daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1441
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

I can fly non-stop DXB - BKK with EK's A380 for $820 for a 6hr 20min flight, or I can fly Qatar Airways (probably a A340) with stop-over in Doha for just $422 for a 9hr 05min one.

Are $398 or 48.5% premium worth the privilege?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1442
KB

Likes (Received): 6845

Gulf and Qatar are amongst the cheapest airlines for international travel (in that region). Emirates, Singapore Airlines ,etc are expensive.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1443
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Gulf and Qatar are amongst the cheapest airlines for international travel (in that region). Emirates, Singapore Airlines ,etc are expensive.
In the current state of the economy, that no longer holds. Singapore Airlines, Emirates and many other airlines have joined in slashing ticket prices to prices we'd have never thought they'd offer.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1444
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I can fly non-stop DXB - BKK with EK's A380 for $820 for a 6hr 20min flight, or I can fly Qatar Airways (probably a A340) with stop-over in Doha for just $422 for a 9hr 05min one.

So, does anyone think that a 48.5% premium in price is worth a 50% less travel time and flying the A380 over a "regular" A340 or A330? I have to decide ...
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1445
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

They obviously don't teach Maths properly any more... the price premium is 94.3%. :P

That said, I'd still go for the A380 (having done so for LHR-SIN)... inaugural flight too.
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #1446
AltinD
The Modecator

I completed my math learning circle (any kind of math) ... let me see: 3rd year of Uni, back in 1993.
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #1447
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

SIA flies A380 to Hong Kong

9 Jul 09

THE economic downturn did not stop more than 450 people from getting on the inaugural Singapore Airlines Airbus 380 flight to Hong Kong on Thursday morning.

SQ856 which departed from Changi Airport's Terminal 3 at 9.50am is scheduled to touch down at 1.30pm.

Hong Kong is the fifth destination to be served by SIA's fleet of nine A380s - the biggest commercial aircraft every built.

The Singapore carrier which became the first to operate the aircraft in October 2007, also flies it to Sydney, London, Tokyo and Paris.

To date, SIA has flown more than 1.4 million people on its fleet of A380s, which have clocked more than 35,000 flying hours on more than 4,000 flights.

The airline has 10 more A380s on order.

In its statement on Wednesday, SIA said the aircraft has proven exceptionally popular with customers, with strong loads on all the routes it serves.

Executive vice-president for marketing and the regions, Huang Cheng Eng said: 'The A380 is the crown jewel in Singapore Airlines' young and modern fleet, and we are proud to be able to introduce this wonderful aircraft on one of the most important routes in our network. We are delighted that our customers have come to embrace the Singapore Airlines A380 and its industry-leading cabin products.'

SIA's A380 is configured to carry 471 passengers in three classes.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_400898.html
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1448
juzzy

Likes (Received): 20

Airfrance in full livery...

Highcliff liked this post
juzzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1449
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7504

When is Air France expected to get its first A380? I suppose it'll be really soon.
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #1450
Dinivan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

It depends on how much income you have I wouldn't mind paying the premium, mostly because you'd save almost 3 hours, cos the A340 is also a great plane and very comfortable so unless it's of especial interest for you to fly in the A380 I guess it wouldn't make much difference
Dinivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #1451
AltinD
The Modecator

I discovered that Qatar Airways has also a special non-refundable fare of just $200. I guess the chances of me flying the A380 are ...
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #1452
Misscoke

Likes (Received): 0

THAI stuck with A380s

THAI stuck with A380s

Cancellation penalties could reach $700m
By: BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA
Published: 11 Jul 2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: Business

Thai Airways International (THAI) has no option but to keep its order for six Airbus 380 megajets, because cancelling could have huge legal and financial consequences.

"The best option available for us is to delay taking delivery of those A380s," Wallop Bhukkanasut, the chairman of THAI's executive board, said last night.

The flag carrier had earlier sought to terminate the A380 contract or change to another future Airbus model, the A350-1000, as it had come to believe the world's largest commercial aircraft would not be economical to operate.

In the recent negotiations with the European planemaker, Airbus has ruled out those changes and THAI itself has come to realise that the cancellation will result in a legal battle that would have a significant impact on THAI and the image of the country as a whole, something the airline wants to avoid, according to Mr Wallop.

The cancellation would expose the airline to US$700 million in penalty costs - $300 million in pre-payment for airframes and $400 million for contracts already committed.

"Several contracts involved in the A380s are restricted with absolutely no room for change," Mr Wallop told reporters after the airline's board meeting.

THAI is now proposing that the delivery of its first three A380s, each costing $300 million, be put off to 2012 and the remaining three in 2013.

The airline has been contracted to take delivery of the jets in two lots, in October 2010 and June 2011.

"In 2012, global economic conditions should be in much better shape, and so will traffic volume. By then, THAI's cash flow problem should have been resolved and the economic environment improved," he said.

THAI will continue to negotiate with Airbus on details of the new proposal but it wants the company to cap the cost escalation in order to minimise the financial impact, he added.

The airline will also reconsider how the aircraft could be deployed, he noted.

THAI had earlier planned to fly the A380s on its long-haul routes, such as Bangkok to London, Paris and Frankfurt.

Airbus has scaled back production of the A380 this year as customers resist taking large planes because of the global travel slump.

THAI is seeking to cut costs after posting a net loss of 21.3 billion baht, its first in its history, in 2008. It earned 7.8 billion in profit in the first quarter this year, mainly on currency gains.

Mr Wallop acknowledged that the chance of getting the A350-1000 early in the event of a change from the A380 was slim as there was a huge order backlog for the aircraft, for which deliveries are not expected until 2018.
Misscoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1453
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52043

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pics from flickr.com
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #1454
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

image hosted on flickr

Singapore Airlines A380 first to Paris

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; July 11th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #1455
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old July 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1456
taylorgig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Interiors of the plane looks very impressive!
taylorgig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1457
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4965

Where did the French sense of style go???

An ugly Eurowhite livery. Jesus, put something on the plane, it's like a huge whiteboard. I know it's their usual livery, but on such a big plane it looks extremely ugly. Just write A380 in the aft or something. It's way too boring.

And those hideous white biz class backs. I'd die if I have to look at that buttugly pudgy piece of white plastic for a 10-hur flight.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1458
juzzy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Where did the French sense of style go???

An ugly Eurowhite livery. Jesus, put something on the plane, it's like a huge whiteboard. I know it's their usual livery, but on such a big plane it looks extremely ugly. Just write A380 in the aft or something. It's way too boring.

And those hideous white biz class backs. I'd die if I have to look at that buttugly pudgy piece of white plastic for a 10-hur flight.
I think those are pics of the interior of the promotional A380 flight in 2007, and not specific to airfrance, if you see its Airbus branding all over the place and no airline branding, so dont stress about interior, coz thats not it
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #1459
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Cartoon

Old July 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #1460
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

SQ flies A380 to Melbourne

15 July 2009

SINGAPORE Airlines will fly the Airbus 380 to Melbourne from Sept 29.

It will be the second Australian city, after Sydney; and the sixth destination that SIA will serve using the superjumbo jets.

Sydney was the first to receive the aircraft when SIA began operating it in October 2007.

Since then, the airline has added London, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong to its list of A380 destinations.

The flight to Melbourne will replace an existing daily Boeing 747-400 service.

SQ 227 will leave Changi Airport at 9pm and arrive in the Australian city at about 6am the next day, SIA said in a statement on Wednesday.

On the return leg, SQ228 will depart Melbourne at about 4pm and touch down in Singapore just before 10pm.

SIA currently operates 21 weekly services between the two cities.

It also operates to four other Australian cities; Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and Sydney.

SIA's executive vice-president for marketing and the regions Huang Cheng Eng said: 'We are excited to fly the A380 to Melbourne, the second most populous city in Australia and a vibrant centre for commerce, arts, industry, sports and tourism... The 471-seat A380 will increase the seat capacity to Melbourne by 10 per cent, without the need for additional frequencies.'

The airline currently has nine A380s in service, and another 10 on firm order.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_403391.html
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways