daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #761
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Why would Chicago ever need to worry about catching New York? It has its own set of strengths and difficulties, it is its own city, with a distinct culture and a distinct feel. Second City? Sure. But what need is there to take on the First City? Chicago doesn't have to answer to New York for anything; it is its own metropolis.

image hosted on flickr

Justin Kern at Flickr

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Dralcoffin; January 18th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #762
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
...It seems the only people who get touchy about Chicago being placed with New York are New Yorkers themselves...
I don't think this is the case. Real New Yorkers are quite confident and a great deal more knowledgable about other cities, Chicago included. But many people who come here without having seen the world let things go over their heads, and think that just being in NYC bestows on them a mantle of sophistication. These are the most insuperable.

But there seems to be a number of people in this forum who seem insecure about this whole comparison thing, let alone a lack of knowledge, formal or otherwise. Let it be. To paraphrase a saying: does a ship's captain care if the rats in the hold are comfortable or not?

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #763
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Yikes, this really spiraled out of control in a relatively short period of time.

I'm curious to any Chicagoans, why is that the city has been so vertical during its life? It doesn't have the natural boundaries that concentrate Manhattan or Hong Kong, is it a combination of the fire leaving developers with a sort of blank slate and Chicago's role as a major steel producer for so long?

I feel like I should put this as a disclaimer so people know I don't mean that question as condescending. I've been to Chicago, and loveee it. I've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit, and it's easily one of my favorite places on earth and has the #1 skyline on the planet in my mind right now. It doesn't have the sheer scale of other cities, but it's remarkably compact, dense, insanely vertical, and has a gorgeous setting.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #764
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
I don't think this is the case. Real New Yorkers are quite confident and a great deal more knowledgable about other cities, Chicago included. But many people who come here without having seen the world let things go over their heads, and think that just being in NYC bestows on them a mantle of sophistication. These are the most insuperable.

But there seems to be a number of people in this forum who seem insecure about this whole comparison thing, let alone a lack of knowledge, formal or otherwise. Let it be. To paraphrase a saying: does a ship's captain care if the rats in the hold are comfortable or not?
I have been to every continent except for Antartica and have concluded that NY, London, and Paris are -- by far -- the best cities on Earth, and no others compare. Shanghai might in the future but not yet. Chicago certainly does not.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #765
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Yikes, this really spiraled out of control in a relatively short period of time.

I'm curious to any Chicagoans, why is that the city has been so vertical during its life? It doesn't have the natural boundaries that concentrate Manhattan or Hong Kong, is it a combination of the fire leaving developers with a sort of blank slate and Chicago's role as a major steel producer for so long?

I feel like I should put this as a disclaimer so people know I don't mean that question as condescending. I've been to Chicago, and loveee it. I've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit, and it's easily one of my favorite places on earth and has the #1 skyline on the planet in my mind right now. It doesn't have the sheer scale of other cities, but it's remarkably compact, dense, insanely vertical, and has a gorgeous setting.
No worries. The problem is strictly limited to a few. Some people do have a marked preference for one city, but that's alright. It's those who can't brook comparisons between the two that are best ignored or laughed at, and discarded.

In the 19th century, the area of the Loop was actually hemmed in topographically by the lake and the river. But the concentration was primarily driven by the centralization of business and services brought about by the city becoming both THE major railway hub in the country, and THE terminus for Great Lakes shipping. The invention of the skyscraper in the late 1800s made possible such a concentration of business and services.

tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #766
Loqy Lion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
If you can't appreciate both cities for what they are, and insist on your childish ignorant prattle, then I suggest you do it elsewhere.
I appreciate both for what they are:

New York City = de facto capital of the WORLD in many respects

Chicago = middle America with some tall buildings

Loqy Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #767
Loqy Lion
BANNED

Chicago is more like a third city.

Los Angeles is number 2 in America.

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #768
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Folks, I believe this is "The New York City and Chicago appreciation thread."

Please remove your heads from your asses.

Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #769
Loqy Lion
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Folks, I believe this is "The New York City and Chicago appreciation thread."

Please remove your heads from your asses.
We can appreciate Chicago for the middle American, McDonald's, 9-5 ham and egger oasis it is.

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #770
Loqy Lion
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Shanghai might in the future but not yet.
Not until there are "Americantowns" and "Europeantowns" and 75% of highrises aren't commie blocks.

1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
4. Los Angeles
5. Tokyo

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #771
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

This is why I think Chicago is so underrated. Probably the most underrated alpha city in the world. Though I live in NYC, I have respect and adoration for Chicago. I even find it more beautiful overall and it definitely is not lacking when it comes to skyscrapers - be it in architecture, height, density, balance etc. It's a world class city that has been pushed to the back seat because it's constantly being compared to NYC, LA and even Toronto in the north. It's a great city in its own right hence the main purpose of this thread - not to compare it to NYC

Filipino working in NYC

Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #772
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
Not until there are "Americantowns" and "Europeantowns" and 75% of highrises aren't commie blocks.

1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
4. Los Angeles
5. Tokyo
Nice list, but I disagree. Tokyo is in no way behind LA, are you mad? Tokyo blows that collection of housing estates out of the water in nearly every category besides location and weather.

Also, London and NY is a preference, either could go #1 unless this is a GDP game. London of course is the winner in the elegance and beauty side anyway, rail infrastructure and parks too.

aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #773
Loqy Lion
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
besides location and weather.
Women
Famous people
Hollywood

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #774
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
No worries. The problem is strictly limited to a few. Some people do have a marked preference for one city, but that's alright. It's those who can't brook comparisons between the two that are best ignored or laughed at, and discarded.

In the 19th century, the area of the Loop was actually hemmed in topographically by the lake and the river. But the concentration was primarily driven by the centralization of business and services brought about by the city becoming both THE major railway hub in the country, and THE terminus for Great Lakes shipping. The invention of the skyscraper in the late 1800s made possible such a concentration of business and services.
Ahhh, that makes sense, I appreciate the answer. I had no idea about the topography. If I'm not mistaken 50% of the countries freight rail still passes through Chicago, or Chicago metro, it's crazy that its maintained that status, and hasn't suffered as much as other midwestern cities after loosing a great deal of its blue collar manufacturing jobs. Anyways, thanks for the answer.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #775
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I have been to every continent except for Antartica and have concluded that NY, London, and Paris are -- by far -- the best cities on Earth, and no others compare. Shanghai might in the future but not yet. Chicago certainly does not.
Depends on what kind of person you are. Some people would adore Rome or Prague, and consider them far more interesting.

Anyway, since you are talking about these world full-on mega cities, you can't miss Tokyo IMO.

Old January 19th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #776
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
Women
Famous people
Hollywood
Hollywood? Not the place I hope. The industry I assume.

As a city LA is far behind Tokyo, I'm afraid to say.

LA needs to develop its center, then we can talk. Even then, Tokyo is just light years ahead on everything other than lifestyle preferences (beach, weather, etc).

Last edited by aquablue; January 19th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #777
aquablue
BANNED

A note on Chicago, it is a very nice 3rd city in the USA. The skyline is supreme, but the feel on the ground doesn't quite feel as vibrant or energy intensive as one of the top global cities. I'd suggest Chicago focus on decreasing crime and developing more tourist friendly things to do. More interesting architecture would help. Stop building boxes. Take the Bilbao approach.

Someone mentioned Toronto. That city probably bests chicago in many areas.

Old January 19th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #778
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

image hosted on flickr

Moondance by [Clint], on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Inside The Thompson Center by [Clint], on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Alleyway by [Clint], on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Chicago At Night by [Clint], on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #779
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Delete

IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #780
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Why would Chicago ever need to worry about catching New York? It has its own set of strengths and difficulties, it is its own city, with a distinct culture and a distinct feel. Second City? Sure. But what need is there to take on the First City? Chicago doesn't have to answer to New York for anything; it is its own metropolis.

image hosted on flickr

Justin Kern at Flickr
Absolutely incredible photo! Thank's for posting!

IrishMan2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
architecture, chicago, new york, skylines, skyscrapers