daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #41
IcyUrmel

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
3) What sports can be played in what type of stadiums. I know that soccer field is slightly wider than a NFL football field but what about other sports shared stadiums. Baseball and NFL football share some stadiums in the USA but it requires movable stand sections to fit the different dimentions but that trend is going away as MLB and NFL teams have only been building sport specific stadiums recently.
In European, African, Asian and South American multi purpose stadiums the most common mix is the one of athletics and soccer. This mix has a long tradition and even found its entry into the rules of our big football assosiations. While the soccer rules theirselves allow a quite wide scale of pitch dimensions, the required size for European and World Cup stadia is 105 on 68 meters, or 115 x 75 yards. Why these "uneven" numbers? Why not 100 meters or 110, why not 110 or 120 yards? Because these 105x68 meters are the biggest possible area still fitting into the Oval of the 400 meter athletic track.

But things have changed:

In the last two decades, the idea of building multi purpose soccer and athletics stadia has become less and less common. When back in the Eighties, every city seemed to be afraid of missing something when not building an (at least) two purpose stadium, finally they realized that even when you can offer ten or fifteen athletic stadia with a 50.000+ capacity (like Germany could only 10 years ago), still you can only host one or two big athletic events every decade. In the whole country! What means most of these excellent athletic venues won't even see one single adequate athletic event.

So, in the last 10 years dozens of former athletic+soccer stadia have been transferred into soccer only venues.

To illustrate this trend, an example from Germany:

1988 European Championchips Host Cities: 8
Offering a "football only" stadium: 0
Offering an athletics stadium: 8

Same cities in 1999:
Offering a "football only" stadium: 0
Offering an athletics stadium: 8

Same cities today:
Offering a "football only" stadium: 7
Offering an athletics stadium: 1

Same cities 2011:
Offering a "football only" stadium: 8
Offering an athletics stadium: 0

Except for Berlin (which was not chosen for political reasons in 1988), these were the 8 biggest stadia of Germany, situated in the biggest and most important German cities.
This was still our "best of" selection ten years ago, but then, within just one decade, 7 of these 8 changed into - or were replaced by - "soccer only" stadia. And #8, Stuttgart, is just about to follow.
IcyUrmel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #42
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

and yet they keep building 50,000+ athletics venues.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #43
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Caine View Post
Retractable roof is only an issue in the north of Europe. I dont know why americans enjoy freezing temperatures and snow in the open, but we dont in Europe. Perhaps it's because you still got the sun (the US is much more south on the planet than Europe), but we like warmer weather if we're required to stay outside.
Football (gridiron) is a sport meant to be played in the elements. There are only 2 stadiums in Canada where teams play in domes and one of them is in Vancouver, a city with very mild temperatures by Canadian standards. A dome was built due to the amount of rain that city gets during football season.

I've stood in -15C for 3 hours during a blizzard with blowing winds to watch college football in Hamilton, Ontario. I admit that the weather was a little too harsh even for a Canadian, but football season ends in November in this country. A dome would only become a nice perk for perhaps the last 2 games of the season.

Despite the fact that most Canadians live between 42 and 52 degrees latitude just like most Europeans, we're used to far colder temperatures in winter. -5C in late autumn isn't going to deter most of us from watching football in an outdoor stadium.

Canada's 10 largest capacity stadiums:

Montreal: Olympic Stadium - 66,308 Canadian football
Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium - 60,081 Canadian football and athletics track
Vancouver: BC Place - 59,478 Canadian football
Toronto: Skydome (Rogers Centre) - 52,595 Canadian football and baseball
Calgary: McMahon Stadium - 35,650 Canadian football

Regina: Mosaic Stadium - 30,945 Canadian football
Winnipeg: Canad Inns Stadium - 29,533 Canadian football
Hamilton: Ivor Wynne Stadium - 28,830 Canadian football
Toronto: BMO Field - 20,500 Soccer
Montreal: Molson Stadium - 20,202 Canadian football

BC Place is a dome, but will be retrofitted with a partial roof after the Olympics in 2010. The Skydome (Roger's Centre) has a retractable roof. All the others are open air. Commonwealth Stadium is the only large stadium with an athletics track.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 5th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:03 AM   #44
Huskies

Likes (Received): 50

Black nets

okay i know this thread is slightly lame, but this thing really pisses me off ..

why oh why do so many soccer games nowadays have black net in the goal ? like last years champions league final and Euro 2008 ( thankfully they switched to white in the knockout stage , anybody know why they did that ?) . with the black net , you can barely see the net , and the first thing that makes you react GOAL is seeing the net shake ... with those stupid black nets you just se the ball go towards the goal and fall down , and after a second or so , you realise its a goal.. i mean even the tv announcer needs to think a while before he screams goal ..

does anybody agree with me on that black nets suck and can completley ruin a great goal ?

Last edited by Huskies; May 21st, 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Huskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:42 AM   #45
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Never seen such nets, Any pics?
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:47 AM   #46
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

He's got a point

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM   #47
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

From that angle, they look good, actually. What I really hate is when the hang nets from the roof to the playing ground below, like this :

image hosted on flickr

This was a temporary measurement, for "safety reasons" but later it was removed.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM   #48
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies View Post
okay i know this thread is slightly lame, but this thing really pisses me off ..

why oh why do so many soccer games nowadays have black net in the goal ? like last years champions league final and Euro 2008 ( thankfully they switched to white in the knockout stage , anybody know why they did that ?) . with the black net , you can barely see the net , and the first thing that makes you react GOAL is seeing the net shake ... with those stupid black nets you just se the ball go towards the goal and fall down , and after a second or so , you realise its a goal.. i mean even the tv announcer needs to think a while before he screams goal ..

does anybody agree with me on that black nets suck and can completley ruin a great goal ?

You answered your own question. For spectators behind the goal the black netting is easier to see through because dark colours are less distracting. Bright white nets are annoying to see through
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM   #49
Mo Rush

Stadium Design Ideas

Ever thought that a certain shape or colour or design or object would look great as a stadium or part of a stadium?

Note: This is not a design 3-d stadium design thread.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #50
Mo Rush

This temporary Pavillion design by Zaha Hadid, would look great if it was wrapped around a stadium like a glowing shell.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #51
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

I always thought that if done correctly, a brick, steel, concrete and glass exterior looks great. Thats a pretty typical American design though.

I think its time that more and more stadiums are built with solar energy in mind.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM   #52
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
I always thought that if done correctly, a brick, steel, concrete and glass exterior looks great. Thats a pretty typical American design though.

I think its time that more and more stadiums are built with solar energy in mind.
Agreed.

Kaohsiung is a big step in the right direction.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #53
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Agreed.

Kaohsiung is a big step in the right direction.
Yes, but its not that pretty. Nice concept but the dark colour is not very appealing.

Stadia should have elements of solar energy use incorporate into the design but an entire stadium should not be wrapped in solar panels to achieve this.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #54
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Yes, but its not that pretty. Nice concept but the dark colour is not very appealing.

Stadia should have elements of solar energy use incorporate into the design but an entire stadium should not be wrapped in solar panels to achieve this.
I always thought that if you covered a roof in panels it would be a nice start, but it would have to be a BIG roof.
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #55
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Really, you think so? I have to disagree, the exterior looks nothing 'soviet'.
It does give off the imposing aura that Soviet architecture always had.

It's not a bad thing when you think that the Soviets, architecturally at least, had very good ideas.
trmather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #56
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

I guess foreigners think differently of Soviet architecture than we, Ukrainians, do. For us it's mostly about crumbling, concrete craphouses.

This stadium is arguably the most anti-soviet structure in Ukraine
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #57
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post
I guess foreigners think differently of Soviet architecture than we, Ukrainians, do. For us it's mostly about crumbling, concrete craphouses.

Yea i agree, and also for the stadiums. The soviet stadiums dont have a roof, they have 4 light projectors on the sides, dirty plastic seats and some more. This stadium is completely different to the soviet stadiums.

We Are Ready - Ми Готові - Jesteśmy Gotowi
█████████
█████████
NMAISTER007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #58
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAISTER007 View Post
This stadium is completely different to the soviet stadiums.
Oh, you are very "smart" to compare architecture of XXI century with architecture of XX century, more than 50 years older minimum.

The absence of roof, light projectors.. was the feature of stadium architecture of those times. And this is NOT bad. Just technology, architecture wasn't so developed, it's a normal process. pffff.. Why I must explain elementary things?))

ROME 1960

TOKYO 1964

MEXICO 1968

Just interesting, NMAISTER007, do you at least THINK sometimes before posting million comments without sense? Seems like you specially want to blackmail Russia using lies or misinformation. Or you are really so stupid? This poor provocations will change nothing, remember it.

Or maybe you are blind and don't see how Ukrainian economic is collapsing, and Ushenko have 2-3% rating? And now compare it to Russia. Feel the difference?

So, you, kid, must stop this provocations and hate. This actions ruining conversation about stadiums and replacing it by poor blackmailing someone or something, based on nothing. Especially when it's about two slavic countries, which American puppet try to quarrel, using the same tactic as in Jugoslavia.
poxuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:21 AM   #59
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post

I can see where you're coming from.

To me, Soviet buildings always seemed to be designed to show off absolute power, but I've never lived with these buildings, or with the Soviet regimes so I can imagine personal experience would paint a very different picture.
trmather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #60
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Why did HOK Sport Venue Event change its name to Populous?

I have yet to learn the reason why HOK Sport Venue Event change its name to Populous. You may know Populous better as a series of video games. The company split from the main architectural firm Hellmuth Obata Kassabaum sometime before the name change. I myself hate the new name because of fears that they will design things non-sports related and it gets annoying of having to see the new name on names of projects done before the name change.

Populous the architects- Good company, good stadium design, bad name.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium