daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:13 AM   #221
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
I'm sure if teams thought they could get 50,000 rather than 35,000 they'd expand
Some stadiums are built on such a small footprint that expansion would be difficult, if at all feasible, and/or likely destroy the ballpark's scenic views. Any money that a club would make on expanded general seating would be easily generated by hiking ticket prices and installing more corporate boxes, plus there's always standing-room-only sales.

Quote:
I guess it depends on the kind of job you have. I know run-of-the-mill games here would get low crowds if played in the afternoon.

It's still not something you could do too often, I'd have thought.
Weekday afternoon crowds are usually lower but clubs with a lot of white-collar clientele (Cubs, Giants, Chowds, Yankoffs) don't suffer such a severe dropoff.

Quote:
each day of a test is sold individually, so many probably only attend one day.

The committed would book three days off, but each venue only hosts one test a year. The national league games, played in the week, have always had tiny crowds.
d'oh

I meant "first-class" or "List A," since international matches are obviously more of a nationwide spectacle.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:06 AM   #222
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you think they'd do that would be so wrong?

I certainly wouldn't want the designers of the many dull single tier bowls designing baseball grounds (I don't want them designing football grounds either, for that matter) but would a reshaped Allianz Arena or Emirates Stadium be so bad?

the odds are though they they'd just look at existing baseball stadiums and do something similar.
I just don't think it would work. Some things just need to be homegrown and local in order to understand what the locals want, ya know?

I love Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Classic style, looks western.

I don't know what a European would do with that.
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #223
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post

d'oh

I meant "first-class" or "List A," since international matches are obviously more of a nationwide spectacle.
Virtually nobody goes to midweek cricket national league games here. Crowds average about 1000 per day for each game (with Saturday crowds higher). It's pretty much always been the way, with the league clubs being subsidised by club memberships and the international games.

The Sunday and night (one day) games get significantly larger crowds
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #224
Cogan

Likes (Received): 9

Why not put a roof on it?

Letís see if this works...

I for one am fed up of threads being polluted with the whole 'Why not put a roof on it?' argument, so I have created this thread in the hope that it will help in the future. For those of you who donít know, there are 2 main sides to the argument:

EUROPEANS: most European stadia have roofs because there is frequent rain during the long sports seasons. The fans want to be kept dry throughout the season, and are less likely to turn up to games if they are going to get wet week in, week out.

AMERICANS: most of the US does not have frequent rain throughout the sports season, so the cost of a roof is less justifiable. The American Football season has so few games that fans are less bothered if they exposed to the elements, and many fans pride themselves in playing/watching sport outside no matter the weather. Roofs and domes tend to be present in places that have a lot of rain (eg. Seattle), intense summer heat (southern states) or when indoor space is required for conventions/to attract big events (eg. Indianapolis).

As a European who watches American sports, I agree with both sides of the argument. Feel free to agree/disagree with any of my points, and feel free to voice your opinions. Please bash it out with each other here instead of spoiling the other threads!

In future it might be worth forum users providing a link to this thread when the topic inevitably arises in the future.
Cogan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #225
Cogan

Likes (Received): 9

Sorry I started this thread in the wrong place, can anybody tell me how to move it? Or does a mod have to move it?!
Cogan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #226
Werkself
wiki.werkskultur.de

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
I guess the only design from the U.S. the europeans love is Mc Donald's hamburger and Apple's products
actually, the classic Apple design is very north european as you look at the simplism approach and Dieter Rahms product design.

Mc Donalds center of innovation is germany as well, not compareable to the US junk food concept.

I would say there is no real origin anymore, its an global interchange of innovation.

I dont see a classical stadium layout. I dont see any difference between new european stadiums an those are build for Brasil WC.
Werkself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #227
Werkself
wiki.werkskultur.de

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogan View Post
Letís see if this works...

I for one am fed up of threads being polluted with the whole 'Why not put a roof on it?' argument, so I have created this thread in the hope that it will help in the future. For those of you who donít know, there are 2 main sides to the argument:

EUROPEANS: most European stadia have roofs because there is frequent rain during the long sports seasons. The fans want to be kept dry throughout the season, and are less likely to turn up to games if they are going to get wet week in, week out.

AMERICANS: most of the US does not have frequent rain throughout the sports season, so the cost of a roof is less justifiable. The American Football season has so few games that fans are less bothered if they exposed to the elements, and many fans pride themselves in playing/watching sport outside no matter the weather. Roofs and domes tend to be present in places that have a lot of rain (eg. Seattle), intense summer heat (southern states) or when indoor space is required for conventions/to attract big events (eg. Indianapolis).

As a European who watches American sports, I agree with both sides of the argument. Feel free to agree/disagree with any of my points, and feel free to voice your opinions. Please bash it out with each other here instead of spoiling the other threads!

In future it might be worth forum users providing a link to this thread when the topic inevitably arises in the future.
Why does then the NY Giants stadium has no roof? There is nearly the same rain as in Europe, maybe a little more with freedom taste.
Werkself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #228
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Because it just doesn't have one. Americans don't see a roof as a necessary part of a complete stadium. That's it. Rain, snow, wind, whatever. It doesn't bother us. Let us do our thing.

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium