daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5256

Convoys Wharf | Deptford | 116m/91m/72m | 40/32/26fl | Approved

Just updating the London summary and I notice we don't have a thread for these. A trio of residential towers in Deptford, just south of the Isle of Dogs. Architect is Richard Rogers. The AOD height of the tallest one is 148m.

--

Officer Dibble liked this post
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #2
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

This s a very old approved project now isnt it? Look at the renders of CW..there is no Pan P etc.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 146

I love this proposal, but I can't see it being built after such a long time. And certainly not now. The developers missed their chance.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1740

Im sure we have a thread for these - I remember having a discussion about this project.Its not happening because the site is safeguarded wharf or something.
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 240

We've discussed Convoy's Wharf quite a bit on the SE London thread, and have seen all those renders there - but if it's going ahead then it certainly deserves its own thread.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Brightonboi
Rule Britannia !

Likes (Received): 4

I really like these towers i hope they do go ahead
Brightonboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #7
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1519

Didn't they get ditched because EH said they were unacceptable in the view of Tower Bridge from London Bridge?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8
london lad

Likes (Received): 426

Im pretty sure this got outline permission although im sure EH probably weren't happy with them.

Hutchison Whampoa are the developers but not sure whats happening with it now. As OD says info has been posted in the SE thread.

Will probably be a rather short thread for a good few years yet.
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9
bazzup

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Im pretty sure this got outline permission although im sure EH probably weren't happy with them.

Hutchison Whampoa are the developers but not sure whats happening with it now. As OD says info has been posted in the SE thread.

Will probably be a rather short thread for a good few years yet.
This was called in by the GLA, who are reviewing the protected status of "working" wharves. I believe it's still considering the matter. Ho hum.
bazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

Very stylish.
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #11
citybus

Likes (Received): 49

Is that a tram I see in the first pic. Surely the DLR isnt on the ground through this site?
citybus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Nightjar
Bird

Likes (Received): 2644

Oh my God - I agree with The Sage!
Nightjar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #13
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1740

And I hoped for some good news but instead I got a pointless post.....
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Yorkshire Boy
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
And I hoped for some good news but instead I got a pointless post.....
Shame on you
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #15
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1519

A gucci ghetto housing development designed by one architect in a modern style? I wonder if Charlie will stick his oar in this one.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #16
potto

Likes (Received): 1618

it would look good in Chelsea actually.
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #17
london lad

Likes (Received): 426

Good & bad news.

Good- Looks like they developers want to get cracking
Bad- Rogers dropped and new scheme to go in.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mothballed £700m Deptford housing scheme on track
Building.co.uk
06 November 2009

Plans for the £700m 3,500-home Convoys Wharf scheme in Deptford, south-east London, which floundered during the downturn, are back on track, as its new developer prepares to submit revised plans this month

Chinese corporation Hutchison Whampoa, which bought the 16ha site from News International in 2008, will make only minor amendments to the original 2005 masterplan by Richard Rogers Partnership. One of the biggest developments in the Thames Gateway, the plan included three towers of between 26 and 40 storeys, nearly 338,000m2 of residential development, 73,000m2 of offices and 7,000m2 of retail. The revised proposal will need to be approved by the mayor of London.

The Chinese firm, which has its roots in the dockyards of 19th-century Hong Kong, will start consulting with local residents over the next few weeks.

The new developer has brought in Aedas to replace Rogers’ practice – now known as Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners – as the architect.

Mace and Hornagold & Hills were rumoured to be in the running to project manage Convoys Wharf in 2007 before the scheme was mothballed. Other consultants on the project were Buro Happold, Faithful + Gould, Bell Fisher and Montagu Evans.

Raymond Chow, managing director of Hutchinson Whampoa’s property group, said he was hugely excited by the submission. A spokesperson said it hoped to get back on site as soon as the planning process allowed.

The brownfield land was originally used by News International to receive imported paper. It is on the site of a former royal dockyard used to build ships for King Henry VIII’s navy.
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #18
delores

Likes (Received): 150

oh dear. Aedas? cheap basically.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #19
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 11832

Public exhibition for Convoys Wharf development plans
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/47...lopment_plans/
Wednesday 25th November 2009

Quote:

By Dan Keel

A PUBLIC exhibition is to be held on proposals for a new development featuring 3,500 new houses and 4,600 sq m of restaurants and bars.

Residents are invited to the Convoys Wharf site in New Kings Street, Deptford, from 10am to 4pm on December 5, with a further meeting taking place on December 8 from 2pm to 8pm.

People will get the chance to quiz developers Hutchison Whampoa on their £700m plans for the wharf site which include around 26,300 sq m of office space, 23,500 sq m for leisure activities and 6,300 sq m for new shops.

The new development is expected to create 1,000 new construction jobs and a further 2,000 new jobs when the site is up and running.

Managing director of the property group, Raymond Chow, said: “This is a hugely exciting project for Lewisham and the wider Thames Gateway area.

"We are looking forward to working with Lewisham Council, the Greater London Authority, and the local community to understand their aspirations for Convoys Wharf and how we can create a fantastic new future for this historic London location.

”I would encourage everyone in the local community to come along and view the proposals and talk to members of the development team.”

Lewisham Council granted outline planning permission to the site's previous owners, newspaper publisher News International, for similar proposals in 2005.

Hutchison Whampoa has since bought the site and is considering some changes to the application which it plans to submit to the council in the coming months.

Convoys Wharf was the first ever Royal Dockyard, established by Henry VIII in 1513 to build ships for the Royal Navy.

In 1923 a director of the News of the World newspaper bought the site and began to import paper.

Eventually the site and the newspaper came into the ownership of News International.

-
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #20
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
oh dear. Aedas? cheap basically.
Aedas are a pretty decent architecture firm, I've been trying to get work exp. with them for a while now.

The quality of a project like this is usually completely reliant on the size of the budget. It's a pity the old scheme was dropped - I hope Aedas copy it!
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: