise very short-range jet engined aircraft. Most famous of these would be the Horten Ho 229 fighter. This aircraft, first flown in 1944, combined a flying wing, or Nurflügel, design with twin jet engines. The surviving prototype remains in storage with the Smithsonian Institute in an unrestored state.

After the war, a number of experimental designs were based on the flying wing concept, but a number of problems arose. Some general interest remained until the early 1950s, when the concept had been proposed as a design solution for long range bombers. Such trends culminated in the Northrop YB-35 and YB-49, which did not enter production. Those designs did not necessarily offer a great advantage in range and presented a number of technical problems, leading to the adoption of "conventional" solutions like the Convair B-36 and the Boeing B-52.

Interest in the flying wing configuration was renewed in the 1980s as a way to design aircraft with low radar reflection cross-sections. Stealth technology relies on shapes which only reflect radar waves in certain directions, thus making the aircraft hard to detect unless the radar receiver is at a specific position relative to the aircraft - a position that changes continuously as the aircraft moves. The tailplanes and engine intakes of a conventional jet, and especially its round fuselage, reflect radar in all directions, while the flat and nearly-horizontal surface of a flying wing only reflects radar in a couple of specific directions. In addition, if the edges of the wings are straight rather than curved, then they only reflect radar at angles perpendicular to these straight segments, rather than in all directions. This approach eventually led to the Northrop B-2 Spirit stealth bomber. In this case, the aerodynamic advantages of the flying wing are not the primary needs. However, modern computer-controlled fly-by-wire systems allowed for many of the aerodynamic drawbacks of the flying wing to be minimized, making for an efficient and stable long-range bomber.

Apparently, the flying wing concept still remains at its best in the slow-to-medium speed range, and there has been continual interest in using it as a tactical airlifter design. Boeing continues to work on paper projects for a Blended Wing Body Lockheed C-130 Hercules sized transport with better range and about 1/3rd more load, while maintaining the same size characteristics. A number of companies, including Boeing, McDonnell Douglas and de Havilland did considerable design work on flying-wing airliners, but to date none have entered production.

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1151
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18219

Source : http://www.fotop.net/douglaschim

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:32 AM   #1152
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18219

By 維珍仔 Thomas from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1153
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

hehe, the models are very cool, I want one of those at home!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #1154
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

A380 Tour: Pics from KCVG!

I was part of the media that was invited by Airbus and the Kenton County Airport Authority to be there for the arrival of the giant A380 at Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport. KCVG is a Delta hub with a handful of flights to Europe and multiple connection possiblities here in the US domestically. This is the Engine Alliance aircraft and that's why it was in Cincinnati, Ohio. GE's aircraft engine division is based out of here. Nice airport I must say and very nice Airport Director. He was a hoot! Eitherway, here are some of the pics. I thought you guys would enjoy them!

All the pics can be seen here: www.pbase.com/lexyky/a380

F-WWEA (interior still out due to final testing before certification for passenger service). MSN009:

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography
Lexy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #1155
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Likes (Received): 0

incredible machine indeed!
andre_carneiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #1156
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

So far, no U.S Airlines are ordering.
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #1157
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

So far, not many airlines are ordering, period.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1158
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
So far, not many airlines are ordering, period.
That's correct. But, a little birdie has told me that Airbus is going back to the table with FedEx for talks with them about the A380F. Supposedly later this year, or early next year is the target date(s) for some talks.

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography
Lexy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1159
Sexas
Whole Other Country

I see they fixed the wingtip, it was damaged and take down when it was showing in Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport back in September, and you can see how many airline already order the A380 by looking at the airline logo on the body....so far only 14....LOL
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1160
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
That's correct. But, a little birdie has told me that Airbus is going back to the table with FedEx for talks with them about the A380F. Supposedly later this year, or early next year is the target date(s) for some talks.
I would love to see FedEx and UPS get back on the ball with the A380 Freighters. The only U.S. Airlines I can see ordering the A380 are Northwest and United since they're the only U.S. operators of 747's.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways