daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #741
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Both cities have amazing pre-war buildings. Chicago's is less well known than NYC's, especially to people who are from outside the US and who don't have a good knowledge of late 19th century and early 20th century architecture.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #742
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Both cities have different strengths in pre-war buildings. For the Art Deco towers, no city in the world holds a candle to New York. Where Chicago wins is in the oldest skyscrapers, in the rich cluster of turn of the century buildings just south of the Loop and scattered gems that helped create the skyscraper, like the Rookery Building and Monadnock Building.

Also, both cities have similar preserved stretches. New York has Wall Street, Chicago has LaSalle Street. New York has Central Park South, Chicago has Michigan Avenue along Grant Park.

Highcliff liked this post
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #743
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Realistically? Lol, you mean in your opinion. Maybe you should visit an Art Deco thread and find out where the most beautiful and also tallest pre war towers are located... begin with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor..._New_York_City

There's absolutely no contest here. NY dwarfs Chicago by a large margin in terms of pre war buildings. And this is not an opinion, this is a fact.
Lol Obviously I meant my own opinion when I said realistically. But Prewar, I didn't know we where talking about prewar. I think they both have different strengths. Don't get me wrong New York has magnificent pre war buildings some better than Chicago's prewar building. Same for Chicago, some here is better than New Yorks pre war. I do think Chicago does a have slightly better pre war buildings though I Just think there better. That being said New York having better pre war buildings is not a fact. But an opinion if it was a proven fact every one would agree with it but not everybody agrees.

ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #744
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

image hosted on flickr

One WTC...Standing Out by jmvazquezjr on Flickr

HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #745
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Both cities have different strengths in pre-war buildings. For the Art Deco towers, no city in the world holds a candle to New York. Where Chicago wins is in the oldest skyscrapers, in the rich cluster of turn of the century buildings just south of the Loop and scattered gems that helped create the skyscraper, like the Rookery Building and Monadnock Building.

Also, both cities have similar preserved stretches. New York has Wall Street, Chicago has LaSalle Street. New York has Central Park South, Chicago has Michigan Avenue along Grant Park.
Chicago does not have a fraction of the pre-War towers that NY does. Nor does it have four centuries of architecture like NY.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #746
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Chicago's heart beats slower than NYC. It shares blood with Detroit. That's the difference, to me, and you can see it wherever you go.

Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #747
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Chicago does not have a fraction of the pre-War towers that NY does. Nor does it have four centuries of architecture like NY.
The vast portion of NYC is just as old as Chicago. That's because so much has been destroyed, and so very little remains of the earlier periods. Practially all of the elegant town houses that used to characterize much of lower Manhattan are gone without a trace.

And as is typical of many people here, you mistake quality for quantity. And why should quality be put into question when it is common knowledge with those of us not totally ignorant of the history of pre-war buildings in NYC and Chicago that the architects and builders of the very best exemplars worked in both cities?

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #748
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Chicago's heart beats slower than NYC. It shares blood with Detroit. That's the difference, to me, and you can see it wherever you go.
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes about a city:

Chicago is New York with the heart left in. (Grace Greenwood)

Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #749
tpe

Bryan Lathrop House, Chicago
In the refined Georgian Revival style by the NYC firm of McKim, Mead & White.

image hosted on flickr

Bryan Lathrop House (1892) by ChicagoGeek, on Flickr

The Clarendon - 137 Riverside Drive, Manhattan
A fine Beaux-Arts exemplar by the Chicago (and later New York) architect Charles Birge.

Old January 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #750
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
The vast portion of NYC is just as old as Chicago. That's because so much has been destroyed, and so very little remains of the earlier periods. Practially all of the elegant town houses that used to characterize much of lower Manhattan are gone without a trace.

And as is typical of many people here, you mistake quality for quantity. And why should quality be put into question when it is common knowledge with those of us not totally ignorant of the history of pre-war buildings in NYC and Chicago that the architects and builders of the very best exemplars worked in both cities?
Hardly, all of Manhattan south of 42nd Street is a sea, several miles long and several miles wide, of pre-War buildings with limited post-wars mixed in. Moreover, the same holds true north of 59th street and west of 3rd Ave. Chicago has nothing like this vast area with thousands and thousands of pre-wars. Lastly, that's just Manhattan. Brookllyn provides yet another vast sea of old buildings.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; January 18th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #751
tpe

Quote:
Hardly, all of Manhattan south of 42nd Street is a sea, several miles long and several miles wide, of pre-War buildings with limited post-wars mixed in. Moreover, the same holds true north of 59th street and west of 3rd Ave. Chicago has nothing like this vast area with thousands and thousands of pre-wars. Lastly, that's just Manhattan. Brookllyn provides yet another vast sea of old buildings.

Anyone who suggests that Chicago even remotely compares to NY is disingenuous.
As I said, a lot of these buildings are NOT that old, so it is pointless to talk about 4 centuries of architecture, when a lot of it in both cities are pretty much the same age.

And as I said, don't get fixated about quantity, when it's quality you have to worry about.

Last edited by tpe; January 18th, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #752
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I think Chicago is a city that is in dire need of catching up, development wise. New York City still seems to lead the world in development, every week we hear about a new proposed building, but in Chicago we keep hearing about failed proposals and cancelled buildings, even though the city passes anything that comes its way. Chicago is still beautiful, but it has a long way to go to ever reach NYC, and I don't think it'll ever happen.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #753
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
As I said, a lot of these buildings are NOT that old, so it is pointless to talk about 4 centuries of architecture, when a lot of it in both cities are pretty much the same age.

And as I said, don't get fixated about quantity, when it's quality you have to worry about.
Hardly, NY has way over a thousand buildings from the 1800s, and probably at least 600 from before the Civil War. Chicago does not.

The quality in NY is second to none in the US.

Old January 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #754
tpe

Quote:
Hardly, NY has way over a thousand buildings from the 1800s, and probably at least 600 from before the Civil War. Chicago does not.

The quality in NY is second to none in the US.
We are not talking here about tenements. That hardly counts for refined architecture.

And as I said. drop this fixation about quantity. It's quality that matters.

Last edited by tpe; January 18th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #755
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
We are not talking here about tenements. That hardly counts for refined architecture.

And as I asid. drop this fixation about quantity. It's quality that matters.
I'm not either. I'm also talking about quality. Get over your second city complex. Chicago can't hold a candle to NY in any respect.

Old January 18th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #756
tpe

Quote:
I'm not either. I'm also talking about quality. Get over your second city complex. Chicago can't hold a candle to NY in any respect.
You are trolling this thread, child. If you can't appreciate both cities for what they are, and insist on your childish ignorant prattle, then I suggest you do it elsewhere.

I live in NYC, and I love and appreciate it for what it is, and not for some idealized rubbish that people spout all the time on this forum, not to mention the likes of you. It is not my fault that you are ignorant of the city you praise so much, and, I might add, completely ignorant of Chicago.

But why should I waste my time on tripe such as you?

Last edited by tpe; January 18th, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #757
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
You are trolling this thread, child. If you can't appreciate both cities for what they are, and insist on your childish ignorant prattle, then I suggest you do it elsewhere.

I live in NYC, and I love and appreciate it for what it is, and not for some idealized rubbish that people spout all the time on this forum, not to mention the likes of you. It is not my fault that you are ignorant of the city you praise so much, and, I might add, completely ignorant of Chicago.

But why should I waste my time on tripe such as you?
I lived near Chicago for 7 years, putz. Get over your second city complex.

Old January 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #758
tpe

Quote:
I lived near Chicago for 7 years, putz. Get over your second city complex.
"Near" is key. But ignorance is bliss.

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #759
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
"Near" is key. But ignorance is bliss.
It sure is. It permits dolts like you to think that they live in the "Paris of the Midwest.". I laughed every time I heard that absurd delusion!

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #760
tpe

Quote:
It sure is. It permits dolts like you to think that they live in the "Paris of the Midwest.". I laughed every time I heard that absurd delusion!
And why should I care if a turd laughs or not?

Chicago in NYC:

The Flatiron Building, by the Chicago firm of Daniel H. Burnham & Co.

image hosted on flickr

Flatiron Building by _rockinfree, on Flickr

The Equitable Building, by architects Graham, Anderson, Probst & White

image hosted on flickr

Equitable Building by massmatt, on Flickr

Tags
architecture, chicago, new york, skylines, skyscrapers