daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #4081
Amecurty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 278
Likes (Received): 240

I haven't been so curious to see a building all lit up since 432 Park Avenue.
__________________

MarshallKnight liked this post
Amecurty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:38 AM   #4082
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,424
Likes (Received): 10268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
This is an excellent looking tower, theres no doubt about it. However, if we could all put aside our differences for a minute and utilize logic rather than sentiment, then we will all agree that this is NOT a real supertall. We all know that this is a subjective fact. Los Angeles has one real supertall. This building really compliments the rest of the skyline well.
What is a subjective fact? Facts by their very nature are objective (minus the alternative facts beloved by our President and his cabal of sycophants)

Fact: A supertall is 300m according to the CTBUH (the de facto arbiter of skyscraper categorizations)

Fact: Wilshire Grand Center is judged to be 335m because the spire is considered to be a permanent feature of the building design and serves a purely aesthetic function. As the CTBUH states, "Height is measured from the level1 of the lowest, significant, open-air, pedestrian entrance to the architectural top of the building, including spires, but not including antennae, signage, flag poles or other functional-technical equipment. This measurement is the most widely utilized and is employed to define the CTBUH rankings of the "World's Tallest Buildings."

http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/Ta...B/Default.aspx

So both facts are in absolute agreement: The Wilshire Grand Center is the tallest building in Los Angeles (and the West).
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Nuwanda, Towersla liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 07:01 AM   #4083
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 484
Likes (Received): 341

Well done. Couldn't have said it better myself.

But, ah, they say, who made the CTBUH the final arbiter of height? Nobody. But if we can't generally agree upon a set of standards, we effectively have none save our own subjective criteria. And that's fine, too, but that means you can never talk about height with others in any meaningful way. You might as well dispense with the idea in all but the most trivial circumstances.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
What is a subjective fact? Facts by their very nature are objective (minus the alternative facts beloved by our President and his cabal of sycophants)

Fact: A supertall is 300m according to the CTBUH (the de facto arbiter of skyscraper categorizations)

Fact: Wilshire Grand Center is judged to be 335m because the spire is considered to be a permanent feature of the building design and serves a purely aesthetic function. As the CTBUH states, "Height is measured from the level1 of the lowest, significant, open-air, pedestrian entrance to the architectural top of the building, including spires, but not including antennae, signage, flag poles or other functional-technical equipment. This measurement is the most widely utilized and is employed to define the CTBUH rankings of the "World's Tallest Buildings."

http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/Ta...B/Default.aspx

So both facts are in absolute agreement: The Wilshire Grand Center is the tallest building in Los Angeles (and the West).
__________________

aquaticko liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM   #4084
aquamaroon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: City of Stars
Posts: 1,930
Likes (Received): 3022

From the Facebook of photographer Brian Asher:



"Century City & DTLA — with Alison Martino."

Brian Asher Photography Facebook Post
__________________
aquamaroon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:09 PM   #4085
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,698
Likes (Received): 50675

Where I Watched The Oscars by Wilkof Photography, on Flickr

Where I Watched The Oscars 2 by Wilkof Photography, on Flickr

IMG_0811 by Taylor Dunham, on Flickr
__________________
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:54 PM   #4086
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 484
Likes (Received): 341

Lovely pics.

In the first one you can just make out the Price-Waterhouse guys escaping in the dirigible...
__________________

aquamaroon, MarshallKnight, aquaticko liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:51 AM   #4087
aquamaroon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: City of Stars
Posts: 1,930
Likes (Received): 3022

To the getaway blimp!
aquamaroon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:54 AM   #4088
aquamaroon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: City of Stars
Posts: 1,930
Likes (Received): 3022

Wilshire Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr
Wilshire Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr
Wilshire Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr
__________________
aquamaroon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:07 AM   #4089
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 484
Likes (Received): 341

Three stunning pics.

But in the last one it looks so much taller than the US Bank Tower. That'll never do...
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:11 AM   #4090
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BALBOA ISLAND/PASADENA
Posts: 566

Forget the ugly tooth pic:it is smaller!
WCG is a Mickey Mouse building;many tourists who are in downtown think they mistakenly ended in Anaheim!BIG DEAL!!
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:27 AM   #4091
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 484
Likes (Received): 341

Oh, no, it's plainly taller. The pic don't lie...


Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Forget the ugly tooth pic:it is smaller!
WCG is a Mickey Mouse building;many tourists who are in downtown think they mistakenly ended in Anaheim!BIG DEAL!!
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:32 AM   #4092
VRS
Registered User
 
VRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 46,751
Likes (Received): 11519

lovely photos
almost same height with the tallest tower at LA now ???

Last edited by VRS; March 3rd, 2017 at 04:42 AM.
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #4093
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,698
Likes (Received): 50675



20170301_142551 by rayj08baby1, on Flickr



IMG_6085 by Jakob Patterson, on Flickr



IMG_6101 by Jakob Patterson, on Flickr
__________________
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #4094
prp002
Registered User
 
prp002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney 2000
Posts: 4,825
Likes (Received): 2028

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Forget the ugly tooth pic:it is smaller!
WCG is a Mickey Mouse building;many tourists who are in downtown think they mistakenly ended in Anaheim!BIG DEAL!!
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
__________________

uakoops liked this post
prp002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #4095
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,185
Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
lovely photos
almost same height with the tallest tower at LA now ???
This is the tallest tower in L.A. now. The downtown area has hills, so it may be a bit visually disorientating, but this tower is now the tallest.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #4096
CharlesSwann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 67

Really nice!!!
CharlesSwann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #4097
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,698
Likes (Received): 50675

IMG_5482 by Jakob Patterson, on Flickr

IMG_1820 by Jakob Patterson, on Flickr

IMG_1825 by Jakob Patterson, on Flickr
__________________
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #4098
lovecities888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 333
Likes (Received): 188

In reality, the tallest "building" (meaning just the building itself) on the West Coast is the Salesforce Tower. But because you add a spire, WGC is the tallest. That is how it should be interpreted.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #4099
Nuwanda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 484
Likes (Received): 341

You've just given two contradictory definitions of tallest, therefore you've negated the meaning of tallest.

You can no longer make the statement, "This building is tallest", without begging the question: by what standard?

You can only say, "The Salesforce Tower is the tallest if you don't count the spire on Wilshire Grand." Or, "Whilshire Grand is the tallest unless you don't count the spire in which case Salesforce is tallest."

Further, you are now obliged to make fully-qualified statements like that every time you talk about height. You can't just assume others are using the same frame of reference.

And to cap it off, since you, and others, are not in full possession of the facts regarding the structural details of every building, you can't even make such qualified statements with any certainty.

What a ridiculous hole you've dug for yourself.

The only solution is to adhere to a widely-accepted definition to which everyone can repair when using the term "tallest". You may not like the CTBUH definition, but it is by far the most widely-accepted and widely-used definition we have.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
In reality, the tallest "building" (meaning just the building itself) on the West Coast is the Salesforce Tower. But because you add a spire, WGC is the tallest. That is how it should be interpreted.

Last edited by Nuwanda; March 6th, 2017 at 10:48 PM.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #4100
Kelbeen
Kelvin Cheng
 
Kelbeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 471
Likes (Received): 1274

Untitled by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr
__________________

Follow me:

Flickr

Instagram
Kelbeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dtla, korean air group, los angeles, south figueroa street, wilshire boulevard, wilshire grand center, wilshire grand tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu