daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #21
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Hm, the Century Plaza looks like a one-use-only building, and I'm not sure if we can convert any portion of the original structure to condos.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #22
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3462

Curbed LA

Century Plaza Double Towers Project Begins Fresh Approvals

Quote:
The formerly-controversial redevelopment of the Century Plaza Hotel site is another one making a reappearance in the late summer rush--the City Planning commission has just approved plans for the overhaul, reports the LA Business Journal (sub. req.). Developer Next Century originally intended to demolish the 1966 Century Plaza, which was designed by World Trade Center architect Minoru Yamasaki, and put up two condo/office towers. But preservationists rallied and Next Cen eventually settled on what seemed like a no-brainer: a reno of the hotel and the addition of two condo towers behind it (they ditched the office plans). The towers will each be 46 stories designed by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners; the top five floors of the hotel (a Hyatt) will be converted into 63 condos for a total of 353 units at the site. Next Century will also add "nearly 105,000 square feet of shops and restaurants," mostly in separate structures at the back of the site, as well as about two acres of green space. The hotel's back pool will be moved onto the roof (another pool is also planned for one of the towers).

The developers are also making the mid-century hotel a little bit more pedestrian-friendly--they'll fill in the sunken front plaza and add two restaurants on top to bring the action closer to the street, and they'll convert the hotel's lobby into a breezeway.

According to the LABJ, no one spoke against the project at the planning commission meeting. Nearby homeowners actually spoke in support (!!); they like that the office space is gone and have apparently "also received a separate community benefits agreement," which they won't divulge details of.

The Century Plaza is expected to get City Council approval this fall, but probably won't break ground until 2014. Work will take "at least five to six years."
I guess we'll see this thread return again in... 2014. These towers are worth the wait though, if they're actually built in this form and not some scaled down version with 20 stories each.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #23
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3462

Century Plaza's Two-Tower Makeover is a Go in Century City

Quote:
Another bust-era project is alive and well and passed the City Council today: the long-planned redevelopment of Century City's crescent-shaped Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel won unanimous approval this very morning. Developer Next Century Associates plans to put up two residential towers designed by Pei Cobb Freed, add a 100,000-square-foot retail and restaurant plaza, renovate the 1966 hotel, and create more than two acres of public open space on the six-acre site. The hotel will end up with 394 rooms and suites and 63 "luxury" condos (Marmol Radziner is handling preservation work). The towers--a late-in-the-game addition to prevent demolition of the Minoru Yamasaki-designed hotel--will each be 46 stories and have a combined 290 units. The compromise that saved the hotel was so successful that the project "received universal support with no public opposition," according to a press release.

Two more tall towers in Century City is pretty interesting, but the most compelling part of this project is the public space (Rios Clementi Hale is the landscape architect), which will extend out to Avenue of the Stars in an attempt to make notoriously-un-pedestrian-friendly CC a little more pedestrian-friendly. The plans also incorporate a proposed future station for the Purple Line extension (that's the extremely controversial one that'll send the route under Beverly Hills High).

Construction is set to start in early 2014.

Curbed LA

Highcliff liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #24
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Fantastic news! Look at that once-threatened gorgeous mid-century swoosh of a hotel next to the towers. LA just gets more amazing each year!

Also I've changed the status to 'approved'.
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #25
Kenni
What?

Wonderful news, we need good news from the slump.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Marco Polo

Supreme!!

Nice towers and I am particularly happy about the preservation of the crescent-shaped hotel. it is a beauty.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Looks awesome
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #28
roogenial
In da gym

Likes (Received): 2291

Looking great.
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #29
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I liked the oval towers Now they look like the Keangnam Hanoi Landmark twins towers.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #30
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

http://la.curbed.com/archives/catego...ntury_city.php

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #31
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

When these towers are built, Century City will have one of the most unique skylines in the US imo. When you realize that the redevelopment of the Century Plaza will totally mirror 2000 Ave of the Stars and Century Plaza towers, it will truly be a unique sight to see. Even factoring in the way that the placement of the buildings in Century City has a slight arch to reflect the Century Plaza Hotel. Very interesting.

Kanto, Highcliff, Greg95100 liked this post
soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #32
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

It definitely feels planned, in a good way. The mirroring of the two sets of buildings is fantastic (one set is curvy, earthy and textured; the other hard, glassy and slick). These twins, combined with the other two or three towers getting built to the north/northeast, are going to fill out the CC skyline in a big way.

I don't love the plateau though. Until/unless the Santa Monica Airport gets shut down (which is apparently in the works), we won't have anything to break through, height-wise. And of course, it's miserable to actually walk around and be in.

BTW, if you've never been into 2000 Avenue of the Stars, it's just as impressive inside as it is outside, maybe more. The CAA lobby is insane.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #33
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
BTW, if you've never been into 2000 Avenue of the Stars, it's just as impressive inside as it is outside, maybe more. The CAA lobby is insane.
Don't try and take photos though, security will chase you out.

MarshallKnight liked this post
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #34
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4539

how big is century city compared to LA Downtown?
I've seen some pictures of it, but can't really get the sense of scale as both look huge!

bt great proposal! how tall will these be? lower 200m range?
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #35
motion

Likes (Received): 123

In terms of size it's probably the same as downtown la or very close to but in terms of skyline it's like half the size probably slightly less.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
motion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #36
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

How tall in feet is this project supposed to be?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #37
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
How tall in feet is this project supposed to be?
According to the EIR, the towers will reach 848 feet above sea level. Ground level on the site is listed as varying between 260 feet and 318 feet above sea level. I'd guess they're supposed to be somewhere around 530-540 feet tall.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #38
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
how big is century city compared to LA Downtown?
They're not even close. Per Wikipedia (by way of the LA Times and the US Census), Downtown LA is 5.84 square miles. Century City is a mere 0.70 square miles. The entirety of Century City used to be the 20th Century Fox lot; I've walked end to end along Avenue of the Stars in 10 minutes. Nowadays I tend to think of it as an office park on steroids.

I wonder if you're maybe looking from the South or East and seeing the towers of Westwood and Brentwood. From several perspectives, Westwood appears to blend right into Century City, even though they're at least a half-mile apart. If you take all of those neighborhoods together, the Westside has a respectable collection of towers (I particularly like a few of the condo buildings along the Wilshire Corridor), and these are just going to add to that.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #39
MarshallKnight

This isn't actually news, I was just on a Century City tear and did a search out of curiosity; found that this redevelopment has a website with the copyright updated to 2015... suggesting this is still alive hopefully.

Anyway, there were a couple gallery shots in there that I hadn't seen before:

Looks like a pretty inviting little retail plaza actually! And right across the street from the future Purple Line stop. Certainly seems pretty pedestrian-oriented compared the mall, which is pretty abysmal to walk into from any direction except the North.

Seoul_Korea, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #40
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I hope this is still alive, Century city needs more buildings, and twin towers are cool of course
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles, redevelopment