daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #61
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Why was my question merged into this thread? It's not right since the question wasn't about new stadium or arena development thread. It is impossible to demerge a single post from a thread. And worst of all, my question didn't get answered.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #62
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post

I think its time that more and more stadiums are built with solar energy in mind.
The new stand at the Schuco Arena in Bielefeld, Germany has solar panels in the roof that help power the stand. I'm sure there are others, but that's the only one I've been given a tour of and had specifically pointed out.

The black nets are to help people behind the goal see the rest of the game. Sitting in the front row behind the goal sucks unless the ball is in the six yard box, because you can't see anything. It's even worse when the net is white, as it is very distracting.

Terraces=atmosphere. In Europe and the UK especially, a large amount of fans want to see safe-standing areas re-introduced into grounds. It's harder to get people singing when they are all sitting down. As nice as new grounds are, I'd rather watch a game at La Bombonera in Buenos Aires than in the Emirates stadium in London.

image hosted on flickr

Is football alone in this ideal of the 'traditional' stadium?
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:37 AM   #63
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

whats your definition of a traditional stadium?
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #64
Andre«B
Andre«B

Likes (Received): 3

There's no exact model for a "traditional stadium". That depends on a taking a place and a moment in history.

In the last decades of football, the trend is on building stadiums with a "good experience" for the fan. That means proximity to the game field, good view perspective, good infrastructure... and a lot more. That means football-specific stadiums, without athletics track.

Here in Brazil we still suffer from the 1960's stadia fever, where too many were built, usually with a oval ou circular shape (so more people could fit in). That is outdated, and Brazil will need major investment on stadiums for World Cup 2014.

Our tradition is based on watching the game stading, jumping, singing 100% of the match time (and I like that), but a cultural change will also be necessary, in the way of defining the areas for standing and siting. Thatīs a BIG challenge. I like very much the german tradition, with seating and standing areas co-existing.
---------
Sorry for the poor english.
Andre«B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:00 PM   #65
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
I like stadiums that are distinctive, not necessarily the best designed or the most comfortable. Atmosphere is the most important thing. I also think it's important that their is a 'home' end. Every team used to have their equivalent of the Kop, the Holte End or the Stretford End, and that's now been lost. I support Crystal Palace, and while Selhurst Park may be a pretty dingy, horrible ground, I would say it counts as a traditional ground.

image hosted on flickr

I love the old fashioned roof on the Main stand (the one with the Custom sponsor on it) particularly, and the Holmesdale Road Stand certainly counts as a home end!

In England, most clubs building new stadiums are stuck with soulless one tier bowls in industrial estates that their fans hate. You can't tell the difference from ground to ground except for the colour of the seats.

Cardiff City:

Southampton:

Almost identical. There a load of stadiums very similar, but with one side stand having an extra tier.

Hull City:

Reading:

Derby County:

Coventry City:

They are all nice, clean stadiums with a good view; but it takes away part of the fun of going to away games, if no matter where in the country you go it always looks the same. It's a shame because Cardiff City's Ninian Park, Derby County's Baseball Ground and Southampton's The Dell were all intimidating places for other teams to go. I don't mean in terms of violence, but the atmosphere created combined with each stadium's unique style and setting certainly had an effect. I give a lot of credit to Bristol City, who are trying to design their new stadium with a more unique feel in an effort to try and preserve some of the Ashton Gate atmosphere.
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:25 PM   #66
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
This is my definition of a traditional stadium:

If you watch these clips you'll easily notice, that the major difference between historic and new szenes is that the new ones are all in colour.
Oh and yes, I allmost forgot, you also have far less people up in the posts of the floodlights nowadays. Watching a match in that good old stadium was almost like making a little timetrip back into the fifties.
Old August 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #67
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I have yet to learn the reason why HOK Sport Venue Event change its name to Populous. You may know Populous better as a series of video games. The company split from the main architectural firm Hellmuth Obata Kassabaum sometime before the name change. I myself hate the new name because of fears that they will design things non-sports related and it gets annoying of having to see the new name on names of projects done before the name change.

