daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:44 PM   #2001
Aaronaa4
ShanghaiPro

Likes (Received): 159

Hey guys! I just made a March update on this Tower, I promise it won't disappoint

http://youtu.be/6EQS7xwnwag

I make monthly video updates on several supertalls around the world, and would like to thank all of you for all the miraculous pics on this forum!
Enjoy the video )

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Aaronaa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM   #2002
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

I am not biased, but this tower is one of my favorite. Its going to stick out like a sore thumb, but will be a brilliant addition to the skyline. Between the shape of the building, the lights, and tons of LED's its going more resemble a tower in HK, or Shanghai, and will be a big change from what we usually build. I just wish they had more balls, and built the roof up to the 1100 foot mark, and then stuck a lit up spire on top of that! The US Bank tower will still have a higher roof, and top occupied floors, and its rumored that management will be opening up the 69-71 floors for observation deck, sky lobby, and restaurant above. The top floor of WG will be a little higher than AON, or pretty much just under the top shoulders on US Bank.

As far as lasting in a literal sense? This is probably one of the most stout towers built in the country. The US Bank tower (finished in later 80's) was built to withstand up to an 8.5 quake, and it would be doubtful it would fall even if a larger one to hit than that. Engineers knew that when San Andreas snaps loose, it can shake from 1.5 to 3 minutes of shaking!

I wonder what kind of standard they are using with the WG. Obviously its new, so its the latest and greatest. I saw an animation of the building structure on their website, which shows how it absorbs the shaking. I wonder if they are putting a "number" on its ability, representing the size of the quake in magnitude. I am sure this has to be able to withstand at least an 8.0?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #2003
PinPeat

Likes (Received): 184478

as today 03/03/2015

#WilshireGrand by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #2004
PinPeat

03/03/2015

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #2005
PinPeat

03/03/2015

Old March 6th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #2006
Indica
Top of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
I am not biased, but this tower is one of my favorite. Its going to stick out like a sore thumb, but will be a brilliant addition to the skyline. Between the shape of the building, the lights, and tons of LED's its going more resemble a tower in HK, or Shanghai, and will be a big change from what we usually build. I just wish they had more balls, and built the roof up to the 1100 foot mark, and then stuck a lit up spire on top of that! The US Bank tower will still have a higher roof, and top occupied floors, and its rumored that management will be opening up the 69-71 floors for observation deck, sky lobby, and restaurant above. The top floor of WG will be a little higher than AON, or pretty much just under the top shoulders on US Bank.

As far as lasting in a literal sense? This is probably one of the most stout towers built in the country. The US Bank tower (finished in later 80's) was built to withstand up to an 8.5 quake, and it would be doubtful it would fall even if a larger one than that were to hit unless we are talking about a 9. Engineers knew that when San Andreas snaps loose, it can shake from 1.5 to 3 minutes of shaking!

I wonder what kind of standard they are using with the WG. Obviously its new, so its the latest and greatest. I saw an animation of the building structure on their website, which shows how it absorbs the shaking. I wonder if they are putting a "number" on its ability, representing the size of the quake in magnitude. I am sure this has to be able to withstand at least an 8.0?
Found the answer to my own question, for the most part at least.. lol

http://graphics.latimes.com/wilshire-grand-earthquakes/

I still wonder how this compares to the US Bank tower, since they actually went nuts on the core of that building, and was the most stout tower of that size, ever built up to that point. I got the link above from the WG website. Its really cool that they are posting all this info - putting it out there for average people to see is the best way to do things!

US Bank was built to withstand up to an 8.5 San Andreas Quake, and shaking from that fault (especially with a wall-to-wall rupture) would last from 1-3 minutes. There is the Puente Hills fault, that runs at an angle directly underneath DTLA, and it was recently found that it can produce up to a 7.5, so that would probably be worse than an 8.0 on the San Andreas which has to travel just over 60 miles at its closest point. It seems that the fault under DTLA is probably causing the most worry, since they recently found that there is a high probability it can snap at any time.

Reading the comments at the bottom of the article is entertaining, seeing how clueless most people are to this shit. One comment was talking about, falling glass, and other shit crashing into the street and crushing people, but windows in towers dont typically break - Its very rare. Ultimately DTLA is one of the safest places to be, IF you are inside one of these towers. If you are on the street, run into one. I dont think there would be much falling into the street unless its a severe quake (7.6 and above), and even then it would not be too much. Now if you are in the "old" section of LA, in the banking, theater, or related districts with all the early 1900's era buildings, that could be a problem and I would not want to be there unless I was in a building that was updated substantially. I would expect a ton of shit to be falling off the buildings in that area, so being on the street under those buildings is not very good.

Another person was talking about the Sylmar quake in 1971, being a 7.1, when in reality it was a 6.5 - Northridge quake in 1994 created 3 times the G forces (acceleration rates) as the Sylmar event, 23 years before. Northridge was a 6.7 on paper as it was rated, but I have a friend who's father worked for Caltech, and he talked about how that one was really a 7.1, and was downgraded on purpose - they even pushed it farther down from 6.8. The reason that state authorities may have been trying to keep that hush-hush, is because there was a loophole in the FEMA laws, that stated FEMA would not help if it was 7.2 or above. At the time, the Northridge quake was the most costly disaster to hit the continental US ever. Obviously with other disasters around the country that have happened since, that has changed. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if FEMA was not able to help - it would have been a lot worse, because that was how people got loans to pay for the damage and retrofitting. My father had a 10 story building in Korea Town at the, and after Sylmar they did not repair it correctly - They filled in the cracks with plaster, which is a big no-no. Those same cracks opened up even larger, and new cracks appeared as well. This was a solid, steel framed building, and thick concrete walls and floors, and it was built in 1926. The building held up fine and was green tagged, but the cracks looked very menacing, and tenants started moving out on a large scale after that. FEMA told my father he was shit out of luck, and they would not grant him a loan because of the age of the building. Some help those ******* bastards were... My father lost that building, and it was almost fully paid off (reverted back to original owner) - I dont like FEMA at all, and they are corrupt SOB's.

If you look at the Modified Mercali Scale which measures intensity from 1-12, Northridge actually rated between 9, and in some areas a 10, and usually quakes measuring 7.2 and up (on Richter scale) are of that intensity.

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/Mercalli.html

My guess, is that anything built after late 50's to early 60's range (especially steel framed), is pretty much going to hold up pretty well to large quakes. Buildings like City Hall which are older, but have been extensively updated also usually fit into that category. LA times did an article a while back, covering certain specific buildings that were deemed not to be safe and needs upgrades and they showed them on a map and provided as many details as possible after attempting to speak with the building owner's.

It is probably easy to tell this is something that fascinates the hell out of me. I live in the Marina, and its all landfill with capped oil wells in the area. It shakes VERY hard over there, and its prone to liquefaction.

WTF is wrong with this site?? Every time I try to post something, it get this message.. "Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded. Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

I have been here since 2003 and have never seen this before...
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #2007
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

this tower will most likely see "80s" top floors considering they all ready skipped more than 7. 73 real floors plus the ones they all ready skipped plus any they decide to skip higher up gives us 80s floor numbers. what you guys think?

112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #2008
PinPeat

Today 03/06/2015

Wilshire Grand by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #2009
Indica
Top of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597Jorge View Post
this tower will most likely see "80s" top floors considering they all ready skipped more than 7. 73 real floors plus the ones they all ready skipped plus any they decide to skip higher up gives us 80s floor numbers. what you guys think?
Its hard to say - they may play the numbers game on this one. I am a little confused, as to if this is 73 floors total by counting every floor and not including the skipped floors, or if it does include the skipped floors.

If the overall count includes the skipped floors, than we may end up seeing "only" 60+ floors when standing outside the topped out building, and counting from the outside. The interior lobby appears to have 2 mezzanine levels, which is 3 floors total. The concrete core ends at around 841 feet, which means that it stops below the top of Aon Tower.

I really wish they pushed the actual height of the tower up further, this is the second largest city in America. They already know how to build these, to resist big quakes. Maybe they should have not had such a slender design, that would have a larger (in area) foundation, and larger core. The core has VERY thick walls especially at the bottom (4ft thick), but its slender. I am curious as to how many elevators they are going to be able to fit, and whatever they do fit in there, they are going to have to more very fast, so they are efficient. These are offices, and hotel rooms. But with the hotel, you go straight up to 70th floor, and then check in, and descend down to your room on one of the floors below.

Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #2010
112597Jorge

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
Its hard to say - they may play the numbers game on this one. I am a little confused, as to if this is 73 floors total by counting every floor and not including the skipped floors, or if it does include the skipped floors.

If the overall count includes the skipped floors, than we may end up seeing "only" 60+ floors when standing outside the topped out building, and counting from the outside. The interior lobby appears to have 2 mezzanine levels, which is 3 floors total. The concrete core ends at around 841 feet, which means that it stops below the top of Aon Tower.

I really wish they pushed the actual height of the tower up further, this is the second largest city in America. They already know how to build these, to resist big quakes. Maybe they should have not had such a slender design, that would have a larger (in area) foundation, and larger core. The core has VERY thick walls especially at the bottom (4ft thick), but its slender. I am curious as to how many elevators they are going to be able to fit, and whatever they do fit in there, they are going to have to more very fast, so they are efficient. These are offices, and hotel rooms. But with the hotel, you go straight up to 70th floor, and then check in, and descend down to your room on one of the floors below.
it will be 73 floors in reality (real floors), its confirmed by the renderings.

112597Jorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #2011
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

I find that even the core on this building is attractive. I don't think I've ever said that before.

Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #2012
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Glad they got rid of the stupid law requiring LA skyscrapers to include rooftop helicopter landing pads. This will be the first of the tall LA buildings to not have a plain flat roof and should begin the process of making the LA skyline less of a disappointment over the coming decades.

DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #2013
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Glad they got rid of the stupid law requiring LA skyscrapers to include rooftop helicopter landing pads. This will be the first of the tall LA buildings to not have a plain flat roof and should begin the process of making the LA skyline less of a disappointment over the coming decades.
I think it does actually have a helipad.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM   #2014
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think it does actually have a helipad.
Indeed it does, but it will be leading the charge when it comes to spires. Wilshire Grand, along with the Mack Urban tower, and the new extension to the Marriott at LA Live are all bringing spires to the core that haven't existed in our skyline. It should bring a nice new feel to the overall cityscape and I can't wait to see what other projects have spires in their designs

Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #2015
kevnasty27

Likes (Received): 154

Progress

Wilshire Grand Center Facebook
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #2016
PinPeat

As today 03/10/2015

Wilshire Grand Tower by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

WilliamsP, j-biz, Kykypy3o, Radio Raheem, Ello and 9 others liked this post
PinPeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #2017
murciallogo

Likes (Received): 57

The location is PERFECT

PinPeat, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
murciallogo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #2018
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

it is taking shape....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #2019
PinPeat

As today 03/11/2015

Last edited by PinPeat; March 12th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
PinPeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #2020
PinPeat

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower