daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #3421
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Regarding the Mohawk hair cut, I always cringe when I read that comparison. It is not a good comparison, because that is not a permanent fixture in some person body, as a matter of fact, it must have to be redone every morning after waking up or taking a shower. In any case a better comparison would be horns, since those would be permanent fixtures in the body (if humans had them) Spires are permanent architectonic fixtures in a building. Antennas are not, because they could be added or removed, lengthned or shortned according to broadcasting needs.

I said crew cut not Mohawk, two very different things. A flat top is a crew cut style, and the buildings under discussion indeed have flat tops. Regardless, what a bizarre objection you have to my analogy. I won't even go near the horns thing.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #3422
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Wilshire Grand. The crown continues to grow. The front of it is being added on.

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

Old July 30th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #3423
carewser

Likes (Received): 15

I don't really care about that little stick on top because only people close to the building will even be able to see it. Regardless, LA is getting a new second tallest and a great looking building at that.

Last edited by carewser; April 30th, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #3424
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
I said crew cut not Mohawk, two very different things. A flat top is a crew cut style, and the buildings under discussion indeed have flat tops. Regardless, what a bizarre objection you have to my analogy. I won't even go near the horns thing.
I guess it is my fault for the way I wrote the reply, it may seem as all of it was in response to your post, as a matter of fact, it was only the first two paragraphs. My apologies. The thing about the mohawk was for another, older post from another person, but that comparison of the mohawk I've seen too many times and as I said, I always cringe when I read it because I don't find it very good as a comparison. (although in the case of this building, it indeed looks as it has a mohawk )

ChuckScraperMiami#1, spidey7312 liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 09:29 AM   #3425
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

Took some photos from Skyspace LA

Old August 1st, 2016, 01:28 AM   #3426
PinPeat

Likes (Received): 184478

Saturday July 30th, 2016

Los Angeles at Night by April Reppucci, on Flickr

city of angels 2 by Daniel Wei, on Flickr

The tower rises... #dtla #muchlatergram by david hudson, on Flickr
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:42 AM   #3427
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50750

LA by Raymond Cuahuizo, on Flickr
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:25 AM   #3428
immunology

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinPeat View Post
Saturday July 30th, 2016
Wow look how short it looks. If buildings had feelings, US Bank would be saying "HA HA"
Old August 1st, 2016, 12:42 PM   #3429
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

I love L.A.

I saw this bad boy under construction in March and was impressed by it. Can't wait to see the finished product.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Kenni, Zaz965 liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:05 AM   #3430
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

I wish other buildings had the same construction rate. This went up so fast!

Last edited by Amecurty; August 2nd, 2016 at 12:24 AM.
Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:08 AM   #3431
JTCA

Likes (Received): 50

This building is one of the best of a generation of new towers. It brings one of the first truly new 'metamodern' tall buildings in DTLA (with the Ritz being the first)
It's placement is key, near a subway portal, its design complements all of the other towers around it and its curved shape and spire make it a first of its type in DTLA.
To all of the handwringing over its "lack of height"...the developers said it would be "second tallest building"...but the organization that sets these rules clearly measure architectural spires, so that's where the title comes from. Its still, if nothing else, a 934' tower with a 166' spire. That alone is staggering considering LA hasn't built anything over 700' in 24 years. It will make a good counterpart to the stately and big shouldered look of the US Bank tower. I've said it before, they will be the king and queen of the skyline.
And sorry, but my opinion is that it is the most attractive of the Supertalls going up outside of NY or Chicago.
Awesome pictures you guys. The LA skyline is rapidly transforming with WG being one of the highlights.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:11 AM   #3432
Nuwanda

Well said.

If we were to stand a 400 metre turd on its end and call it a building, I suspect some people would applaud it purely on the basis of its height regardless of how much it stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCA View Post
This building is one of the best of a generation of new towers. It brings one of the first truly new 'metamodern' tall buildings in DTLA (with the Ritz being the first)
It's placement is key, near a subway portal, its design complements all of the other towers around it and its curved shape and spire make it a first of its type in DTLA.
To all of the handwringing over its "lack of height"...the developers said it would be "second tallest building"...but the organization that sets these rules clearly measure architectural spires, so that's where the title comes from. Its still, if nothing else, a 934' tower with a 166' spire. That alone is staggering considering LA hasn't built anything over 700' in 24 years. It will make a good counterpart to the stately and big shouldered look of the US Bank tower. I've said it before, they will be the king and queen of the skyline.
And sorry, but my opinion is that it is the most attractive of the Supertalls going up outside of NY or Chicago.
Awesome pictures you guys. The LA skyline is rapidly transforming with WG being one of the highlights.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, aquamaroon liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:08 AM   #3433
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Well said.

If we were to stand a 400 metre turd on its end and call it a building, I suspect some people would applaud it purely on the basis of its height regardless of how much it stinks.
No idea where you're getting this from or how you got that from JTCA's comment.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:09 AM   #3434
kcimos

Likes (Received): 20

Assuming that last photo was taken near Santee & Pico, WG (at 5239' away) is 224' closer to the camera than B1(at 5463' away).

What MUST also be considered, in all fairness, is that the site of B1 is 16' higher in elevation than that of WG.

kcimos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:55 AM   #3435
Nuwanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
Assuming that last photo was taken near Santee & Pico, WG (at 5239' away) is 224' closer to the camera than B1(at 5463' away).

What MUST also be considered, in all fairness, is that the site of B1 is 16' higher in elevation than that of WG.
You're making far too much sense.

And, yes, the truth is if you change your perspective by a few degrees any urban scene will appear different, often dramatically. Frankly, things have gotten pretty silly if building appreciation depends to any serious degree on such mutable factors.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 06:37 AM   #3436
Cardinal-Biggles
Architectural Designer

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCA View Post
Not only that but the US Bank Tower is relatively located in the center of the skyline, so that from any vantage point, it remains in the center. It is such an iconic presence that any tower taller than it, unless built perfectly, will upset the balance and ruin the iconic skyline. A new tower that is taller than the US Bank Tower via more floors will need to be very bold in order to not stick out in a bad way, and I hope I'm guessing right that AC Martin looked into its site's context and used that in their design of their tower.

Skyscrapers not only have to respond to the street level and the urban environment, but to its overall context, which includes its relationship with the other towers.

cnbnca, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Cardinal-Biggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:40 AM   #3437
kcimos

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
You're making far too much sense.

And, yes, the truth is if you change your perspective by a few degrees any urban scene will appear different, often dramatically. Frankly, things have gotten pretty silly if building appreciation depends to any serious degree on such mutable factors.
Although what I said is factual, I didn't mean for it to be taken seriously. I should have added a smiley face.

The reason I bothered checking on that was that I though B1's site was much higher. One more block north & you are 50' higher.

bottom line: 1' tall or 10,0000', its a nice looking building.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:01 PM   #3438
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3039

Here are some photos of the spire and beacon, currently being painted in Nebraska, posted to AC Martin's Facebook page:

H/T SSP user Downtown_Los_Angeles
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:19 PM   #3439
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3039

So as a reminder here is what the spire will look like when finished:

So the metal portion in the photos is the red beacon above, and of course the white portions are the main spire and base.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #3440
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

MADE IN USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...Nebraska also gave birth to another beacon,greatest actor of all time,the incomparable Marlon Brando!
..And this one will never be surpassed!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; August 12th, 2016 at 04:05 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower