daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #201
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTexas View Post
Why do Us stadiums need to take chances when we know what works for us and we dont have time to look around during the games in our stadiums.... excluding baseball...that has some boring spots in those games.
this.

Basketball: fast paced sport
Football: nearly every game is a nailbiter
Baseball: when bases are loaded, this game automatically turns into thriller.
Ice Hockey: too fast paced to take eyes off.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #202
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

As for the roof point, I'd guess part of the reasoning why they don't have them in the USA is that where it's cold, it's very cold in the winter. You don't get rain, you get snow.

Go somewhere like Seattle, and rain is more common, and they have a roof.

Perhaps stranger is that classic old baseball stadiums - for a sport that isn't played in the rain - often do/did have a roof. And few think the the roof at Wrigley is ugly. When the old places got knocked down there was a big shift away from the old roofed design, and Americans seem to prefer it, to the extent that having a roof is considered almost unnatural. There's often a feeling that having a roof will be like playing a dome, which most hate. It's actually nothing like that at all.

Most stadiums in Southern Europe tend to be open too.

Quote:
Why do Us stadiums need to take chances when we know what works for us and we dont have time to look around during the games in our stadiums
I'd say the opposite. Most US sports have far more dead time than most due to the amount of stoppages. That said, it's not as if sports fans anywhere actively take time out to study the architecture of the venue, but it does form a backdrop to the game that becomes an integral part of the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
70 million foot drops is no joke.

its incredibly successful.

much more successful than wannabe soccer premier leagues accross the pond.
it's more successful than any other US sport too.

The average crowd is considerably lower than the premier league though. With just 380 games to MLB's 2418, they'd need to average nearly 195,000 to pass MLB's crowd.

What MLB would/could draw if they played just once a week is hard to estimate, although I do find it amazing how well the game draws. Who goes to those daytime midweek games?

By the way, "premier" just means the top league in the country, no more than that. It was an idea nicked from Scotland when it introduced a top division of 10 in the 1970s as a "first division" already existed.

As a tip, overall, arguing about sports is like trying argue about the best pizza topping. It invariably just comes down to taste.

However much their fans might love their favourite sports and find them exciting, nearly all sports are considered a boring irrelevance by people elsewhere in the world where they aren't played.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #203
oxo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Lighting should play a very important role in stadium design
to create the right mood.
A lot of thought, planning and testing went into the lighting
scheme for the Stadion Narodowy stadium in Warsaw shown below.

The aim was to create lighting that would not be harsh and that
would be restricted to only two colours to avoid the disco look.

As you can see the results are stunning.

oxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #204
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
Anyone in the World that follows baseball
This must be a very small minority.
No offence, but baseball seems to be quite boring for me......
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #205
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxo View Post
Lighting should play a very important role in stadium design
to create the right mood.
A lot of thought, planning and testing went into the lighting
scheme for the Stadion Narodowy stadium in Warsaw shown below.

The aim was to create lighting that would not be harsh and that
would be restricted to only two colours to avoid the disco look.

As you can see the results are stunning.

The problem with throwing that stadium out there as an architectural chance is that similar stadiums have been done. Even if something looks different from the architecture in the US, if it looks like something done elsewhere in Europe or say Africa or is similar in style, then its not taking a chance.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #206
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

The style of the architects GMP (Gerkan, Marg & Partner/ Hamburg) is to be recognized in Narodowy stadium , they've constructed many stadiums around the world (except the U.S.), Herzog & de Meuron from Basel/Switzerland were responsible for one of the most spectacular stadiums in the world, Bird's Nest in Beijing.

The architect of the new Wembley stadium was the famous Sir Norman Foster.

Do you know any spectactular stadiums outside the U.S. constructed by american architects?
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #207
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
This must be a very small minority.
No offence, but baseball seems to be quite boring for me......
Hey I like Baseball !
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #208
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

That COWBOY STADIUM is the best stadium I have seen.

It has everything & some

-extremely high rectractable roof unlike buckled down roofs of european stadiums

-comfort seating with tons of wiggle room.

-worlds largest Full HD LED display. 90% of the mega stadiums are lacking.

-Its really a thing of beauty. maybe the best designed stadium ever.

-Its gorgeous design can compete with any beijing stadiums.

Quote:
Cowboys Stadium

Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #209
WesTexas

Likes (Received): 269

Ok. The Birds Nest was a feet of steel and that about it. It is not a practical design and no one anywhere in the world would want that as their stadium.

American design firms design American Stadiums because American stadiums have a completely different style than European stadiums because we use our stadiums for different sports.

(HKS (Cowboys Stadium, Lucas Oil, American Airlines Center, New Liverpool proposal) has design firms outside the USA)
WesTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #210
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post

The average crowd is considerably lower than the premier league though. With just 380 games to MLB's 2418, they'd need to average nearly 195,000 to pass MLB's crowd.
No, it isn't. The difference is 35,000 vs 30,000.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #211
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Ok. The Birds Nest was a feet of steel and that about it. It is not a practical design and no one anywhere in the world would want that as their stadium.

American design firms design American Stadiums because American stadiums have a completely different style than European stadiums because we use our stadiums for different sports.

(HKS (Cowboys Stadium, Lucas Oil, American Airlines Center, New Liverpool proposal) has design firms outside the USA)
Plus alot of the euro stadiums are old and had been added onto here and their with new stands and tiers being built over the years. The new Liverpool stadium design is from a manchester,england company one of the former designs was from a american company.
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #212
Rev Stickleback

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
No, it isn't. The difference is 35,000 vs 30,000.
I'd call that considerable, but my point was really more that aggregate crowds are an unusual way to measure between leagues were there is a huge disparity among the number of games.

I'd bet the NHL outdraws the NFL in aggregate attendance, but it says little about the relative popularity or success of either.

Either way, MLB numbers are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post

-extremely high rectractable roof unlike buckled down roofs of european stadiums.
What is a "buckled down roof"?

Personally I'm not fond of high roofs or domes. They just make places seem gloomy, and can do odd thigs with the accoustics. Ajax's Amsterdam Arena is the worst. It makes it sound like you are inside a tupperware box.
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #213
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
It's actually not that much lower; Premier League average so far this season is 34,569 compared to 30,229 for MLB, and those numbers are aided considerably by near-capacity crowds at Old Trafford and Emirates.

Quote:
What MLB would/could draw if they played just once a week is hard to estimate, although I do find it amazing how well the game draws. Who goes to those daytime midweek games?
Perhaps closer to capacity, but for aesthetic reasons I doubt teams expand their ballparks.

Getting off of work early for one or two midweek games a month isn't so hard; I've done it a couple of times.

Now, the folks who manage to show up for tests over several weekdays...how do THEY do it? O_o
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #214
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
The style of the architects GMP (Gerkan, Marg & Partner/ Hamburg) is to be recognized in Narodowy stadium , they've constructed many stadiums around the world (except the U.S.), Herzog & de Meuron from Basel/Switzerland were responsible for one of the most spectacular stadiums in the world, Bird's Nest in Beijing.

The architect of the new Wembley stadium was the famous Sir Norman Foster.

Do you know any spectactular stadiums outside the U.S. constructed by american architects?
I'd love to see what a European architect would do with a baseball stadium
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #215
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I'd love to see what a European architect would do with a baseball stadium
And I wouldn't.....

*shudders*
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #216
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And I wouldn't.....

*shudders*

I guess the only design from the U.S. the europeans love is Mc Donald's hamburger and Apple's products
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #217
oxo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The problem with throwing that stadium out there as an architectural chance is that similar stadiums have been done. Even if something looks different from the architecture in the US, if it looks like something done elsewhere in Europe or say Africa or is similar in style, then its not taking a chance.
These days there is no such thing as an "original" design (in the strictest sense of that word) for stadiums. Every stadium features visual traces of a different one or is influenced by others to some degree.

However, aspects such as lighting have not been fully explored and Warsaw's Stadion Narodowy represents a breakthrough in this respect - I would say the most beautifully illuminated stadium in Europe, unless someone can prove otherwise by posting a photo of a stadium with lighting which is just as subtle as well as looking stunning.

Last edited by oxo; January 20th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
oxo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #218
Rev Stickleback

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
It's actually not that much lower; Premier League average so far this season is 34,569 compared to 30,229 for MLB, and those numbers are aided considerably by near-capacity crowds at Old Trafford and Emirates.
...and hindered by capacity crowds nearly every week at most other venues, as well as not containing the country's top 20 best supported clubs.

Either way, it was a minor point.

Quote:
Perhaps closer to capacity, but for aesthetic reasons I doubt teams expand their ballparks.
I'm sure if teams thought they could get 50,000 rather than 35,000 they'd expand

Quote:
Getting off of work early for one or two midweek games a month isn't so hard; I've done it a couple of times.
I guess it depends on the kind of job you have. I know run-of-the-mill games here would get low crowds if played in the afternoon.

It's still not something you could do too often, I'd have thought.

Quote:
Now, the folks who manage to show up for tests over several weekdays...how do THEY do it? O_o
each day of a test is sold individually, so many probably only attend one day.

The committed would book three days off, but each venue only hosts one test a year. The national league games, played in the week, have always had tiny crowds.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #219
Rev Stickleback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And I wouldn't.....

*shudders*
Out of curiosity, what do you think they'd do that would be so wrong?

I certainly wouldn't want the designers of the many dull single tier bowls designing baseball grounds (I don't want them designing football grounds either, for that matter) but would a reshaped Allianz Arena or Emirates Stadium be so bad?

the odds are though they they'd just look at existing baseball stadiums and do something similar.
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #220
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
I guess the only design from the U.S. the europeans love is Mc Donald's hamburger and Apple's products
Plus the design from several cars, even european ones like Volkswagens new Beetle or BMW's new Mini or the Z4, not to mention all those american classic automobiles, classic american refridgerators... the longer you seriously and reasonably think about it, the longer the list goes on and on...

To get back to stadium design, european stadia are in general basically just as dull or as exciting as the americans.
Mostly and generally they just tend to follow different philosophies and styles.
No wonder, after all the american market and demands for stadia are quite different from the european market, starting with the very different popular sports that are being watched here and there.

Last edited by Alemanniafan; January 20th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Alemanniafan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium