daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #2681
Adam23

Likes (Received): 1478

I'm not concerned about it's roof height, or that 'the spire doesn't count.' These arguments are frankly childish, like a nagging child wanting more icecream.

This building is so much more than just another building on the skyline- it's giving investors and companies confidence in DTLA's future. Look at the flurry of new projects that have been announced during the construction of this tower- these are truly exciting times for downtown!

I'm thrilled about this tower- it looks stunning, and remember that this tower has essentially started the next skyscraper boom in the city- many more will follow after it's completion!

geoking66, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Adam23 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #2682

Likes (Received): 304

Spire height counts on every other building built before this one. I agree with everything else about downtown.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
10064 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2683
NativeOrange

Likes (Received): 47

Also, the spire is incorporated into the design. If you look at the rendering that shows the view looking straight up from the fig side, the spire seems attached to a base that makes its way down the front of the building down to about the level of the observation deck. The little piece that juts out a few floors up and travels all the way to the roof shows the base/lower portion of the spire coming down the front side of the structure.

NativeOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #2684
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50739

Wilshire Grand by Sterling Davis, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Sterling Davis, on Flickr

LA 2015-25 by Jack Wilkie, on Flickr

LA 2015-22 by Jack Wilkie, on Flickr

LA 2015-4 by Jack Wilkie, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #2685
Archistorian

Likes (Received): 4

They’ve installed a glass panel on the south façade that appears to have the wrong tint—it’s centrally located, four rows of glass below the floors with the exposed bracing. It has a blue cast to it and is quite conspicuous against the silvery reflection of the rest of the façade. I wonder if they’ve noted it for replacement.

Archistorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:35 AM   #2686
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Just realized I can finally see WG from the northern edge of LA - The hills in Porter Ranch 23 miles away. That light on the crane is very bright.

PinPeat, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #2687

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgtman1992 View Post
Just realized I can finally see WG from the northern edge of LA - The hills in Porter Ranch 23 miles away. That light on the crane is very bright.
That's the construction lights lighting up the core 850' up. In addition the 1st floor of hotel rooms above the bracing are getting glass today.

Old December 8th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #2688
pesto

Likes (Received): 3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10064 View Post
That's the construction lights lighting up the core 850' up. In addition the 1st floor of hotel rooms above the bracing are getting glass today.
What's remarkable is that you are still in the City of LA in that location.
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #2689
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post
It will not surpass US Bank though. It will still look shorter.
True, US Bank has greater roof height and stands on higher ground, and as such will remain the visual highpoint of the skyline. Wilshire Grand is a nice building and will enhance the skyline, I just wish it didn't have the spire, which in this case exists solely to add height.

SMCYB, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #2690
pesto

Likes (Received): 3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
True, US Bank has greater roof height and stands on higher ground, and as such will remain the visual highpoint of the skyline. Wilshire Grand is a nice building and will enhance the skyline, I just wish it didn't have the spire, which in this case exists solely to add height.
It will not surpass US Bank. Spires do not count no matter how integrated they are into anything. Once you leave the highest regularly occupied level you get into "big [email protected] contest" fan boys trying to outdo each other. Wasteful and embarrassing.

SMCYB, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #2691

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
It will not surpass US Bank. Spires do not count no matter how integrated they are into anything. Once you leave the highest regularly occupied level you get into "big [email protected] contest" fan boys trying to outdo each other. Wasteful and embarrassing.
They do count in regards to documented official height. Not different public opinions out there. If spires don't count they better change the height of every building with one including the BK that has a pipe for the top part. The KT under construction they say will be the 1st building to reach 1 kilometer 3,280' Yet there are no floors for the top 1000'

Last edited by 10064; December 9th, 2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #2692
metrocity789

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
I would like to see photos of the progress.

metrocity789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #2693
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19062

Quote:
They do count in regards to documented official height. Not different public opinions out there. If spires don't count they better change the height of every building with one including the BK that has a pipe for the top part. The KT under construction they say will be the 1st building to reach 1 kilometer 3,280' Yet there are no floors for the top 1000'
I believe only SSC forumers care much about the technicalities. Visually, this building won't be Los Angeles tallest, and that's how the average person will see it.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #2694
Archistorian

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
While US Bank Tower does stand on higher ground, it’s not by much. There may actually be as little as a 10-15 foot difference between the elevation of the US Bank Tower site and that for the Wilshire Grand, so their highest points as they appear in the skyline will be fairly close to the actual relationship between the heights of the two towers.

Most people overlook the fact that the elevation of a large portion of downtown (Bunker Hill excluded) rises continuously as you progress west toward Figueroa and beyond.

The elevation of the NW corner of 5th and Figueroa (Union Bank Tower) is actually slightly higher than that of the US Bank Tower. Heading south, the 500 block of S. Figueroa is fairly level, with only a very slight drop in elevation as you progress toward the Jonathan Club. The elevation drops slightly more along the shorter 600 block of S. Figueroa (PWC Tower). And by the time you cross Wilshire to the Wilshire Grand site, you’re still likely to be no more than 15 feet lower than the elevation of the US Bank Tower site.

Last edited by Archistorian; December 10th, 2015 at 03:13 AM.
Archistorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
I believe only SSC forumers care much about the technicalities. Visually, this building won't be Los Angeles tallest, and that's how the average person will see it.
It is still 1,100' of steel above the lobby. And it counts just the same as any other building world wide with a spire does.

Last edited by 10064; December 9th, 2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #2696
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

Dusk in West Hollywood (November 18, 2015) # by Chris Panagakis, on Flickr
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #2697
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19062

Quote:
It is still 1,100' of steel above the lobby. And it counts just the same as any other building world wide with a spire does.
But as I said, only us care about it. Place a "normal" person in one of the LA mountains and ask him/her to point out the tallest building in the city. What I'm saying is US Bank Tower will look taller.

Anyway, to me what matters is LA's skyline will become even more beautiful with this addition.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #2698
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Looks that it is already the third tallest building in LA. Pretty close to AON. The core seems close to top out, I think it (the core) will have approximately the height of AON isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post

LA 2015-25 by Jack Wilkie, on Flickr

Last edited by CCs77; December 9th, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #2699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
But as I said, only us care about it. Place a "normal" person in one of the LA mountains and ask him/her to point out the tallest building in the city. What I'm saying is US Bank Tower will look taller.

Anyway, to me what matters is LA's skyline will become even more beautiful with this addition.
I was referring to the overall 1,100' height that is the official documented height. Not the different heights that some people believe are the final heights. Such as the top floor or the roof. If you are looking from the Mountains as you say 10 to 30 miles away and can't see the spire.The US Bank will look taller. At night ask the same question and you will get a different answer with the entire WG lit up to the top of the 1,100' spire. The spire will be higher into the atmosphere then the US Banks lit up crown. What i'm interested in seeing are double high points in the sky expanding the skyline to the south.

Last edited by 10064; December 9th, 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #2700
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50739

IMG_2100 by Michael, on Flickr

IMG_2096 by Michael, on Flickr

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower