daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:37 AM   #241
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Any news or updates on this project?

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:41 PM   #242
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Still on track to start destruction of the Wilshire Grand Hotel in the fall.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #243
BWYuko

Likes (Received): 63

Soup, as another Angelino, I'd like to hear what you think this project is going to do to auto traffic Downtown by the time construction tops out in 2015. Don't you think attracting new tenants and tourists on that sort of scale to the general LA Live area is just going to make the city's already infamous congestion problems even worse? I mean... I'm all for vertical construction in LA, and this particular design is gorgeous, plus the sprawl is getting heinous. But convincing the entire basin and its suburbs to start using alternative transportation en masse to get about town seems unrealistic, no?
BWYuko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #244
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

It will be nice to watch some demo/clean up/excavation/build in the city of Angels!!
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #245
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
Soup, as another Angelino, I'd like to hear what you think this project is going to do to auto traffic Downtown by the time construction tops out in 2015. Don't you think attracting new tenants and tourists on that sort of scale to the general LA Live area is just going to make the city's already infamous congestion problems even worse? I mean... I'm all for vertical construction in LA, and this particular design is gorgeous, plus the sprawl is getting heinous. But convincing the entire basin and its suburbs to start using alternative transportation en masse to get about town seems unrealistic, no?
the one area ready to handle these types of buildings and development is downtown. I live in downtown and let me be the first to tell you that the traffic is not as bad as its made out to be. the main reason for congestion on the 110 freeway is the 101 connector. anyways, auto traffic has not increased in the last 20 years. wanna know why? cause thats when the metro started to operate. there are 350,000 boardings a day and the number is only going up. Bring it on and plenty more projects like this all over Downtown LA.

also, LA stopped sprawling long ago. Now, if you are including the Inland Empire as LA, then i see what you mean, but that is a different county altogether. Last point i would like to make... traffic is not a bad thing. all major cities have traffic and what it means is that there is demand for that area.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #246
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
Not really. I mean LA Live is connected to the Blue Line which will also be connected with the Expo Line. Then of course is the 7th and Metro Station which is right across from the Wilshire Grand so I don't see a problem with people getting in and out of downtown. The only time when downtown is ever fully congested is during events at Staples/LA Live and people will adapt.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #247
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
also, LA stopped sprawling long ago. Now, if you are including the Inland Empire as LA, then i see what you mean, but that is a different county altogether. Last point i would like to make... traffic is not a bad thing. all major cities have traffic and what it means is that there is demand for that area.
The only reason L.A. "stopped" sprawling was because it ran out of room . That's just dabbling in semantics really because the exact same thing is still going on today but now that it's outside of L.A. county we get this idea that the problem has somehow been solved . It hasn't . As long as any area in the I.E. continues to sprawl , L.A. continues to sprawl .

As for the effect of mass transit on L.A. traffic woes , the truth is that it's negligible . The peole who took the bus fifteen years ago are the same people taking the train today . It's not buses that make traffic unbearable , it's cars so other than making the bus system slightly less profitable , we've moved the costs to another public system . I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but you seriously can't make an argument that mass transit developments in L.A. have had any notable effect on traffic congestion . Remember , L.A. has NOT added significant amounts of office space to the downtown in twenty years . In other words , the real reason that traffic hasn't increased is because nothing has really changed .

Lastly , traffic congestion says nothing at all about how much demand there is in any given area . It tells you a lot about commuting patterns , destination points (what you're actually referring to) and transportation infrastructure deficiencies but little about demand . Traffic is fine to a point but you need to make a big distinction between pedestrian traffic and vehicular traffic . Just because a hundred thousand people drive by a store doesn't mean even one of them will (or even can) stop in and buy something .

Now , how much will this development affect traffic ? It will of course have some effect but , for the time being at least , the impact would be relatively small. Should it spur further large-scale developments then things will change dramatically but by itself , it's unlikely to cause any serious changes .
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #248
Spocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
The only reason L.A. "stopped" sprawling was because it ran out of room . That's just dabbling in semantics really because the exact same thing is still going on today but now that it's outside of L.A. county we get this idea that the problem has somehow been solved . It hasn't . As long as any area in the I.E. continues to sprawl , L.A. continues to sprawl .

As for the effect of mass transit on L.A. traffic woes , the truth is that it's negligible . The peole who took the bus fifteen years ago are the same people taking the train today . It's not buses that make traffic unbearable , it's cars so other than making the bus system slightly less profitable , we've moved the costs to another public system . I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but you seriously can't make an argument that mass transit developments in L.A. have had any notable effect on traffic congestion . Remember , L.A. has NOT added significant amounts of office space to the downtown in twenty years . In other words , the real reason that traffic hasn't increased is because nothing has really changed .

Lastly , traffic congestion says nothing at all about how much demand there is in any given area . It tells you a lot about commuting patterns , destination points (what you're actually referring to) and transportation infrastructure deficiencies but little about demand . Traffic is fine to a point but you need to make a big distinction between pedestrian traffic and vehicular traffic . Just because a hundred thousand people drive by a store doesn't mean even one of them will (or even can) stop in and buy something .

Now , how much will this development affect traffic ? It will of course have some effect but , for the time being at least , the impact would be relatively small. Should it spur further large-scale developments then things will change dramatically but by itself , it's unlikely to cause any serious changes .
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM   #249
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Ran out of room? You're kidding me right? I've seen countless proposals for buildings that are set and ready to go such as the sister hotel to LA Live and the Wilshire project with room for their projects. There are countless abandoned buildings that are just sitting there, could easily be demolished and be replaced, room isn't the issue, it's investors. Face it, LA's downtown isn't a New York, although it could be, all it takes is production and the increase of the downtown area.

Personally, I'm all for Farmers Field, it would bring thousands to downtown during match days and would bring a nice stadium in the skyline. I believe midtown should receive heavy production. It hardly has any skyscrapers. LA's downtown should be easily connectible with Century City. All it takes is a couple dozen towers and a nice wide Blvd to connect them.

Another thing, take a look at bunker hill, it has large spaces used for parking, a building could easily use that space, LA really needs to invest in underground parking structures.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM   #250
Spocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Ran out of room? You're kidding me right? I've seen countless proposals for buildings that are set and ready to go such as the sister hotel to LA Live and the Wilshire project with room for their projects. There are countless abandoned buildings that are just sitting there, could easily be demolished and be replaced, room isn't the issue, it's investors. Face it, LA's downtown isn't a New York, although it could be, all it takes is production and the increase of the downtown area.
Of course I'm not kidding . Really , the question is why you would think that I was .
You're talking about adding density and developing brownfield sites . That's not the same as sprawl which is what I'm talking about (and should have been obvious from my post) There is nowhere else for L.A. proper to sprawl out to because it's already been developed .
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #251
MissyC

there is still plenty of space in LA and GLA ... the problem: they build huge huge houses there
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #252
MissyC

and the skyscrapers too are massive it seems! by comparison to some other American and Canadian cities, that is why I love the scale of the skyline of LA.
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #253
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Of course, the nice thing about sprawl is that it's really easy to tear down for better developments, if we can just get more dense, mixed-use zoning allowed, in more places.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #254
kt

Likes (Received): 466

65 fl = 381m = spire? or antena?
kt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #255
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

381m/1250ft to the Spire, so it'll tie with the Empire State Building
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #256
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

ESB including spire is 400m+ I think.

EDIT: ya it's 443m including spire.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #257
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

ESB is 443m to the antenna. But to the top of the roof (or whatever the hell you'd call that gray part lol) it's 381m
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #258
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

the gray part is the spire lol
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #259
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

To me there's no difference in antenna or spire.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #260
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

People can walk around in ESB spire or the gray part as some would say.

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower