daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #121
JJG

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywondergod View Post
It's because the European and American game is so different in terms of fans. Us Europeans will go for some food and drink, watch the game without breaks for 45mins until half time then go and have some more food and drink before then watch the last 45 mins. American Football and Baseball is so different. It's a game with plenty of breaks to go and grab food, which means the last thing you want is to be at a food stall and miss the game, open concourses mean that isn't the case. Both games have to be put into context. But as a European NFL fan, I totally get the way it is done in America and Europe. It makes perfect sense in both.
I don't really think that has anything to do with it. It's more of not having the view blocked by seats and having the corridor feel more open and even flowing.
JJG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #122
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

See this people? Opening the concourse gives a nice feel while walking around the stadium. That's it. It looks nice. Don't look too far into it.

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #123
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 224

An "open concourse" is one thing. A "split upper deck" is another.

In baseball, many recent stadiums have been built with a split upper deck--Citi Field, NYS, Busch Stadium, Citizens Bank park, Target Field and Nationals Park.

But in the NFL, none of the stadiums, including the recently built stadiums, feature a split upper deck--they all use the traditional upper deck with the narrow tunnels being the only "view to the field" from the concourse.

Any opinions on why the NFL stadiums upper decks are "closed to the field" while so many MLB stadiums are "open"?
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #124
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
In short, the appropriateness of open concourses depends on the given location.
my point exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Yeah I'm sure they have a LOT of events going on when it's that cold

Be realistic
Check the weather in Piter, then the event calendar. Then argue...
Even in Poland we have some games played in snow and really low temperatures during the year despite having a milder climate than many parts of Russia that have professional football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't really think that has anything to do with it. It's more of not having the view blocked by seats and having the corridor feel more open and even flowing.
It has quite a lot to do with it. The way of experiencing a football game in Europe seems to be completely different. I would not imagine to enjoy standing in the concourse and watching anything from there. It's a place you go ONLY when there is nothing other going on. So why would anyone need an open view if there is nothing to watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Opening the concourse gives a nice feel while walking around the stadium. That's it. It looks nice. Don't look too far into it.
Sounds fair But that does not make it a necessity and would still not always make the game experience that pleasurable.
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #125
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post

It has quite a lot to do with it. The way of experiencing a football game in Europe seems to be completely different. I would not imagine to enjoy standing in the concourse and watching anything from there. It's a place you go ONLY when there is nothing other going on. So why would anyone need an open view if there is nothing to watch?
Who said anything about standing in the concourse to watch the game?

The reason their open here is because of how cramped people feel walking around. The fact that it's open makes you feel like you're not missing anything.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #126
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post

Any opinions on why the NFL stadiums upper decks are "closed to the field" while so many MLB stadiums are "open"?
The weather.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #127
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
An "open concourse" is one thing. A "split upper deck" is another.

In baseball, many recent stadiums have been built with a split upper deck--Citi Field, NYS, Busch Stadium, Citizens Bank park, Target Field and Nationals Park.

But in the NFL, none of the stadiums, including the recently built stadiums, feature a split upper deck--they all use the traditional upper deck with the narrow tunnels being the only "view to the field" from the concourse.

Have you ever been to, or seen Gillette Stadium? The lower bowl features an open concourse and the upper tier has a split like you see in the baseball stadiums you alluded to.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #128
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Who said anything about standing in the concourse to watch the game?

The reason their open here is because of how cramped people feel walking around. The fact that it's open makes you feel like you're not missing anything.
Who said about missing anything if there is nothing going on during the break? I don't particularily enjoy a very narrow and aobstructed view of the people I see during the game while they do absolutely nothing. While I see you mean this as an advantage.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #129
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Have you ever been to, or seen Gillette Stadium? The lower bowl features an open concourse and the upper tier has a split like you see in the baseball stadiums you alluded to.
Gillette Stadium is the only NFL stadium with an open upper deck. Quite different from MLB where it seems to be the norm for new stadiums.
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #130
pregersthehobo

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Gillette Stadium is the only NFL stadium with an open upper deck. Quite different from MLB where it seems to be the norm for new stadiums.
How many have the reverse? Mile High Stadium has the upper concourse open on the opposite side from the field, so you can see the city, mountains etc...just not into the seating bowl. Is that common for others?
pregersthehobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #131
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:

Be realistic
As crazy as that sounds, they actually do. Remember that St Petersburg sits on the 60th latitude, that is over a 1000 miles more to the north than for example Minneapolis.

In Russia some bandy matches are played in minus 35 to minus 40 degrees, I shit you not
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #132
michał_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gincan View Post
As crazy as that sounds, they actually do. Remember that St Petersburg sits on the 60th latitude, that is over a 1000 miles more to the north than for example Minneapolis.

In Russia some bandy matches are played in minus 35 to minus 40 degrees, I shit you not
Not mentioning that for example Spartak Moskva is building two stadiums - one for the regular weather games and one (smaller and fully covered arena) for those played in harsh winter condsitions. Of course there's more to it (the smaller will be used for rugby and other events in between), but still that has to ring a bell.
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM   #133
NesC

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:

Be realistic
Actually even football is played all year around in Europe. Almost all countries in Europe have seasons between August-May. Both the Champions League and Europa League is played during the winter with games in December and February.
NesC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:17 AM   #134
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
Who said about missing anything if there is nothing going on during the break? I don't particularily enjoy a very narrow and aobstructed view of the people I see during the game while they do absolutely nothing. While I see you mean this as an advantage.
No... I'm not talking about breaks at all. The feeling of being walled off is just unattractive.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #135
kaz03

Likes (Received): 9

Why Doesn't the U.S take any chances when it comes to stadium architecture?

Why are American stadiums so bland? It seems like when other countries think of building stadiums they immediately try to catch the world attention with unique out of the box ideas for architecture. While when American cities think of how many luxury boxes they can fit into their design and what fast food vender they should carry and when it comes to architecture they say oh well i would rather have people have nothing to say about it than have them saying something bad about it. Here are some stadiums that represent the world and the U.S.

The Birds Nest is a perfect example of architecture around the world, this stadium caught the worlds attention this is something the U.S is lacking.

This stadium, the New Meadowlands stadium is a typical U.S stadium. This stadium is a square block of mediocre architecture. This stadium with its bland exterior situated in parking lot central managed to cost about 800million more than the Birds Nest.

Soldier field, one of the few U.S stadium designs that actually had thought for uniqueness in it. This stadium was build inside the old soldier fields shell has been criticized people calling it an eye sore on Chicago's lakefront even losing its historic building honors but it is still considered a huge financial success. This is probably a big reason why other cities don't take chances on unique stadium designs and it is a shame because the U.S could use more stadiums that are not typical U.S stadiums with there bland box exterior.

That is my opinion on U.S stadium design. What are your opinions on the U.S's stadiums compared to world stadium and how can the U.S change this and become a center for stadium architecture?
kaz03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #136
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4203

The Bird's Nest was built for the Olympics, which is the world's biggest stage. It was meant to be an eye-catcher because billions of people would see it on TV as the centerpiece of the Games. MetLife Stadium, on the other hand, is meant to be for locals and local events. It's also supposed to be multi-purpose, hosting two football teams and hundreds of concerts, to start.

One thing you will have to explain is your definition of bland and out-of-the-box. Where does Cowboys Stadium or the University of Phoenix Stadium fall? The latter has a dynamic look to it and also features a retractable field that can get natural sunlight, then get wheeled into the stadium. Where do baseball stadiums fall? They are unique by definition since there's no standard for field dimensions.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #137
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

brb University of Phoenix Stadium
brb Soldier Field
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #138
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

America has led the world in Stadium design and evolution throughout the 20th century. They no longer have anything to prove. These days its about functionality while maximizing club seating and corporate facilities. Plus downtown stadiums should fit into the character of the locality as opposed to competing with it. Stand alone Stadiums on Greenfield sites are more appropriate for "grand" architectural expression and the US did that in the 60's and 70's with the likes of Dodger Stadium, the Astrodome and Arrowhead Stadium / Kauffman Field in Kansas City. Others like Qualcomm Stadium, Giants Stadium and the Silverdome didn't age as well but they were non the less grand and ground breaking in their time.
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #139
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Is this a troll thread?
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #140
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

I just think the OP doesn't have much knowledge of US stadiums or world stadiums really. I could say most places don't take many chances. Japan is truly the risk taker of any great number. Elsewhere in the world there really aren't that many chances.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, european, roof, stadium