Populous the architects- Good company, good stadium design, bad name.
HOK S+V+E was branch of HOK, which is one of the largest firms in the world. The sports division based out of Kanas City split off from HOK in a mutual decision as HOK was looking to tighten its belt and HOK SVE was looking for autonomy and creative control. So after the split earlier this year they rebranded themselves Populous. I don't think they are looking to go beyond their current scope of sports related design at the moment, but you never know.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #68
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Those arguments aside, I still refuse to call that company by its new name. Why did they even choose that name, anyway?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #69

Likes (Received): 1439

Reflective Sound Material?

Qwest Field in Seattle is built with a certain type of material that reflects and enhances sound. That makes the cheers sound alot more than it would noemally do.
Apparently this has payed of for Seattle since they have the highest referee decisions in favor of the home team than any other venue.

My question is:
Has any other stadium in the NFL or ellswhere used this material? It seems stupid not to. Who dosent want a loud stadium?
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #70
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Qwest Field in Seattle is built with a certain type of material that reflects and enhances sound. That makes the cheers sound alot more than it would noemally do.
Apparently this has payed of for Seattle since they have the highest referee decisions in favor of the home team than any other venue.

My question is:
Has any other stadium in the NFL or ellswhere used this material? It seems stupid not to. Who dosent want a loud stadium?
the material is called BirdAir. Many stadiums including Cowboys Stadium and, Reliant and Paul Brown use it. Its not just the material that makes Qwest loud on the field, but the angle at which the roofs face the field. The Cowboys Stadium sound engineer talked about it on Sports Take. Any old roof angle doesn't work, and some materials absorb a lot of sound. But he said, there's always some compromise with how a stadium is designed as far as noise and that the fans still have to be loud.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
the material is called BirdAir. Many stadiums including Cowboys Stadium and, Reliant and Paul Brown use it. Its not just the material that makes Qwest loud on the field, but the angle at which the roofs face the field. The Cowboys Stadium sound engineer talked about it on Sports Take. Any old roof angle doesn't work, and some materials absorb a lot of sound. But he said, there's always some compromise with how a stadium is designed as far as noise and that the fans still have to be loud.
Cool, thanks!
And while we're at the subject;

Why does many NFL-stadiums have none or very small short ends?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM   #72
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
And while we're at the subject;

Why does many NFL-stadiums have none or very small short ends?
American Football is best watched from the sidelines. Theres really no need to put a lot of seats at the ends.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #73
Livno80101
studying

What would you say about this ''beauty'' ???

stadium reconstruction started in 1998 for 1999 military games, and this is result...............I dont know what idiot has designed this, because now they cant put stands together, no order, nothing is same, entrances are hardly 2 m wide, so many matches stands are closed (those on right side of pic, west upper and north upper), there are no toilets..........and stadium's cost is around 60-70 M euros for nothing, and as Zagreb mayor told they will have to spend 150 M more to finish it........ + 200 M euros for 10k seater stadium so Dinamo can play there until this is finished
Livno80101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #74
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

200 million for a 10k seater, is it made out of gold ?
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #75
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

It doesn't matter anyway though! For Zagreb games they can give the curved stand to the away fans and open the north & west lower stands for the Ultras & executives respectively!

No-one else turns up to watch do they?

Going to lose a bit of revenue for international matches but not having a specific stadium for the national team to play in isn't great anyway. Sharing a stadium with a club rarely works well.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #76
Livno80101
studying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
200 million for a 10k seater, is it made out of gold ?
well, I dont know, but it is published so.........200 M for 10k seater for Dinamo to play on while Maksimir is renovated, and later would be used by some other Zagreb club..........
Livno80101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
American Football is best watched from the sidelines. Theres really no need to put a lot of seats at the ends.
Well, I suppose all sport is best watched from sidelines

But with the pressure on tickets in the NFL, the stadiums shouldn't have a problem filling up the ends.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #78
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Well, I suppose all sport is best watched from sidelines

But with the pressure on tickets in the NFL, the stadiums shouldn't have a problem filling up the ends.
But if you can put a majority of the seats on the sideline and minimize the end seats, why wouldnt you?
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #79
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Then you wouldn't have home and away ends.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #80
Andre«B
Andre«B

NFL is not like football (soccer)... Fans are not separated by team... You can just buy your seat and support your team, with no fear of violence... There are no 'ultras' in north-american sports...

North-americans see the game more like entertainment... Europeans and South Americans are more passional into sports...
Andre«B no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium