daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #341
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytimothy View Post
feels like the Koreans are really leading the pack in terms of developments in LA.
It's all about financing. Korean Air has access to capital and that's the difference. Rental projects are going up all over LA but office towers are much harder to finance in the US. The hotel would be financed either way.

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #342
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Agreed. A 750 tall tower is more than enough to stand out in LA's skyline. Apologizes though to those earlier.

I confused this with the Grand Ave project. Construction for neither have not begun. Those on the LA forums were just trolling.

Last edited by Mojeda101; January 12th, 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #343
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

I can't wait to see the hotel tower when it starts rising. This is the project that got me interested in skyscrapers.

I just wonder how many more high rises, skyscrapers, and other big projects will be under construction or complete in downtown by the time this is done.
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #344
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1151

381 to the roof or spire??
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #345
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Spire. It'll be about 332m to the roof.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #346
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

From the Wilshire Grand Hotel website (the one that will be demolished some time this year to make way for the new towers):

tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #347
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Great to see this project and Transbay in SF moving forward. The west coast is heating up.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #348
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28173

Is that a helicopter platform on top? Not the best looking solution. The building looks better without IMO.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #349
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Great to see this project and Transbay in SF moving forward. The west coast is heating up.
Don't forget Seattle: Amazon HQ towers could be skyscrapers or beyond if the city moves to raise the height limits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Is that a helicopter platform on top? Not the best looking solution. The building looks better without IMO.
Helipads on or near the roof are required on all skyscrapers built in Los Angeles. That's why so many towers are flat tops.
Old March 14th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #350
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Don't forget Seattle: Amazon HQ towers could be skyscrapers or beyond if the city moves to raise the height limits!

Helipads on or near the roof are required on all skyscrapers built in Los Angeles. That's why so many towers are flat tops.
I always love to tell people the last thing you said! haha, it's so unique for a city to have that requirement.

ANd I am surprisingly most excited for Seattle's development, I think 3 buildings with 1 million square feet will absolutely enhance downtown! Seattle is already amazing and only getting better.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #351
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

There's another 200+ meter tower in Seattle being planned too, so the skylines of Seattle, SF and LA will all change a lot over this decade.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #352
BWYuko

Likes (Received): 63

Tan, that image was used on their official teaser site for the project for months. I guess they moved it to the hotel's main url now. The most recent ACTUAL news I head from this project came back in February, which merely verified rumors made in January (both on LA Downtown News):

Quote:
FEB 17 2012 - DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - The 1952 Wilshire Grand hotel closed in December and Thomas Properties Group (the developer is a partner in the project with building owner Korean Air) is working on plans to demolish the structure on the northwest corner of Seventh Street and Wilshire Boulevard. Demolition, which will involve a floor-by-floor removal to make way for a 45-story hotel and residential tower, will begin in June and continue through early 2014, said Ayahlushim Getachew, senior vice president of TPG. The new hotel, which would have 560 rooms and about 100 condominiums, is slated to open in late 2015. A second phase of the project would deliver a 60-story office tower. There is no timeline yet for that building. The entire project is valued at $1.1 billion
Apparently the issue before was the means of demolition. Initially they were going to dynamite the hotel structure, but this report suggests they settled on a floor-by-floor removal. Again I'm surprised by the lack of press/interest this is getting... aside from the uncanny Grand Theft Auto V coincidence.
BWYuko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #353
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Office tower plans scrapped

Quote:
Wilshire Grand Hotel Going Single Tower, Ditching Offices

The Wilshire Grand hotel has already closed, and Korean Air has gotten approvals to demolish the building and build a two-tower replacement with 560 hotel rooms and office space. Major curveball: the Downtown News reports today that Korean Air now plans to build just one tower with 900 hotel rooms and "a diminished office component." (But that means fewer walls to for "architectural lighting"/ads!) They've also switched out their development partner, ditching Thomas Properties Group for Martin Project Management, which is headed up by Chris Martin of the project's architecture firm, AC Martin (the DN points out that TPG was supposed to have an ownership stake in the new Wilshire Grand).

Martin tells the paper that the new project should only require administrative changes and won't need to go through another lengthy approval process. In fact, he says that demolition should begin this summer and construction should start in spring 2013, as originally planned. Korean Air decided to make the switch because of Downtown's high office vacancy rate and the "currently hot Downtown hotel market."

Last edited by desertpunk; March 15th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #354
Jay

The tower could still be a supertall and will look completely different. It nearly doubled the number of hotel rooms and there will still be offices just less of them.

Dissapointing there won't be 2 towers, but it still could be LA's new tallest.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #355
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

I can't wait to see the new height and rendering for this tower. I know we were hoping for two but at least we wont have to wait a decade for the office tower to start rising.

I tried to check http://wilshiregrandredevelopment.com/ but it's down.
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #356
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28173

Quote:
at least we wont have to wait a decade for the office tower to start rising
Because it ain't going to be built?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #357
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Office tower is gone, hotel room number doubled. Still can be a supertall, we have to wait to see what the redesign will be. I never thought that the office space would ever happen, with a downtown L.A. vacancy rate of 19%. Its been 20 years for a major new office tower has risen downtown, we are going to have to wait a looong time for another.
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #358
Jay

Quote:
But it looks like a building that tall may be built.

the 560 room hotel was 750 feet high.

a 900 room hotel plus the office component has the potential to be double that yet I doubt that's going to happen, but it could easily, like easily still be higher than 1000 feet. I just don't see how it couldn't be unless it were ungodly fat.
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #359
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Office tower is gone, hotel room number doubled. Still can be a supertall, we have to wait to see what the redesign will be. I never thought that the office space would ever happen, with a downtown L.A. vacancy rate of 19%. Its been 20 years for a major new office tower has risen downtown, we are going to have to wait a looong time for another.
I'm scratching my head on this. First they say they're drastically changing the scope of the hotel. But then they claim they will be building that tower per the original schedule without delay. That either means that they're targeting a different kind of hotel operator and will simply cram more rooms into the existing envelope or they're in a mad rush to redesign the hotel tower to add floors. Remember that many hotels have over 1,000 rooms in buildings under 40 floors. So room count is less telling for me than that timetable. If DTLA can support another high-end branded luxury hotel this baby can go as tall as the office tower that was proposed. If an operator will only sign onto a mid-market product then 900 rooms could be squeezed into the existing 750 footer. And if they mix in Class A office space into this tower, that means the building will have to be redesigned. What I want to hear from Martin is that the site will be cleared as scheduled but that the tower will be delayed due the redesign process.

As for the DTLA office market, it's really only a submarket for office in the Greater Los Angeles area and not the first choice for many tennants. Add to this the sheer quantity of very high quality office space built 20+ years ago. The replacement cycle for office buildings is generally 30-40 years. With no new major banks or tennants in need of large amounts of contiguous office space in LA, the city is only on a replacement track. So another downtown office boom could be a decade away. Of course a tower or two could still be built if a firm simply wants the 'newest and the best'.

Last edited by desertpunk; March 15th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #360
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Quote:
The office space will be added to the hotel building, though it's unclear right now just how much. Like WonderlandPark mentioned, there isn't demand for office space so building a 65 story tower wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited by PinkFloyd; March 16th, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower