daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #781
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Under the Williamsburg Bridge, NYC:

image hosted on flickr

under the williamsburg bridge by Henry C, on Flickr

Under the Brown Line, Chicago:

image hosted on flickr

Under The Brown Line by jeff.ramone, on Flickr

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #782
tpe

North State Street, Chicago

image hosted on flickr

7488_Chicago North State Street by Chicamguy, on Flickr

Riverside Drive, NYC

image hosted on flickr

Riverside Drive by cguzmanpardo, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #783
tpe

Bikers, Gold Coast, Chicago

image hosted on flickr

7475_Chicago Gold Coast Bikes by Chicamguy, on Flickr

Bikes, Brooklyn, NYC

image hosted on flickr

Brooklyn. Bikes. Brownstones. by mssabina, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #784
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Chicago's heart beats slower than NYC. It shares blood with Detroit. That's the difference, to me, and you can see it wherever you go.
Much of lower Manhattan has lost is charm, same goes for midtown. Can't really do much if every other building looks like this; http://www.pacefireprotection.com/Ph...all%20Main.jpg I love New York but I have lost my love for lower Manhattan. Possible once ALL the WTC projects finish it will add enough flare for me to give it another chance.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #785
tpe

Along Bedford Ave.

image hosted on flickr

Bedford Avenue by transbay, on Flickr

Along Damen Ave.

image hosted on flickr

Wicker Park by Eridony, on Flickr

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #786
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
Much of lower Manhattan has lost is charm, same goes for midtown. Can't really do much if every other building looks like this; http://www.pacefireprotection.com/Ph...all%20Main.jpg I love New York but I have lost my love for lower Manhattan. Possible once ALL the WTC projects finish it will add enough flare for me to give it another chance.
I wouldn't say that any of Manhattan has lost charm. NY is currently booming. Like you said, not only are 4 WTC buildings being built downtown, but 3 of them are supertalls. As well as 50 West Street, also in LM. In midtown there are 3 supertalls going up, one of them Willis Tower sized. Not to mention the Hudson yards and Manhattan West developments.

Highcliff liked this post
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #787
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
You clearly know nothing about lower Manhattan.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #788
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
We can appreciate Chicago for the middle American, McDonald's, 9-5 ham and egger oasis it is.
That's pretty beta trolling, dude. Only good trolls stay off my ignore list.

Such as Mr. Walpole up there.

Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #789
tpe

Quote:
I assume that you are distinguishing between "lower Manhattan" (south of Canal or Chambers) and "Downtown Manhattan", as Manhattanites typically do when they distinguish the Financial District, Battery Park, and Civic Center from the rest of Downtown.

Some would certainly disagree, and would say that lower Manhattan has improved over the years. The area is certainly more diversified (i.e., less completely dominated by Finance) and more people are now living there, compared to former days.

But to many here in Manhattan, the attitude to that area remains unchanged, and remains very similar to what you express here. You will certainly not find many willing to move there any time soon. This should come as no surprise to anyone remotely familiar with the rental and real estate market in Manhattan, in spite of the relative strength of these markets at the present time.

Charm is certainly subjective. But attitudes can certainly be gauged rather precisely. Of course, attitudes do change. But it should come as no surprise to you (and to anybody, for that matter) that your own attitude is indeed currently shared by many.

Last edited by tpe; January 19th, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #790
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

"New York City still seems to lead the world in development, every week we hear about a new proposed building, but in Chicago we keep hearing about failed proposals and cancelled buildings, even though the city passes anything that comes its way."

Please name these failed proposals and cancelled buildings that we keep hearing about because I follow the construction scene here pretty close and I don't know of these buildings. And please, don't mention the buildings that were cancelled during the great recession b/c I'm sure everyone is familiar with those. Other than NYC, I don't think there are any other U.S city that is building more than Chicago at the moment.

Btw, Chicago is not trying to reach New York, development wise.Paris, London and Tokyo probably will never reach New York, development wise, but does that mean they're not alpha, global world cities in their own rights?

"Chicago is more like a third city."

"Los Angeles is number 2 in America."

Population wise only.

"We can appreciate Chicago for the middle American, McDonald's, 9-5 ham and egger oasis it is."

"I appreciate both for what they are"

"New York City = de facto capital of the WORLD in many respects"

"Chicago = middle America with some tall buildings"

And I appreciate you for what you are, another ignorant p.o.s who has no clue wtf he's talking about.

"I have been to every continent except for Antartica and have concluded that NY, London, and Paris are -- by far -- the best cities on Earth, and no others compare. Shanghai might in the future but not yet. Chicago certainly does not."

Chicago is not in the top 5 but it is definitely in the top 10 with lots of potential to move up.

"A note on Chicago, it is a very nice 3rd city in the USA. The skyline is supreme, but the feel on the ground doesn't quite feel as vibrant or energy intensive as one of the top global cities. I'd suggest Chicago focus on decreasing crime and developing more tourist friendly things to do. More interesting architecture would help. Stop building boxes. Take the Bilbao approach."

Chicago's crime is not much worse than other American cities and the crime is mostly concentrated in 7 or 8 neighborhoods. However, like most American cities, and especially in those 7 or 8 Chicago neighborhoods, the city needs to do a better job.

As for the touristy things to do, outside of New York, not many other North American cities have more touristy things to do than Chicago, unless you're talking about during the winter time.

"Someone mentioned Toronto. That city probably bests chicago in many areas."

Toronto bests Chicago in many areas and Chicago bests Toronto in many areas but overall, Chicago comes out on top.

Anyway, as someone who wasn't born in the U.S but made Chicago my home city although I could have easily chosen NYC since half of my family lives there, I have a very unique perspective on things.

I think certain New Yorkers and people from the coasts are some of the most delusional, envious, and ignorant people in this country. New Yorkers are the Kanye West of the Universe. Yeah, you have great skills but you ain't the God of rap music. Just like Kanye West thinks he deserves to win every award and thinks every song he makes is better than everything else that's out, New Yorkers think they're tops at everything at every given moment. Also, Just like Kanye hates to admit that someone else has a better song than him, New Yorkers hate and are ashame to admit when another city is better at something or is doing something better than their city, especially if it's a city in the "Midwest."

Btw, I find it amusing when people from other coastal cities try to dump on Chicago just because it's located in the Midwest. I find amusing because, in most cases, Chicago mops the floor with them.

Finally, New Yorkers remind me of the cindirrela story where the uglier older sisters try their hardest to beat down on the prettier younger sister. They try to hide the younger sister because they know, deep down inside, the younger sister is prettier and is capable of grabbing some attention. They get angry and worried because they want all of the shine to themselves all of the time. I call it the insecure older sister syndrome. I find it to be pretty pathetic but it's cool because Chicago is a fighter, always have been and always will be.

3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #791
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Psychologists and internet culturists would have a field day with this thread.

Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #792
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

"Chicago = middle America with some tall buildings"

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, Chicago has one the the top 5 skylines on earth, hell maybe even top 3, and with a metro population of about 10 million, it counts as a (smaller) megacity.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #793
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Why would Chicago ever need to worry about catching New York? It has its own set of strengths and difficulties, it is its own city, with a distinct culture and a distinct feel. Second City? Sure. But what need is there to take on the First City? Chicago doesn't have to answer to New York for anything; it is its own metropolis.

image hosted on flickr

Justin Kern at Flickr
I totally agree with you! Chicago has its own strengths in many ways. Some better than New York, and some better in New York than in Chicago. Chicago is its own and the fact its being compared to New York is nonsense. Its like comparing a whale to a dolphin.. Some similarities but also a lot of differences. Chicago is Chicago and New York is New York. Both fantastic cities with beautiful skylines and downtown life.. Some people got this is an apprecitation thread, not a Which big city is better. Oh and thanks for the new screensaver! Beautiful picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Folks, I believe this is "The New York City and Chicago appreciation thread."

Please remove your heads from your asses.
Completely agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
This is why I think Chicago is so underrated. Probably the most underrated alpha city in the world. Though I live in NYC, I have respect and adoration for Chicago. I even find it more beautiful overall and it definitely is not lacking when it comes to skyscrapers - be it in architecture, height, density, balance etc. It's a world class city that has been pushed to the back seat because it's constantly being compared to NYC, LA and even Toronto in the north. It's a great city in its own right hence the main purpose of this thread - not to compare it to NYC
I also agree with you.. With almost everything you have said. It has been pushed to the back because of many people just trying to compare to other top natch cities. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
A note on Chicago, it is a very nice 3rd city in the USA. The skyline is supreme, but the feel on the ground doesn't quite feel as vibrant or energy intensive as one of the top global cities. I'd suggest Chicago focus on decreasing crime and developing more tourist friendly things to do. More interesting architecture would help. Stop building boxes. Take the Bilbao approach.

Someone mentioned Toronto. That city probably bests chicago in many areas.
Chicago does have a lot of crime but compared to New York.. Chicago has a lot of crime but saying its the reason why its so "far behind" is idiotic in many ways.. Sorry to say. But look at New York, it has 10x's the crime as Chicago but that doesnt mean its going to push New York far behind. Crimes mostly happen in the ghetto and last time I checked downtown wasnt the ghetto. Chicago has just as vibrancy and energy just as any other city. Compared to New York of course not, but it has tons of rich vibrancy especially during the summer. Its downtown is fabulous and no matter what, in opinion, would have the best skyline, downtown life in the USA, possibly the world..

ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM   #794
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Google Streetview captures:

The Milwaukee Avenue bridge over the Kennedy expressway, the giants say hello:

[IMG]http://i44.************/258coz4.png[/IMG]

The intersection of Milwaukee, Damen, and North: the heart of Wicker Park, with a delightful mix of architectural styles

[IMG]http://i42.************/352rzad.png[/IMG]

A quiet neighborhood on the North Side (Racine & George, western Lincoln Park)
Miles upon miles of the city are leafy, peaceful neighborhoods like this, and I love this architecture

[IMG]http://i44.************/xdi3ip.png[/IMG]

Chinatown!
[IMG]http://i40.************/x6d5z7.png[/IMG]

Ah, spring, so close but so far... (North Avenue Beach)
[IMG]http://i42.************/334ovhy.png[/IMG]

Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:01 PM   #795
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Chicago does have a lot of crime but compared to New York.. Chicago has a lot of crime but saying its the reason why its so "far behind" is idiotic in many ways.. Sorry to say. But look at New York, it has 10x's the crime as Chicago but that doesnt mean its going to push New York far behind. Crimes mostly happen in the ghetto and last time I checked downtown wasnt the ghetto. Chicago has just as vibrancy and energy just as any other city. Compared to New York of course not, but it has tons of rich vibrancy especially during the summer. Its downtown is fabulous and no matter what, in opinion, would have the best skyline, downtown life in the USA, possibly the world..
Okay, I'm not a city vs city person until someone just blatantly makes something up.

Per 100,000 people in 2010, Murder and non negligent manslaughter NY: 6.4, CHI: 15.2; Robbery NY: 235 CHI: 501, Aggravated Assault NY: 327 Chi 485; Property Crime NY 1674 CHI 4236; Burglary NY: 215 CHI 924; Larceny Theft NY 1336 CHI 2638; Motor Vehicle Theft NY 123 CHI 673. I didn't cherry pick, those are all the crimes where statistics are available for both cities.

Again, I don't like city vs city for a multitude of reasons, but come on, don't just make stuff up.

yankeesfan1000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:25 PM   #796
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Thanks for clearing that up. It should be common sense by now to know the fact that NY is the safest big city in the U.S.. Also I do get the feeling that fellow forumer ChiSkyline hasn't been in NY yet.

Last edited by HK999; January 21st, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #797
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Chicago for the US is what Berlin is for Europe: its the biggest one in the middle.

And from that location (and other factors) comes their strength and importance.

Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:10 AM   #798
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post
Chicago for the US is what Berlin is for Europe: its the biggest one in the middle.

Precisely. New York is the dominant national nexus, but Chicago is the "thumbtack" in the middle that serves as the transportational hub for the whole continent, and the dominant cultural center between the Appalachians and the Rockies. For someone on the coasts, especially in New York itself, Chicago doesn't have much of a role, but here in the Midwest it casts a long, long shadow. (Similar for Atlanta in the southeast and Seattle in the northwest but on a larger scale.)

Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM   #799
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderknabe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. It should be common sense by now to know the fact that NY is the safest big city in the U.S.. Also I do get the feeling that fellow forumer ChiSkyline hasn't been in NY yet.
I may have over exaggerated a bit but I said it because of personal experience. I have been to New York a few times and the last time I went was I would say 1-2 years ago. While I was in New York things happened that I thought would never happen. My first day there was not so great. A couple of friends and I went out to eat and when we were finished eating my car, of course, had a busted window, radio stolen,, my bags (from previously shopping) stolen.. They should of took the whole dam car. I lived in chicago my whole life and nothing like this has ever happened to me... Also this video & article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_904493.html is about this truth test on various cities. I think it's very interesting.Chicago is not the safest city, But New York doesn't fall to far behind in my eyes

Last edited by ChiSkyline; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM   #800
ChiSkyline

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i42.************/ofw0ia.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by ChiSkyline; February 3rd, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Tags
architecture, chicago, new york, skylines, skyscrapers