daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > North Africa > Maroc > Other Discussions > Polling Station

View Poll Results: A qui devraient revenir Sebta, Melilia et les îlots méditerranéens?
Maroc 40 61.54%
Espagne 14 21.54%
C'est aux habitants des 2 villes d'en décider 11 16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1941
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Let me explain in English the situation of these islands and cities. Maybe it could be interesting for any forumer to learn about them and, obviously entitled to their own opinion.

I've said islands and cities because their status is completely different.

The two cities are considered "autonomous cities". The Spanish constitution (1978) considers all the regions as autonomous regions (or autonomous communities as official name). They are regions with self parliament, self administration, etc... and each region has its own status. For instance, Basque country has its own police for everything except border control and main issues
But these two cities have a status with self autonomy. Nothing special but when the constitution was written... they should have consider these cases.
Let's consider the issue of education. There is an education system but decission about teachers, school, etc... are taken by each region. And in the case of these two cities... it is the own ministry who manages this kind of issues there. Just because it is not considered a region.
In fact I would state that if they would be upgraded to autonomous regions instead of cities, some politicians would avoid a nightmare.

Looking to the word colony and how the UN consider it... it requires to have a territory separated from mainland and with different laws than in the mainland.
Considering that laws to apply are the same ones and because the status, they are the two cities more managed by the "mainland government"... I think that the word "colony" is not the most accurate.
(in fact, several policitians have said that their regions are colonies and that stuff... but I am talking about several historical regions in Spain).

Looking to the islands... the status is absolutely different. Quite, quite different.

All territory in Spain is part of a municipality, managed by a major (maire) and with its town hall (hôtel de ville).
Either little islands.
For instance, these islands are part of Vigo (and BTW, a national park), these ones are from Teguise, Formentera is a whole municipality itself (all villages in the island are the same one).

But... islands close to Africa, to my best knowledge are not part of any municipality (maybe someones I should have to check). They are just managed by the Defense ministry. They have no specific laws because nobody lives there.

I expect these administration information should help someone and I apologize because writting in English. I'm learning French but not enough yet to write so much

Sponsored Links

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1942
El-Sahraoui

Likes (Received): 2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Let me explain in English the situation of these islands and cities. Maybe it could be interesting for any forumer to learn about them and, obviously entitled to their own opinion.

I've said islands and cities because their status is completely different.

The two cities are considered "autonomous cities". The Spanish constitution (1978) considers all the regions as autonomous regions (or autonomous communities as official name). They are regions with self parliament, self administration, etc... and each region has its own status. For instance, Basque country has its own police for everything except border control and main issues
But these two cities have a status with self autonomy. Nothing special but when the constitution was written... they should have consider these cases.
Let's consider the issue of education. There is an education system but decission about teachers, school, etc... are taken by each region. And in the case of these two cities... it is the own ministry who manages this kind of issues there. Just because it is not considered a region.
In fact I would state that if they would be upgraded to autonomous regions instead of cities, some politicians would avoid a nightmare.

Looking to the word colony and how the UN consider it... it requires to have a territory separated from mainland and with different laws than in the mainland.
Considering that laws to apply are the same ones and because the status, they are the two cities more managed by the "mainland government"... I think that the word "colony" is not the most accurate.
(in fact, several policitians have said that their regions are colonies and that stuff... but I am talking about several historical regions in Spain).

Looking to the islands... the status is absolutely different. Quite, quite different.

All territory in Spain is part of a municipality, managed by a major (maire) and with its town hall (hôtel de ville).
Either little islands.
For instance, these islands are part of Vigo (and BTW, a national park), these ones are from Teguise, Formentera is a whole municipality itself (all villages in the island are the same one).

But... islands close to Africa, to my best knowledge are not part of any municipality (maybe someones I should have to check). They are just managed by the Defense ministry. They have no specific laws because nobody lives there.

I expect these administration information should help someone and I apologize because writting in English. I'm learning French but not enough yet to write so much
In three words:

"They are colonized"
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #1943
AceOfSpades
Body of light

Likes (Received): 676

Sebta and Mellila aren't colonies and are definitely not Moroccans .
Old November 12th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #1944
El-Sahraoui

Likes (Received): 2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
SoubhanAllah.

Finalement le plus gros obstacle a la resolution de certains probléme du Maroc, c'est le marocain lui-même.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #1945
jack_shooter

Likes (Received): 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMor View Post
Nous avons décidé de changer le titre avec Gadiri et adamelstar, vous avez des propositions? Un truc neutre sans provoc'.
Sebta/Ceuta, Melilia/Melilla/Mritch and Mediterranean islets.

This is the most neutral title.

No need to create useless and foolish controversies. Everybody was ok with the title till a disgraced ex-moderator suddenly reappeared after years of inactivity, and now he's acting like he owns the place.

This is an international forum, so cordiality, respect, and neutrality should prevail.

Last edited by jack_shooter; November 12th, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
jack_shooter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1946
jack_shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
The best solution for both cities is to grant them a status similar to that of Gibraltar, something more than a mere autonomy. When Spain claims "the rock" it's the local government that responds to these verbal attacks on the sovereignty of Gibralatarians, ...sparing the UK from the inconvenience of getting involved and damaging its relations with another EU member.

Like I said several times here, only Gibraltarians can decide for themselves, and only Ceuties and Melillenses can have a say in all matters that affect them.

The-s liked this post

Last edited by jack_shooter; November 12th, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #1947
AceOfSpades
Body of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Sahraoui View Post
SoubhanAllah.

Finalement le plus gros obstacle a la resolution de certains probléme du Maroc, c'est le marocain lui-même.
Aji dbe7ni .
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1948
doukali

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_shooter View Post
The best solution for both cities is to grant them a status similar to that of Gibraltar, something more than a mere autonomy. When Spain claims "the rock" it's the local government that responds to these verbal attacks on the sovereignty of Gibralatarians, ...sparing the UK from the inconvenience of getting involved and damaging its relations with another EU member.

Like I said several times here, only Gibraltarians can decide for themselves, and only Ceuties and Melillenses can have a say in all matters that affect them.
Agree. Makes sense.

The UK is putting the responsibility on to the Government of Gibraltar and if one day this last one decide on a course that is contradictory to the UK strategic interests then the UK government of the day will make sure that it is the UK interests that will prevail.

The same thing will happen for Sebta and Melilia as the majority of its inhabitants would prefer to maintain the status-quo and if one day due to a shift in population, the inhabitants of these 2 cities decide to join Morocco then the government of Spain will make sure the act to protect their interests, which could to actually allow them to join Morocco!!!! See the examples of Hong-Kong and Macau
doukali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1949
jack_shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukali View Post
The same thing will happen for Sebta and Melilia as the majority of its inhabitants would prefer to maintain the status-quo and if one day due to a shift in population, the inhabitants of these 2 cities decide to join Morocco then the government of Spain will make sure the act to protect their interests, which could to actually allow them to join Morocco!!!! See the examples of Hong-Kong and Macau
Sebta/Ceuta and Melilia/Melilla already have a Muslim majority (all of them Spanish citizens),....but they're all staunchly pro-Spain, the proof,....both autonomous cities vote massively for the Right-wing Popular Party (70%), more than any region in Spain.

Si it would take much more than a mere demographic shift (which already happened a long time ago)...to convince the populations of these enclaves that being part of Spain is not in their best interest.

Same thing happens with Gibraltar, I think one third of the population are of Spanish origins (many of them descendents of Republicans that fled Franco dictatorship),...but they're all (more than 99% as the last sovereignty referendum showed) pro-UK.

Last edited by jack_shooter; November 12th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1950
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Titre mis à jour.

Quote:
Sebta/Ceuta, Melilia/Melilla/Mritch and Mediterranean islets.

This is the most neutral title.

No need to create useless and foolish controversies. Everybody was ok with the title till a disgraced ex-moderator suddenly reappeared after years of inactivity, and now he's acting like he owns the place.

This is an international forum, so cordiality, respect, and neutrality should prevail.
Mais on est d'accord que pour nous, les marocains, il est plus politiquement correct de mettre un titre qui privilégie la position marocaine.
CasaMor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #1951
AceOfSpades
Body of light

Quote:
Sebta/Ceuta and Melilia/Melilla have already a Muslim majority (all of them Spanish citizens),....but they're all staunchly pro-Spain, the proof,....both autonomous cities vote massively for the Right-wing Popular Party (70%), more than any region in Spain.

Si it would take much more than a mere demographic shift (which already happened a long time ago)...to convince the populations of these enclaves that being part of Spain is not in their best interest.

Same thing happens with Gibraltar, I think one third of the population are of Spanish origins (many of them descendents of Republicans that fled Franco dictatorship),...but they're all (more than 99% as the last sovereignty referendum showed) pro-UK.
Then why do Moroccans want to get these cities back ?!
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1952
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Vote!
CasaMor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1953
adamelstar

Likes (Received): 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
Quote:
Sebta/Ceuta and Melilia/Melilla have already a Muslim majority (all of them Spanish citizens),....but they're all staunchly pro-Spain, the proof,....both autonomous cities vote massively for the Right-wing Popular Party (70%), more than any region in Spain.

Same thing happens with Gibraltar, I think one third of the population are of Spanish origins (many of them descendents of Republicans that fled Franco dictatorship),...but they're all (more than 99% as the last sovereignty
referendum showed) pro-UK.
Le Sahara n'est pas Marocain dans ce cas, il n'est pas reconnu comme Marocains, et la majorité des Sahraouis sont pour l'indépendance, il faut etre cohérent entre les faits et les conséquences dans son discours.