daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #3481
412lakes

Likes (Received): 67

^ one of the best shots I've seen of downtown! Good work!
412lakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #3482
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

It almost looks like another city like NY or Chicago or some other..

metrocity789 liked this post
Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #3483
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Our buddies over at UrbanizeLA's Facebook page have linked to this great article in Structure Magazine about the engineering of the sail structure and spire.

Tons of engineering jargon for you wonks out there, as well as some incredible structural diagrams and renders:

Quote:
SAIL STRUCTURAL SYSTEM

The base of the sail is founded on the 73rd floor with the sky bar and reflective pool. The sail houses the uppermost elevators and elevator machine room along with the tactical approach, building maintenance unit (BMU) #1 on the 75th level, BMU #2 on the 76th level, and catwalks for access to LED lighting.

The structural system for the sail is a three dimensional space truss. The sail is approximately 100 feet tall and has a structural steel weight of about 900 tons, with a plan area of about 5,000 square feet.

The lateral forces from the Maximum Considered Earthquake (MCE) are 4.25G in the North-South direction and 5G in the east-west direction. These seismic forces induce uplifts on the wide flange columns as much as 3,800 kips. These high seismic demands are a result of higher mode effects from the supporting tower. These column bases were anchored with what are normally used as rock anchors (DYWIDAGs). These columns have 8 (150ksi), 2½-inch (2.8-inch OD) anchors embedded into the concrete 14 feet.

One of the many design challenges for the support of the sail were the effects of long term creep and shrinkage of the concrete core wall. Portions of the sail are supported directly off the concrete core wall and the edges of the sail extend over the structural steel framing. Over the next 100 years, the concrete core wall will creep and shrink approximately 2 inches more than the elastic shortening of the steel columns. The sail columns at the edges of the steel framing are designed with a 5-inch gap between the bottom of the column and the floor (that would normally support the column). This gap is necessary to keep these columns from pushing down on the steel framing from concrete creep, concrete shrinkage and MCE deflections.

Base of sail with DYWIDAG connectors anchors.

SPIRE

The total height of the spire is 300 feet. The spire is supported vertically off the 72nd floor and is restrained horizontally from wind and seismic forces at the 75th level in the sail. The spire cantilevers 217 feet, with an 83-foot backspan.

Artist rendering of Sail and Spire. Courtesy of AC Martin.

The spire tapers along its height. At the base, the spire is 6½ feet in diameter and 3.33 feet in diameter at the top. The uppermost 17 feet of the spire is a light beacon. It is a tapered stainless steel circular section with perforated holes.

BIM/Revit model of Sail and Spire.

Long term creep and shrinkage of the concrete core wall created support problems for the spire. The lateral restraint of the spire on the 75th level has large steel pins with hinges to allow the sail structure to move downward with creep and shrinkage from the supporting core wall below. From transverse MCE loads, the maximum horizontal reaction is 660 kips per pin. All of the vertical loads of the spire are supported on the 73rd level.

The spire will be erected in 40 sections and bolted together. The bottom sections of the spire are joined together with 144 1-1/8-inch A490 bolts.

Top connection of spire to sail. Courtesy of Schuff Steel.

Hinged connection of spire to sail. Courtesy of Schuff Steel.

The spire will be subject to wind loading over many, many years. To compensate for fatigue over the life of the structure, wind stresses were limited to 10ksi for the 50 year wind event. Ancillary welds to the spire for ladders and maintenance were also prohibited to prevent any adverse effects from welding. All ancillary attachments to the spire will be in drilled and tapped holes with rounded edges. The rounded edges reduce stress concentrations and allow for a more uniform layer of galvanization.

After galvanization, the welds will be peened to relieve residual tensile stresses. The process of peening induces residual compressive stresses in the peened surface. These surface compressive stresses provide better resistance to metal fatigue and to corrosion.

BMUs

There are two building maintenance units housed in the sail. BMU #1 is on the 75th level and BMU #2 is on the 76th level. Each of these BMUs fold outward and telescope upward to clear the sail and maintain the exterior of the structure below.

The building maintenance units for the structure are massive. Their dead weights are approximately 128,000 pounds each. When considering the earthquake response of the BMUs on the sail, they place a 6G demand (700 kip singular reaction) on the sail from 1.5MCE.

The BMU arms extend approximately 100 feet to reach the longitudinal edges of the structure. These BMUs need to accommodate a sloping curtainwall. On the north face of the structure, the building skin (and structural columns) slopes 6 feet horizontally in three floors. On the west face of the structure, the building slopes over 45 feet horizontally along its height. On the east face, the upper portions of the structure extend out past the lower cantilevered portions below. The BMUs have to, in effect, reach under an overhang.

Plan views of BMUs. Courtesy of Skyrider/GinD.

BMU extended at Tower. Courtesy of Skyrider/GinD.

Plan at BMU. Courtesy of Skyrider/GinD.

Section of BMU. Courtesy of Skyrider/GinD.

cnbnca, metrocity789, redspork02, kuzmiak liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; August 19th, 2016 at 06:56 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #3484
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
It almost looks like another city like NY or Chicago or some other..

Nooooooo!!!!........Well,maybe on that nasty pic....But only downtown LA has such a unique and amazing backdrop!
(second:Seattle;third:Kowloon)
Also,i hope our city is gonna keep going predominantly with flat roofs as i don't want LA to become a New York mishmash alike.

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; August 19th, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #3485
JTCA

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbeen View Post
by Kelbeen

Epic Picture Kelbeen. Thank You. I have a new wallpaper on my screen at work now. LOL. This pic is straight up Gotham...just add a few searchlights scanning the sky...lol

Munwon, metrocity789 liked this post
JTCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #3486
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 183

Great picture.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #3487
fordgtman1992
Oregonian at heart

Likes (Received): 223

It still bothers me that the building is not symmetrical, that shot looking straight down the "fin" makes it look so awkward.
fordgtman1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #3488
MarshallKnight

I actually had no idea the fin was going to be asymmetrical until seeing those photos. I agree that it's a little funky ... But then again, you're almost never going to be in a position to see it from such an angle unless you're in a helicopter.

fordgtman1992 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #3489
Kenni
What?

I drove past WG today, coming from the west on Wilshire, so here are some pics from this corner that we rarely see.

I apologize they are not amazing pics. I was driving.

Enjoy.
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #3490
kevito
Caminante sin camino.

Likes (Received): 554

Hi Guys, I took these pictures last Saturday afternoon

Wilshire Grand Center and Figueroa at Wilshire Bulding
by Kevin Castillo

Wilshire Grand Center DTLA
by Kevin Castillo
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:21 AM   #3491
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 2980

8/20

Wilshire Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:41 PM   #3492
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Pics by Kelbeen.

Old August 21st, 2016, 11:22 PM   #3493
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

These pics are damn near the same, figured it was a good comparison.

The entire thing is supposedly lighting up. We shall see what happens.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:42 AM   #3494
MarshallKnight

I was wondering about that. I think that those LED stripes won't be happening, based on the photos aquamaroon found on the AC Martin Facebook page. Unlike the beacon at the top, the main spire segments do not appear to be perforated.

I wasn't exactly obsessed with the idea of the lighted stripes, but it would be too bad if the spire isn't lit somehow. Maybe they'll go a more traditional route and light it from below?
Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:30 PM   #3495
JTCA

Likes (Received): 50

There is another render of the spire that shows the lighting looking more like floodlights positioned at each connection of spire segments, similar to 1 WTC.
Courtesy of DTLA Rising
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:59 AM   #3497
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Bye Tower_guy on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgHH5NgAvc/
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:32 AM   #3498
metrocity789

Likes (Received): 214

THE SPIRE OF MY FAVORITE BUILDING IS GOING UP FAST!!!

jouses, PinPeat, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
metrocity789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #3499
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCA View Post
There is another render of the spire that shows the lighting looking more like floodlights positioned at each connection of spire segments, similar to 1 WTC.
Courtesy of DTLA Rising
That's a render?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #3500
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
That's a render?
Yea, the spire isn't done and lighting hasn't started yet

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower