daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #181
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Most only think of modern as taking a chance when it comes to architecture. I think Lucas Oil Field took a big chance in the other direction

rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #182
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Like it or not, even though it was built before probably everyone here was born, its still more unique than 95% of what's out there

rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #183
oxo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Meh, they look modern but I don't think they look very refined design wise. Especially the baseball stadiums looks rather drab and cold including even the outdoor parks.

China on the other hand is really pushing the limits design wise for its stadiums with some truly fantastic looking stadiums. What make it all the more impressive is they don't have any truly renown major professional leagues utilizing them. I give mixed grades at best for of most of the new office towers, cultural institutions, and new transit infrastructure in China but their stadiums and arenas do seem rather class.
Very true. The qualities of refinement and finess are missing from American stadium design and, to a slightly lesser extent, British design.
For example Wembley looks looks like a soul-less conference centre. The exterior of Arsenal's stadium (built just a few years ago) has about as much character as your local supermarket and the Olympic stadium in London has about as much sex appeal as a gas drum in Grimsby.
oxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #184
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz03 View Post
Why are American stadiums so bland? It seems like when other countries think of building stadiums they immediately try to catch the world attention with unique out of the box ideas for architecture. While when American cities think of how many luxury boxes they can fit into their design and what fast food vender they should carry and when it comes to architecture they say oh well i would rather have people have nothing to say about it than have them saying something bad about it. Here are some stadiums that represent the world and the U.S.

The Birds Nest is a perfect example of architecture around the world, this stadium caught the worlds attention this is something the U.S is lacking.

This stadium, the New Meadowlands stadium is a typical U.S stadium. This stadium is a square block of mediocre architecture. This stadium with its bland exterior situated in parking lot central managed to cost about 800million more than the Birds Nest.

Soldier field, one of the few U.S stadium designs that actually had thought for uniqueness in it. This stadium was build inside the old soldier fields shell has been criticized people calling it an eye sore on Chicago's lakefront even losing its historic building honors but it is still considered a huge financial success. This is probably a big reason why other cities don't take chances on unique stadium designs and it is a shame because the U.S could use more stadiums that are not typical U.S stadiums with there bland box exterior.

That is my opinion on U.S stadium design. What are your opinions on the U.S's stadiums compared to world stadium and how can the U.S change this and become a center for stadium architecture?
Most of our stadiums are funded in a large part by taxpayer money, and unlike in China, taxpayers in this country have a say in how that money is spent.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970

Last edited by eMKay; January 18th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #185
joezierer

Likes (Received): 9

I wasn't saying american stadiums are bland. I was joking about stereotypes. Europe doesn't make brutalist skyscrapers, and china doesn't make terrible cars. Just like America doesn't make bland stadiums.
joezierer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #186
oxo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Warsaw - Stadion Narodowy.

oxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #187
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 269

Cowboys Stadium

WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #188
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezierer View Post
I wasn't saying american stadiums are bland. I was joking about stereotypes. Europe doesn't make brutalist skyscrapers, and china doesn't make terrible cars. Just like America doesn't make bland stadiums.
China does make terrible cars, you got that right.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #189
Otto Racecar

Likes (Received): 15

First of all, the birds nest was built by the government of china to showoff it's country. It was meant to impress the world. It is the same with any world cup venues as well. Comparing the birds nest/soccer city to stadiums that are built by a city or owners for their local sports team is flawed. The united states has the worlds largest stadium infrastructure so lumping all of the stadiums together as bland is also flawed. The united states in general recently has followed a trend of building retro stadiums for several reasons.

First, many of the stadiums that were built in the US over the years that were billed as modern or futuristic when built became outdated and were looked at as eyesores within 20 to 30 years. This has slightly dampered the excitement for the next "new fangled" design.

Second, Many recent stadiums that have been built have been taxpayer funded so the most outlandish or modern ideas generally have not made the final cut. Taxpayers have been looking at the overall cost and although still want comforts and good design are also not overally interested in a concept piece on their dime.

Third,Many american stadiums and arenas recently have been designed to fit in with asthetics of the area(repurposed warehouses, etc..), remind fans of the architecture of the stadiums they once attended when they were children or of the stadium being replaced, and represent the citys sporting heritage.

Fourth, A large amount of money has been spent on the renovation and refurbishment of stadiums in the US instead of building new. College football is a major example of this process. American colleges have spent large sums of money over recent years that are comparable if not exceeding any major sports league in the renovation,refurbishment, and expansion of stadiums. These universities are attempting to keep the character of the stadiums which are often 80 or 90 years old.Madison Square Garden and the superdome are recent examples of pro stadiums that have recently undergone restoration without changing the character of the building.

That being said there are cities that go modern with their stadiums in the US which are comparable to alot of modern stadiums in the world. At a lesser extent if you look at a league like major league soccer in which there is no history for teams to build off of, many of the new stadium designs like new york's red bull arena, livestrong park in kansas city, or houston's new compass field have many modern touches.

I feel it is as much about nostalgia and representing the cities sporting heritage in recent US stadium design then it is about one upping competition or trying to make a name for your city. Also although I'm not a huge fan of metlife stadium it was supposed to emulate giants stadium that it replaced and it also has modern touches such as exterior skin lighting that change colors like allianz arena in munich.

Last edited by Otto Racecar; January 18th, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Otto Racecar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #190
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3290

I like Marlins Stadium, Cowboy Stadium and Paul Brown Stadium, the Sprint Center in Kansas City is great too.

I think Safeco, Miller Park, and Lucas Oil stadium are ugly. Most of these stadiums with fake-old brick veneer already look dated without looking classic. Camden Yards is an exception, it will always be a beautiful stadium because it has good lines and elegant design. The roof on Miller Park is horrible looking, it makes the stadium look like some sort of Frankenstein creation.

In general most of the retro fake-old architecture built in the US in the '90s and '00s is terrible, kitchy and cheap looking, the stadiums are no exception.

Last edited by Somnifor; January 18th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #191
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Think all American stadiums should have european style roofing to help keep the fans happy and safe from the poor architecture views
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #192
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
Think all American stadiums should have european style roofing to help keep the fans happy and safe from the poor architecture views
on god no

eurpean stadiums are crappy ugly looking.

I dont want the history, architecture of Soldier field, chicago to get completely ruined by ugly roof.

US sports only lasts only 3 hrs. no roof needed

instead

huge gitantic cowboy stadium styled full HD LED widescreens needed everywhere.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #193
Hindustani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You must be blind...
agreed.

cowboy stadium: its literally an architectural museum

soldier field: an epidome of historic & modern state-of-the-art combination

paul brown stadium: as great & state-of-the-art as any chinese stadium

we build stadiums for ultra competitive sport not for tour sight seeing like rest of the world does.

NBA: # 1 basketball league in the world
NFL: Best sports league & most profitable in the world
NHL: #1 hockey league in the world
MLB: well the less said the better.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #194
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
US sports only lasts only 3 hrs. no roof needed
No soccer match ever reaches 3h, even with additional time and penalty shootouts.

One advantaged of roofed stadia is that they are more suitable for parallel events like a music concert or a big religious event or whatever else.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #195
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
How about 70,000,000+ spectators a year.

No that isn't a typo. Seventy Million plus. Try and wrap your heads around that number.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #196
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

70million thats more people than in Uk
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #197
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I like Marlins Stadium, Cowboy Stadium and Paul Brown Stadium, the Sprint Center in Kansas City is great too.

I think Safeco, Miller Park, and Lucas Oil stadium are ugly. Most of these stadiums with fake-old brick veneer already look dated without looking classic. Camden Yards is an exception, it will always be a beautiful stadium because it has good lines and elegant design. The roof on Miller Park is horrible looking, it makes the stadium look like some sort of Frankenstein creation.

In general most of the retro fake-old architecture built in the US in the '90s and '00s is terrible, kitchy and cheap looking, the stadiums are no exception.
...fake-old architecture? So just because it was built in this century but reflects a past style means it's ugly or cheap looking?

What?
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #198
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10456

Quote:
MLB drew 73,425,568 fans in the 2011 regular season, marking the fifth highest attendance in the sport's history.

The average attendance over 2,418 games played was 30,366.

Anyone in the World that follows baseball can tell you that MLB is the #1 professional baseball organization on this planet.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #199
Hindustani

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
How about 70,000,000+ spectators a year.

No that isn't a typo. Seventy Million plus. Try and wrap your heads around that number.
dude. easy

I'm a die hard yankees fan.

its just that first thing that comes to my mind when I think of MLB is "steroids controversy"

MLB maybe 3rd most successful league in the world only after NFL & NBA.

70 million foot drops is no joke.

its incredibly successful.

much more successful than wannabe soccer premier leagues accross the pond.
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #200
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 269

Why do Us stadiums need to take chances when we know what works for us and we dont have time to look around during the games in our stadiums.... excluding baseball...that has some boring spots in those games.
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium