daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #141
Koz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
now look at this plane, it's huuuuuge. so the real question is : can that aircraft fly ???

what do u think guys ??

If a 747 can carry a space shuttle atop its fuselage, the A380 can fly

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #142
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
If a 747 can carry a space shuttle atop its fuselage, the A380 can fly
yeah right ! but i never saw a 747 with a space shuttle ontop, wasn' it a russian Antonov instead ? (well even if i doubt the Us would take a russian aircraft for such a meaningfull transport)
kony está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #143
A-brain

Likes (Received): 2464

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #144
kony

Likes (Received): 1242

a brain your pix doesn't show, which is frequent with pix from the airliner site...
kony está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #145
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18181

U.S. airports make changes for A380
Gary Stoller
17 January 2005
USA Today

At least a dozen U.S. airports are bracing for the arrival of the Goliath of the skies -- Airbus' new A380 jumbo jet.

They expect to spend hundreds of millions in airfield and gate modifications to prepare for the world's widest passenger jet before it lands for the first time in 2006.

New York John F. Kennedy plans to spend about $120 million. Charles Gargano, of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, says JFK plans to widen runways and shoulders of taxiways, and to strengthen bridges.

Five foreign airlines -- Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Lufthansa, Singapore and Emirates -- plan to begin flying the world's only twin- deck, four-aisle airliner into JFK in 2006 or 2007.

At Los Angeles International airport, where more than $53 million will be spent to prepare for the A380, officials expect Qantas to arrive with the new plane in November 2006 and Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Singapore, Korean Air and Federal Express by the end of the decade.

In addition to alterations to some gates and terminals, LAX plans to spend $28 million to pour more concrete and upgrade airfield intersections. Also planned: reinforcement of a tunnel under two runways.

"We'll be one of the airports most affected," says Mark Massman of Los Angeles World Airports.

The airport authority expects to spend much less -- up to "a few million" dollars -- for taxiway improvements at its airport in Ontario, Calif., where UPS is considering operating A380 cargo flights.

At San Francisco International, officials say they don't have to spend a penny to get ready for the dawn of the A380 era. "We're ready to take them today," says spokesman Michael McCarron. The airport opened a new international terminal in December 2000 that has five gates for A380s, and has modified its taxiways.

At Chicago O'Hare, spokeswoman Annette Martinez says modifications for the A380 will be part of a $6.6 billion runway and expansion plan that awaits federal government approval. One gate at the international terminal should be ready to handle A380 flights in the third quarter of 2007, she says.

Outside O'Hare, some members of local community groups who oppose the expansion are not looking forward to the arrival of a huge new airliner. Jack Saporito, of The Alliance of Residents Concerning O'Hare, says the introduction of the A380, which weighs hundreds of tons, will degrade the environment by increasing air traffic and forcing expansion of runways.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #146
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Comparison between A380 and 747. I think you guys are able to figure what everything means

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #147
rufi
Against Spam

Likes (Received): 0

WOW!
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #148
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
yeah right ! but i never saw a 747 with a space shuttle ontop, wasn' it a russian Antonov instead ? (well even if i doubt the Us would take a russian aircraft for such a meaningfull transport)
The 747 did fly with the shuttle on top. When they first made them, they took them on a tour round a few other countries my dad saw it fly over Manchester.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #149
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Airbus poised to clinch key Chinese orders

BEIJING, Jan 16 (AFP) - High-flying European airliner builder Airbus has already logged dozens of orders for its new giant A380 aircraft, and signs emerged on Sunday it would seal its success by clinching orders from China, one of the world's biggest operators.

The Sunday Times reported that Airbus is close to clinching two key orders valued at USD 3 billion (EUR 2.28 billion) from China for its new plane, the biggest passenger airliner in the world which will roll out of its assembly hangar on Tuesday

Citing industry sources the newspaper said the Toulouse, France-based maker was in talks with the Chinese government and Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong listed carrier.

Although orders have flooded in for the A380, Airbus's success is seen as depending on whether it can interest China, one of the world's biggest operators.

With the 2008 Beijing Olympics looming, there had been speculation that a Chinese order for the twin-deck, four-engine plane, which can carry some 550 passengers, would be announced at the A380's official roll-out on Tuesday, Hong Kong-based aviation analyst Peter Negline of bankers JPMorgan said earlier.

Such an announcement had already been expected when French President Jacques Chirac visited China in October, and again when German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was in Beijing in early December.

China's commercial air market is expected to be one of the world's largest in the coming years.

The Sunday Times report said that the Chinese government order, which is likely to be split between two airlines, Air China and China Southern, would be for five aircraft and a similar number of options to buy more.

The order of Cathay Pacific, it said, could be the same size, taking the value of the Chinese contracts, including options, to about USD 3 billion (EUR 2.28 billion).

The European group has so far received 139 firm orders for the A380 as well as 10 expressions of intent to purchase.

Airbus, which hopes the A380 will enable it to increase its global lead over US rival Boeing, did well last year on the Chinese front, recording firm orders for 58 of its smaller planes, including three from Hong Kong, and letters of intent for 23 more.

In the next two decades, Airbus sees potential sales to China of its products at some 1,600, while Boeing, which currently has a 62 percent market share, predicts more than 2,000 and the domestic Aviation Industries of China (AVIC) is looking at nearly 1,300.

While the Olympic Games are expected to attract tens of thousands of visitors to Beijing, relaxed restrictions by both China and foreign countries mean that many more Chinese are venturing abroad. All will need airline seats.

However, the number of orders for the A380 from Chinese airlines is not expected to be large, perhaps no more than 10 aircraft.

China is looking for a share in the latest aerospace technology, rather than the delivery of products fully finished.

Rainer Hertrich, the co-chief executive of Airbus' parent company, the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, said in Beijing last month he was confident China would place orders for the A380 soon.

He said an undisclosed number of what will be the world's biggest commercial airliner, which has a catalogue price of USD 275 million (EUR 209 million), had been reserved for China.

"The A380 will be rolled out in January and the first flight is scheduled for March. I believe in the end, if the Chinese want to see it flying, honestly the Chinese have to hurry up," Hertrich said.

China's Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui strenuously denied a report in The Wall Street Journal that Beijing was holding up orders for at least five A380s because of the European Union's refusal to lift a 15-year-old ban on arms sales to China.

Airbus China president Lawrence Barron said in November the company will set up an engineering centre in China next year and hire 200 staff by the end of 2008.

The company was also discussing the possibility of setting up an operation that would assemble planes in the country, Airbus boss Noel Forgeard said at about the same time.

Airbus also wants to manufacture at least five percent of the parts for its proposed A350 model in China, the head of Airbus Germany, Gustav Humbert, said in December.

One in four of the 3,500-plus Airbus planes in operation around the world is equipped with parts made in China, according to the Xinhua news agency.

© AFP

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #150
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

After looking at the scale on that thing that Kampflamm posted you then really get to see just how big this plane is. Its like wow a million and one times!!!!!!!
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #151
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

I didn't realize the A380 was that small when compared to the 747. It isn't that much bigger.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #152
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

lee,would you stop.look at the a380's wingspan its huge
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #153
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I didn't realize the A380 was that small when compared to the 747. It isn't that much bigger.
Yes it isnt. Its only marginally longer, but hey, its a full length double-storey bird!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #154
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Lee are you looking at the right picture the thing is massive. I'll got an email from airbus with special stuff. I dont know if it is or not you may just be able to get it of the web site but here it goes.......
The A380 being painted.A380 being painted I dont think this link works in firefox try ie.
An image of the A380 http://www.airbus.com/A380/Images/Re...0exclusive.jpg

Plus other info ....
Agenda for JANUARY 18th

08:30
Joint press conference with Noël Forgeard, Airbus President and Chief Executive Officer, and A380 customer Chief Executive Officers.

11:00
Arrival of Heads of
State and Governments

- Mr Jacques Chirac,

President of the French Republic

- The Right Honourable Tony Blair,

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

- His Excellency Mr Gerhard Schröder,

Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany

- His Excellency Mr José Luis Rodriguez

Zapatero,
President of the Government of the Spanish Kingdom

11:05
Beginning of ceremony.
Aircraft Reveal.
Inauguration of the aircraft.

12:35 End of ceremony.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #155
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Airbus A380: from drawing board to runway-ready in a decade

PARIS, Jan 16 (AFP) - The A380, the new Airbus "superjumbo" which will be officially unveiled Tuesday, is the product of a decade of designing, drumming up of advance orders and dreams of knocking Boeing's 747 off its perch as the top bird in passenger transport.

Here are some key dates in its development:

Early 1990s: Airbus begins studying ideas for building an airliner capable of seating more than 500 passengers to compete against Boeing's 747, which started flying in 1970.

June 1994: Airbus begins engineering development of the plane, then known as the A3XX.

July 2000: Emirates Airlines becomes the first company to order the still under-wraps plane, saying it wants to buy seven.

December 19, 2000: Airbus officially launches the plane, calling it the A380.

January 2001: The US freight company Federal Express announces the first order of the cargo version of the A380, reserving 10.

February 20, 2001: Airbus expands its plant in Hamburg, Germany to handle assembly of the interior of A380 cabins. Assembly of the plane itself is to take place in Toulouse, France.

January 23, 2002: Production starts of Airbus A380 components.

July 16, 2002: French President Jacques Chirac lays the first stone in the vast Toulouse hangar used for assembling the A380.

June 15, 2003: Emirates increases its orders to 45 A380s.

July 4, 2003: Inauguration of an Airbus plant in Broughton, Wales, where wings for the A380 are to be made.

August 19, 2003: The first glimpse of the plane being put together in the French city of Nancy, when a big piece of fuselage is unveiled.

March 25, 2004: The front and central sections of the plane are unveiled at the plant in Saint-Nazaire, France, as they are transported to Toulouse. Special measures have to be made to allow the 50-metre long convoys to pass, taking up eight metres across and 12 metres high.

May 7, 2004: French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin inaugurates the Toulouse assembly line.

January 18, 2005: Airbus is to officially unveil a completed A380 in the presence of Chirac, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.

March 2005: Scheduled first test flight of the plane.

March 2006: Forecast start of the A380 entering commercial service with Singapore Airlines using it between London and Singapore.

2008: The first freight-configured A380s are expected to take to the air.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #156
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

andy, I never said it wasn't massive. I said it isn't that much larger than the 747 when compared on scale. Not to mention less attractive.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #157
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
andy, I never said it wasn't massive. I said it isn't that much larger than the 747 when compared on scale. Not to mention less attractive.
Less attractive? Well...I have to agree in some angles that it just dosent look as graceful as the B747, but well, I suppose it just needs some getting used to?

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #158
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A380 'superjumbo' will be profitable from 2008: Airbus chief

PARIS, Jan 16 (AFP) - The A380 'superjumbo', which will be presented to the world in a lavish ceremony in southern France on Tuesday, will be profitable from 2008, its maker Airbus told the French financial newspaper La Tribune.

"You need to count another three years," Airbus chief Noel Forgeard told Monday's edition of the newspaper when asked when the break-even point of the 10-billion-euro-plus (13-billion-dollar-plus) A380 programme would come.

So far, 13 airlines have placed firm orders for 139 of the new planes, which can seat between 555 and 840 passengers and which have a catalogue price of between 263 and 286 million dollars (200 and 218 million euros).

The break-even point is calculated to arrive when the 250th A380 is sold.

Airbus figures that, over the next two decades, more than 1,200 aircraft of the size of the A380 will be required for point-to-point routes in the world.

Forgeard said "we are well above our market plan," and added that his aim was to bring in two new airlines as customers each year.

Asked about China adding its airlines' names to the order sheet, Forgeard said he predicted a firm order would be soon forthcoming.

"I am extremely confident that the A380 will be bought by a Chinese company in the first half of this year," he said, without elaborating.

In December, Forgeard hinted that an agreement in principle had been signed with a Chinese airline for five A380s, and Britain's Sunday Times newspaper cited industry sources who said that had been firmed up into actual orders with an option for another five, and that Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific was preparing a similar order.

The Airbus chief told La Tribune there would be Chinese representatives at Tuesday's unveiling ceremony in Toulouse, "notably from the China Southern airline."

Old January 18th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #159
hkskyline
Hong Kong

London's Heathrow airport in big spend to welcome Airbus "superjumbo"

LONDON, Jan 16 (AFP) - London's Heathrow airport is spending 450 million pounds (643 million euros, 842 million dollars) to accommodate new Airbus A380 planes, the first of which was set to roll out of its hangar on Tuesday.

"The A380 will be an important aircraft for Heathrow," airport operator BAA said on its website.

"Its extra capacity will make efficient use of our two busy runways and will make it attractive to airlines operating in busy airport environments such as Heathrow," it added.

BAA said it would spend 450 million pounds "to prepare for the A380 and upgrade Heathrow's busy airfield".

The Airbus A380, which gets presented to the world on Tuesday in a roll-out ceremony in Toulouse, southwest France, is a double-decker "superjumbo" capable of carrying 840 passengers and will rank as one of the biggest machines ever to take to the air.

With a wingspan of 80 metres (262 feet), an overall length of 73 metres (239 feet), a height of 24 metres (79 feet) and a maximum take-off weight of 560 tonnes, the A380 can carry more passengers than any other commercial aircraft.

Heathrow has said that by 2016, it believes the A380, whose customers include British tycoon Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, could account for one in every eight flights at Heathrow.

This would enable about 10 million more passengers to fly to and from the airport each year with no increase in the number of flights.

Heathrow welcomed 140.1 million passengers in 2004. The airport was meanwhile set to receive its first Airbus A380 in spring 2006.

As well as Virgin Atlantic, other airlines planning to operate the A380 in and out of Heathrow include Singapore Airlines, Australian carrier Qantas, Middle East airline Emirates and Thai Airways International.

"It is a very cost effective plane for us to compete with British Airways," Virgin boss Branson said Sunday.

"It is the biggest plane in the world, it means that the mile cost per seat comes down and therefore it just makes Virgin Atlantic that much more competitive," he told BBC television.

Old January 18th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #160
bluga
Inspire

Likes (Received): 1

Airbus set to clinch first China sales for A380
Sun Jan 16,10:41 AM ET Business - AFP

LONDON (AFP) - European aircraft maker Airbus is close to clinching two key orders valued at three billion dollars (2.28 billion euros) from China for its new A380 plane.

The Sunday Times quoted industry sources as saying that Airbus was in talks with the Chinese government and Cathay Pacific, the Hong Kong listed carrier.

Although Airbus has already logged dozens of orders for the A380 -- the biggest passenger airliner in the world which will roll out of its assembly hangar on Tuesday -- its success is seen as depending on whether it can interest China, one of the world's biggest operators.

The Sunday Times report said that the Chinese government order, which is likely to be split between two airlines, Air China and China Southern, would be for five aircraft and a similar number of options to buy more.

The order of Cathay Pacific, it said, could be the same size, taking the value of the Chinese contracts, including options, to about three billion dollars.

With the 2008 Beijing Olympics looming, there had been speculation that a Chinese order for the twin-deck, four-engine plane, which can carry some 550 passengers, would be announced at the A380's official roll-out on Tuesday, Hong Kong-based aviation analyst Peter Negline of bankers JPMorgan said earlier.

Such an announcement had already been expected when French President Jacques Chirac visited China in October, and again when German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was in Beijing in early December.

China's commercial air market is expected to be one of the world's largest in the coming years.

Related link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_050116154118
Uploaded file
bluga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air france, airbus, airplane, changi airport, emirates, lufthansa, singapore airlines, suvarnabhumi airport, thai airways