daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #3601
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1149

^ Hopefully so.

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #3602
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
I have a feeling they're just testing one section. I think this will be lit like 1WTC's spire: lights on the "circle part" of each section shining up.
Well, 1WTC is the star child of the new age. Think about it. One World Trade Center has a profound impact on both history, tragedy, and a brilliant, dominating and highly venerated trend setter. 1WTC has literally just just kick started the new age of spires across the United States. We're going to see them in all cities across the US who want to keep their skylines popular with the times.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #3603
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13223

@dust.of.the.ground
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #3604
Runninlikehell
Watchin' da Buildings!.

Likes (Received): 891

Cool picture! It looks like another city instead LA.
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #3605
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

"The spire adds 160 feet to the 73-story building. That makes it 1,099 feet high." WTF is with the 1,099 feet? Not that it matters a lot but still. They did the same nonsense with the BOA Tower in New York saying 1,198 or 1,199 in some old documentary about green buildings, when it was being advertised as 1,200 feet...
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #3606
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlikehell View Post
Cool picture! It looks like another city instead LA.
..And it makes you happy!?
They ruined the skyline with that nasty flagpole and it makes me sick!
Wilshire"Grand"definitely does not have the means to fulfil it's ambitions.
Even the overall design is mediocre:reminds me of some subpar resort hotel of Panama city outskirts.
The Gensler designed Ritz-Carlton Hotel & Residences and JW Marriott at L.A. LIVE is MUCH(!!) better!!

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; September 13th, 2016 at 08:16 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #3607
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Oh come on, it's not that bad, I'm sure it will look great once completed, or at least I think so. I can spot other towers (smaller scale) in that picture which could look better, Wilshire Grand looks nice to me.

Last edited by Architecture lover; September 13th, 2016 at 08:43 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #3608
DSDLandscape

Likes (Received): 9

Like/dislike--it's all subjective. This tower looks great. Whatever negative thoughts anyone has, complaining here is going to... what? Cause them to tear it down and build something to your liking?

I for one, think this tower looks awesome! It raises the level for the stature of the skyline immensely. It looks like a ships sail to me, and looking west from the east, has an art deco feel with the mast in the center of the setbacks.

It's also cool when driving south on the 101 through hollywood, how the spire on the capital records building sort of speaks to the spire in the distance. (maybe a stretch, but I still think it's cool that CR is no longer the sole spire in the city.)

Hopefully the building is a financial success and prompts developers to stop with the mid-rises and stack some of these up. A handful of 30-40 floor towers is just not as distinctive as a single supertall. It's also surprising that we haven't seen any spires on new proposals. Seems like apart from the toothpick, you'd see some other creative ideas.

Hopefully soon--it won't be long before this is completed and L.A. will drop off the supertall page!

I
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #3609
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Oh come on, it's not that bad, I'm sure it will look great once completed, or at least I think so. I can spot other towers on that picture that could look better, but Wilshire Grand looks nice.
I am an Angelenos:i have great expectations and an endless love for my city.
I can't be proud of that!..
The famed crime fiction writer and essayist James Ellroy(beloved family friend)told my dad,couple days ago,that he drank a whole bottle of whiskey and loaded his gun with the intent to kill the first to come after seeing that "spire"!!
...Fortunately,he probably collapsed,drunk,before to act!lol!!
..And funny fact,i have an invitation for the grand opening next March!
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #3610
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Well, I don't know how the building looks in person so maybe the impression is different when you see it in the skyline, photos probably give us a wrong impression in a way, maybe the spire should've been shorter, but honestly, I think it doesn't look that bad in the pictures.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #3611
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

It's definitely a strong reaction! Most locals I've spoken to like the spire, and so do I (assuming the lighting problem gets fixed). I was driving East on the 10 freeway the other night, and seeing the beacon rising well above the rooftops of the rest of downtown was pretty special.

I do think it looks better up close than from afar. Against the bulk of the other DTLA towers, the spire can seem pretty dinky, but when you're standing at the base of the WG, it looks huge. I honestly think once there are more non-flat-roofed towers in downtown, it will blend in even better.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #3612
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

The building is uninspired to begin with. This so called iconic skyscraper's footprint is rather small compared to the over-sized 4 story tent of a lobby/plaza and shops that seem awfully out of sync with the skyscraper. They should have designed the skyscraper to be much wider and added another high rise right next to it to compliment each other. What LA doesn't need is more plaza's or those hideous faux Italian staircases or palazzo's right next to skyscrapers.
Also,using the"spire"to make the building appear to be 1,100 feet tall is cheating on a Grand scale..
Moreover, flat tops are part of what makes downtown L.A. different. I wish the City would keep them, if for no other reason than to thwart the hubris-filled and alien UGLINESS of the Wilshire Grand Center!!!
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #3613
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
It's definitely a strong reaction! Most locals I've spoken to like the spire, and so do I (assuming the lighting problem gets fixed). I was driving East on the 10 freeway the other night, and seeing the beacon rising well above the rooftops of the rest of downtown was pretty special.

I do think it looks better up close than from afar. Against the bulk of the other DTLA towers, the spire can seem pretty dinky, but when you're standing at the base of the WG, it looks huge. I honestly think once there are more non-flat-roofed towers in downtown, it will blend in even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Well, I don't know how the building looks in person so maybe the impression is different when you see it in the skyline, photos probably give us a wrong impression in a way, maybe the spire should've been shorter, but honestly, I think it doesn't look that bad in the pictures.
We touched on this subject a couple of weeks ago. Whatever impression pictures give you, my experience has been that looking at it live gives you a different perception. I wasn't sure how the spire would fit and look, but I like it, and it will look great.

I made today's banner of LA, you can see WG there, just picture the spire all lit up.

redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #3614
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

To each his own!!
.. my experience has been that looking at it live gave me an awful sensation. I wasn't sure how the spire would fit and look, but I hate it, and it will look terrible.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #3615
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

Holy overreactions Batman. I like how it looks in person.

LA didn't get all these flat topped buildings because they wanted a "theme". It was because of the dumb helipad ordinance. Look how beautiful city hall looks; a design like that would've been impossible had the rule been in place in the 1920s.

It's good to see the rule gone now so architects are no longer restricted in their visions.

Assemblage23, DeaconG liked this post
PinkFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #3616
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
..And it makes you happy!?
They ruined the skyline with that nasty flagpole and it makes me sick!
Wilshire"Grand"definitely does not have the means to fulfil it's ambitions.
Even the overall design is mediocre:reminds me of some subpar resort hotel of Panama city outskirts.
The Gensler designed Ritz-Carlton Hotel & Residences and JW Marriott at L.A. LIVE is MUCH(!!) better!!
To each his own...

Personally I disagree with you. While becoming "tallest" by virtue of a spire will rub many skyscraper fans the wrong way, IMO this is a beautiful addition that can only enhance downtown. Replacement of a graceless midcentury lowrise by a tall and sleek contemporary tower does not "ruin" anything. Most of the taller buildings in LA are rather unremarkable rectangular boxes, and in comparison Wilshire Grand has a lot more visual interest. The name by the way is not a reference to grandeur, but rather to the intersection of Wilshire and Grand avenues.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #3617
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Seriously,why bother. It's not like King Kong is ever going to visit downtown LA....
Native Angelenos couldn't care less about whether the LA skyline doesn't measure up to new york's. Those who do care are probably wannabe new yorker developer weasels who are trying to convince everyone about how much better things are done in new york. [You know the type..."You call dese westawants? You should see da westawants back in new york."lol!!
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #3618
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
The name by the way is not a reference to grandeur, but rather to the intersection of Wilshire and Grand avenues.

Do you know what a double meaning name is?
By the way,too sad you didn't keep up the great job with your thread!http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1232219

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; September 14th, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:19 AM   #3619
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKUaB5Ej37G/
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #3620
Kenni
What?

I wonder what property is there between the "Sanwa" building and the old "Arco/BofA twin towers? To fill that gap.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower