daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Should there be a universal driving system?
DEFINITELY!!! (ON THE LEFT) 7 16.28%
DEFINITELY!!! (ON THE RIGHT) 28 65.12%
NO WAY!!! 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #161
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I like the Bosnian system. Conditions are always good for young drivers.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #162
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirza-sm View Post
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Here it is possible to start driving lessons with 17 and take driving tests, but you can get your licence when you fill 18.

You can drive only untill 23.oo if you have under 21, or not enough driving experience, and you have to wear the P (pocetnik) sticker at the back of you car, so people can see youre a beginner.

Looks like Bosnia adopted a licence design similar to that of the current EU design.
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #163
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Looks like Ontario's driving requirements are over the top. I hated this graduated licensing model. One driving test is enough and you should be able to do it quickly after your written test, so there is no need to wait for 5 years. I think it's only a cash grab by the Drive Test agency and the Ontario government. I don't think Ontario drivers are any better than before this system was implemented.
Heh yeah I mostly agree. I don't know whether Ontario drivers are any better now than before 1994 (when the graduated system was introduced), but I do know that Ontario drivers overall are one of (if not the) best in North America, statistically. The accident rate here is on par with the better (in terms of driving statistics) European nations.

I do think the system is too complicated though, and agree about having only a single test. However, this test should not be trivial as it is in some North American locales (for example, like the one in California, according to a few of my friends who worked in Silicon Valley). Our test is not nearly as complicated as in other places (like Europe), but from what I heard it is still more serious than in other places on this continent.

I also liked the fact that driver training was optional and I could learn with an accompanying driver While in theory, I think some driver education is required (and I did take around 10 driving lessons overall between my G1 and G), if I speak personally on my own behalf, I liked not having to spend hundreds of dollars on a large number of mandatory lessons (like some of my friends in Israel did to get their license), and being able to drive for 2 years with my dad near me, which gave me enough experience to pass the test with ease and in fact start my independent driving career as someone who already had been driving quite regularly for a few years. This, of course, may not always be the case with all people and accompanying drivers Despite this system, which may be viewed as "problematic" by many Europeans, Ontario still achieves very good driving statistics.

Last edited by TheCat; February 10th, 2010 at 03:24 AM.
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #164
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Age 15 for a permit to drive with an adult and 16 to get a restricted license. It's good that the age is low here the US and especially Florida seeing you have to drive everywhere to do anything.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #165
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

In New Jersey its 15 for a Moped or scooter , 16 for a permit and 17 or 18 for a license , and 21 for a commercial truck or bus operator license

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #166
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Heh yeah I mostly agree. I don't know whether Ontario drivers are any better now than before 1994 (when the graduated system was introduced), but I do know that Ontario drivers overall are one of (if not the) best in North America, statistically. The accident rate here is on par with the better (in terms of driving statistics) European nations.

Yes, I forgot to mention, driving schools made big money with this licensing scheme as well. There are many people who benefit from this model, and I don't know if the extra time and money spent on driving training, testing and retesting is actually worth it in the end. It all seemed too laborious for me. But I'm glad it's over.

I watch Canada's Worst Driver, and one of the contestants recently moved to Canada from India. He said in order to get a license in India, all you need to do for the driving examiner is start the car, and he gives you a license . I wonder if this far from the truth.
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Statistically speaking, two-lane country roads are the most dangerous with the most fatalities relative to it's usage. States or countries with little or no large cities are always less safe due to this reason, compared to states or countries with a lot of large cities.

So it doesn't surprise me that much that Ontario is safer than say, Saskatchewan.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #168
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Statistically speaking, two-lane country roads are the most dangerous with the most fatalities relative to it's usage. States or countries with little or no large cities are always less safe due to this reason, compared to states or countries with a lot of large cities.

So it doesn't surprise me that much that Ontario is safer than say, Saskatchewan.

Isn't the amount of traffic also a big factor here?
And let's not forget geography? (e.g. Amalfi coast vs. flat and straight roads in Finland)

Sweden and Finland have very few limited access highways, but rank among the safest countries in Europe.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #169
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is why I said "relative to traffic". Motorways have more accidents overall, but their usage is also much higher, thus the motorway is the safest road type.

A very large proportion of Sweden and Finland's population is urban. 85% of the Swedes live in urban areas.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #170
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Mountainous roads like those you find in the Amalfi coast are actually safer than flat, semi-urban 2-lane local roads. Perception of danger greatly increases in tight-curved, steep-grade roads crossing rugged terrain.

In Italy highway private-operated network (80% of all highways roughly), tunnels account for 5% of overall lane-length (a remarkable feature by the way), yet less than 1% of highway accidents happen on tunnels. Stretches like Bologna-Firenze, full of curves, ascents and descends, are safer than all-flat ones like Bologna-Milano.

This pattern repeats itself elsewhere.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #171
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, subjective traffic safety (human observation) is usually significantly different from the objective traffic safety (statistical).

Although Italy is generally perceived as a country where people drive like crazy, statistical surveys show a different outcome, Italy ranks among the top in Europe in traffic safety measured by the number of traffic fatalities relative to it's population.
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #172
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirza-sm View Post
You can drive only untill 23.oo if you are under 21
very strict...
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not uncommon in rural parts of the Netherlands to see students going to high school in a tractor. You can drive at the age of 16.

Old February 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #174
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie D. View Post
Looks like Bosnia adopted a licence design similar to that of the current EU design.
Yes, it looks like. They are adopted our laws because they want to joined EU.

Slovakia

UK

Poland

Bundesrepublik Deustchland

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #175
mirza-sm
Lilium Bosniacum

Likes (Received): 8037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie D. View Post
Jepp, 6 years ago.
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #176
mirza-sm
Lilium Bosniacum

Likes (Received): 8037

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
I like the Bosnian system. Conditions are always good for young drivers.
Hehe im sure the young Bosnian drivers would disagree with you (or me when i first got my drivers licence)